Wannabe (JenLisa)

Blackpink Oneshots
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

JENNIE’S POV

 

“Girls, tomorrow is the big day. It's what you've shed blood, sweat and tears working towards in the past month. I know all of you have it in you, just go out there calm and focused, strut your stuff, and you'll be just fine.” Our dance instructor's voice wasn't naturally loud, and she often had trouble commanding complete attention. Today, however, her words resonated impactfully throughout the practice room we had probably spent more time in than we had in our dorms over the past month.

 

It wasn't often the atmosphere among us trainees was so heavy, so tense and so serious, but then again it wasn't everyday we faced a dancing evaluation personally overseen by Mr Yang himself.

 

“Oh, before I forget, I heard that there's gonna be a new trainee being evaluated together with you girls tomorrow.”

 

“Already?” Us trainees exchanged incredulous glances. Attempting to be evaluated without the intense, painstaking training we had slogged through was as good as raising the white flag, surely. This wannabe’s career could be over before it started.

 

“I heard Mr Yang was shown some video clips of her dance moves, and he was mightily impressed.” The dance instructor shrugged her shoulders. “I doubt she'll have the aptitude to outmatch you girls, though, she's taking a giant leap of faith.”




 

Her faith certainly didn't go misplaced...I mused, scarcely believing what I was watching. Only minutes ago, this scrawny, ordinary-looking girl had made her entrance shyly, with several trainees already snickering at her gross overestimation of her capabilities. Now, as she nailed a series of body waves, executed numerous B-Boy dance moves effortlessly and performed some routines that in my book, were more like acrobatics than dancing, everyone had been shut up and were simply watching in awe. I glanced at Mr Yang, who looked immensely satisfied, arguably the greatest affirmation that this girl was something special. As she concluded her performance with a sequence of cartwheels, I was the first to break into rapturous applause, with the other trainees begrudgingly following suit.

 

“What's your name?” Mr Yang enquired with a large grin on his face. It wasn't everyday you saw Mr Yang smiling, mind you.

 

“Call me Lisa.” Gone was the nervous, reserved girl, she now carried herself with the air of someone who knew she most certainly belonged.


 

LISA’S POV

 

The cafeteria was a hive of activity, the incessant chatter amongst countless groups of trainees, instructors, songwriters, accumulating into a practically deafening crescendo of white noise. If there was one thing I really didn't like about YG Ent., it was the common meal times of the employees, which made it almost impossible to derive a sense of peace and quiet.

 

Following my natural instincts, I headed for the extreme corner of the cafeteria where people generally found it too much of a hassle to go to, in search of respite from the hustle and bustle. Settling down at the secluded area I had been frequenting over the few days I had been here, I whipped out my lunchbox hungrily, having been absolutely starving. Just when I thought I had managed to evade the flurry of activity, in my peripheral vision, I spotted a group of girls moving in my direction.

 

As I bit into my sandwich, I looked up and recognised them as my trainee seniors. Oh no... I wasn't sure what their issues with me were, but this group of girls had had it out for me right from the start, and they seemed determined to introduce as much misery into my life as possible.

 

“Oh dear, the poor Thai beggar can't afford proper food? Go back to farming, won't you?”

 

“You can polish my boots if you really need some money, you know.”

 

“Are you implying that she's even fit to touch your shoes?”

 

“Oh right, they're probably worth more than she is…”

 

I focused all my attention onto the movement of an ant on the table, attempting to tune out their condescending sneers.

 

As they strode by haughtily, one of the girls suddenly rapped on the table gently. I glanced upwards hesitantly, half-expecting her to be giving me the finger. To my surprise, she looked apologetic and was mouthing something repeatedly.

 

Sorry...I realised the instant she turned away. My gaze lingered on her back until the instant she turned the corner. It was amazing how such a simple gesture had lifted my mood so massively. I wasn't sure who she was, but I sure as heck was going to find out.



 

Report to Practice

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter