two!

Our Scarlet Dance

The music was deafening and the sour smell of liquor hung in the air. Jennie shifted nervously, walking into the club. Her eyes scanned the horizon and, apart from the couples pressed up against the walls and people gathered at the heart of the club, dancing to whatever noise the DJ was playing, she couldn't see anyone else. She couldn't see him.  She cursed silently, her eyebrows furrowed into an ugly frown as she slipped out the crowd.  I swear I saw him going in here.

Jennie fished out her phone, double-checking LeeYong's accommodation details and decided to ambush him in his room. She spotted a stairwell, briskly walking towards it, her head bowed so not to raise any attention. Her eyes looked up at the almost daunting flights of the staircase before running up, skipping steps as her long legs pulled her forward. After 4 stories, she conquered another flight of stairs. She stood at the stair lobby, taking a moment to catch her breath. The size of the hotel boasted a 35-storey high building, Jennie just thanked God that LeeYong had stayed in a normal room on the fifth storey - rather than the penthouses at the top of the building. It wasn't that she couldn't take the lift. It was that hotels like The Clover Hotel that houses many celebrities over the course of time would have installed CCTV. If she was caught on film, her career as an affiliate of the Black Manor might as well be non-existent.

She slipped out of the stairwell, making her way down the hallway to Room 507. Glancing at the hallway to make sure that no one was in the vicinity, Jennie swiftly pulled out a small black box, attaching it to the door lock. The light at the top of the lock turned from red to green, beeping as if it had detected a room key. Jennie grinned, carefully tugging the black box off the lock and walked into the pitch black room. 

"We finally meet, White Rabbit." 

Jennie tensed up upon hearing the voice, her hand instinctively reaching for her gun. "Who are you?" 

A flicker of light came from the right side of the room, as a bedside lamp shone a yellow light on the man sitting on the bed. On LeeYong. Jennie's brows furrowed in curiosity, but she seized LeeYong's unguarded state and swiftly leaped on the bed, trapping LeeYong with her legs on either side of him as she pulled the gun out of her belt. She charged the gun despite the annoying voice in her head asking questions. Something she picked up in the mafia was that asking questions and interacting with the enemy was the equivalent of digging your own grave.

"You shouldn't do that White Rabbit," LeeYong taunted. His voice was soft, which was different from his voice from the television dramas. But more importantly, he wasn't even scared which made Jennie nervous. Unintimidated preys are the hardest to hunt because they can think rationally, instead of on relying on human's ever-failing instincts. 

Her finger hovered over the trigger, hesitating for a moment.

"If you do that, how would I pay you your 10 million dollars." LeeYong grinned, which only agitated Jennie. 

"What do you mean?" Jennie growled, her muscles tensing as she dug the gun into his skin.

"Exactly that, if you want any more explanations I'll need you to stop being so aggressive." 

She glared at LeeYong for a moment, before relaxing and pulling herself off him, sitting at the edge of the bed. "Explain. Everything."

He smirked at Jennie's defeat, pulling his collar taut before speaking. "I paid you to kill me. But I don't want you to actually kill me."

"If it's a game you're looking for, I'm not interested." Jennie stood up but was stopped by LeeYong grabbing her hand. 

"Sit down, I still haven't finished my story. And it's really rude to interrupt people when they are talking." LeeYong waited until Jennie sat down, this time, on the other bed opposite him, before continuing. "As I was saying, I need you to kill me. I want the world to think that I'm dead."

"What do I get in return?"

"Apart from the glory of killing Korea's First Love and taking down the largest mafia head-"

"Wait," Jennie interrupted,"what 'taking down the largest mafia head' are you talking about?" 

"Once again, interruptions are rude. I'll explain everything, you'll just perk up your rabbit ears and listen. You'll help me with two things: pretending to kill me and actually killing my father. In return, I'll give you the resources you need to track down your parents' killer." 

Jennie froze at his last sentence. She had kept it a secret. Her thirst for revenge. Yet now, this stranger sitting in front of her somehow attained knowledge of it, and better even, had offered help. Admittedly, she needed all the help she could get and LeeYong could provide it. She pulled at her bottom lips, her eyes flickering from the carpeted floor to LeeYong. There was a reason why she hadn't partnered up with anyone and why she refused to talk about her parents' deaths-because word of the mouth is the most lethal weapon there is. If he blabbed to the wrong people and betrayed her, she'll become a glowing red target for everyone. They'll exploit it and tear her down. She shook her head. 

"I-I-I don't know how to fake a death, " Her eyes remained fixated at the carpet as she stood up. "You should fin-" 

"Stop lying," the tone of his voice shifted from trusting and soft to a low and threatening one, "Kim HeeJung."

Jennie spun around, "What did you say?"

"Yea, I did some research. Why did you think I specifically recruited you?" A sly smirk hung on his face. "You're the only one that can help me, and I'm the only one how can help you. If you want my word, I'll swear it on my little sister." 

A sigh left Jennie's lips, and with it all her concerns. Think of the bigger picture. Anything he does, as long as it's helpful, will decrease the distance between you and the killer. 

"I'll help. On one condition, I'm the leader." 

LeeYong smiled and nodded. "I'm glad you understand my predicament." 

---

Daehyun threw his leather jacket on the floor, glaring at the taller boy sitting on a stool at the bar. 

"I thought you said you had everything under control," he growled.

The other boy remained calm, swirling his glass before taking a sip of the brown liquid. "Calm down hyung-"

"Jun. Hong. I told you that I would not tolerate failure."

"This isn't a failure, it's just sacrifices that we've had to make. All for the greater good."

Daehyun stormed up to Junhong, grabbing him by his collar. "Don't tell me that it's all for the greater good." He pointed at a metal box sitting on a table. "Don't tell me that that sick freak's killings are rationalized."

"Hyung-"

"This is the second body this month. What the hell are you doing? Get your act together."

"I didn't mean for-"

"They never do. Anything you say will not change anything, Rose will not come back to life." He let go of Junhong's collar, pushing him back before leaving the room. 

Junhong sighed, straightening his collar as he walked towards the box. His fingers trailed the edges of the box, he knew the contents of the box. Anyone in the Black Manor would. But there was still a lingering hope in his mind. Please. Don't let this be Rose. He lifted the lid, immediately letting go when the strawberry blonde hair peeked out. He closed his eyes, willing the hot tears away. 

"Don't let her death affect you so much," Jongup said, placing one hand on the other male.

Junhong shrugged off his hand, "Funny you say that. It's not like you were the reason that she died."

"You know it's not your fault. That sick er wouldn't take no for an answer and that's why he did this. You-" 

"Whatever," Junhong slammed a file against Jongup's chest, "Get her body to Baekhyun."

---

"Who are you?" Himchan inquired. His black eyes locked in an intense eye contact with LeeYong. 

"I am LeeYong, but I'm more known under the pseudonym of Korea's First Love. Currently 23 years old."

"I know,"Himchan rolled his eyes,"I meant, what is your business here?"

LeeYong glanced at Jennie, looking for some sort of help. "It's not polite to interrogate your guest the first thing they reach your house. The least you could have done was offered me a cup of coffee."

Himchan wiped his hands on his face, "Look, you're not welcomed here. Meaning that right now, you're an intruder."

"Wasn't one of Black Manor's policy to give shelter to anyone who needs it?" Jennie intervened, annoyed at Himchan's incessant questioning since they reached the Black Manor.

"This guy isn't needy, he doesn't need our help," he shot a dirty look at LeeYong," for all you know he is a spy." 

Jennie worked her knuckles at a temple,"If it makes you feel better, I'll take responsibility for him."

Himchan's eyes widened in shock, caught off-guard. He hadn't expected Jennie to take up extra responsibilities. Notorious for her dedication to her missions, only Himchan was aware that Jennie's so-called dedication was attributed to her greed to find her parents' killers. Anything else, she had no interest. 

"F-fine! He'll sleep in your room then. You're also responsible fo-"

"Yes, I got it," Jennie uttered, standing up. "Can we go now?" 

Himchan nodded, his eyes lingering on the other male-eyeing him with suspicion. 

When the duo returned to Jennie's room, Jennie immediately went to her desk, pulling out a roll of black tape.  She unraveled the tape, sticking the tape onto her wooden floor.  

"This line separates my part of the room." 

"I don't have a bed," LeeYong pointed out as his eyes wandered the almost-empty room.

"You should be buried six foot under, I'm being nice by offering my floor to you," Jennie shot a fake smile before pulling out a beige-colored stack. "You can have this, but you'll have to inflate it by yourself." 

Jennie sat on the edge of her bed, resting her elbows on her knees as her hands clasped together. She watched as the male settled on the floor, opening up the inflatable mattress.

"I have to explain some rules."

LeeYong nodded, waving his hand to urge her on. 

"The Black Manor operates on some fundamental rules:

1. Do not mess with the police or other gang members.

2. Silence is golden. 

3. The ruling members have absolute authority, don't challenge them.

Understand?"

"Who are the ruling members?" 

"You'll know when you meet them."

A knock on the door interrupted the duo, their heads turning to the source of the sound. 

"Yongguk wants to talk to you,"Lisa spoke. 

Jennie cursed under her breath, "What does that old man want now?"

"I don't know," Lisa shrugged," said something about a newcomer?" 

Jennie nodded, wiping her hands on her thighs before leaving the room with Lisa. The walk to Yongguk's office was silent as neither girls knew each other, an awkward silence filled the air apart from their brutally mundane conversation involving questions like How was your mission? and equally banal answers of Not bad, how about yours? Jennie bid Lisa goodbye when they reached the doors the office. She took a deep breath before opening the door, preparing herself for Yongguk's anger. 

"You want to talk?" she uttered carefully as if treading on a thin line.

Yongguk nodded, pushing a file to the side of his mahogany wooden table and gesturing Jennie to sit in one of the black chair placed in front. Yongguk's emotionless facial expression was something that Jennie had brought herself to get used to, but it didn't help to calm her nerves. Instead, it fueled her idea that she was in deep trouble.

"Himchan told me about LeeYong." 

Jennie nodded her head as she fiddled with her thumbs under the table, unable to make eye contact with him.

"You know how I feel about bringing people to this mansion. There was a reason that I had it built so far in the wild." 

Jennie nodded again, swallowing a lump that had formed at the back of . Yongguk had an overwhelming presence that almost weighed down the air in the room, it suffocated Jennie just by being in the same room as him.

"I'll let you off this time because you said that you would take responsibility for him. But what will you do if he betrays us?" 

"Sir, with all due respect, LeeYong just wants revenge. I saw myself within him. I had to help him." 

Yongguk narrowed his eyes, "I understand where you're coming from. You've always had an innocent heart, wanting to help everyone." He then spoke in a lower, more menacing tone. "But if he betrays us, it's as good as you being a traitor to us." 

Jennie dug her fingers into her wet palm, "I understand sir."

Yongguk glanced between his file and her, "Good. Dismissed."

---

The next morning, as Jennie was getting ready to head upstairs, she spotted Jisoo reading a newspaper-Today's newspaper. She made her way to Jisoo, sitting next to her as a small smile spread on her face. 

"Hey, can I uh, can I borrow the newspaper?"

Jisoo turned toward the sound, only just realizing the presence of the younger. "Sure! Hang on." She pulled out a page from the newspaper before handing the stack to Jennie. Jennie thanked Jisoo, before rushing up the steps, skipping a few and almost colliding with a half-awake Junhong. She barged into her room, spotting the male 

Jennie threw the newspaper in front of LeeYong. "Look."

"What is this?" LeeYong asked, rubbing his eyes as he sat up before lifting up the paper and reading the headlines.

Breaking News: Fire at Clover Hotel kills LeeYong. Thousands to show up at his funeral later tonight. 

"Good job," he half-smiled, his tactful way of expressing his gratitude towards her. "I can't believe that you actually succeed."

Jennie rolled her eyes but didn't respond with anything. Only pulling out a chair as she sat down at her desk, and writing in a small notebook. 

This is the start of it all, LeeYong thought to himself. "I think that it's ironic, don't you?"

"What?" Jennie said, her voice barely above a whisper. 

"I'm technically dead. Yet I've never felt so alive." 

Jennie kept didn't respond, but LeeYong couldn't care more about it. He grinned like an idiot, tilting his head back laughing out of glee. It was his first day being dead, yet he felt so happy - the happiest since he won Gold for Seoul's Ballet Competition in 2014. No, he thought to himself. I don't feel happy. 

He felt immortalized.