Turn Back the Clock 3

Hit Me Up

368 Days until Kyuhyun’s Disappearance

 

Kyuhyun rolled his neck tiredly, closing his eyes behind the dark sunglasses. The mission had been longer than expected and more of a hassle than expected. He tugged his phone out as the wheels of the plane hit the runway, immediately wanting to check for messages. Maybe it was silly, but he felt guilty for being two days late in coming home. Ryeowook had sounded understanding during their brief phone calls, but it was impossible to tell if those were his true feelings.

Ryeowook was always giving Kyuhyun slack. It didn’t matter if it was as small as cooking for him every night, or giving into his whining. I really married a man who loves to spoil others. He grimaced. I wonder if he spoils his friends as much as me? Kyuhyun mulled over that thought as he waited for his phone to turn back on.

 

 “Thank you for flying with XX Airlines. We have arrived at our final destination. Please remain seated. You are free to use electronic devices now.”

 

A smile subconsciously crossed his face as his lock screen appeared. It was a selfie from that summer. Ryeowook had insisted and Kyuhyun had griped about it. In the end, Ryeowook one out. They were sitting in the grass, Ryeowook’s arms around Kyuhyun’s shoulders from behind, head resting atop his.

He chuckled, brushing his thumb lightly over the digital image.

No new notifications.

His smile dropped. Oh god. What if Ryeowook was upset? Wouldn’t he have sent a message by now?

The plane pulled into the gate after several minutes. Kyuhyun told himself to stop checking his phone for messages and missed calls, knowing that it would only make him more worried. He almost wanted to laugh at himself as he retrieved the small duffel bag from the overhead compartment. This was ridiculous. Ryeowook being upset with him shouldn’t have been that...well, upsetting.

But it was.

He sighed under his breath, wondering what he should do to make it up to him. Perhaps he would’ve liked a souvenir from Germany? Kyuhyun shuffled through his memories and cursed himself for not stopping by a sweets shop before leaving. He could’ve easily bought some chocolate pastries. Ryeowook loved baked goods.

God, why didn’t he take the extra few minutes? Oh. Right. Eunhyuk was with him. Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. If he hadn’t been with me, I wouldn’t have felt so awkward about buying Ryeowook something. And he very soundly ignored the voice in his head saying that that was a weak excuse.

Slinging the luggage over his shoulder, Kyuhyun strolled off the plane, nodding politely at the attendants who greeted him on his way out. He walked through the gate, eyeing luxury brand shops on his way to Ground Transportation. Would Ryeowook like something gold? Silver? Maybe a new watch?

Kyuhyun shook his head. No. He wouldn’t be able to explain how he afforded that. Of course, Ryeowook knew he had a good job, but it was technically a “technician job” of some sort and those didn’t pay nearly well enough to legitimize casually purchasing a high-end brand.

Without buying anything, he strolled down the escalator, leaning against the railing as he descended to ground level. He removed his sunglasses and shrugged his shoulder bag higher up. Maybe I can pick up some flowers on the way home...

He stepped off the escalator, lost in thought as he trudged toward the taxi line. In fact, he was so lost in his thoughts that he walked right past an excited Ryeowook.

It took another several seconds to process what had happened and then Kyuhyun was spinning back around, eyes wide as he met his husband’s glare. “What?” the agent blurted, backpedaling to pull Ryeowook into a tight, but brief hug. He held him at arm’s length after a moment, smiling in confusion. “Why are you here?”

“Glad to have been noticed,” Ryeowook muttered, nonetheless keeping his hands on Kyuhyun’s waist as he stared up at him. Smiling, exasperated, he said, “you rescheduled your flight home twice. I couldn’t just let you come back without a welcome party.” He brushed away the stray locks falling across Kyuhyun’s forehead. “You must have had a hard time on your trip.”

I’m not gonna cry. That’s pathetic, Kyuhyun. Who cries over an airport pick-up. You’re an international spy. Not a lovesick puppy.

He bit his lip, swallowing the urge to tear up. Shaking his head, he crushed Ryeowook against him, hiding his feelings in the hug. “I’m happy,” Kyuhyun whispered, for once acknowledging the mental and emotional aches from finishing a mission. He sagged with relief, feeling utterly drained and safe and secure.

So long as he’s the one holding me…I am okay.

“You’re a sap,” Ryeowook teased softly, Kyuhyun’s hair gently. Closing his eyes, he held the taller man closer, rubbing his back. “I bought ingredients for your favorite dishes. Do you want to eat at home, or do you want me to treat you somewhere?”

Kyuhyun burrowed his face against Ryeowook’s shoulder. “I want your food, Ryeonggu,” he mumbled, almost childishly.

“You’re so spoiled,” his husband laughed, pulling back slightly to grin at Kyuhyun’s pouting face. He kept his arm around his waist as he nudged him toward the exit. “C’mon, let’s get home.”

“I’m only like this with you,” Kyuhyun clicked his tongue, “everyone at work thinks I’m very cool.” His arm was slung over Ryeowook’s shoulder, keeping them hip to hip as they walked.

The shorter man rolled his eyes. “Kyukyu, you work from home most days. What coworkers are you talking about?”

“Well,” he argued, “when I see them, they think I’m cool.”

Ryeowook chuckled. “I’m sure they do.”

Kyuhyun smiled, brushing the lightest kiss across his husband’s hair. “Thank you for coming to get me.”

“Don’t thank me,” he shook his head. “I love you. I’ll always come get you, no matter where you are.”

I can’t win with him. Kyuhyun sighed under his breath, a fond expression crossing his face. “Me too. Wherever you are, I’ll find you.”