Chapter 3

Forget Me Not



“Is there something on my face?” Tao’s eyes crinkled yet still had the smile on him.  “You’re looking at me like you’ve seen a ghost; I know I’m not my normal beautiful self but geesh, give a guy a break.”



“Tao, that’s not it.  I’m just…Baekhyun?”



“Sehun are you okay? You know about Byunnie and I, you were the one that hooked us up.”



That’s not how it happened. Sehun’s thought.  Baek was the one that encouraged us together and Byunnie?!



“How long have you and Baekhyun been together?”  Sehun cleared his throat as he played with the hem of his shirt.  He couldn’t look at Tao in this moment.



“You know it’s been 3 years!”  Tao rolled his eyes at his friend.  “He should be here soon but damn Sehun, you would think you were the one in an accident.  I text him and told his skinny to get here and come see me.”



“You text him?”



“Of course. “  Tao cocked his head to the side as much as he could with the neck brace on.  “Are you okay?”  He repeated.  “Does the doctor need to see you as well?”



“I’ll be back.”  Sehun rushed out of the room and ran straight into Tao’s mother and father along with a wide eyed Baekhyun.  “Why does he think he’s with you?  Is this some sort of joke?”  He tried to keep the accusation out his voice but this had to have been a cruel prank between the two of them.



“I didn’t tell him that! Come on Hun!  I would never do that to you! Tao’s father just explained it to me and...”



“Son.  It’s not Baekhyun fault.”  Tao’s father interrupted, placing his hand on Sehun’s shoulder and it took everything in Sehun’s power to remain respectful towards his elder.  “The trauma to his head has given him Lacunar amnesia, for some reason it’s only you he’s construing the details.”



“Only YOU he’s construing the details.”  The words weren’t accusatory but they were in his mind.  Tao forgot about me and what we had.



“Sehun!”



Sehun was normally good at hiding his emotions but the words “only you” wouldn’t stop playing in his head.  His eyes met Tao’s mother and father but he couldn’t even look at Baekhyun in the eyes.



“I should leave.”  He mumbled out.  Only you.  I made him travel all the time for me, I rarely visit him, and I’m selfish.  He would be better with Baekhyun, he’s always smiling, his guard is down, and Baekhyun heart is always open.



“The doctors said we can try and trigger his memory slowly, the memories of you.” Tao’s mother spoke up.



“Right because Tao only forgot the past 3 years we spent together.”  He hated the way he sounded, his emotions running a mile a minute but he never allowed them to show.  He kept his stone faced expression but on the inside he was crumbling.  How could Tao replace him in his heart and with his best friend?



“You have to be patient.” Tao’s father smiled sadly.  “My wife and I know how much you’ve made our Tao happy.”



“So I have to pretend to be with Tao?” Baekhyun asked looking at Tao’s parents.  “Chanyeol is going to get a kick out of this.”



“You two are finally together?”  Mrs. Huang smiled pinching at Baekhyun’ s cheeks.



“No.”  Baekhyun grumbled not understanding why Chanyeol was ignoring his advances.



“It’ll work.  This will all work out.” Mr. Huang smiled.  “How about you two go in first?”



“I mean—Sehun, are you okay with all of this?”



“Of course.”  Sehun lied, walking away and towards Tao’s room.



Baekhyun watched him and turned back to his parents.  “What if Tao doesn’t ever remember?”



“You can’t have those types of thoughts but we’ll cross that bridge if we ever need to.  I just want my babies happy.  I know we don’t get to see everyone often because of that damn company but all of you boys are still a part of our family.” Mrs. Huang smiled again touching his cheek and sighing.  “Please make sure Sehun is okay; he thinks he can hide his emotions but he’s hurting too.”



“I will.” Baekhyun nodded and hugging both of his parents before walking into the room.



“Baekie!” Tao yelled scaring the nurse that was checking on him.



“Calm down.” The small nurse hushed him while checking his vitals.



“Sorry.” Tao at least had the respect to look sheepish.  “It’s just for the past two weeks I’ve been dreaming of my boyfriend.”  Tao stared at Sehun.  “You were there but it’s so vague.  It’s like the light at the end of this tunnel and I can’t reach it.”



The nurse looked at him curiously.  “Have you spoken with the doctor about this?”



“Not yet.  It just hit me when I saw Sehun and Baek together.  Can you do it for me and give us some privacy please?”



“A few minutes, if you need anything let me know.”



Tao smiled at her as she walked out the room.  “So can I get a hug or kiss or something Baek?  Don’t act like we haven’t in front of Sehun before.  He’s seen a lot of worst or do I need to remind you?”



“A lot worse?”  Baekhyun questioned.



Tao nodded as much as he could with the brace around his neck.  “That time in the car and we were locked out of the dorms.  Don’t you remember?”



Sehun face fell because that did happen but it was Baekhyun that caught them in the car.  It was as if he switched their roles in his mind and he understood the trauma to his brain but why replace him with Baekhyun?



“Oh that!”



“So where’s my kiss?”  Baekhyun gave Sehun an apologetic smile before bending down and kissing Tao’s forehead. “That’s it?” Tao pouted.  “A small one right here?”  Tao touched his lips that were a bit chapped and Baekhyun felt his heart constrict for Sehun.  He avoided looking at him before placing his lips against Tao’s.



“Hmm…” Tao touched his lips gently as Baekhyun pulled back. “Once I’m better we’ll have to do that again.  I think all of the meds changed it.”



“It felt different?”



“I’m sorry Baek.” Tao bit his lip looking down and finally gave Sehun a glance.  “I think something’s wrong with Sehun, his eyebrows are all frowned up.  He’s been weird since he got here.”



Sehun felt his heart lurch watching the kiss but the confused look on Tao’s face once Baekhyun pulled away gave him hope.  “Do you remember why you came to Korea?”



“To visit Baekhyun as usual!”  Tao signature eye roll came as he grabbed Baek hand and was rubbing his fingers around his palm.  “He’s lucky I understand his schedule of being the big EXO pop star and why he rarely sees me.”  Tao squeezed Baek hands in his and stared at him with the look that Sehun normally received; that was his look he is bestowing on Baekhyun.



“What about me?  Do you remember what our relationship is?”  Sehun had to know even though the answer was going to break him.



“You’re my best friend Sehunnie.  I don’t know what I would’ve done without you helping me learn Korean and…” Tao drifted off as he cringed in pain.



“Are you okay?” Sehun walked towards the bed grabbing Tao’s left hand that wasn’t holding Baek.



“I…” Tao looked at his and Sehun hand and frowned before pulling it away slowly.  “I think it’s too much excitement.  I did just wake up after two weeks and I am already ready to go back to sleep.”  He laughed nervously avoiding Sehun face and staring at Baekhyun.



“Would you mind leaving?  I think the medicine is making me tired.”  Tao addressed the room but his eyes were specifically looking at Sehun.



“We can leave Tao.”  Baekhyun caught the movement of Tao releasing Sehun hand and the quick look of dejection on Sehun face.



“No, not you!”  Tao turned as much as he could to face Baekhyun. “Sorry Sehunnie.  Baek could you just sit with me until I fall asleep?”



“Why not me?  I’m your best friend right?” Sehun blurted out.



“Because I need my boyfriend right now.  I know you understand or maybe once you and Chanyeol finally stop footing around you will get it.”



“Chanyeol.”  Baekhyun whispered.  Tao really did switch him and Sehun around at least when it came to their personal life.  He was going to have to explain this to all of the guys before they came to visit.  Tao’s parents said that they should slowly remind Tao about his relationship with Sehun and Baekhyun had a plan on how to do it.



Sehun sighed out loud.  “I’m glad you’re awake Taozi.   Get better.   I’m sure I’ll be back again.”  Sehun turned and walked out the room ignoring Tao squeezing Baekhyun hand and giving him another smile that was only reserved for him.



“Tao.  What was that with Sehun?”



“Something about him scared me…” Tao whispered to the room.  “Don’t tell him that please.  It’s probably nothing once I’m 100% recovered I will be fine.  Pull that chair up and just please, don’t leave me.”



Baekhyun gasped at his word ignoring the request of the chair.  “Scared you how?”



“I can’t explain it.  It’s like I got a rush of that tunnel and light when he grabbed my hand but the end of the tunnel… it just scared me.”



Baekhyun made note to tell his parents about it so they can speak to the doctor. “I’ll stay till you go to sleep.”   He gently pulled his hand away sitting down in the chair.



“Baek?  Why did you let Sehun call me Taozi?  That’s your nickname for me.”  Tao got out before his eyes closed and he drifted out.



A/N: Thanks for reading and if anyone wants to beta let me know!  I’m horrific at grammar.