CHINATOWN

HARLEQUIN

a268a83a345a45fdbcc4257732b4169b35618f0c_hq.jpg

Chapter One : Chinatown


Taehyung busily wrote notes while he began to perspire from his forehead. ‘He’s going so fast!’ He stressed as the professor spoke out loud and rapidly and clearly he wasn’t the only student struggling. ‘Can he give us time to write?’

Two girls sitting in the pair of seats below him began to whisper. “This professor is insane!”

“Yeah. Does he think our hands run as fast as his words?!”

‘Tell me about it.’ Taehyung mentally agreed. It wasn’t enough going through seven other classes this semester. He was seriously stressing out. Taehyung’s pencil lead snapped. Out of instinct he dropped the pencil and zoned out. ‘Why did I even agree?’

Beginning of the semester…
“Kim Taehyung,” The Dean began while overviewing his transcript. ‘Oh no, is something wrong?’ Taehyung assumed the worst. “I have never seen such excellence in our school before and all I have to say is that you are the brightest addition to the Gotham U and I am sure you will have no trouble tackling a few extra classes in your first year would you?” Before Taehyung could answer he added. “The Gotham University counselors who have previously meet with you believe you have the utmost potential to complete at least eight classes this semester because of our special program where the brightest like you can become Gotham’s greatest scientific minds of our time.”

Taehyung could only think, ‘What?’ Did the Dean assume he didn’t have a major in mind yet? “But I haven’t told you my major. And I thought the max of classes was six.” He muttered.

“Well, it is but this would be a perfect exploration wouldn’t you think? This program known as GGSMP, an acronym for Gotham’s Greatest Scientific Minds Project is the perfect start to explore your inner genius. See, in the beginning you will have to take the greatest challenge of all and that is to schedule as several basics classes as you can during your first year and when second year begins you will be joining GGSMP on certain challenging tasks. And if you stick with it the program can pay for your whole tuition, school supplies, living condition and also the additional major you strive for.” The Dean’s grin sent an unwelcome shiver to Taehyung’s spine. “What do you say Mr. Kim? Ready to tackle the world with a head start?” He slid a simple one page contract towards Taehyung.

Hesitantly Taehyung grabbed a nearby pen from the desk. He started to read the contract. “Taehyung, it’s basically in text of what I have already explained to you. In a minute or two I have another appoint with a student.” Taehyung nodded just quickly skipping down to sign it over the line. “Kim Taehyung,” The Dean leaned out his large hand, “Welcome to the GGSMP.”

Students passed Taehyung as class session was clearly over. One girl patted him on the shoulder and he jerked up scared. “Sorry, but class is over. I thought you should know.” She informed before carrying on.

“Y-yes thank you!” Taehyung quickly collected his supplies heading out the double doors.

On the way back to his dorm he was going through his agenda in his mind. “Do the essay for British Literature at 4 o’clock, snack break around 4:45…” turning right at a nearby corner he bumped into another body causing him to forget his agenda. Taehyung got nervous realizing it was a girl.

“Oh sorry, I wasn’t seeing where I was going.” She chuckled nervously ruffling her dark her. He noticed her olive skin tone, she looked quite lovely. “Is something wrong?” She asked with concern since he kept staring at her.

“I...uh.” Without much thought Taehyung walked past her like a zombie.

She frowned a little confused. “Jeez, what’s that guy’s problem?” She asked herself transitioning from proper English to her original southern accent before continuing on her way.

Once he made it to his dorm he closed the door behind him pressing his back against it. 

His roommate noticed. “Uh, you okay? What has you so… panicked?” He chuckled. 

Taehyung managed to speak with a tone of fear. “A-a girl.”

“Oh… she caught your eye didn't she?” His dark toned roommate winked only to mess with him. “So you ran away.” He sighed disappointed. 

“No!” Taehyung was quick to defend himself. “I walked.”

His roommate laughed heartedly as he gathered some sports clothes in his gym bag. “Yeah like that makes it any better.” Taehyung could only glare at him. “Look. The difference between high school and college is that nobody knows you! In college you’ve got to play the same love game just bit more advanced.” He rubbed his chin. “You know what you need? Expert training. Maybe I’ll train you after football practice.” He patted Taehyung’s shoulder.

“No thanks Deandre.” Taehyung shrugged off his roommate's hand. “I have to study, work tonight and study again afterwards.”

“Your loss then!” Deandre turned to grab his gym bag. “I could've taught you how to make a better impression on her next time, if you play it right then she’ll forget all about your first encounter.”

Taehyung furrowed his brows. “How do you know she’ll forget?”

“Well they try to!” He laughed smacking roughly on Taehyung’s wimpy arm. 

He rolled his eyes before patting his now hurting arm. “Yeah thanks a lot Deandre.”

“Hey, at least you get a second chance.” Deandre opened the dorm’s door. “See ya later I gotta get to football practice.”

“Later D.” Taehyung waved a hand before opening his backpack to set up his solo study session. “Okay!” He cracked his knuckles. “Time to get to work.”

He decided to start with the most challenging one—the essay. Throughout the day Taehyung has organized his thoughts on how to start and now all he has to do is write the idea down. His pencil struck with paper starting the draft with his name in English letters.

Taehyung couldn't bring himself to write much else. He only stared at the blank paper. “I’m tired.” He whispered a thought that he tried hard to eliminate from his mindset, clearly continuing with his studies wasn't working. “I’m going to play video games, that should help my stress levels.” Taehyung stood heading towards his game station turning on the television that was automatically already tuned to the news.

“Theft in a drug store late last night. Many hoodlums wore grotesque masks and were armed heavily. The only mask found discarded at the scene was that of a harlequin mask.” The White female reporter explained the robbery. Taehyung changed the channel to where his game system was connected to ready to play.

After about an hour Taehyung was like a zombie once again putting on his restaurant outfit on, work shoes, and carried his messenger bag with homework he can do in between breaks. He opened the dorm door blinking realizing he did the usual without any thought into it. He sighed, “I’m such a zombie.” 'Skip work.' It was as if he subconcious was speaking to him, he ignored it and stepped out of the dorm.

He rode his bike cautiously heading towards Chinatown while the sun was beginning to set. He rode thinking about the zombie thing he thought of earlier while eyeing people casually walking the streets all appearing to have frowns upon their faces, others appeared to be anxiously hurried to get home before crime reaches it’s peak by the end of the day. ‘Living like that day by day, doesn’t it get tiring?’ He wondered. ‘Am I tired of living like this as well? Fearful, paranoid, and weak...like a loser.’ Taehyung frowned trying to rid of his thoughts once more.

He finally made it to Chickees Chicken Shop going into the alleyway scouting for any homeless or thieves that might want to kidnap his poor bike. Taehyung spotted no one and quickly began to hide it behind the dumpster as usual before heading inside.

Taehyung was ultimately surprised by how full the place was. “Great you’re here come on we got a lot to do tonight!” One of the other Korean males working there urged Taehyung as he carried a full tray of drinks.

He quickly headed towards the kitchen and set his messenger bag on the coat hanger in the boss’ small office. “I’m most definitely going to fail British Literature.” Tonight was going to be impossible.

Only three hours in and Taehyung was ultimately exhausted. The boys noticed him in the break room. “We’re very busy Tae, five minute breaks only!” Taehyung nodded trying to drink the coffee he recently made himself.

He eyed his wristwatch. “Only five more hours left to go.” He rubbed the side of his forehead. There was a large pounding in his head. “Please don’t be a headache.” ‘Quit. You know you don't want to be here.’ A thought chimed in his conscious. “Ugh, there it is again. The other me.” This has been happening lately ever since he joined the GGSMP. ‘Am I too stressed that I am hallucinating another little conscious is overtaking my normal one?’ He thought.
 

“Yah!” Taehyung’s boss threw a wash towel at him causing him to react alarmed. “Five minute break is over, back to work!” He urged.

“Right away!” Taehyung stood up heading back into the kitchen.

Gotham Central 11:20 p.m.
In a small bank only a few blocks away from Chinatown the alarms inside began to ring as loud gunshots were heard from the outside. The door was kicked opened by a large man along with others heading behind him. “ were is she?”

“Yeah where the is Quinn?!” A female from the team shouted under her mask beginning to panic.

A large van appeared in time with the back doors loose and open. She lowered her window. They all looked at her while she chewed bubblegum making a bubble and popping it. “Are you kids gonna get in or what?” They all quickly began to pile inside. 

A security guard that was still alive but heavily injured managed to walk out with gun in hand. One of the guys from the team threw the large duffle bag of money in the van. As he was about to head in the cop gave one lucky shot to the back of his head. The female team member screamed as blood splattered on each of them.

Quinzel was equally surprised but for only a second. She whipped out her gun pointing it towards the cop that too pointed at her, he fired, his gun only clicked. He was out of bullets and began to grow nervous. Quinn grinned. “You can’t get lucky twice.” BANG! The cop whimpered peeking from one eye to see it was fake with only a flag sticking out with the word BANG on it. 

Quinn laughed sinisterly. “Quinn come on let’s go!” The team urged hearing sirens grow closer and closer. The tires to the van screeched as Quinzel drove away from the scene like a madwoman.

The girl managed to scoot forward near Quinn. “What the hell?!” She began. “If you were here on time Jason could’ve lived!”

Quinzel only rolled her eyes. “Maybe if you guys did a better job in creating murder instead of injury! That would’ve never happened sweetheart.” She scoffed.

“Just let it go Jessica.” The large dark skinned male pressed a hand on her shoulder easing her slightly although she was still pissed.

“Well at least he knows who Quinzel is now.” Jessica took off her mask. “What happened to your damn mask?”

Quinzel popped her bubblegum. “Oh, I lost it in our previous heist.”

Jessica couldn’t believe it nodding her head furiously. She turned to the large male signaling him to pay attention to her moving lips without sound. ‘We have to get rid of her.’ While Quinn drove she occasionally looked into the rearview mirror noticing Jessica mutter something.

‘How? You know she’s crazy.’ He mouthed back.

‘Dallas, that’s why!’

Dallas nodded no. ‘Well count me out.’ Was the last thing he mouthed before turning to the window.

“I’m starving!” Quinzel spoke suddenly as she began passing through Chinatown.

Jessica twitched out of annoyance. “Quinn you idiot! We are supposed to be hiding out now!” Dallas tried to settle her but this time Jessica ignored him. “Take us to the safe house.” She ordered.

Quinn parked in front of a restaurant named Chickees Chicken Shop. “Relax would you Jess.” Quinn's lips curved into a devilish smile. “The cops are going to be looking all over Gotham far from the crime scene why? Simply because that’s just what thieves and criminals do--go as far away as possible. The smart thing is to stay close while they look far away. Now let’s eat!” Quinzel and the others walked out after pulling off their masks.

Jessica grumbled as Quinn opened one of the bloodied bags of money flapping the cash. “Don’t worry tonight's dinner is on Jason.” She laughed while Jessica only glared at her with such intensity. They all headed inside while Dallas stayed behind only shaking his head in disapproval.

“This could all go wrong from this point on.” Dallas' instinct kicked in feeling cautious.

As soon as they entered the chicken shop the scent of cooked chicken and the ambiance of Chinese music playing and people speaking in various languages filled the air. Quinzel inhaled. “This is nice.” She smiled.

They all sat on a large booth where a chicken menu was already on the middle of the table. Quinzel snatched it looking through. “All of this looks so good, nothing looks tastier than a murdered chicken.” Jessica twitched again to Quinn’s voice.

“I have to go to the bathroom.” Jessica stood up heading towards the restrooms.

Quinzel skimmed through the menu while the three males in her table tried to keep themselves occupied. “I want spicy chicken. Anyone want anything else?” She slid the menu to Dallas who opened it. The other two male team members glanced at it as well.

All the meanwhile Quinzel looked around and someone familiar caught her eye in the kitchen. “Oh zombie boy.” She whispered with a smirk playing on her lips. 'This almost feels like destiny. Then again we need a new team member.' Her pink bubblegum popped.

Jessica pushed the restroom door open locking it behind her and began to tear up. “Oh my god.” She whimpered lowering to the floor. “Jason I’m sorry.” She bawled banging her head hard against the door. “I should’ve never...got you in!” Immediately she threw a fit kicking the trash can and pulling on her blonde hair. “ing Quinn! She has to die tonight, it's her fault Jason's dead.” She sniffled regaining her composure splashing water on her face. “I’m going to kill her.”

Jessica hesitantly returned from the bathroom. “Jess we all picked what we want to eat? Do you want to choose something?” Dallas offered.

Jessica only nodded with a forced smile. “No. I’m fine. I’ll eat whatever you order.”

“Great!” Quinzel stood up heading towards the cashier to order.

Jessica began to whisper. “We have to get rid of her guys.” To Dallas’ surprise the other two male members agreed.

“But she is good at what she does.” Dallas argued. “She is the best getaway driver we’ve had in the past year.”

“She is getting too ing comfortable Dallas!” Jessica hissed. “Her carefree sadistic nature is risking us of getting caught. The thinks she’s invincible. And let’s just say tonight,” she pulled back the barrel of her loaded gun hidden in her boot, “I’m going to take the down six feet under.”

Taehyung was starting to finish his last batch of chicken since the boss told him that after that he had permission to leave 10 minutes early after witnessing him struggle on the essay in the break room. Taehyung eyed his wristwatch to see that it was 11:50.

Quinzel finished ordering but noticed that ‘Zombie Boy’ was too busy to distract so in order to be respectful she headed back to the booth. 

After finishing Taehyung gathered his things from the break room. “Good luck with that.” His boss called out heading into the break room for some water.

“Uh, thank you Mr. Chung. I’ll see you tomorrow night.”

Mr. Chung nodded. “I don’t think so. I’m giving you day off kid, you need lots and lots of rest.” He insisted.

Taehyung nodded. “Okay, but what about Backgammon night?”

Mr. Chung thought about it. “Okay maybe you come visit me for Backgammon.” Taehyung chuckled.

“Yes thank you see you tomorrow night!” Taehyung stepped out bowing and thanking his boss in Chinese.

“Hey,” Quinzel sat down next to Dallas, “what have yall be gossiping about since I’ve been gone.”

“Nothing,” Jessica answered, “only about our next heist.”

“Great! Where is it going to be?”

Jessica bit her lower lip trying to think of someplace. “The tiny jewelry store in Old Gotham.”

Quinzel chuckled. “Huh, I thought we were past the amateur level of theft.”

“We are going to take it down a notch since a party member died tonight.” Jessica snapped.

Quinzel only waved a hand. “Yeah-yeah alright.” Jessica twitched again leaning a hand down to her gun but quickly Dallas mouthed, ‘No.’ Quinn couldn’t help but laugh in a hoarse manner while focused on folding a napkin into the shape of a dead person. “No what, Dallas?” She turned to him.

He began to grow nervous. “Jessica--...”

She slammed the paper dead guy on the table. “Jessica...what?” Quinn turned to her with curious eyes despite the fact she was not a fool. “Is there something you would like to say, Jessica?” Quinzel smiled.

Jessica was on the verge of angry tears with her nostrils flaring and her pale nose turning red. “Tell you? No. Show you? Yes!” Immediately Jessica whipped out her gun. 

Suddenly a loud gunshot rang through the restaurant. Many of the people still eating there gasped turning to the booth. Dallas and the other boys stared in shock. Who got shot? Jessica’s tears flowed down her face before her head fell lifeless on the table. “This time it did have a bullet Jessica and it was meant for you.” Quinzel appeared satisfied. She pulled her gun out from under the table gaining gasps and screams from the people around.

“Holy !” Mr. Chung spat out the water he was drinking from the break room as soon as he came out and witnessed a dead girl on one of his tables.

Quinzel stood up and immediately everyone moved to take cover behind the register counter or hide in one of the corners. “Don’t worry munchkins, the wicked witch is dead.” She laughed. “Now, how long is that chicken going to take?”

A girl scared put the fresh chicken buckets on the counter. “T-they’re ready.” She quivered.

“Ooh! Great!” Quinzel headed towards the counter. She grabbed the chicken turning to the guys. “Aren’t y'all gonna help a lady?” The first one to stand was Dallas as he grabbed two buckets. “Thank you for your great service how much is it going to be?”

The girl worriedly turned to Mr. Chung. “F-free.” He managed to speak despite being as scared as she.

“Oh goody, what a lucky day. Let’s roll Dallas!” She giggled skipping towards the entrance with her men. But halted turning back to seek for Taehyung though she did not find him. “Hey,” she began as a few people got scared by just hearing her speak again, “where’d that boy with the glasses go? The one that was working in the kitchen.”

Mr. Chung began. “You mean Kim, Kim Taehyung?” Quinn slightly nodded. “He left just a few min-minutes...ago.”

“Oh, alright then.” She turned to the other two guys of the team. “Don’t be rude come on let’s get the body out of this nice chicken joint!” The guys immediately grabbed Jessica’s body while people made a few faces in disgust.

Quinzel was the last one out. “You folks enjoy the rest of your night!” The door closed with a jingle from the bell on top.

After the team successfully managed to get in the van they hear sirens closing in. “Damn Quinn we have to bust out of here!”

“You guys go on ahead, they don’t sound too close.”

“What are you crazy Quinn?” Dallas spat out. “They’ll catch you out here. Someone from the shop must of called them over.”

She only rolled her eyes. “You guys’ll do great without me for just one night. I have business to take care of and also I’ll help when police are on your tail.” She waved her gun.

Dallas put his seatbelt on and started engine. “You are really something Quinzel.”

She giggled. “Well I am an expert in troublemaking.” She winked before climbing on a store’s sign up to the rooftop while the van screeched away.

Quinzel noticed two police cars sooner than expected gaining up on them. “Aim.” She aimed on the street. “And...shoot.” She shot a bullet that hit a back tire of one of the cop cars causing it to hit against stationary cars and flip over while the other cop car rammed into it causing a small explosion. “And it ends with a bang!” Quinn cheered.

Taehyung made his way through the dark alley to a specific dumpster hearing the commotion around him but ignoring it because all the havoc that happens at night would only give him trouble if he went to go become a witness. He peeked behind and in front of him to make sure no one was spying on him, a homeless or a thief. When he was absolutely sure he was in the clear he began to take out his bike from behind the dumpster preparing to ride on it. “I’m just going to get home, prepare my midnight snack, and do my end of semester essay.” He murmured his agenda until suddenly remembering something. “Oh no!” He smacked his face. “I forgot to do my laundry today! Man...If I don’t do it I won’t even have proper clothes by tomorrow.” He crouched burying his head between his legs. ‘Forget about it and wreak some havoc yourself now that the whole city is at it.’ His inner conscious pestered but again Taehyung chose to ignore it. “Don’t mope just do it. Everything will be fine.” His voice reassured himself.

Taehyung stood up fixing his composure. A gun cocked at the side of his head. “Give me the bike dip.” A male voice behind him sounded very dry as if he hasn’t had a drink of water all week. Taehyung couldn’t help but turn paler than his natural milky skin.

“O-okay.” Taehyung quivered creating distance between him and his bike.

“At it boy.” The guy got on top of it still pointing the gun directly at Taehyung. Just to be sure Taehyung wasn’t going to tackle him down the thief smacked the gun roughly against his face causing him to bleed from his forehead and lip, his body stumbled back having his head suffer another blow when it hit the dumpster.

The guy cycled away into the street while Taehyung tried to regain his blurry vision witnessing how as soon as the thief rode furiously into the road he instantly got runned over by a van going full speed, clearly another heist has happened near the area. Without stopping the van trampled over the body with tires screeching as they made a sharp turn speeding off. Taehyung blinked still a bit dazed. “Holy Rosemary Mother’s Jams!” He passed out.

In his inner subconscious he could have sworn he heard a feminine voice speak. “That’s Gotham for ya!”