Chapter 8

When The Dawn Wind Rises

 

Gangneung Military Base, Camp Hansoon, Intelligence Division

 

Sgt. Kwan Seok met him in the barracks, clapping his shoulders in welcome. Behind him, several new recruits were carrying boxes containing all the intelligence files accumulated related to Yangkusan. Jung Hwa had returned from Yangkusan to Gyeryoung after meeting General Yang; his new security access fully in place and his mission had been stamped and approved. He received further briefings and everything has been green lighted coming directly from the Defense Minister via the General. All the files he needed are in boxes and now the real task of sifting through all the gathered information begins.

"How was Yangkusan? I need to hear more about this news you just dropped on me," Kwan Seok said as they entered his office. Jung Hwa directed the recruits to pile the boxes over at the corner. He waited until they saluted and left his office before plopping himself down on the chair. He breathed a sigh from fatigue. He had been on the go nonstop since leaving Yangkusan, gathering everything he needed for this new operation tasked to him.

"You owe me wedding money," Jung Hwa quipped, taking a swig of water. 

“The hell happened?! All this time you’ve been holding out on me. Who’s the poor misguided girl?”

”Long story short, it was back in my Alpha days. That mission that waylaid me. You remember I was stuck in the island and holed up with a family there? I didn't go over details with you, how they hid me from the guerilla army. The leader there was eyeing the girl and it was as much for her protection as mine. The marriage certificate stayed valid." He shrugged.

"You don't look like you minded that much. She's all that, eh?"

Jung Hwa just smiled at him. Kwan Seok squinted at his commander and his friend knowingly. "You like her. I know you. What happened to the 'love 'em and leave 'em' guy I used to know?"

"You're talking about yourself and you know it!" He paused. "She's....she's very nice." 

"Ah hah! So, when do I meet the girl? Isn't she joining you here?

"Eventually, I hope. Her dad is doing very poorly."

"Well, you better work on those papers for joint accomodations. Your quarters aren't appropriate. Unless you want the other officers milling about constantly around your wife."

"Done and filed, my friend. First thing I did." Jung Hwa held up and waved a piece of paper. They both shared a laugh at this this.

"Get going; I gotta get started on this," Jung Hwa said jerking his head towards the pile of boxes. "Get yourself the security clearance for this. I put in the paperwork with General Yang. Its your eyes and mine only."

.

.

.

Chuwua province, Yangkusan

 

Mi Yeung helped her Appa lie down more comfortably. His head is propped up with a rolled up blanket and pillows. His breathing has gotten raspier and she knew she will need to ask Doctor Yu to come by to take a look at him. His heart medicine which is supposed to keep the fluid in his lungs manageable is likely becoming ineffective. She checked his feet, noting with some dismay the pitting edema when she pressed on them lightly. She grabbed some pillows to help prop them up too. 

Mr. Lee is awake and his eyes have been following her every move. She noticed how his color has gotten more ashy lately. I need him to be out in the sun more but it's gotten too chilly, she thought. This reminded her to add more wood to the wood burning stove in the corner, as the room gets more chilly as the night went on. Pretty soon, winter will be upon them and she needed to prepare their little home. She reminded herself to ask for their ration of wood in the common house. Mrs. Pung allots the rations throughout the settlement. She has been noticing a certain aloofness on Mrs. Pung's part, likely due to the fact of her marriage to Jung Hwa coming to light. She was all for Mi Yeung settling down with her son Dae Du, and had pushed for that union relentlessly. Just yesterday, she had barely exchanged a few words with Mi Yeung. Dae Du had been more civil. But it didn't change the fact that he still smarted from the rejection. Mi Yeung was quick to remind him that she had never given him any expectations, misguided or otherwise. 

"Appa, I will ask Dr. Yu to come see you, okay?" Mi Yeung said, arranging the blankets over him more securely to further ward the chill from seeping in.

"I'm fine. You should have gone with Jung Hwa." 

"Appa," she chided him, giving his temple a light kiss, "you've been trying to get rid of me so much lately, hmm?"

"I'll be fine. I told you I can stay in the hospital."

"Why not leave with me then? Jung Hwa said their military hospital can take very good care of you."

"I don't want to leave Chuwua. I want to stay here where your mother is buried."

"Appa, once you're better, you can come back--"

Mr. Lee was shaking his head weakly but adamantly. "I won't come back. I know this; you know this, Mi Yeung," he whispered, his hand reaching for hers. "I'm nearing my rope. I don't want you by yourself here."

Mi Yeung replied with false bravado, not letting this thought take root in her mind or heart. "I'm stubborn, remember, Appa? I won't let you quit. I have enough fight for both of us, you'll see. Come, sleep now and rest. Shall I read to you a little bit?"

Mr. Lee closed his eyes and nodded. 

Mi Yeung got up and grab one of her favorite books and slowly started where she had left a bookmark.

 "Our lives are but a hiccup in this great universe. We live and we die, and we live some more if we're lucky in another lifetime. Our hearts are reborn but I don't believe the slate is truly wiped clean. They retain a seed of memory of the past. That is why your heart searches for that one that seems familiar; the one that it resonates with even across time and universes. In a way that is how the idea of fate and destiny come about. You feel the same pull with that same person regardless of when or where. And it is a stubborn one at that. Your mind will tell you what you should or should not do, but it cannot compete. It could never compete without a sense of loss from the other. For the heart will seek what the heart wants; time and distance mean nothing when the heart finds its home..."

[Uncharted Territories of My Heart -Myzyanya]

Her voice is mellifluously soothing, as it read passages from a book worn from constant reading. She never paid much attention to the words before, but now to her, the meaning has resonated deeply within. And her thoughts jumped inevitably to Jung Hwa. She still has yet much to learn about love, about being with a man, and her heart drummed at the thought of him perhaps feeling the same way. We hardly know each other; but could this be it?  And she realizes with a start there hasn't been anyone close enough that had touched her heart the way he has.

She glanced at her father, now asleep, mouth open sonorously breathing. As much as she denies how tenuous his grasp on this life is, her practical sense could not help but realize he is at death's door. And her heart pinches again as it grapples with this truth.

.

.

Dr. Yu came by to the house the day after. Mi Yeung waited by the wooden steps as the doctor went inside to examine Mr. Lee. She stood outside waiting, wringing her hands, hoping for a better prognosis than what her heart and mind are telling her. Dr. Yu came out after what seemed like forever. He was wiping his hands after using those gel based cleansers. He looked at Mi Yeung over his glasses, trying to gauge her reaction.

"Dr. Yu...please."

The good doctor sighed, pushed his glasses further up the bridge of his nose and looked out onto the field. 

"He refused further medications, Mi Yeung. I explained everything to him and his mind is sound. He doesn't want any further heroics."

Mi Yeung's face crumpled, tears falling down her cheeks as she realized what Dr. Yu is saying.

"Continue with what he's taking; it will help. I told him I would at least give him some morphine to ease the labor of his breathing. He agreed to that."

He continues, handing Mi Yeung the prescription, "it's a narcotic; it will make him sleepy most of the time. But he will be comfortable. That is the best we could hope for given his condition right now."

Mi Yeung took the script and asked haltingly, "how much time do I have left with him, Dr. Yu?"

"I cannot tell you that for certain," he said gently, "but it won't be long, if his lungs continue this way."

He bid her goodbye, telling her to call him anytime. With a gentle bow to her, he walked away with sad tinged steps.

Mi Yeung sat on the steps and let herself cry until she could finally compose herself to see her father. She splashed some water onto her face, took a deep calming breath and climbed the steps to the house. 

.

.

.

Back in base camp, Jung Hwa is neck deep in reports. His table is strewn with all sorts of papers, print out communications, folders. On the floor, a plate full of crumbs from sandwiches sat next to an empty coffee cup. His eyes bear the look of concentration that comes when he is immersed on something. His phone had been ringing. He had decided to ignore it but happen to glance and see Mi Yeung's name on the caller ID. He grabbed it immediately before it went off.

"Mi Yeung, I'm here."

"I'm sorry to bother you. It's not too late, is it?" her voice sounded far away.

"No not at all. Are you ok?" He glanced at the clock and was surprised to see how late it is. 

"I just needed someone to talk to for a bit."

"I'm right here. Have you had your dinner? It's Wednesday; did you cook at the common house tonight?" He sat down, glad to take a break from his reports.

"Not tonight. Yeon Seo was nice enough to take over so I could be with Appa." Her voice caught at the last bit.

Jung Hwa was quick to notice. "Mi Yeung-ie, what's wrong. Is he okay?"

Mi Yeung told him what occurred with Dr. Yu's visit. Her voice quivering as she tried to hold her emotions in check. But Jung Hwa heard the tears in her voice.

"Mi Yeung-ie...what can I do to help? Would it be better to bring him in the hospital there? I can make phone calls to get him brought over. At least you wouldn't be alone taking care of him." 

She heard the concern in his voice and it only made her cry. "It's ok, thank you. I've started giving him the new medicine and he's sleeping. He had asked me if it's ok that he stays home to d-die...I'm sorry Jung Hwa. I didn't meant to.." and her tears swallowed her words.

Jung Hwa made soothing sounds on the phone to comfort her, feeling helpless being so far away. 

"I will come if you need me now, Mi Yeung-ie."

"No, it's fine. I just-- I just needed to hear your voice, I guess," she hiccupped. "I'll be okay."

"I miss you too...I can call the hospital to see if they can send someone to help you with Mr. Lee."

"It's ok, thank you. If he doesn't have that much time left, I'd rather spend as much as I can with him." 

"If it gets too much, let me know, ok? You don't have to do everything, Mi Yeung-ie."

"I understand. Thank you, Jung Hwa...I'm..I'm glad to hear your voice. I miss you too."

"Get some sleep and rest now. I'll call and check on you tomorrow."

"I will. Please take care of yourself too."

Jung Hwa let out a deep breath he didn't realize he was holding. He sat looking at his phone pensively. His thoughts far away, travelling miles back to the small island where she is, thinking of her alone and hurting. Wishing he were there right now, holding her. And her soft voice echoed in his mind, I miss you too...

.

.