CHAPTER SIX

When Fate Meets Destiny

At night in the Main House of Konoe… Riyoung and Yongguk are joining the dinner together with the rest of Konoe. All of them have their own fun time together…

“Indeed, your grandmother still follows the old rules of Konoe,” said Konoe Kaoru. Grandfather Kaoru is the oldest first son in Konoe family, which is Riyoung’s grandmother, Grandmother Kaori’s twin.

Konoe family consist three of the siblings, they are Grandmother Kaori (Jung Kaori), Grandfather Kaoru, and Grandfather Kyoya. Grandmother Kaori and Grandfather Kaoru are a twin, and Grandfather Kyoya is their younger brother. After Grandmother Kaori married Jung Yirang, they move to Luxembourg for twenty years before a return to Seoul, Korea. Although they are apart, this sibling still remembers each other. Grandfather Kaoru and Grandfather Kyoya are still considered as Riyoung’s grandfathers. Riyoung likes to listen to both grandfather’s old days stories about themselves. That makes their relationship with Konoe family getting deeper. Both grandfathers have their own family—however, their children and grandchildren were staying outside the Main House of Konoe. Most of them live in Hokkaido and Kanto regions. Only Grandfather Kaoru and Grandfather Kyoya, with their wife still staying there.

“Yongguk-san, can I ask you something?” asked Grandfather Kaoru, his face turned serious.

Yongguk sits still and nods.

“I really want to know this,” said Grandfather Kaoru, “how do you know my granddaughter, Riyoung? I know she’s the type that will ignore the rest of the male except the male in Konoe family.”

“You’re right, Kaoru-niisan,” agreed Grandfather Kyoya. “She’s not the type that will involve this kind of relationship.”

“It was very long story…” said Yongguk, smiling at Grandfather Kyoya and Grandfather Kaoru.

All of them were silent, and listen attentively to what Yongguk is going to tell them; it is very details, they were amazes with the step that Yongguk was taken. But, Yongguk needs something more to prove their relationship so he suddenly takes Riyoung’s hand and squeezes it up to show it to Riyoung’s grandparent. Riyoung is taken aback by the sudden boldness of Yongguk as she almost chokes on her drink. She coughs vigorously, her free hand rubs her chest to calm herself down. She looks at Yongguk with wide eyes, gazing back and forth between him and her grandparent that look surprised as her.

“What is this?” Riyoung asks, pointing at their hands that freely showing in the air.

Yongguk turns to the side, looks at her seriously and answers, “As a prove…” And then, he let her hand go.

“Oh??” then, she takes a sip of her black ocha, looking at her grandfather nods their head in disbelief by the sudden way of Yongguk showing something that they did not expect to happen.

There is a moment of silence before Yongguk suddenly make a move, as he leans to his side and whispers to Riyoung, “do you think they believe us?”

Riyoung looks at him, and leans closer to replies him in the tone that only both of them can hear, “I don’t know, do you care if they don’t believe?”

Yongguk straighten himself up and looks straight without any emotion showing, then, answers, “I don’t care.”

She looks at him and analyzes his face expression then nodded because she understands him. Yongguk is this kind of man who doesn’t show his feelings that much but she knows him inside out without him telling her.

“Me too,” she states, after a long pause and continue to drink her black ocha.

At the corner of her eyes, she saw Yongguk nodded slowly to her statement and hummed. She slips out a small smile. Why did I like this guy again? I will never know the answer, she thought.

After a moment that seems to feel forever for them, Yongguk decided it’s time to end the suffocating session by going out to take some fresh air.

“Do you want to come?” he asks Riyoung while putting on his shoes without looking at her.

“Where to?” she asks back, arms folded as she leans on her side at the wall of the hallway, heading to the main entrance, looking at him curiously.

“Just anywhere,” he replies, waving his hand in the air, “so, are you coming?”

As she wants to reply, she heard her name being called from the main room, and she rolls her eyes, sighing and shout a reply, “Yes, grandpa!!!”

Yongguk let out a small laugh and with a mocking voice, he says, “there you go, baby girl, your grandpa is calling.”

Riyoung shows her fist towards the still chuckling Yongguk, and rolls her eyes to indicate irritation.

“Stop rolling your eyes, I don’t want my girlfriend’s eyes to be uneven,” he says before turning towards the main door.

The more he says that the more she rolls her eyes in annoyance. Before she turns her heels towards the direction of the main room, she reminds Yongguk, “just come back early,” and stomps her way to the main room. She only can hear a soft hum as a reply from Yongguk and she can imagine he nodded while humming. A small smile slips throughout her lips.