Chapter 2

Love Me

Anotheeeerr-


Mei wanted to ignore the fact that her tongue was numbing and practically speaking in slurs as she attempts to reach for the nearly empty soju bottle.

“Oho. Maybe you should slow down with those shots, Mei-dear.” It’s Bora, Mei’s closest and most reliable friend, who decides enough is enough and slides the bottle away from Mei’s reach. Mei’s bottom lip puckers out into a pout as she stares pleadingly at her friend, to which Bora meets with a firm glare in return. “We just got here 40 minutes ago and you’re already finished with two bottles. Take it down a notch.”

Mei slumps back into her seat in defeat, knowing that her friend of 9 years had a point and there was use in arguing. Especially when Mei knew she would lose.

She had called Bora and asked to reunite at their usual hangout; an underground restaurant bar that always greeted them with enthusiasm whenever they visited. It was just a shame that the time Mei wanted to wind down her stress, her friend refused to let her go too far.

Bora’s eyes soften  as she studies her friend’s expression. “If I knew meeting him again was going to have such a negative effect on you, I would’ve gone in your place instead.” Bora wasn’t one for decorating, but being with Mei for so long, she happened to pick up some tricks.

“Sooyoung just never mention who it was associated with.” Mei shrugs in a nonchalant manner and stares blankly at the bottle. “It didn’t have a negative affect on me.” As Mei analyzed the bottle, wondered if she could find a way to grab it without Bora noticing.

Bora clicks her tongue and raises an eyebrow in disbelief. “Then how come you’re here on the verge of passing out drunk?”

“I just had a headache and was getting tired. It was supposed to be my day off you know.” Mei mumbles this under her breath, still clearly upset that she had to spend the day working.

“Oh yeah. You did mention that... “ Bora tucks her short dark hair behind her ear and takes a sip from her glass. “Was it really ok for you to leave so suddenly like that though?” Mei looks up at the question and notices Bora motioning her head towards the phone laying untouched on the table. It was Mei’s phone. Screen Lighting up for the nth time already, flooded with a bunch of unopened texts and calls.
__________________________

“Remember that the ceiling streamers shouldn’t be hanging so low. Last thing we need is for the guest attempting to pull them down.”
Mei instructs this to the head staff member and hands him her clipboard. “OH! And make sure there’s someone present at chocolate fountain at all times. Don’t want a child getting covered in that stuff.”

“Mei... Do you really have to go?” Sooyoung approaches her sister with a slight frown, and Mei smiles apologetically as she turns to face her.

“You guys are all set. You shouldn’t need my assistance anymore.” After all, they had all been working for 15 hours straight; everything, for the most part, was done.

“I expect seeing you at the announcing dinner tomorrow, then?” Mei nearly jumps in surprise as she hears another voice joining them. It seems Taehyung had overheard their conversation and decided to approach as well.
As Mei turns to face him, she mentally curses when her body bumps into his.
Must he stand so close?

Mei takes a few steps back and pulls out the most polite smile she can manage without looking tense. “I appreciate the invitation Mr. Taehyung but I’ll have to refuse.”

“You can’t come?” It’s now Sooyoung’s voice who asks, disappointment evident in her tone.

“Maybe you could reconsider-“ Taehyung chimes in, but Mei was firm on her decision.

“My schedule is busy as it is Mr. Kim. Let alone that today was my only day off in weeks. Unfortunately, I can’t manage to pull off another day.” Mei’s tone had unconsciously turned bitter cold. She didn’t intend to sound so harsh, yet she couldn’t help it. Mei forces out a laugh on her face as she looks at the two people in front of her. “I’m heading off early because my back’s killing me. I could really use the sleep.”

“Ah. I understand Mei. We’ll take it from here. Thank you. “Sooyoung smiles at her sister, unaware of the obvious tension. “Get some rest. You deserve it.” Mei sighs feeling somewhat relieved at her sister understanding.


Honestly, Mei just had an urge to get out of there. The sooner she could leave the venue, the better.

_______________________________

 Mei squints at her phone as it continues to vibrate. However, she makes no attempt in grabbing it and only slumps deeper in her seat, a low groan escaping her lips.

Why did everyone have to bother her on this day? 

“You’re not going to answer it? What if it’s Sooyoung again?” Bora says this and takes another sip.

”I doubt iitttt. It’s probably another client.” Mei manages to grab the bottle from Bora’s hand and refills her glass, grinning in at her accomplishment.

Even if she had done the whole work herself, Mei honestly still felt sorry she left Sooyoung and the staff so soon. Curse Mei and her good nature.... She guessed she felt apologetic for lying and claiming she tired when she wasn’t really. 

Mei takes down her glass in one gulp Then slams it down with a small thud. “Anyways, if you where there Bora, you would’ve gotten tired of seeing those googly eyes real fast.” 

“Hmm?” Bora’s ears perk up at the sudden change of topic. “Googly eyes?”

“Yeah. That guy-“ Mei pauses, taking a moment to hiccup before carrying on. “That guy- Kim Taehyung.... His eyes literally turned into hearts every time he looked at her.”

Bora giggles, knowing exactly who Mei was referring. “Come on Mei, give the guy a break. He’s had a crush on her for years. Of course he’s still head over heels for her.”

“ He’s done so much for her yet He’s gotten absolutely no where.” Mei shakes her head in disapproval, revealing how Sooyoung still viewed him as a friend. “Dumb idiot....”

The last comment earns a snicker, the  sound coming from the table beside them.

Mei looks towards the sound, finding a guy around her age gazing intently at the glass in his hand, almost if lost in thought. She has to blink a few times for eyes to focus on his figure who sitting a few feet away .

Honestly, he was quite striking. Judging from his side profile, he had very sharp features that made him stand out. He wore a slick leather jacket and some loose fitted sweat pants; all black. Literally the only thing that wasn’t black was his white shirt underneath.

He must’ve felt Mei’s gaze on him because in response, he looks right back at her. His dark desselved bangs were an inch or two above his eyes but didn’t prevent their ability to give an almost intimating glint.

Mei’s breath hitches, she literally feels shivers run down her spine as he sends a smirk her way... Had he manage to hear their whole conversation?

He takes the last sip of his drink then stands up, making sure to leave a decent tip on his table, before walking what seemed to be their direction.Mei’s eyes observe him carefully, questioning why he would head their way.

However, she’s surprised that he makes a curve just as he’s about to approach their table. She watches in awe as he heads toward the exit without a glance back.

”Mei?? Hello??” Bora waves her hand in front of her friend’s face, snapping her out from her trance. 

“I think I know him.” Mei stutters and blinks repeatedly in attempt to regain focus.

”Who? Know who??” Bora’s face turns into of concern as she watches Mei wordlessly stand up.”Uhm. Excuse you? Where do you think you’re going??”

“I have to go. Let’s meet up again soon, ok?” Mei hurriedly places her phone in her back pocket, catching a glance of her friend’s disapproving glare. “I’ll be fine don’t worry.” She tries to reassures Bora before she rushes out.

Mei didn’t give enough time for Bora to respond but she managed to hear her warning before exiting the building . It went something along the lines of ‘Yoonrae Mei.... I swear... you better not go do something stupid or rash!’

 ******************

Fall’s bitter winds were quick to hit Mei’s body as soon as she walked out of the venue. 

Crap. CRAP. Craaapp. What was I thinking?“Mei mentally scolded herself because what she did was indeed really stupid.

Who the hell follows a complete stranger outside?? Maybe the alcohol had done a toll on her.... No no, She just must be losing her mind.

However, she couldn’t help feel like she had actually met this stranger before. Then again, the alcohol could be playing tricks on her.

 She brings her hands up to and blows into them, hoping her warm breath would keep them from freezing. Her eyes flicker from side to side, cautiously watching her surroundings in case some one did try to set her up.

I knew you’d follow.

Mei's breath catches in , Body completly frozen by the sound of his voice.

Just what had she gotten herself into?

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 **HELLOO MY WONDERFUL PEOPLE!

I’m back! And have brought you another chapter hehe. I know this might’ve not been so interesting but I promise the good chapters are about to come.

I really appreciate the love my story has gotten so far. You guys are the best, thanks so much for subscribing. I will work even harder now just for you. 

-Melody**