2nd Lover

The Silent Lover

Elementary School was one of the worst years of my life. I just moved to Seoul and I had a funny accent people says. I was not really active nor talkative in elementary school. I never really had friends, but if I had some people who were there for me here and there. People did not really like me in elementary school. They say I stink, I am ugly or I am fat. So, practically I was bullied in my elementary school. I always tried to pretend I was sick, so my parents do not take me to school. I attended the school with my older sister, little sister and little brother. Though, we were always together. People still did not have respect for me at school. Neither did they have some for unnie. There was nothing keeping me to still stay at that school. Nothing until I went to 2nd grade and a boy so handsome came into my life.

*2008, Jieun Elementary School*

I was shivering in the corner of the classroom like there was a snow storm in the building. My teacher, Mrs. Lee was walking around the classroom, looking for the next victim to read the next sentence. I never really liked reading to tell you the truth. I never actually even liked my class. Since I moved from Busan to here in Seoul, my accent is different from the Seoul kids, So, every time I read I stutter, I mumble, or I just do not know the word. These Seoul kids pronounce things differently than me and because I used to live in Busan the accent with my pronunciation is just terrible. Mrs. Lee turned around and pointed at me and said.

"Our little Jieun, read for us." I could already hear the little giggles running around the room. All I could do is just point out who were the ones that were laughing and who were the ones that were just holding it in. 1,2,3,6? There was a lot of them. They just like bothering me. I gulped and rubbed my hands together. It was like it is getting colder in the room and it was because all my classmates eyes were on me. Mrs. Lee patted me on my back and smiled. "Go on." She added. 

I never really liked Mrs.Lee. It is like she sees me literally get bullied in this class and she does nothing. In the beginning I thought she was clueless, but then again what teacher could be this clueless in their own classroom for over 4 months. Everytime the kids comes to me and point at me, she just sits on her red spinny chair and read her book. I just wonder why she does not try to help me. And now she telling me to read, knowing the fact that I do not really know how to pronounce the Seoul way of things. It is like she does not just like me.

I gulped once more and my dried up lips. "Um.....Mr. Woo la-la-laughs a-at t-the fa-ct that Woohyun w-w-was smi-smil-ling in th the pic-ture." I read. It was so embarrassing. The fact that she called on me out of the blue made me stutter more. At first, I could hear silence in the classroom , then boom. The whole classroom burst out laughing saying.

"She is so dumb."

"How are we in the same class."

"Go back to Busan."

They did not want me here. It was like I invaded their homeland on purpose. I do not understand. I wanted to cry, but I could not. I did not want to show that I was weak that everything they say to me hurts me. So I laughed with them. I acted that they was laughing with me instead of at me.

"You know I have delexia." I said, still laughing with the rest of them. I am just a big fool to tell you the truth. I have been in this school for 3 years and this school still treats me like I am not a person. I sighed and stopped laughing.

The bell rang and I rushed out the classroom out of embarrassment.

"Make sure you guys get home safetly." Mrs. Lee shouted. I bet she did not care if I get home or not. Well, I rushed to my locker, hoping to see my crush. Taeyang. You see Taeyang is one of the popular guys and everyone likes him. But he is different. He does not ignore me like I have some type of disease nor do he make fun of me. He just treats me like I am a person. Ever since I came here, Taeyang always made me feel better when the class made a fun of me or when I am having problems. He always made me smile and when I am already smiling, he makes me laugh. He always know the right thing to say.

I combed my hair back with my fingers and tied it up. There he is. Taeyang. If it weren't for him, then I'll probably disappear from the world without people hearing my voice. I smiled as he got closer.

"Okay, how do I look Gook Ju?" I asked.

GookJu was the only friend I had that was in the same grade as I. The rest of my friends were younger than me and some were really young. She was always there by my side. Maybe because our classmates isolated her, but she was also helpful.

"Yeah.....just be normal." Gook Ju said. I did not really know how to act normal around the guy I like. Because I will usually just smile and not say a single word. It is really hard living the type of life I am living right now.

"Aye, Jieun. You are looking pretty today." Tae yang complimented, winking his dark brown eyes at me. Wow, a man. I chuckled.

*Back to the present*

I was in the kitchen, making sure Jiyong does not come to the kitchen and start with his bull. I washed the rice and add it to the water that was in the rice cooker. I added a little oil so the rice cold not stick to the pan. There you have the comedian Jiyong walk in the kitchen with his face pouting.

"Son, please." Jiyong begged. He grabbed my arm and tightened the grip onto it. He  moved in closer to me and made his eyes look like a abused dog. Bruh. I shook my head and ignored him, pulling my arm away from him and went to the sink to wash my hands. It was the only thing I could do to keep my arm and hand to myself. "Son.....Son.....Son" He repeated

"What!" I yelled. I am so fed up by his ways. It is not because I dislike him, but because I can not say no to him. That is the thing. It is because I like this boy and can not help it. I sighed and smiled at him.

"So...yes?" He added due to my smile. He hugged me tight and begged.

"So...no." I bluntly said. As soon as he heard the no, he let go of me and walked away. It is one thing that you want me to go wherever you want me to go, but killing myself in the process. It is a different thing.

I went to my room and laid down on my bed once again. I am so tired. I heard a knock on my door and sat up.

"What!" I yelled. Jiyong opened the door and smiled. Well, it was not a smile. It was a grin. I wonder what he wants now. I stared at him and watched him move closer to me laid on my be again. Stealing the pillow that I was using. 

"Son, I think I am in love." Jiyong stated.