Ice Cold, Please

Adding up Love (Can you make the grade?)

After getting over my initial shock at having BTS as neighbors (like, WTF universe please explain, sincerely, Shin-Ae), I gradually got used to their presence. Although estatic, Mi-soo knew not to breathe a word of this to anyone or we would never get a moment's rest from ARMY. My eomma began trading food recommendations with Seokjin-oppa and helping fix things Namjoon-oppa had broken, and it became like having particularly loud and friendly neighbors. I nearly forgot they were world-famous, if not for the security guards I learned to spot outside the complex (I wondered if the security guards had also rented places in the complex...like did they get to sleep? How did they go to the washroom? Or get food? It was definitely something to ponder).  

And so the first weeks of term flew by. Contrary to my initial reservations, Jimin-oppa and Taehyung-oppa continued sticking with Yoojung, Hyunmin and I, and we bonded well, our twisted sense of humor and shared love of stupid hijinks (like turning all the chairs and desks around in homeroom, or replacing all the white chalk with bright pink) keeping us together. The two also occasionally dragged Jeongguk in, although the boy was never much fun, preferring to stay in his own corner on his phone. Jimin-oppa and Taehyung-oppa said he was just shy (which Yoojung confirmed in private and Mi-soo promised according to All the interviews she had read- I didn't have the heart to shatter my little sister's conceptions anyway) but I wasn't so sure. 

Jeongguk and I continued walking home together every day, but we never struck up a conversation. I kept my eyes on our feet, not wanting to draw him into any sort of dialogue. I was quite fine with our ice-cold politeness when forced together by our friends, and ignoring each other at all other times. He had his Airpods in everyday anyway, and broodingly stared moodily at the passing scenery. I'm sure the rows and rows of suburbian townhouse and apartment complexes were fascinating for him to glare at. 

Then, one day, my watch strap broke. I ran into the road to pick up the fallen watch, then shoved it into the pocket. I noticed Jeongguk looking at my wrists and asked, "Whatchu looking at?" 

"Nothing." He responded quickly, glaring slightly.

Okay... I thought.

We walked a few more blocks in stony silence. Then Jeongguk stopped and pulled out his airpods, stuffing them into his pocket. I looked at him confusedly.

"Ran out of battery," He said, somewhat guiltily. I stifled a laugh, he almost sounded ordinary for a second. 

"So.." Jeongguk started, sounding almost hesitant, "what was that on your wrist earlier?"

"You mean my tattoos?" I asked, surprised. I normally wore a watch or wristbands to cover them, since they were technically against the dresscode, although not listed directly in the rulebook. 

"Yeah." 

I pulled my hands out of my pockets to show him. An infinity symbol on the underside of my left wrist, and a 0 on the other; two mathematical symbols. I had gotten them with Yoojung and Hyunmin to celebrate the new year. We all had our own unique symbols in the same spots, as reminders that although different, we would stick together. Although simple, the design still made me smile.

"Math has always been my favourite subject, and the infinity and zero symbolize how similar both nothing and everything can be. I got them with my friends, Yoojung and Hyunmin," I said, smiling at the memory. 

"They're actually pretty cool," he said. Was this...a compliment? From Mr.Jerk? He added hurriedly, "You know, for someone as strait-laced as you."

I narrowed my eyes, but decided to let the insult slide. I was in a pretty good mood today, having received a decent grade on my history essay and not having had any classes with Jinsoo. 

"What about you, any tattoos?" I asked jokingly, doubting his agency would let him get any. Weren't K-pop idols supposed to be pristine and clean? 

"Yeah, on my ankle, hold on," he replied, surprising me. He bent down to roll up the ankle of his left pant leg to reveal a series of intricately drawn and colored symbols. I could tell they had been done with a lot of care. A sharp, flat and natural, two clefs and staffs, all wound together to make a miniature mosaic. Artwork curled around his ankle. 

The sight was beautiful, and surprisingly real. 

"So, cookie-cutter idols have tattoos too." I mused aloud.

For once the boy actually blushed (was this...signs of Mr. Idol-Jerk being...human?) as he looked down at the symbols. 

"Yeah, an old friend of mine did them, right at the start of my career. It was her way of saying she believed in me, that music was something actually meant for me. I've been meaning to catch up with her for a while, but with the fans and all, you know how it is," he said sheepishly, as if I had forgotten he was a world-famous k-pop idol, "Even this school thing is so publicized, it feels like we never catch a proper break from all the crazy stalkers."

I attempted to nod sympathetically, but I was honestly more surprised he was talking so much. And, was that an honest-to-god smile I caught from him? 

"That's why our CEO wanted us to live in a smaller place. More off the radar while making us seem more relatable to the fans. But well, it's at least offered us some privacy. Namjoon-hyung and Yoongi-hyung have finally managed to find time to produce some music, I know they've really been missing that."

He stopped, as if startled he had said so much. I hummed, knowing that he might appreciate the silence. We spent the rest of the walk listening to the occasional cars passing by. At our neighbouring doors, we parted ways as we always did, but this time without glaring at or ignoring one another. 

And for the first time, I thought: maybe he's not that bad. 

---

A hand slammed down on my desk. Five fingers marked with fake, turquoise nails emblazoned with little ARMY insignias (because never mind the dresscode when daddy can pay away any consequences!) signalled that Jin-soo had arrived. And deigned to grace me with her *lovely* presence. Eye-roll.

"I've heard all the rumors. You were talkign with Jeongkuk yesterday, weren't you?! You !!!" The girl shrieked hysterically. 

The rumor mill at school sure did churn fast. I had thought the security detail on BTS kept most fans from followign them, but clearly I was wrong. 

Oh, where oh where were Yoojung and Hyunmin? In my head, I silently cursed my two friends' inability to wake up on time. I had lost track of the amount of times either one would stumble in to the classroom just as the bell rang. It didn't help that the two of them took the bus to school, unlike Miss I-get-chauffered who was currently screaming in my face. At least she hadn't found out about my living situation, I thought to myself.

"It's called a conversation, you might want to try it sometime." I responded casually, hoping to get her to shut up. Wrong choice.

"And why would Jeongguk ever want to talk to You?!" She sneered, "You're a low-class who can't even tell eyeliner from eyeshadow."

"Maybe because unlike you, I have more than two functioning brain cells to rub together?" I asked sarcastically, starting to lose my patience. So what if I didn't cake my face with makeup everyday? Ain't nobody got time for that when you can sleep in instead. 

"Ugh, just stay away from him, and the rest of BTS. You're such a stuck-up annoying bint, it's no wonder that no one likes you." 

I was reaching my limit. One more sentence from this girl and the ice-cold facade I had would break. Before, that might have meant breaking down and crying- now, it meant I would probably break her nose. 

"Shut up, Jinsoo." 

"You think they're actually friends with you? Please, everyone knows what a you ar-- Jeongguk oppa!" 

Lo-and-behold, Mister Idol himself. Dressed in his trademark black hoodie TM over the uniform, and one Airpod in his ear. Except, his entire RBF aura was directed towards Jinsoo and I wish I could learn to glare like that. She backed away like the plague was converging on her. 

"Come with me." He said and looks like Jerk-guk was back. I had thought after our semi-decent conversation he might behave better, but it turns out I was wrong. So I glared back at him. First Jinsoo, now him. When would I get my pre-homeroom nap?

"No." 

"Suit yourself" Then he smirked (!) and leaned down, grabbing my wrist. Yanking me up, he turned towards the door and wow, I needed to figure out what he was doing to be able to lift that easy. Boy did not miss arm day, that was for sure. 

He tugged at my wrist and led me out of the classroom, down the hallway. And the rumours and whispers only followed. 

---

A/N: yes this story is still alive and author-nim is eternally apologetic but also bogged down by real life. hope the tension~ was delivered in this chapter. next time we'll see more interaction between our lovely shin-ae and jeongguk. until then~~ 

preview:

"So, what did you get on the last quiz?"

"..."

"We have a lot of work to do."