Turn Back the Clock 2

Hit Me Up

2 Days until Kyuhyun’s Disappearance

 

Kyuhyun strolled into the elevator, shutting the doors before anyone else could join him. Sliding a key card out of his wallet, he inserted it and a panel popped open to reveal a number pad. He punched in the six-digit code and felt the lift begin to descend rapidly.

Taking his key card back, he watched the panel shut and the numbers fall far past the lowest basement level.

He didn’t often make in person appearances at the agency, so it was almost nerve-wracking to wonder what awaited him. Although he had been given a few small missions here and there during his long term assignment, those were conveyed via secure messenger. It never required him to come in.

The doors slid open.

Kyuhyun took a deep breath before stepping out and seeing a regular receptionist desk. Nodding politely at the person, he walked past and headed straight for the director’s office. Few of his coworkers were at their desks, and if they were present, it was obvious they had mountains of paperwork to focus on. He wasn’t surprised by the lack of welcome.

After all, they were all spies—as surreal as that could sound to Kyuhyun sometimes. He didn’t really know how this life had started, but he knew espionage was for him. It was fun and exhilarating and dreamy.

He loved the work. However, as he knocked on the director’s door, entered, and was figuratively slapped in the face with a file—he came to hate the job for the first time.

Staring blankly at the unassuming sheet of paper tucked into the folder, Kyuhyun tried to process what was given to him. “I...don’t understand. We still haven’t gathered enough data—”

The director tilted his head curiously. “Haven’t we?”

Director Choi, to be honest, I think there’s still more we could learn about this organization. Our current data on them is...suitable, but in the long run we’ll need more information.

At that time, we’ll send another agent to update our surveillance data. There’s no need to lock down one of our top agents any longer. Three years is more than enough and the foundation you’ve set for our database on that organization is solid.” He grimaced faintly. “I also worry about your relationship with your cover.”

His name is Ryeowook. Kyuhyun bit back the emotions, silently clasping his hands behind his back as he listened to the director.

It’s not healthy for either of you to continue with this cover. Kim Ryeowook is a civilian and I feel that three years of using him as a convenient tool is far too cruel. I shouldn’t have allowed this assignment to extend for so long. I apologize to both of you. I’m sure it was difficult to lie on a daily basis to a private citizen who you were required to carry an intimate relationship with.”

Kyuhyun held back, despite the blood rushing through ears growing deafening. He didn’t know how to react. Three years had passed since he started this surveillance mission and in three years he had fallen painfully and irrevocably in love with Ryeowook.

Hearing his boss talk about that man with such cold, calculated language made everything shift perspective. Was that really how he had built a relationship with Ryeowook?

No. That’s not true. I never lied about my feelings.

He released a low sigh, looking up at Director Choi. “Excuse me. I understand. I also apologize for the emotional reaction. I think I’m too deep into my cover.”

I’m glad you see reason.” He nodded at the paperwork in Kyuhyun’s hands. “That’s your mission termination notice. You have two days to gather your things. Eunhyuk will come to pick you up at 9:30am. You two will immediately depart on a new assignment then. There are urgent security concerns in another country and we’ve been commissioned. You will receive a briefing after departure. Questions?”

He shook his head stiffly. “No, sir.”

Dismissed.”

Kyuhyun turned to leave, but then the director’s voice stopped him again.

One more thing,” he called, waiting until the agent turned around to look at him. “Be sure to take the proper measures when leaving your cover. The assignment was long. I don’t want any loose ends.”

Understood.”

***

Ryeowook rolled his stiff shoulders as he unlocked the front door and stepped into his apartment. Immediately the warm, slightly spicy, scent of beef stew curled around him. Sighing audibly, he kicked off his shoes and peeked into the kitchen. “You’re cooking dinner?” he nearly exclaimed, smiling widely at Kyuhyun.

The latter wore an apron, sleeves rolled up and expression one of ultimate concentration. He only spared a single glance at Ryeowook before going back to carefully stirring the pot. “You make it sound like I’m an invalid,” he snorted, none of the snark lost despite his attention being elsewhere. “Of course even I can cook sometimes.”

But what’s the occasion?” Ryeowook came up next to him, taking a deep breath right over the pot. “Wow, it really smells great. Is this my recipe? Or did you use a different one?” He hugged Kyuhyun from behind, tucking his chin over the taller man’s shoulder.

He avoided the first question. “Your recipe, of course,” he murmured. “Why would I make something else when this is my favorite?” He closed his free hand around Ryeowook’s, intertwining their fingers where they rested against his stomach.

Ryeowook smiled into Kyuhyun’s neck, kissing the skin softly. “What happened?”

A slight shiver raced down the taller man’s spine, feeling warm all over from just Ryeowook’s touch. It was almost pathetic how much he loved him. Did other people feel this strongly with their partners? Did they get legitimate chills from a single, chaste kiss? Kyuhyun didn’t know. He didn’t care. He had never felt so much love in his entire life.

So why did it have to end?

Had he really become too comfortable in these three years? Was this what he signed up for all those years ago when he agreed to joining SME? His life, his identity, his emotions...all of them were owned by this job. Even now, he had no say in who he was allowed to love.

Turning slightly in the embrace, he leaned down to kiss his husband. “I had a stressful day at work. All I wanted was to see your face,” Kyuhyun admitted softly, expression so soft and sad that Ryeowook didn’t have the heart to .

Nodding fervently, he hugged Kyuhyun tighter, nuzzling against his chest. “Oh, it’s okay, I’m right here. I’ll always be here,” he assured, flashing a bright grin that only grew brighter as Kyuhyun laughed and ran elegant fingers through his hair.

Yeah...I know,” he tucked Ryeowook’s head under his chin and held him close as he continued cooking.

Ryeowook quietly stayed put, rubbing small, soothing circles into Kyuhyun’s back. He pressed absent kisses against his chest, hoping the touch just might reach through the layers of clothes. “Do you wanna watch a movie tonight? We still have ice cream in the freezer too.”

Kyuhyun closed his eyes for a calming second, lips trembling. He grit his teeth hard enough to feel the enamel grinding. Fighting the urge to scream and cry and snap the stirring spoon in half, he slowly released a breath, chest shuddering. “Yeah.” He didn’t trust his voice any further.

If he had been told so many years ago that someone out there existed who would love him on his worst days and his best days—he would never have signed up with the agency.

If someone had said “Your future is with Kim Ryeowook, a gift from God,” then he would’ve scoured the earth until they met.

If he had known love like this could happen, why would he ever trade anything else for it?

Life was love wherever Ryeowook existed.

Kyuhyun?

He blinked, snapping out of his thoughts. Looking down, he felt Ryeowook watching him with worried eyes. “What’s up?” Kyuhyun asked hoarsely, quickly clearing his throat in embarrassment.

Nothing,” Ryeowook shook his head slowly, eyes concerned as he reached up and swept away the tears trailing down Kyuhyun’s cheeks. “Everything is fine.”

It’s not. It really isn’t.