Change of Plans

It's You

She felt so warm and secure in his arms. She snuggled in closer and put her hands on his arms which were wrapped around her. She wanted to lay like this forever. 

 

Buzz. Buzz. Buzz. 

 

Her eyes flew open. Her phone was vibrating on her night stand. Hyungsik was on the line. 

 

"Hello?" She answered slightly groggily. 

 

"Oh, I'm sorry did I wake you Boyoung?"  Hyungsik asked apologetically. "I wanted to let you know as soon as possible so I don't ruin any of your plans, but I will have to cancel on meeting you today. Something came up and I can't make it I'm

So sorry. I have to go now I'll see you tomorrow. Bye!" And with that he hung up without any further explanation. 

 

She didn't know how to feel. Relieved? Upset? It took forever for her to fall asleep last night. She kept tossing and turning. Excited that she would see him on a non-working day. Nervous about what he would talk about. She was trying to figure out her feelings. What is this exactly she is feeling? Ugh, her head hurt. 

 

She slowly got up and walked to the kitchen to get a glass of water. She pulled out a chair as she contemplated on what has been happening lately. 

 

She couldn't stop thinking about him. He seems to be on her mind when she gets up and the last thing before she sleeps. She gets excited to go to work even though she knows it'll be a long day and it's because she knows he'll be there. She can't help smiling and feeling excited when she sees his name on phone messages or incoming calls. She feels like she can talk to him about anything - be it fun or serious. And she didn't say anything, but the sofa scene yesterday? She never felt such a real atmosphere on set before. The last time she ever felt anything close to this kind of feeling was... 

 

"No way!" She got up with a gasp almost knocking over her chair. She started pacing back and forth. She felt like time had stopped.  She could feel her face getting flushed from this sudden realisation. 

 

"I...I really do like him." She covered her gaping mouth with her hand. Gasp. "No. Oh my God. I'm in love with him?!" She then reached for her glass of water on the counter and gulped it down like it was soju. 

 

"What do I do? What do I do?" 

 

---

Hyungsik hung up the phone. He felt bad for having to cancel on her. He leaned forward, both elbows on the dining table hands clasped in front of him. He subconsciously rubbed his bottom lip with his thumb as he thought about Boyoung. 

 

He gave out a sigh. He hoped he didn't read her wrong. He wanted to talk to her today but perhaps she still needed time. Knowing her, she was probably thinking and guessing correctly what he wanted to talk about and  perhaps this cancellation would give her time to think things through. And he hoped it would be for the better. 

 

He ran his hand through his hair in slight exasperation. He acts happy and playful in front of her and others but he purposely tries to show in little ways that he truly loves her and genuinely cares for her. 

 

He leaned back and looked up at the ceiling. When he touches her arm he just wants to pull her in for a hug. Whenever she laughs and tilts her head back with and eyes smiling he just wants to pull her in for a kiss. He knew he truly loved her when they took the sofa scene yesterday. He didn't feel like he was acting the part of Ahn Min Hyuk. That was him telling her how he really felt. 

 

"I want to tell her I love her. I want her to love me back." 

 

He could sit here and contemplate on this all day but he did have things to do and places to go. He got up leaving his bowl of food, which he barely touched, and rushed  out the door. 

 

---

Boyoung was so grateful when Bomi called her up late in the afternoon to grab a cup of coffee down the street and just hang out. She was in a daze all day at home with the realisation of what she truly felt for Hyungsik going through her mind. 

 

She thought she would go crazy over-thinking things. From "I shouldn't date my colleague." to "I deserve to be happy too." She even almost took out a pen and paper to list down the pros and cons of being in love and dating Hyungsik.  Was she crazy to even consider rejecting this man who was so perfect in her eyes? She couldn't help laugh at the ludicrousy of it all. She knew there were probably women out there who would kill for his attention. 

 

She couldn't help but be shocked at herself when one moment she was almost hysterical trying to find any reason to shut this all down and the next moment her mind wandered to what he would look like shirtless! "What is wrong with me?!" 

 

Bomi must've have been surprised when she agreed to go out for coffee without any hesitation as she usually just wanted to stay home and rest on her off days. She was just glad to get out of the house. 

 

---

"Is everything all right Boyoung?" Bomi asked with concern. 

 

Boyoung remained silent staring at her iced coffee. 

 

"Do you want to talk about it?" Bomi looked at her cautiously not wanting to pressure her. 

 

"It's about Hyungsik..." Boyoung trailed off. 

 

"You guys are so perfect together. We all think that. Are you two really not dating? We seriously need to catch up more." Bomi said sincerely. 

 

"You really think so, Bomi?" Boyoung looked at her dear friend and saw the sincerity there. "It seems wrong but my heart is telling me that this is right. I don't know what to do..." she trailed off once avain and looked out the window not really seeing anything. 

 

"I want you to be happy. You deserve to be happy. And you truly are happy when you are with him. I can see that and I know you know that. I don't want you to have any regrets that's all." Bomi gave a smile of encouragement. 

 

Suddenly Bomi looked at her watch. "Oh, I have to visit a friend at his new house! It's nearby. Come with me then I'll drop you off." 

 

Boyoung wasn't looking forward to being  at home alone with her thoughts so she agreed to  along. She took a peek at her phone. There were message notifications but none from Hyungsik. She hadn't heard from him all day. He must really be busy. He usually messages or even calls a few times a day. "Whatever, it's not like we're boyfriend and girlfriend," she thought almost sadly to herself. 

 

---

It was just a few minute drive and the mood was lighter after being able to chill and talk with Bomi. They got out of the car and headed up to Bomi's friends pent house. Boyoung checked her phone one more time but nothing. She mindlessly followed Bomi and waited beside her as Bomi rang the doorbell. 

 

"Annyeong! Welcome!" Boyoung looked up in confusion as she heard a deep and handsome voice she was ever familiar with. She stood there gaping as she saw Hyungsik grinning down at her. 

 

"Your package is here. " Bomi announced with a laugh. She turned to Boyoung. "Sorry, I didn't tell you but I was asked to deliver you here. I'm not invited to today's housewarming so I'm going to leave now." And with that, she bounded down the steps. 

 

Boyoung was too surprised to react. She didn't know her heart could beat this fast seeing Hyungsik when she least expected it. 

 

Hyungsik laughed that melodious laugh of his and took her by the hand and led her into his new home. He closed the door behind him and walked her to the living room. 

 

"Have a seat." He said as he sat down and gently pulled on her hand to sit down beside him. 

 

"What do you think?" He asked glancing at her and giving his most charming smile.  

 

She finally laughed.  "About what?" 

 

"I wanted to meet you today to ask you what you think about my new place." He continued to hold her hand in his. 

 

She turned to him trying not to show her  surprise, "This is what he wanted to talk about all along??" She asked herself incredulously. 

 

She quickly let go of his hand and got up pretending to look around. 

 

"It-it's great!" She tried to say with enthusiasm. 

 

She felt so stupid. What made her think that he still liked her and would confess to her today? She faced her back to him trying to control the tears of shame that wanted to spill over. 

 

Suddenly she felt his warm arms slide between her arms and around her waist. She could feel his chest behind her. She closed her eyes. Like in her dreams, she thought. 

 

He rested his cheek on the top of her head. He missed her every minute they weren't together. If he could, he would hold her in his arms all day. 

 

"You know I didn't bring you here just to ask about my new place. There's something else I want to ask you." He whispered into her hair. 

 

Boyoung squeezed her eyes shut. He felt her body stiffen and she straightened herself and turned around to face him. He looked at her face questioningly. His hands still on her waist. 

 

She slowly held his hand and brought them down away from her waist. She held it as they stood facing each other. His eyebrows furrowed in wonder and confusion. 

 

Her eyes filled with tears. "Hyungsik-ah," she said quietly. "I don't think I can do this anymore."