Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club

Haywire

NOTE: 

Hey guys... I'm back,well kinda. I don't know. I've tried. I am still trying tho. So here:

I was trying to write, a long and with character building (I hope), story. I planned it as my 'come back' story after I almost abandoned this account. It was, well it is still incomplete, I was drafting those story and only a bit of chapter ready, so I'm not ready to post anything. And then

WTF MAN, THE OCTOBER 9 HAPPENED

then I thought, bloody hell, at least I need to put them (nine of them of course) in one place, at least once. And actually I could do that, in fics. So here it is. The spawn of my almost 24 hours imagining, plotting, and writing (I'm in rush, so forgive me). Hope you like it.

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The wedding is gorgeous.

Jessica has no doubt with Tiffany's taste. It's amazing. It's impeccable.

 

She might enjoy this entire evening with all her heart. The floral arrangement at the center of her table, a riotous bouquet of lavender, surrounded by elegantly arrange almost white baby's breath −it’s almost too pretty, and if she hadn’t seen, firsthand, the overly thick notebook that Tiffany had carried around for ten months, with pamphlets and business cards and grainy sample photographs slipped on almost every page of it, and her rumbling blabbered on and on about the planning every time they had their weekly brunch−Jessica would not believe Tiffany didn't use a professional to plan the whole reception. Honestly she still cannot believe how Tiffany could plan this while working in a law firm in the city.

 

Jessica might enjoy this entire evening. If not that she stuck between a distance aunt of Tiffany−who instantly reminded her of every tight-lipped teacher that she had irreverently sent crying out of the classrooms in her ridiculously expensive prep school−and a white blonde with pink tip haired cousin of the groom−she's not kidding, it's pink, she checked it twice. And apparently, the tight-lipped aunt cannot comprehend her reason for coming dateless to a wedding. And the pink haired guy, who actually named Kim Hyoyeon−he's a cousin of Kim Taeyeon, of course they named him that; Jessica mentally slow clapped for the originality of the family.

Jessica might enjoy the reception if she doesn't stuck in this weirdly arranged table. And she still blames her boss for it.

As the best, longest, and dearest friend of the bride, she, Jessica Jung, had supposed to be the maid-of-honour. And she was. Until a week ago.

She, as the maid-of-honour at that time, has help the then soon-to-be-bride to plan and pick and arranged the hen party and everything to be a good maid-of-honour as well as keeping her job as fashion columnist at a magazine in the city. The plan was for them to went back to Tiffany and Jessica's hometown four days before the wedding−yes, the wedding would be held in their hometown as the bride request−but her boss was being utterly arsehole and make her to redo the article just a day before her suppose to be went back to town.

If her boss−The Almighty Kwon Boa−was actually busy and buried and drown by her work until she cannot even take a look at draft for their latest issue which as thick as the September Issue, Jessica would be a darling and understanding employee to her boss. But Her Majesty, Kwon Boa, seemed had a time to yell at her newly appointed assistant about her skinny, soy caramel macchiato with a double shot of espresso that seemingly only had a shot of espresso. Her voice was heard in the entire floor as all of them knew about her worry about how a single shot of coffee won't make her work properly that day and how everyone could blame the poor assistant for her y mood.

And for that Jessica knew, the draft was sitting on her delicately arranged glass-made office table, ready for her for like almost a week before.

For being a total diabolical Miranda Priestly incarnate, Jessica really wanted to smash her almost three-inch thick notebook−completed with a metal rings on the spine−straight to her boss's perfectly-smooth-porcelain-like-SK-II-Ad face for being such a .

After said a hundred or so sorry via Skype to Tiffany, and gave up her maid-of-honour status to their other bestfriend, Sunny, the bride herself said it was okay and she kindly understand her position. Tiffany even said, she quotes "Don't worry, Jess. I'll find an amazing dress for you" when Jessica said she didn't prepare a dress beside her maid-of-honour dress. Then she winked. She ing winked at her. Jessica didn't know if it was because her super-tired-almost-tweleve-hours-work-that-day kind of tired or her sorry-my-boss-wreak-our-ing-plan arse at that moment, but she dismissed it. How can she in her right mind overlook a freaking wink from Tiffany? Because one thing she knew for sure after over a decade befriended with one Tiffany Hwang, is her wink means a hidden plan. A ridiculous, ominous, life-wreaking plan.

And that's how she ended up in this damned seat instead of the one with the bride. Plus this dress. This long, form-fitting satin sheath, side-slit cut right to her thigh, with fabric stretches and shimmers across the gentle slope of her hips and the slide of the skinny silk straps against the sensitive skin of her bare shoulders. This blasted bright white and backless, the sort of dress one might wear when one is single and sorry and bitter; the sort of dress designed to stand out and seek for some sort of debauchery.

That sort of dress that her dear friend, Tiffany and Sunny, apparently chose for her because for them now she isn't the woman in a long-term, committed, seemingly monogamous relationship with a respectable young man like she used to a month ago. Although she insisted and clearly stated that she is not sorry or bitter−and still believe in a long-term, committed, seemingly monogamous relationship with a respectable young man−after she broke up with her boyfriend at that time, Tiffany and Sunny act as if she is ready to jump into spinsterhood.

The duo didn't understand when she said that she and her boyfriend just didn't work out. They're simply not like Tiffany and Taeyeon who bickers and fight and gaze at each other adoringly when they think no one is looking. Jessica and Donghae will fight and point out each other weakness and bring up their past and storm out and leaving the mess behind. They didn't mend what they broke and only stepping carefully around the mess and not to poke the angry elephant in the room for as long as they could. They couldn't be like Tiffany and Taeyeon where she calls him 'Obnoxious prat' and he calls her 'Prissy swot' as endearment to each other.

Then she got tired them and he also got tired of their fight. They sat and ended it up like a mature and understanding human being. No blood spill and the they're still friend−the quick nod and awkward-small-talk when accidentally met in the corridor friend, but still friend−and sometime work with each other.

She is not sorry and she is not bitter. She is definitely not depressed. The still full pint of her mint chip ice cream in the fridge of her flat is the evidence of that. Even the fact that she could fit into the dress is evidence that she wasn't emotionally disturbed. If she has succumbed into her stress eating habit, there's no way she could get in this bloody well fitted−too ing well−dress.

Lucky for her bestfriend, Jessica wasn't had time to find another dress for her. So she put it on, hair perfectly coiffed and lips perfectly glossed and got her perfect arse to the reception.

For whatever its worth, the dress has worked.

That's probably why the pink haired guy's, Kim Hyoyeon,−who actually funny and a rather pleasant company compared to the old aunt and quite nice looking after she drunk a couple glass of champagne−eyes keep dropping to a quite inappropriate region of her body every time she didn't talk to him or his hardly casual touch to her shoulder while he puts his arm at the back of her chair.

She really need to get out of here. At least from this table.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

When they announce the first dance of the bride and groom, Jessica sees this as a chance. She waits patiently−not actually her forte−for the guess to join to dance and left their seat. Screw all this assigned seat, a single crisp ivory coloured paper cannot stop her to sit wherever she wants to, doesn't matter how elegant the script written on it or how the golden border line makes a bloody folded paper looks so tasteful. She has to move from her seat before she stuffed the lavish ivory linen on her lap to the mouth of the thick-skinned aunt of Tiffany who seemingly cannot understand the word 'no' is mean for 'shut up, old hag. I'm entirely fine by myself and it wasn't event your ing business so stick your full-of-botox nose where it belongs'.

Now the guest finally leaving their seat, she's eyeing the spot at the back which probably a best spot for her to spent time by herself. After excused herself, saying to the old batty aunt that she will−she use the old woman's word−socialize before she gets up and walk to another seat across the room.

“Anything I can get you, miss? Champagne? Sparkling water? A cocktail?”

She glances up to see a tuxedoed waiter at her track, a black-lacquered tray of champagne flutes balanced precariously on the flat of his forearm; He has a nice smile but not the nice polite smile you gave to someone where you work as waiter; he’s also bizarrely eager to ply her with alcohol.

She gives him a polite smile and took another flutes in each hand before walk straight to the farthest seat, mentally taking note to burn the freaking dress in front of Sunny and Tiffany after all of this.

While the night's getting late, the elder guess are leaving; another song changes and the crowd are in the dance floor, she chuckles at the originality of Kim Taeyeon for chose The Hawaiian Wedding Song−of course it was his choosing, Tiffany never touched album earlier  than from the 90's; there's no way she chooses Andy William for her wedding. Gulping her drink, she notices a pink mop on the dance floor and couldn't help but snicker when she realize Kim Hyoyeon is dancing with none other than the maid-of-honour herself, Sunny.

Then she hears a soft rumbling incoherent word following the tune of the song from behind her. So she turns around.

"Oh, sorry, did I distract you?" a guy, brownish perfectly-wind-swept hair, a long and lean figure with glasses on his face is sitting at one of chair in her table. His arms are folded in front of his chest and his back leaning on the back of the chair. For her, he looks relax. Although his hair is slightly messy and he's not even wearing his tux jacket and the white sleeve of his shirt are rolled up at his elbow, he looks put together.

"Actually" she says after raising one of her perfectly arc brow "Yes. Your gibberish mumble are rather distracting. And what was that anyway? Are making your own lyric or what?"

"For your information, it wasn't gibberish. It's the hawaiian version of the song which I, personally, preferred because of its originality" he smiles at her as if he just pointing out the fact and educating a oblivious child.

Personally, she, Jessica Jung, has to admitted how charming actually this bloke is. The guy somehow reminded her of Hugh Grant in Four Wedding and A Funeral. Maybe because she is at a wedding. Or maybe because she just finished binge watching the 90's romantic movie last month.

And beside physically he would be considered as the 'Hey, Look at That Guy' category, he's really great companion. After they talked about the importance of original singer and how rude the recent generation for not appreciating the 'More Than Words' by Extreme and just insisted on only listening to the Westlife one, she has to admitted that the guy, Im Yoong−they introduced themselves already− is really easy to talk with. While they are talking about their favourite Andy William song, and she said that her ultimate favourite all the time is still 'Black Bird' and he said that he prefers 'Something' more which surprise her because she thought he's the 'Polythem Pam' type. And they starts to argue about how actually The Beatles got yoko-ed and how she thinks Paul is the cutest one.

Then she accidently confessed that she spent time binge watch the classic romantic movie and overused her Netflix. And he points out that how could she missed 'Pretty Woman' in her watched list and said that he had crushed on Julia Robert the first time he watch the movie. Which she about, which he only said "Who wasn't?" while shrugs his shoulder and shyly smile. She agrees, because actually−who wasn't−she fell for Julia and Richard Gere in that movie.

"So which side are you? Bride or groom?" he asks before sipping an amber liquid from the crystal glass.

She wonders where did he get that. If she got that earlier she might not had to left her seat. She sure it would help her to face the batty nosy old hag  who sat beside her.

"Bride. Tiff is my bestfriend. We're friend since high school" she unconsciously glance at her very happy, very glowing, and very beautiful friend whom still dancing−more like swaying−with her newly wedded husband. And cannot help to remember how they became friend. On October 3rd, she asked Jessica what day it was and she answered 'It's October 3rd' whilst holding her smile before both of them burst in to laughing fit. Then Tiffany befriends her, despite Jessica's striking blonde highlight hair and weirdly curved bangs Tiffany was sporting at the moment; and for Jessica defences, the blonde hair was actually bithcing that time.

"You?"

He chuckles at her "I thought I was a total charming and dashing while I did my speech before, and here you didn't even notice me although I've killed that ground breaking bestman speech"

That's surprise her, and makes her feels bad. She apologizes and tells him how distracted she was at the damned table and her unique companions, which makes him laugh.

"So you're Taeyeon's bestfriend?"

"I guess I am" he straighten his back and puts his elbow on the broken white linen clothed table in front of him and point his fingers toward the dancing crowd. "Also, Sooyoung, that lanky guy over there" he directs her to the tall−like there is tall, and that guy is tall tall−, with dirty blonde hair who's dancing with a really pretty woman; body to die for, tanned exotic skins, and long black hair. "And Yuri, the girl he's dancing with−who apparently is his fiancé−is also our best mate" Yoong rests his back to the chair and fold back his arm.

"So it's because he considers me as his best mate or because that midget wants to rub his happily married arse on my face by made me his bestman"

"You see, there" Jessica points with her chin "The girl who dances with the blonde pink haired guy. That's my other bestfriend beside that sickening overly happy bride" she turns towards him "So we're kinda in the same boat right now"

"Welcome to the club" he snorts "Wait. I know what the club name should be" he lightly smirks "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club" he says while laughing which is nice and good and actually funny. Jessica laughs with him.

The guy actually really fun to be with. He's such a dork. Despite the serious, soulful, look at the first glace. Despite his hand that keeps messing his already hair. Despite his colourful knowledge about music and film that low key geeky. He's fine to be with. At least Jessica found a decent guy−there're some girls too, she does discriminate−who can make a genuinely interesting conversation and keeps his eyes above her shoulder.

"And how were you and Taeyeon become friends? Wait. Let me guess" she holds her hand in front of her, halting him before he talks.

"Taeyeon was a running back in high school, so you probably a quarterback. You guys were in the jocks group whom rule the school and dumping a nerdy bookworm once a day for recreations" she rises her brows at him.

"Actually, no" he grinds  at her "Taeyeon was running back−I think he or Tiffany already told you about it, so it doesn't count−and I was the nerdy they bullied at school. When we were in college, Taeyeon apparently got some kind of epiphany and came to apologize to me then we became a fast friend"

She stares at him for a couple of second before furrows her brows together in the middle and scrutinize him. "You're joking, right?"

He stares back at her. Before a small tug at the end of his lips gave it away.

"Too cliché, huh?" he snickers at her "I met him when we were in sixth grade. We actually live closed by but we never interact before. So, he was at his garage strumming his brand new electric guitar and asked me when I was passing by if I interested joined his underground metal band. At first I didn't understand what actually underground metal band was−since the only metal music that I learnt at that time was Iron Maiden's 'The Troopers'−but I just somehow followed him-"

"So you guys had a band?"

"Thank God, no" he points at her "I gave up when he was getting weirder with his fascination for Marilyn Manson's kind of music. Then in high school, Tae got into the football team and I was in baseball. End of story"

They looks at the dancing couple at the centre. Their each oldest friend who's still in their happy bubble and looks so content in each other arms. Then Yoong tells Jessica that Taeyeon's favorite movie is 'Topgun'− which she thought 'of-ing-course'; it was either that or 'Braveheart'−and Jessica talks how obsessed Tiffany with Britney Spears. And how Tiffany could not stop gushing about Taeyeon secretly to her and how Taeyeon worked properly if he didn't see Tiffany over a week. And they are laughing at how foolish their friend acted.

Then suddenly he reaches to her hand, which she cannot recall when she put it on the table. His move kind of sudden but his touch on the back of her hand is soft and light like he didn't want to scare her. But she still surprised by it.

"I'm so sorry, I knew we just met, but can you do me a favour?" he quickly says to her as she still taken aback by him "There's this woman who's eyeing me for like twenty minute ago−which actually kinda scares me−and now she's walking over here. Will you dance with me?"

He blurts out the words and before she fully comprehends it she nods. Or she thinks she nods−Jessica does not sure−but he gently pulls her to the centre, sliding between the chair and table. Then puts her hands on to each side of his shoulder before carefully and lightly put his on her hips; when she said carefully, like really careful, only touch her in the place where she is covered by her dress. The bloody dress.

"I owe you one" he says as they dance−no, actually the just sways to whatever direction−and he gives her a little smile. She doesn't know if it because their relatively close distance or because he smells of sandalwood and cigarette or because the little dent on his cheek when he smiles so close to her, but she feels warm on her cheek.

"Now you are save, and I helped you, I think I have the right to know which lovely lady you were hiding from?" she asks

"Hm" his eyes are searching, looking around the room, while she looks at the pinkish hue rising from his neck−she isn't looking for it, it is directly in front of her eyes; her six-inches heels with platform didn't help her to even reach his eye level−and she wonders if the guy actually blushing right now.

"There" he moves them slightly to makes her face the right direction "The one with blue dress"

"The royal blue one or the midnight blue one?"

"What?!" he turns his head to get a better look. "The brunette one"

She takes another look at the said woman then slightly push him to give them more distance−which she desperately need it she wants to look him in the eye without risking a sore neck after−she looks him square in the eyes and frowns at him.

"That's Seohyun. She was mine and Tiffany's junior in high school. She's our friend"

"You know her?" he asks while she can trace a slight panic in his eyes and the pink hue is crawling from his neck to his face. She'll say it is cute if the situation is different.

"Yeah. And apparently she's happily engaged to my cousins, Yonghwa, since two weeks ago. There's no way she's giving you the eye as you said" she scrutinize him.

"Now you better spill or-"

"I was kind of−you know−want to ask for−well, um, I mean-" he gives her a sheepish smile while trying to avoid her perusing eyes. "I mean I wanted to ask you if you didn't mind to dance with me. But I−um, I wasn't sure about your answer. So it kinda made me nervous and I−well, you know the rest" he grins hesitantly but he still felt sorry about pulling ruse to her.

"I'm really sorry, you know. I hope you-"

"Well, I" she steps forward a bit toward him, hoping that he finds it that she somehow forgives him, and it seems he got that since she felt his shoulder got slightly relax on her palms. "For myself, have some ways to make sure one cannot reject my offer"

"And that is?"

"Have lunch with me. Tomorrow" she quickly says it, and makes a prideful smug smile after she saw a surprised, confused expression on his face. "You owe me" she swiftly adds.

She wants to laugh as he wears a lost and stunned look and seems like he lost his ability to articulate his super articulate thoughts that he had before. And the only sound he could make was:

"Oh"

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.s: It's a one-shot guys