Sound of Silence

Sound of Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The night sky. The sound of the water dripping on the sink. The sound of the silence…

He detests it. The so called good ears of his that allow him to hear anything even small sound of coin dropping on the floor that travels down to his feet. He hates it. If life can go on without sound, he will treasure life. But to be afraid, sound is the most important thing in this world.

“Buzz” the sound of the alarm buzzing sounding and moving showing that his coffee already ready and he need to pick it up. A sighs comes to his life before he gets up and headed to the counter trading the alarm with his coffee.

“Thank you and please come again” says the waitress that he ignores as her voice ring higher on his ears. He hates it.

He can remember the sound of people walking step by step and by now he can differentiate a few close people footstep. His mother footstep is always lively while his father has a strong one. That the last thing he remembers from his parent as now he lives alone far from both of them.

He always hates eating with people as the sound of people munching food always drives him crazy. He would like if they can slow the sound more. Be appropriate to his ears even though the sound barely visible to other people. But for him, it is as loud as speaking.

One of his friends who know about his situation once asked “Why not try music? Since your ears is as sharp as hell, you definitely have a perfect pitch”

He did own a perfect pitch but once he heard the sound of thumping drum and the sound of shrieking electro guitar, he fed up. It is too much for him to handle. He knows there another genre in song like EDM or maybe ballad but he just can’t take it when he can hear the slightest mistake in every song. He is a perfectionist and would sure will throw a snide comment that will makes people cry to add that they don’t know which one need to be redone.

Thus out of all job he chose the calmest one that is a librarian. It is a library that he inherit by some old grandpa who his own lineage doesn’t want to inherit it. He takes care of the library as he writing a novel. Yes. He is also a novelist who despite quite popular without anyone ever know his face or anything about him since he would like to avoid a screaming fans. He hates it.

In this library, the sound of the fan and the book flipping can be heard with some whispering but it is bearable for him. Once he gets into writing or reading he will be off from the world that full of sound and the environment just helped him to get into the mood easier. He loves it.

And in the middle of this whole silence world there one person whose catch his eyes the best. The silence of him that he always hoped to meet and hope everyone turns to be like him.

He is a regular customer of the library and always ended up purchasing several unique and unreadable books that even him wonder where he found it. And he would sometimes suggest him some book to purchase and it is some books that he also wonder is it really exist? But no matter what he did do it.

The trait that makes his eyes land on him is the silence of him. Everyone got their own footstep sound and he knows even himself. But this guy footstep almost gone and when he knows he is standing in front of him showing a book that he want to borrow. The first time this happen he shocked. Usually even how engrossed him in writing or reading, he still can hear the sound of the footstep approaching him. But it is not from this guy. He hates it but in the same time he loves it.

Sometimes he will walk around the library to see if anyone do any banned things and seldom he find him eating in the library. Eating is forbidden to avoid any books getting dirty by the food or drink in case it spill. So he always listens to hear if someone munching anything except candy and give them a warning. But this guy, he eats his whole lunch without him noticing at all. He likes the silence of him eating but hates the fact he eat in the library.

Even though the guy have all the quality to makes he likes him, but he wonder why all these years he never thought about making a move on him. He would just like the constant present of the guy on the library since he is way different than many people. One of a kind.

The things that he learns about him are his name, age, birthday and little other stuff. His name is Jung Yunho and born in February 6 1986 that also mean he is 31 years old. He likes to read unique untouchable novels that I wonder where he found. And like to eat while reading. But the most important thing is he barely makes any sound except when talking.

There always times when he wonder what job he got since he always here like someone who got nothing to do except reading in this library. Sometimes the question is out on the tip of his tongue to ask him whenever he comes around but he don’t know why he always swallow it back like he can’t throw it out.

Today he is here again but differently he is waiting for him to open the door of the library. He feels weird as he always comes around ten in the morning just later to find out he is the one who late when the watch he wear actually stopped working and contrary to his phone which show it already ten thirty in the morning.

“Sorry. Apparently my watch die before I know I’m already late” he says and the others just smiled without much saying. And when the door is opens, he follow him from behind before go to the rack he want to.

He paid no mind to his walk and head to open a few windows and slide the curtain to allow the air in. And at the same time he walked to switch on the fan and a few selected lights to cover the place that unreachable by the sunlight. When that task finished he will looks around and then headed to his usual seat to write or read some book. Usually before when he first taken the library, he learn that there a lot of work to do like repair some broken books or air them so they will be okay. But since the former worker who works with the grandpa want to stay working, they are the one who mainly do that job. There a few times he will lend his hand when the staff sick or on leave because of other work.

The clock strike twelve without him noticing the time but he know it as it is the time when people come by the library for books or study. The sound of people talking with each other and also the sound of footstep approaching and he smiled. Maybe this is the only sound he can bear to hear. The sound of people approaching to read in his library.

He greets some of them who a frequent and the one that always talk to him. In this condition, smile just comes to his face as he glad there are a lot of people still prefer the hard book over a simple phone for reading. And then he continues to work his piece again.

The sight of a book shocked him a little when he engrossed in writing and looked up to find him there. He glances toward the old grandpa watch and see it is still early. Still early for him as it is one in the afternoon and he is already checking a book out. The thought that comes to his mind is he got something to do because in usual time he will go back around five in the afternoon. 

“Borrow?” he asked him and he nods at that. He takes the book and opens the last page of it to write “How many days?” question before he writes it.

“Just one. I’m halfway reading but I need to go” he answered and he nodded. His library card already on his hand and he just write the whole info he need before giving the book back. “Here” he says and he takes the book with a nods and slight smile.

He watched as he moves and walked toward the main door before he gone from his eyes. Not like he need to but because he doesn’t makes any sound makes him want to confirm he is gone rather than wonder when he hears nothing at all.

“You’re interested in him aren’t you” he heard loud and clear as the sound come right next to his right ear. But he knows the guy who says it a few meters away from him. He looked toward the way and bears a questioning looks.

“I can see you’re looking at him whenever he comes here” the guy added and he just gives a slight smile to him.

“I don’t know what to say, he just different. From you and others” he says and the guy getting closer and he stand in front of him. “Somehow I got a sense that you can’t detect him like you can on us. You always know I’m just right behind you when I sneaked like a professional ninja. And him. Nada. Like not at all. Just now you don’t see him coming before he show the book right in front of your face”

“I can’t deny that. He traceless, soundless like there nothing of him I can hear from. When he walking, eating or I even wonder does he breathing? Some people have a loud sound of breathing”

“Some people. Can you hear the sound of me breathing?”

“Yeah. Since you just finish carry a huge box full of books, your breathing is quite disheveled” he says stating the fact right to know what he done before even thought he didn’t see it.

“Urgh. I hate you” he says just for fun and there no deeper mean in the talk. “Your super hearing sometimes makes me think you’re a vampire. But I cross that idea when you can’t even smell the blood when I got a paper cut”

He laugh and it bring a nice ring before he stopped thinking it is a library he in and clear his throat. “I’m born with a great hearing and nothing other supernatural power at all. I can’t even smell blood like vampire or got strength like werewolf and etc etc etc that I don’t know much since fantasy is not my area”

“Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. To cut thing short, you should makes a move on him. He hot and you probably know that there a lot of customer here who comes because they interested in him. Before he is taken by someone else, you should. To add, where you can find someone like him who definitely won’t annoy you when walking or eating?”

“There a truth there but I don’t even know much about him except his name and birthday plus age as all of that written on his library card. The most things that I need to know is not known”

“Like if he gay or not or into you or not?” asked him and he nodded at that. “You shouldn’t actually care about it and just go ahead asking. Who would admit all that themselves right?”

“I know. Not everyone that open to say that without asking” he says before takes a sighs and then continue “Like will he suddenly show me a book and say ‘I want to borrow this and plus I’m gay’? That definitely no way”

“He might come to you and say ‘I want to borrow this book and plus I like you’ without even mentioning the gay part tho”

“I don’t know why I can’t win an argument with you ever” he kind of surrenders of the talk them having that all of him put him into some kind of zone with his back right on the wall.

“Because I’m taken politic when I’m in university but I don’t think I want to continue as a politician and now I’m again back in university taken law instead”

He clap his hand dryly with “Wow” comes out of his mouth before he says “I never know that at all. My observation skill is not par with my hearing skill. If you say I know if you indirectly show, I don’t”

“Urgh. Such sarcastic” he says before leave to continue doing his job.

When the guy leave he get back to his work listening to the step of him leaving before he heard the sound of books being put lined on the rack. It is a new arrival books that he ordered a few weeks ago that just arrive today. He interested to read it but for now he will leave it alone for others to pick it first like always he got all the time he need when the book back to the rack.

It is ten in the night when he finally want to close the front door when he heard someone shouting “Wait!” with a certain figure come close to him. And when he is near he sees who he is in the dark of the night with moonlight shining the whole earth.

“Sorry I held you. I already finish this. Can I borrow another book?” h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter