Chapter 14

When The Dawn Wind Rises

 

Jung Hwa ran his hands through his hair in frustration. His eyes focused on papers strewn all over his desk. Several were marked and highlighted, showing the progression of his research and anaysis. Certain things have not been adding up, causing him to frown in aggravation. Kwan Seok was just as immersed in his pile of paperwork on the other desk, his brows furrowed, fingers twirling his pen round and round. He finally looked up when he heard his commander grunting irritably.

"I don't think we're going to find it among this pile of sh*t," he said, tossing his pen down the table in annoyance. "We're missing key things."

"Agreed," Jung Hwa said in a disgruntled voice. "I'm really trying to avoid this; it doesn't look like I have much of a choice," he sighed, throwing himself back in his chair. He rubbed his tired eyes.

"I would go in your place, but I don't have the clearance for this, man."

"I know... Sh*t..! It won't take me long, but she's not gonna be happy."

"Don't worry, I'll keep an eye out. She's teaching, isn't she, so she's at least not sitting still at home. I can visit her everyday if need be. Do I get the go ahead for some home cooked meals even without you there?" he teased Jung Hwa.

"Man, you better behave yourself. I ain't kidding. Save your so called charm for your 'sweet young office girl' why don't you?" was Jung Hwa's quick reply.

Kwan Seok has been merciless in his teasing. There was one time that Jung Hwa ran late for their meeting after getting caught in traffic returning from home. It was before Mi Yeng started working and he had gone home for lunch. Jung Hwa did not hear the end of it all day from Kwan Seok with his knowing smiles and innuendos. It didn't help Jung Hwa turned beet red, implying something had happened. Jung Hwa had no intention of broadcasting the state of his relationship even with Kwan Seok, regardless of their close friendship, much less to anybody else. Last thing he needed was some hot to trot officer sniffing around Mi Yeung even though they are legitimately married.

Kwan Seok enjoyed teasing his friend, especially when it comes to Mi Yeung, knowing she has fast become a hot button whenever he needed to get a rise out of Jung Hwa, who is normally quite unperturbed and well-controlled. He's already gone to have dinners with them several nights, and he even brought along Ye Ri, the young lady from the housing office the last time. But he hasn't stopped ragging Jung Hwa whenever he can, as payback for all the other times in the past he made Kwan Seok's active social life his source of entertainment.

Kwan Seok shook his head, seeing Jung Hwa's brows still knitted in worry. He decided to give his friend a break, knowing Jung Hwa wasn't really worried about him, rather more at the thought of him needing to be away.

.

That evening, they had completed their dinner and were washing dishes side by side. It had become a routine between them, a way to spend more time with each other by doing chores together. Jung Hwa would dry the plates while Mi Yeung would do the washing and rinsing. The chore doesn't take much time with both of them doing it, but Jung Hwa tend to distract her quite a bit with plenty of teasing just to get some stolen kisses.

Tonight was no different. But after he gave her a tickly kiss on her ear, he told her he might have to leave for Gyeryong early in the morning.

She turned, surprise marring her beautiful face. "Tomorrow? Why? I mean, I get that you have to since it's your job. But so soon?"

"I have to follow up on a lead and time is an issue. Don't worry, I don't foresee staying more than a few days."

"That long?" Her face fell.

"Are you going to miss me that much, hmm?" he teased. Her face still retained its somber cast.

He went to place his arms around her, "I know it's sudden, but I needed to get there before whatever information gets 'lost'.... I won't be gone long. If I get what I need quickly, I'll be home the very next day," he murmured in her ear.

Mi Yeung didn't say anything and just nodded.

.

She was up the minute he woke to get ready. He needed to be in the hanger in a couple of hours; it will save him hours of drive by hitching a ride with a pilot headed the same way.

"It's still very early, Mi Young-ie. Go back to sleep."

"It's ok. I'll get you some coffee before you go."

He took a small duffle with him and it didn't take long before he was done. Glancing at her, he knew she's feeling upset; he's already able to read her feelings very easily. He walked over to where she stood and held her hands.

"I'll be back soon."

She nodded. "I don't mean to be sulky. I know you have to do this."

He brought her hands to his lips and kissed her palms, her wrists.

"Finish what you need to do and come back, okay?" She looked at him pleadingly.

"I won't stay any longer than necessary."

"I've lost so many people I love in the war..." her voice trembled.

"Mi Yeung.." Her hands reached out to place slim fingertips against his lips, stopping him from saying anything further.

"Growing up I wasn't like other girls dreaming of fairytales. I've always been a practical sort, but never did I think I will be in these circumstances. But since I've found myself in this life, I realized perhaps I'm still truly naive and impractical in thinking that everything will still fall in place even without me doing anything, that things will still work out for the best. But I'm..I'm not a child anymore. And if there's one thing the war taught me, life is precious and we get no second chances for lost opportunities..." She paused, her voice tremulous from the emotion she's keeping in check. "I needed you to know you are not just an escape from the life I knew..."

She bit her lips and raised eyes, wide and luminous in their vulnerability. "I don't want to be a debt you just needed to pay."

Hearing her words, his sighs came from deep within his soul. He cupped her cheeks, hands cradling her neck to hold her in place. He needed her to read the truth in his eyes. "You're no debt to me; you never were." His fingers gently caressed her cheeks. "You are my promise. A promise my heart is willing to make many times over."

Her tears fell at his words. "Just please come back to me."

"I will always come back to you, Mi Yeung." He leaned to rest his forehead on hers and gently wiped the tears that coursed down her cheeks. "My heart is yours."

Mi Yeung reached for him, bringing him down for a kiss. Dropping all her uncertainties and reservations, she kissed him, letting him know how she felt through her actions. She clung to him unwilling to let go, until the need for air brought them apart. Her cheeks were flushed and their breaths were still mingling after their impassioned embrace.

"I am yours too," she whispered. And he bent to capture her lips once more, his heart full to overflowing with the thought their hearts and minds are finally in sync, and their future now much brighter with each other in it. 

"Now I really wish I didn't have to leave," he whispered huskily in her ear, after dropping a trail of kisses on her jaw.

She didn't say anything, just tracing his lips gently with her fingertips, until his breathing began to sound harsh and he had to force himself to let her go.

And with one last parting kiss, one last fervid look, he bade her goodbye.

.

.

She had gotten used to having him around. Barely a month being together and the first night without him, she could not keep thoughts of him at bay. She tossed and turned and fell wondering if he could be thinking of her too. She was glad to have her teaching job to keep her occupied, even though all she did was glance at the clock all day, waiting to hear from him, for news that he's coming home. He told her he might not get a chance to call, just so she wouldn't worry if he didn't. Still, she kept checking her phone, wishing to hear his voice. When did I become such a lovesick puppy? And she thought of his words spoken before he left --My heart is yours and the kiss after ---made her heart beat like the pounding hooves of a herd of horses. She willed herself to sleep, as she lay burying her face in his pillow, wearing his shirt to keep his scent close.

.

The school is located in the center of their bustling little town of Pol Yang which boasts its own little post office, market and small shops. It is a typical red brick school house, with classrooms for the lower grade kids from 1-6th grades. And each class would have anywhere from 6-10 kids in them. Mi Yeung had a class of 8 young kids between ages of 3 and 4s, with an ahjumma acting as a teacher's aide to help her. Her days are busy teaching the little ones their letters and numbers, and doing arts and crafts. They were just breaking for lunch when Kwan Seok dropped by to check on her.

"Sgt. Kwan Seok-shi do you have any news?" were her first immediate response, then added in embarrassment, "forgive my lack of manners, how are you? I'm just heading off to have lunch."

"I'm fine. How are you doing? I've promised Jung Hwa I would check on you. Here, I'll walk with you."

"Have you heard from him?" she asked worriedly.

"Just a quick call; his line was unsecure, and he couldn't talk much. That's what I wanted to tell you why he couldn't call. He didn't want to compromise your phone."

"Is he all right? Can you tell me anything else?"

"He's fine. He had to go undercover. That's all I can say. He is trying to wrap up loose ends before he can come back."

"I didn't know...I thought he just needed to retrieve infromation... Is he in any danger?" she had stopped in her tracks to face him.

"Well, every mission carries a risk... wait! Mi Yeung-shi, I don't mean it like that. He'll kill me if he thinks I've made you worry." She had visibly paled upon hearing his words. "All I meant is, there's always some risk... aisshh, I mean.. " Kwan Seok was stammering trying to say the correct thing.

Finally he said, "Mi Yeung-shi, he's ok. He's a very capable and resourceful soldier. He's good at what he does. Please don't worry."

"If-if you hear from him again, please let me know. Please, Sgt. Kwan Seok-shi?"

He nodded and left. She stood and watched him walk back to his jeep, but her eyes were not seeing him, and her thoughts were racing after another man several miles away.

.

.

Jung Hwa had been chasing every lead imaginable. After being debriefed by Gen. Yang, he received sanctions to fly to Yeoncheon to meet a designated contact. His covert meeting gave him some interesting information; he in turn dropped a few incentives to lure potential suspects out of hiding. Now it's just a matter of course to see if those seeds would bear fruit. The principal players involved in Yangkusan operation have scattered and cetain documentations were missing, more so after being made 'black-ops.' His elevated clearance only served to confirm there were questionable machinations at play causing the war to escalate the way it did. Back in his hotel, Jung Hwa sent off a brief coded report to General Yang in Gyueryong. The message if intercepted is innocuous enough for it has been deeply coded. He went to grab a quick shower while waiting to hear back from the general. He wanted so badly to call, even to text Mi Yeung, but his undercover status belays this action. He could not afford to run the risk of her being associated while he is in this covert mission. He was towelling his hair when he saw the notification of an incoming message. Gen. Yang had given further instructions. At least I wouldn't need to cross the demilitarized zone, he thought, which carries a much higher risk for military personnel particularly of his office. He sat down and went over his plans for next course of action.

.

.

Mi Yeung sat in front of her laptop all evening, searching for any information. She had no leads whatsover and she knew enough not to search under Jung Hwa's name. Rather she went to search for various news, military and non-military related to see if she could get an inkling of what's been going on. Jung Hwa being undercover made things more difficult, especially with her being so clueless about the particulars of his mission. She had called Kwan Seok who only kept apologizing since he could not impart any other news to her without compromising security protocols. She was getting increasingly frustrated and anxious with worry. Reading the news was not helpful. There were so many incidents, though tagged as "minor" but still involving various military factions even in this temporary settlement of peace. And she finally slammed the laptop shut when she kept reading news with increasing violence in the demilitarized zone involving "unnamed people of interests." 

She sat with her head on her hands, her thoughts running away from her even as she tried to rein her fears with practicalities.

She heard a door opening and shut and hope bloomed in her chest as she ran out of the bedroom. She was greeted by the sight of Jung Hwa walking all in rumpled clothing. He never looked as good in her eyes as he did right now. She ran fully into him, the force of it pushing him back to the door, while his waiting arms held her in a tight embrace.

"You're back," she said, clinging to him, touching his face gently, as if his absence were years in passing rather than mere days. 

"I promised I would. I missed you; did you miss me?"

"Yes," as she hugged him tight as her arms would allow. "I feel like a lovesick puppy because of you."

He chuckled in her hair, finding comfort to be home, to be in her arms. "We can be lovesick together, then," and he tipped her chin to reach down for a kiss.

.

.

She had been brushing her hair in the mirror, for ages now it seems, her actions, slow and thoughtful. She finally caught his eyes looking at her in the reflection of the mirror. And her breath stuck in as they shared a look, a look unmistakable in its intent. Her eyes fluttered but she willed herself to keep his gaze. And when he walked towards her, her brush fell from her hands. She turned around to face him fully, still meeting his eyes, not wanting to look away, even as a deep blush crept up her cheeks. His hands stole to brush her lips tenderly, his eyes searching hers for any signs of objections. And when she took a step towards him, he caught her in a kiss so passionate, so heated it was a wonder she remained standing still. In one swift movement she was lifted in his arms, her gasps swallowed by his kiss, as he brought them to their bed.

.

.

.