Chapter 6

When The Dawn Wind Rises

Mi Yeung spoke with the pharmacist aide in the clinic in town, a young lady named So Yuen. "Could you please just give me at least half the amount until I get the rest paid for?" 

"I'm sorry, Miss, I cannot do that; I can't fill half of the medicine for half the price. You need to pay for the full amount," was So Yuen's nasal reply.

"But Mr. Kang did it before - --"

"Miss, Mr. Kang is not here and won't be back until the weekend," the girl rudely interrupted her.

Mi Yeung is at her wits end, and her frustrations were ready to spill in form of tears. She refused to show any weakness, certainly not to this snip of a girl. She turned away racking her brains on how to come up with additional funds to get the much needed medicines. She could not afford to wait for Mr. Kang, the pharmacist who has been sympathetic, an old friend of her Appa. He needed his heart medicine, and by tomorrow he will be completely out. She had pawned her Halmoni's necklace a long time ago, and the ahjussi there had been sympathetic too, holding onto the small jewelry until she can buy it back. She thought of asking Dae Du, Mrs. Pung's son. He might help, she thought. But her mind rebelled in asking. Dae Du had made his intentions known a long time ago by asking her hand in marriage, but she held out. He himself is not established in life and she did not believe in jumping out of the frying pan into the fire. Asking for his help now might necessitate certain concession on her part. Am I willing to do this now? Is this a temporary fix or a solution? she thought as she made her way back to the common house. She needed to make up her mind. She is fast running out of options.  

.

.

She met Mrs. Wen outside who was busy setting out tea things. She is surprised at this, as it has turned cloudy and rain seems to threaten the sky. She found that she is clutching the pill container in her hand and placed it in her pocket for safekeeping.

"Mi Yeung-ie, I'm glad you came home early. I was ready to send one of the kids for you," Mrs. Wen said.

Fear crept in her eyes, "Is Appa ok? What 's wrong?"

"He's fine, I didn't mean to alarm you," Ms. Wen said. "A visitor came to visit from the army.  He told me he knew your Appa a long time ago. I'm so glad. He never had a visitor before. Such a lovely man."

Mi Yeung sighed in relief and a puzzled look replaced the initial dread she felt. "Let me go check on them."

"Here, Mi Yeung, bring the tea things with you. I thought it would be nice to have it outside, but I'm afraid now it might rain," Mrs. Wen said.

"Go on then, Mrs. Wen, before you get caught in the rain. Thank you," said Mi Yeung as she took the tray and walked inside.

She stopped in her tracks upon seeing Jung Hwa with her father.

.

.

.

Jung Hwa met her eyes, noting the disbelief flashing in them. He scrambled up to help her with the tea tray as she stood seemingly frozen in her tracks. 

"Mi Yeung-sshi, annyeong," he greeted her softly.

"Annyeong, Jung Hwa-sshi," she replied, finding her voice. "I did not expect to see you at all." She cleared , "Forgive my manners, please sit and have some tea."

She served the tea and helped her Appa take small sips from a cooled cup. "Thank you for visiting Appa. I hope you are well," Mi Yeung said.

"I am. I'm sorry for dropping by unannounced," Jung Hwa said. "I had been meaning to visit but.." his voice trailed off.

"We understand. It's been a very trying time for everyone."

"I'm sorry to hear about Halmoni," he added.

"Yes, thank you. She was at least spared other difficulties as a result of the war," Mi Yeung said, her voice catching, "I miss her so.."

"Mi Yeung-ie," Mr. Lee cut in. Both looked at him, waiting for him to speak. Mr. Lee continued in a halting voice, "Halmoni never did annul the contract."

"What?" Mi Yeung said in surprise. "I don't understand. I thought she and Mr. Sung had all of this taken care of." 

Mr. Lee looked at Jung Hwa, who excused himself, leaving the father and daughter time to talk alone.

"I will not presume to know what Halmoni had in mind all along, but Jung Hwa just showed me that the certificate remains valid," Mr Lee said. "I've asked him to honor your marriage."

She turned surprised eyes at her father. "Appa, I'm not leaving you."

"You don't have to. I asked him this as a favor --wait," as he coughed harshly; he held his hand up to stop her from talking. Mi Yeung helped him take a sip of water to catch his breath.

"Appa.."

He shook his head, his weakened right hand grasping hers as tight as he could. "Listen, you can refuse now if you want. But he can help us, he can help you...You do not have to stay married too long," he said as fresh bouts of coughing overtook him once more. 

"Mi Yeung-ie, I'm..I'm tired." His voice whispered hoarsely. "I cannot go not knowing you will be taken care of."

She finally let go of her tears and cried in his arms. He held her close, the way he used to do when she was but a little girl, that time she sought comfort in his arms after skinning her knees, or that time after she got her feelings hurt after getting scolded by her halmoni; he let her cry all the unspent tears she kept in for a long time. And he held her, comforted her as only a father could his daughter as she cried her heart out against the unfairness of the world ....

.

.

Jung Hwa sat on the stoop, looking out to the field. His conversations with Mr. Lee still in his mind. "Please," was the only word Mr. Lee said after he made the purpose of his visit known. He had reach out a shaky hand to Jung Hwa and just repeated, "please." He knew what Mr. Lee is asking of him. And he agreed, knowing he had a debt to pay to a dying man.

He turned when he heard her approach. Her face still reddened, but composed. She stood by the doorway and both looked out to the field with eyes not really seeing anything.

"Mi Yeung-sshi," he started, but she interrupted him. "I will not hold you to a promise given under this circumstances, Jung Hwa-sshi."

She was quiet for a moment. He let her gather her thoughts, knowing the decision impacts her more than him at this moment in time.

He heard her draw a deep breath before speaking. "I have always been a practical one, even when I was a small girl. My Halmoni used to say I have an old soul...

"..But I'm sorry if you feel entrapped...no please let me finish," she said as Jung Hwa tried to contradict her.

"My Halmoni may have thought she knew what's best for me, but I need to apologize to you just the same for this... Please..." And she bowed to him deeply, before sitting down next to him on the steps.

Jung Hwa looked at her, acknowledging her need to give apology. "I don't feel entrapped. I did give Mr. Lee my word and I intend to keep it. But you can decide what you want to do," he said to her gently. She was quiet again for a moment. 

When she spoke once more, her voice is a mere whisper, much like the light raindrops carried by the breeze.

"I am tired of struggling, this nonexistent living; each day becoming harder than the last. I'm tired of worrying about what to do," her voice soft as she looked up at the sky, watching the raindrops fall gently, slowly at first until it poured in sheets around them. "I want to be selfish now and live." She glanced down seemingly afraid to meet his eyes.

Jung Hwa held his hand out to her. She saw his hand outstretched and looked up to meet his eyes, searching to see but found no judgment reflected there only understanding. A sigh escaped her lips. She took his hand and together they sat in silence, looking out at the world, watching the rain fall around them, as if washing away the old, becoming a harbringer of new things to come. And they look forward with hands clasp in each other's to greet the new, together.

.

.