Chapter 11

Lacuna
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In case you just open this from the notification, it's a double update. Make sure you've read the previous chapter before this one. :)

 

- 011 -

 

Jisoo couldn’t get that moment off of her head. The last conversation she had with her dad before he was coding for a heart attack, it was full of apologize. She didn’t expect him to hear the argument she got into with Jongdae the other day, especially when she was sure their voice was inaudible enough for other people to catch. Maybe it was his sensitivity to voices, or maybe it was just fate, no one knew.

All she knew that her heart felt like it sank to her bladder when in his lucid consciousness, he suddenly asked,

“Do you love him?”

Jisoo dragged her chair closer to the bed and closed the distance between her and her dad. “Who is?” she asked back.

“That boy you talk about with Jongdae.” Jisoo froze. “Do you still love him?”

She didn’t expect that they would talk about it, let alone to have her dad aware of Sehun’s presence at all. What would she say? What did she do? She let everything gone be by gone, that she just wanted to move on and now her dad brought it back to her conscience. As much as she wanted to shake her head, she couldn’t lie to her heart.

And when she nodded, tears just came running.

“I’m sorry. I should’ve thought of your feelings, but I was too ignorant…” Her dad rubbed his teary eyes, the sight broke her heart again.

“No, Dad—“

“I had this thought of the possibility that you might have someone you like. Even Yeonseok was trying to tell me, but I couldn’t just have myself to bring it up. I’m sorry. It’s not that I don’t care, I just want you to be happy; I didn’t mean to hurt you or anyone else.”

“Dad, please…”

“I’m sorry.” He pleaded.

And Jisoo shook her head, “Don’t be sorry, there’s nothing to be sorry for. We just don’t belong to each other, Dad, I’ll move on.”

When he choked on his tears, Jisoo realized it was the first time she saw him crying. He didn’t cry when her mom died, at least he didn’t let her see it. He didn’t cry when he walked her on the aisle to her wedding, he didn’t cry when he saw her hurting from the news of his terminal disease. But that day he burst into tears knowing how much it hurt to having a broken heart. It broke his heart too, and Jisoo felt so sorry he had to hear her messy argument with Jongdae. She wished she could be more alert, she should’ve been more careful. And she failed him.

“What’s his name?” he finally asked.

“It’s Sehun.”

“Was he good to you? Did he treat you good?”

Jisoo nodded repeatedly, “He did, more than you could imagine. He was everything but a disappointment.”

“I’m sorry, Jisoo. I know it’s a lot to ask of you, I just want you to be happy—“

“I know, Dad. I believe you.”

“I believe Sehun is a very good boy, I won’t question your judgment. But I promise you, Yeonseok is good too. He would treat you much better, he’s just as nice as that.”

She nodded. “I believe you, Dad.”

“You’re a very good daughter, you know that? You’re kind, and compassionate. I’m a lucky father, and I’ll die happy.”

She couldn’t take it anymore that she let her sob flooded the bed sheet. She nodded heartily, and tears kept running more as he apologized for the last time, and then he said that he loved her, and everything stopped there.

That certain memory kept replaying in her head, and every single time it always caused her another heavy sob. Her dad finally learned about Sehun, and she was happy that he approved him, even though he still believed another man was much better for her. It was fine. It’s just so unfortunate that he had to get through this at his last minutes.

And she never expected that the very spot Jihoon stood would be hers in a matter of hours. Yeonseok stood at her right as they took the condolences from the people who came to the funeral house, in fact, never once he left her side during the procession.

It felt like exactly how her wedding day went, as her soul wandered around leaving her body in that very moment. It’s like a dream, a nightmare that she underwent as she fell asleep. And she didn’t want to wake up for fear that the dream might come true—but then she realized it was the reality. That her dad had indeed gone.

Jisoo mimicked the bow of Seorae’s owner couple, thanking them for their visit. The lady then took her in a tight embrace, engulfing her with consoling words along their condolences and offering her a warm welcome anytime she wanted to visit Seorae.

She took a seat when the couple left the mourning room, folded her legs and wrapped her arms around them. She then rested her forehead on her knees, feeling so tired but refused to rest when Yeonseok asked her to. Apparently he wasn’t the only one asking her to do so because right then Jongdae came in and crouched beside her, offering for an extra help.

“Why don’t you take a rest? Go home with hyung, you need your energy for tomorrow’s funeral. I’ll stay here with mom.” He said while intending to help her to rise, but Jisoo took her arm off.

“No, Oppa needs the rest, I don’t. I want to stay here.”

“You’ll just get more exhausted if you don’t go now. Everybody is here, you don’t need to worry, Uncle won’t be left alone, I promise you.”

“I don’t want to.” She pulled her hand back when Jongdae took it and was about to pull her up.

She had no idea why Jongdae suddenly being persistent to make her rest. She had been here for two days, and he almost never spoke to her. If he was being guilty for his indifference after their last fight, he was wrong if he thought she would yield. She didn’t want to listen.

And Jongdae was just as hard headed as her about this, and she almost yelled for him to leave her alone when at the same time she caught a very familiar figure appeared from the door, then she stopped moving. She couldn’t take off her sight of Sehun, who walked behind his best friend, Jongin, with his black suit and mourning face as they entered the mourning room. A hatred look now shot to Jongdae as she realized what he was trying to do, he wanted to make her leave so that she didn’t get to meet Sehun here.

It sparked her anger.

She watched Sehun from his side as both the boys bowed down to her dad’s coffin, and locked her gaze at the same spot when they turned to greet them.

Why is he here? She thought. What made him come? Because she thought he hated her, because she thought he wanted her to not exist. If he loathed her that much then why he’s here now? What did he want?

Jisoo didn’t rise when Sehun stood in front of her. She stayed staring at the empty spot where he used to stand at the middle of the room before, just right through his knees, she didn’t look up when he half bowed to her and let Jongin do the talking, passing them their condolences. She didn’t react as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter