Epilogue 2: It Happens

If Only...

Epilogue 2: It Happens

BGM: Confession By Yook Sungjae

 

It was like any other day for them, full with schedules and also award show. All idols gathered at the backstage before the official ceremony starts. One man has been seen rushing through the crowd to enter the BTOB dressing room.

“Yook Sungjae.” Lee Changsub shouted.

“Wae?” Sungjae answered simply.

Ya.. I’m your hyung.”

“Waeyo?”

Suddenly, Changsub pulled him into the corner of the dressing room, kicking the other members from entering their sacred place.

“Do you know why Joy seemed okay again?”

“Eoh. Why me?”

Changsub squinted his eyes.. “Maknae. I’m not dumb. Did something happen with you two?”

“We just talked.”

“Talk only right?”

“Yes.”

“You stupid. You went out the entire night with her and you only talk?! Tell me there’s something fruitful resulted in that night.”

“Are you asking me to bed her?” Sungjae eyes widened.

“YA! I’m your hyung but yaa it’s Sooyoungiee. YOU DARE?!”

“But you keep asking me what happen?!”

“Kiss is the maximum thing you are allowed to Yook Sungjae. More or less than that you are a big fool.”

“I did kiss her.” Sungjae muttered

“You did?!” Changsub squealed. “That’s our boy” Changsub land a really hard smack on Sungjae’s back.

“OUCH.”

“Uhm so.. like you guys are okay now?”

“We are but… we also are quite vague.” Sungjae sighed. “Sometimes I do get tired of being an idol but I love to sing so much. Still, I just want to have a relationship with her. I don’t know whether its possible to keep my promise to her.”

“What did you promise her?”

“I will make us work. Me and her.”

Changsub just smiled like a proud dad at the maknae.

“We will help you.” Eunkwang suddenly barged in with the other members. “We like Sooyoung with you. You seem so genuinely happy with her. I can’t possibly take that away from you.”

“Yeah. Let’s settle it in our fans head that we need to date and they need to accept it okay?” Peniel said determinedly before bumping his head to Sungjae. “So wake up okay! Don't be so sad.”

“It would be great if they are okay with it… I will talk to the management soon about this.”

Changsub looked at him shocked. “What?”

“Yes. I think me dating Joy will be garnering some positive attention and I want to let sm know I’m not going to do anything that will danger Joy position as a celeb.”

“OH MY. SUNGJAE YOU SO COOL.” Eunkwang squealed.

“Will SM let you though?” Minhyuk the silent one suddenly asked.

“Cube too.”

“We can deal with our own company but SM is an outlier now.”

***

The thought of having Joy so near to him again after the night they spend together makes him so nervous. Like his heart can burst any time soon…

He walked through the hallway when he noticed she was chatting with her previous drama co-star. They were giggling and all.

He wanted to say hi to her. At least a wave or something. He did not see her at all since that day and he wondered.. does her heart remained the same.

No. He must trust her.

He just swallowed his jealousy in and tried to walk pass by her.

But his hand was grabbed by someone. So, he stopped and looked at the hand which was holding him. It was Joy.

She squeezed her hand close to his.

Sungjae glanced at Joy. She was still talking to the guy.

But her hand was holding his secretly as she hides it on her back.

He smiled and squeezed back her hand. She immediately let him go again and concentrate on her drama partner.

He didn’t need much from her. He just needed this from time to time to know she still wanted him. At least, until they are in the position to take their relationship to a next level.

***

“I want to date Joy.” Sungjae declared seriously as he seated next to his entertainment company new CEO.”

The latter just sat there, eyes slightly widened but quickly regained his composure.

“Why are you telling me this? You can just go on and have secret dates.”

“I need you to inform SM about this arrangement.”

“You have some guts, young man. SM will never let their only group female idol and to add on one of the most pushed members to just go and date a guy from other company. She is like the second visual for the group. What are you thinking?”

“We have people that like us together. Maybe we can use it as our leverage?”

“What can we as a company gain from this Sungjae?”

“It can lead to good results? We have access to SM fans and public approval.”

“Or disapproval. Despite us allowing you to date. You, Sungjae. Is the most popular member. Do you think the company is nuts?”

“I love her, please. I don’t want to cause trouble. That's why I talk to you, Can you at least devise some plan so that people will be able to accept this. Try and consider this.”

“I will consider this out of respect for you being direct about this to us.”

***

Its been months and there are no words from Cube, Sungjae has been getting impatient but continued with his activities as per usual. Avoiding her in public like he was supposed to do. She is getting busier with her solo gigs and with her group and he is getting busier with his commercial and group activities.

They barely have any activities that coincide with each other and this is getting back to the same pattern of their previous activities that made them grown apart at the first place. It is so hard to contact her. When he reached her, it was usually her manager who was helping her to respond. By the time, she responded it was at the wee hours of the night and he had another schedule to go to.

It became a routine.

He tried again to text her, and she responded.

‘can we meet up, oppa? I miss you and I have things to tell you.’

‘I will come over, where?’

‘Han River, my manager will help me cover it up there.’

‘They know?’

‘They watch my every move oppa, nowadays. Of course, they know. I will see you soon.’

Sungjae was just standing there as he watched over the moonlight reflecting on the river when he felt a pair of arms wrapped around his waist. He felt her snuggling on his neck from the back. He knows it is her even before glancing to his side. It was her smell. The flower scent that she claimed was her favourite perfume.

It was her body, he knows it so well. He memorises the feeling of it being pressed closely to his.

He smiled softly. He missed her. He brings her hand close to his heart. So she can feel his heartbeat.

“Hmm..” She hummed. “I miss this.”

“Me too.”

“Can we take a stroll, oppa?”

“Like this?”

“Uhuh.” She bobbed her head and leaned in to plant a soft kiss on his cheek.

“Is this okay, we hanging out together like this?” Sungjae intertwined their fingers together. He had always liked how Joy small hand fit with his big ones.

“The premise is clear. The manager oppa had checked. They promised me this for working me so hard. I got scolded oppa.” Joy pouts.

Sungjae frowned and quickly pull her to face him. “What do you mean?”

“The upper management doesn’t like my stunt of missing in action for one day and was shocked to hear your offer.”

“So my management has already?”

“Yes.” “They didn’t like it. They said they can just pair me with some other SM artist if they want us some boost in popularity. They cannot control you, oppa.”

“I will think of some other way. Maybe if I work harder. I become more famous then..”

“Oppa..” Joy palmed his cheek to look at her eyes. Her lips pressed into a thin smile as her eyes were starting to get teary.

She was struggling.

“Don’t do this anymore. Don’t work so hard anymore. Not for me. You are more than famous. I will convince them. I will return back their investment. I just need to know whether having this kind of rare meeting is enough for you?”

The seriousness of the situation was suddenly knocked over when Sungjae pinched her cheek.

Pabo. You are such a kid. You don’t know how pretty you are? I can wait as long as you want. If I can’t, I will let you know. I’m fine with this. Us being slightly more than friends that we both know like each other.”

“Just let me know if you don’t like me anymore so I can back down.”

“You too oppa, just tell me so I will back out.”

Joy just curved a small smile and then stared at the side. Away from his eyes. He can hear a small sob coming from her but do nothing but bites his lips in pain.

It must be said. People might question why she did not say that will never happen. But she knows better now.. She knows better after being beat up by this harsh industry of idols being worked like slave.

“But I like you too much for it to happen.” She turned to look at him, her lips curled upwards but her eyes were sad. Sad but it was genuine. He knows that much.

“You don’t need to say that to reassure me. I know.”

“But words need to be said oppa. If I don’t let you know. You will doubt me.”

“Aigo, you have matured so much.” Sungjae grinned messing up her hair. “I love you.” He spoke softly as he leaned to whisper jokingly to her ear before getting a slap on his arms from her.

“I just like you when you laugh. You look innocent.”

“You mean I don’t look like one now?”

Sungjae shook his head.

“YA”

Ahrasso.. Ahrasso. I will be more romantic!” Sungjae tried to coax her by making cute face but she is still pouting.

“If you still pout, I will kiss you!” Sungjae warned.

She ignored him and just huffed her cheeks to make it round like a mochi.

He smirked. He will teach her a lesson.

He leaned in and peck her lips.

Her eyes widened.

“Still get surprised aigo.”

“Aniyo.”

“You need to adjust.”

“I will slowly. It just.. you know.” she blushed.

“I know.” He leaned and peck her lips again.“I want you to get used to it fast.” He kiss her again. “So.” Another kiss.. this time its longer. Sweeter. “i can steal a kiss every now and then from you.” He grinned before leaning his forehead with hers.

“I don’t know you are such a kissing monster?”

“You cannot believe how hard i restrain myself, every single time you pull an aegyo to me.” He chuckled.

“Oppa… are you sure you have stayed single ever since we did We Got Married?” Joy glared, pulling back as she held her burning cheeks.

“Ahah. A secret.”

“Ya.”

“Who ask you to be so pretty?!?”

“Be serious oppa. You just said that to get out of trouble don’t you. And you work with so many women before.”

“Park Sooyoung. Don’t go over that part. Who is the one working with a lot of male co-stars… who is the one being friendly to them… who is the one that got shipped whenever she breathe the air with a male idol. Who is the one..”

Joy cupped his cheek and leaned in for a long peck to silent him.

“You don’t think you can silent me by doing that?!”

“I’m sorry okay.” Joy rubbed her hand together, begging for forgiveness. “Let’s not bring the past.”

EXACTLY.” Sungjae exclaimed. “I just want you okay. I always want you.”

“I’m sorry..”

“Why?”

“It must be hard because I’m an sm idol.”

“Joy. Is there something wrong with your company? You keep on saying sorry about this. I feel like there is something wrong. Do they scold you? Please tell me..”

“Red Velvet. I’m worried about my group.” Joy bites her lips hard, Trying to hold back her tears as she shut her eyelids tight.

Sungjae pulled her in for a hug. “It must have been hard..”

“It will be hard for you to see me again.”

“I know.” Sungjae pats her head. “I know. I’m not forcing you Joy. I’m saying, if your heart is still with me. Just remind me once in a while you care.”

“I wiil be seeing them again after this. The upper management. I’m nervous…. You know. I’ve got an offer for Fitz..”

“Me too.”

“Are you accepting it?”

“I give up Sprite for this pabo.”

“I know. Will it be okay? SM is doing it to test the water.”

“We will be okay.”

“I need to go, oppa.”

He smiled. “I will call you okay.”

And he watched as her back fades away from view, sighing. But somehow, his body still feels light. He believed, it will work out. SM will not consider Fitz if they don’t want her with him. He will promote this beer wherever. He will try harder.

He opened his phone and pressed her phone number.

Opppa?”

“I remember you haven’t slept right? You must be nervous going to SM?”

She softly nodded, putting the phone close to her ear… wanting to feel as close to him as possible.

‘You know, I’m bad with words right? So I’m going to sing you this song.”

He suddenly hums softly, a melody that she knows well. It was the song called Little Star by Standing Egg.

 

Close your eyes and listen carefully to my story

Before my story ends, you will dream

Little star tonight

All night, I will watch over you

When I first met you, it was truly eye-blinding

When I first saw your smile, I felt like I had the whole world

Little star tonight

All night, I will watch over you

“Are you asleep?” Sungjae gently asked and he heard a soft hum from her.

“I love you.”

“Mm.. me too, oppa.”

Soon after, Joy opens the door of the highest level room in SM. She was greeted by a dark silhouette facing away from her.

“Annyeonghaeseyo.” She tried not to stutter at the highest person in SM.

“Joy. Sit.”

“You are an idol.” The CEO spoke loud and clear. “Do you know what you sign up for?”

The manager who brought her to the room soon close the door and let the two talk. He walked away, having a deep thought all by himself as the talking voices were being swallowed by the closing of the door.

I wonder how it will all work out.

She might need to wait for years.

Can she even do that?

***

A strand of a grey hair can be seen peeking out from his messy bed hair. She giggled as she sat there, looking at him adoringly. She trailed the tip of her finger on his evident frown, trying to soothe it as she smiled lovingly.

Words cannot describe how she loved him.

Yes, even now. Even now, when he is an old Yook.

She leaned in to kiss his forehead. Never getting enough of this life. She laid close to his body.

“I love you.”

“Hmm..” He mumbled sleepily.

She felt sluggish and wanted to sleep when she felt small feet accidentally stepping on her.

“O-o.” The little girl gasped.

Yook Mina. What are you doing up here.” Joy sat up and put her hand on her waist. Trying to show anger towards the little girl.

“I want to sleep with mommy and daddy. Heee.”

She wanted so bad to be the stern mother, but her heart softens so easily when looking at her child puppy eyes and hearing her aegyo voice.

Where did she even learn to do aegyo this good?

“You need to defeat the tickle monster first!” Joy lifted her hand and mimicked a monster voice… she held her daughter and tickle her and they both burst into fits of laughter.

Sungjae who has been watching the entire time was looking at his small family with a soft smile. He loved them, he loves them so much.

This is why he worked so hard for… his dream. His family.

“It is because of you, she had such a lethal aegyo. What do you even teach the kid?” He scolded jokingly.

“I don’t even teach her anything… It must be in the genes.” Joy said proudly.

“Then I must reward the mom for giving me a beautiful girl.” He said with a mischievous smile.

“No, Sungjae… I haven’t brushed my teeth.”

“Neither did i!”

Come my two baby girls.” He laughed happily.

They finally settled into the bed together as both Joy and him watched with the gentlest smile over their sleeping kid.

Joy was still caressing her daughter’s hair, almost dozing off while doing so.

He smiled looking at the uncanny resemblance between the mother and daughter. Mina has this small dimple on her cheek bone like her mother and certainly her mother lips too. Probably the only thing she got from him was his eyes. Mina even has her mother blunt self.

“Sooyoungie..”

Joy looked up to Sungjae who was trying to reach for her despite their daughter being in the middle.

“Thank you for being a great mother. I know I’m bad at expressing things but that's what I feel.”

Joy smiled. “Aniyo oppa, you have gotten way better now.”

He was about to kiss her when his daughter groaned “Maybe i should sleep alone so, iIcan get another little sibling.” Yook Mina muttered.

Sungjae looked over shock only to see their daughter is sleep talking.

He laughed so hard at the blushing Joy.

Perhaps the happiest laughter he had ever laughed.

As much as he had laughed with his BTOB hyungs

As much as he had smiled when he had first met her.

As much as he had cried when she finally says yes to him and gave birth to his child.

There’s no more ‘if only’ with them.

It happens. They happen.

 

 

  Every time I saw you
It was hard to hide my feelings
I always wanted to tell you
But is this my greed?
Is it supposed to be this hard to love you?
I’m always wanting you
Can’t we be in love?
I’m sure it’ll be hard
But I’ll endure through for you
I only love you  

-Yook Sungjae (Confession)-

 

 

 

Author's Note

Here it goes, the end of my two parts epilogue.