The Candidate

Through Summer, My Boss

      The room was quiet. "How can a lack of something be so heavy?" Jongin thought, as the pools of silence seemed to flood his ears. Finally, a sound shook the tense atmosphere. Purely a simple sound- the nonrhythmic tapping of a barely used pencil- but a sound nonetheless. The interview had, at that point, been going on for approiximately two hours, and Jongin was no closer to finding out if he was even a likely candidate for the job. "Some bull job.." he mused in his thoughts, a slight smirk threatening to break the stiffness of his expression. See, the only reason he hadn't yet walked out of the interview was the striking good looks of the guy giving it. Mr. Byun; Jongin's possible soon-to-be boss.

      The male in question, who sat looking rather pensive, was wearing nothing more than a off-white shirt, top button pried undone due to the sweltering summer heat, a neatly pressed tie, some thin cotton smart-casual pants and, rather non professionally, baby-pink slipper-sandals. Jongin had many times mentally cursed at himself for showing up to the interview in a full formal suit, complete with a heavy, hot blazer and patent leather shoes.

      The pencil-tapping halted, and the object in question moved to press slightly against the older males bow-arched lips, which Jongin noted matched the color of his slipper-sandals. "It's funny.." Byun started, tired eyes trailing from Jongin's resume and up to scrutinise the younger, "you've sat through my unrelated questions for two hours now, Kim, and haven't questioned why the I'm keeping you around so long for a damn office job." he finished, with a cold laugh wrapping up his sentence. Jongin stared for a few seconds, his eyebrows knitted slightly; half confused and half unsure how to reply in a timely manner. After what felt like around a minute, he opened his mouth, "Ah, well.. I think all jobs have their merit, Mr. Byun! And your questions have been very philosophical," he continued, in complete mental disagreement to the fact 'How many bottles of soju can you handle on a full stomach?' was a philosophical question at all, "and I plan to stay however long it takes to satisfy you that I would be a hard-working, profess--" but he was cut off by another cold laugh, with Byun's eyebrow now raised as he observed Jongin stumble to recite the words from every stock-resume out there. "I get it, Kim. You don't have to give me all that office talk. You're the only one who came for the interview, but the guys up-top gave me a three hour break to interview everyone, so I'm just killing time. You had the job before you got here; and honestly, I pity you. The guys on your floor are the most bland I've ever met, so someone interesting like you will probably have a hard time. And stop the "Mr. Byun" , I'm only a few years older and all you gotta do to move up to my position is drink with a few old guys, so don't think of me as so superior. Call me Baekhyun." he finished, as he pushed the few pieces off paper out of his propped-up file, which Jongin now saw was empty- bar his resume and a print-off article about an upcoming music festival.

      "You.." Jongin began, relaxing into his seat while he let the amusement of the situation settle in, "you chose the right person for the job, Mr-- ah, Baekhyun. Or.. I guess you didn't choose." he joked, clearing his throat and quickly making a comment as the older man's hand reached for the door. "But, you said they gave you three hours?" Jongin asked, curiosity peaked in his deep brown eyes as he watched the slim males hand fall, his head turning as he nodded in confirmation. "So, you have an hour left, we could grab coffee?" Jongin suggested, hiding his hopeful tone as best as he could as to counteract all the brown-nosing he did during the painful interview. "Coffee?" Baekhyun asked, rosy lips tugged into a smile of genuine amusement, "2 hours with a person is enough, Jongin. And I don't drink coffee on Friday nights. I'll see you on Monday." he finished quickly, flicking off the lights and aircon before leaving the room, a slight spring in his step. Jongin watched after him from the window of the dark room.