CHAPTER 13

The Little Girl

“Dawon-ah” Moonbok jerked his head behind her. “What?” she put down her chopstick and turned around to the source of commotion.

“I’m sorry” Dabin bowed numerous to the guy. “That jerk again” Dawon narrowed her eyes to Jaehyun.

Jaehyun rolled his eyes as Dabin accidentally dropped his order.

“Let me get you a new one quickly” Dabin quickly pick up the dropped fried chicken on the restaurant floor. Jaehyun smirked as he glanced to Naeun across him. Naeun held her laughter and jerked her head to the door, signalling them to exit the restaurant.

“Nah it’s okay. I’m so sick of this place” Jaehyun replied. “Because you’re here”

Dawon gasped as Jaehyun picked up the fruit juice on the table and poured it to Dabin’s head. Dabin froze and shut her eyes as she felt the cold liquid against her scalp.

“This punk” Dawon pushed herself off the chair as she hissed. Donghyun, who was beside her held onto her arm, forbidding her from take any step further from their table. “Aniya, Dawon-ah” he shook his head. He pulled her to sit again.

“Let me handle this” Taedong stood. He approached them.

Taedong cleared his throat as he stood at the table. Both Jaehyun and Naeun lifted their head to Taedong.

“Mr. Kim” Naeun called. “Hi. Fancy meeting you here” Taedong smiled at them brightly. “You’re here to eat?”

“We’re leaving already” Jaehyun held onto Naeun’s arm and helped her to stand.

“Better think about your action, kid” Taedong warned that made Jaehyun paused his step. Taedong glared at Jaehyun beside him. “You don’t want to regret for hurting your soulmate, do you?”

Jaehyun turned to him, looking confuse as ever. Taedong smiled brightly to him and gave his shoulder a few pat. “Alright see you at school then”

Naeun quickly bowed to him and pulled Jaehyun to walk with her out from the restaurant. Taedong watched as they exit from the restaurant. “Those kids” he shook his head. He knelt beside Dabin and took out his handkerchief. Taedong wiped her head with it. Dabin lifted her head to him. “Mr. Kim”

“Hi, Dabin” he smiled.

“Dabin-ssi, you okay?” Dawon came to her.

Dawon helped her to stand.

“Thank you, Mr. Kim” Dabin held onto the handkerchief. “I will return it to you at school”

“Just keep it” Taedong replied. “I have plenty of those at home. And” he paused. “Who knows you’ll be needing it again later. For tears?”

“Dabin is not a cry baby, Taedong-ah” Dawon glared at him. She turned to Dabin. “She’s a strong girl”

Dabin smiled. “I hope I’m that kind of person. But don’t worry. I won’t cry anymore. And if I do” she held the handkerchief high. “I know I have someone there for me”

Taedong smiled. “You have us, Dabin. Remember that”

“Nae” Dabin glanced at the counter where the owner stood. She doesn’t look happy. “I need to get back to work now” Dabin bowed.

“Alright” Dawon and Taedong watched as Dabin left them.

 

“Looks like you’re Dabin’s favourite person” Donghyun sneered as they sat at their places again. “Aniya” Taedong chuckled. “Why? You’re jealous Donghyun?”

“Jealous?” Dawon looked at them one after another. “You have a crush on my sister, Donghyun? Daebak!”

“No” Donghyun smiled coyly and quickly immersed himself with eating.

“Yah you never tell me” Dawon poked on him but he ignored her. “Yah, Donghyun-ah”

“No, Dawon” Donghyun smiled. “Not crush. Don’t listen to him” he glanced at them. “He’s just making things up”

“Like you didn’t think about her all the time” Yehyeon snickered. “We all think about her too, right?” “Maybe you think about her more” “What the” Donghyun chuckled.

Dawon’s phone beeped. She looked at it.

“What’s that?” Moonbok asked her. She showed the message she just received.

“It’s the unknown number” Hyunbin snatched the phone and read the message.

“Threat again?” Donghan guessed. Hyunbin nodded and read the message from them to hear. “Better treasure your loved one before they vanish”

“Wendy’s parents” Dawon shot up. “Let’s go home! They should be home by now, right?”

Sunghyuk nodded. “I guess so. You go home with Hyunbin first. We’ll settle things here then we’ll come to you”

“Let’s go” Hyunbin stood and dragged Dawon out from the restaurant.

 

The two ran into a dark quiet alley. They ran through it. Dawon was about to step into a puddle when suddenly the road before her turned into grasses on the front yard of Wendy’s home. She looked up to the see the house before her.

“Stay behind me” Hyunbin glanced at her behind him before pushed open the front door. “But I’m sure I locked the door before we left this morning” she whispered. “You did. Someone know the pass code to this door” he entered the house.

It was dark and silent. They walked passed the living room. Dawon glanced out the wide window and there was no car at the porch. “Mr. and Mrs. Son are not home yet”

“Then it’s true that someone broke into this house and turned off the security installed” he looked around. Nothing unusual can be seen. “Let’s go upstairs”

They tip-toed up the stairs. He glanced at her. Dawon nodded and they turned to Wendy’s room that was closed. Hyunbin opened it. Dawon gasped. The windows of the room were left ajar with the curtain blew at the night breeze. The doll house fell onto the floor. Dawon ran to it and picked it up. Hyunbin checked the rest of the room including the bathroom.

“No one is here” he came back to her who was placing the doll house carefully at its place. “Why do you care so much about that toy?”

“Because” she turned to him. “This is the home of my loved ones. I want to protect what’s yours”

Hyunbin could felt his cheeks burn. He looked away. “Nothing missing so assume that it’s not burglar who come in here. Maybe the person was just looking for Wendy”

“But failed because we went to the places Wendy usually won’t go?” “Think so” “So the person only wants Wendy?” “Yes because her parents’ room was still locked”

Hyunbin went to turn on the lights.

“The rest are not here yet?” she asked. “They’re coming” he replied before flopped onto the floor. “Hyunbin-ah!” she went to him. He groaned in pain as he held onto his chest. “What happen?!”

A set of footsteps came running up the stairs. Dawon looked up to find the guys entering the room. “Hyunbin-ah!” Moonbok who entered first ran to Hyunbin. “I don’t know what happen. He suddenly falls” Dawon explained. Donghan glanced at her from looking at Hyunbin and paused. She was sobbing.

“Dawon” Donghan called. “Don’t worry. Hyunbin is fine”

“What?”

Donghan and Moonbok helped Hyunbin to stand.

“You okay, Hyunbin?” Dawon asked as they helped him to sit on the bed. “Nae” he panted. His eyes felt heavy as he clutched onto his chest from the acute pain.

“Where’s Donghyun?” she turned to Moonbok. “Downstairs” he replied.

Hyunbin fell onto the bed unconscious.

“Hyunbin-ah!” Dawon shouted.

“What happen?” Donghyun burst into the room with the rest. “Hyunbin…He…” she whimpered.

Donghyun knelt beside the bed. Yehyeon and Sunghyuk came into the room. Sunghyuk checked on Hyunbin’s condition too. “He’s alright” Sunghyuk announced. “It’s his energy. He must have used loads of them in one go when he teleports the rest of us here”

“Poor Hyunbin” Dawon caressed his head and pulled the cover over him. “He should rest”

Dawon walked to the couch and took out her phone. She rang Mr. Son.

“Appa” “Buttercup, you’re home?” “Nae” “Have you had dinner?” “Yes. Are you coming home soon?” “I’m at the mall with your omma. Why? What’s wrong?” “Ani. Nothing. I’ll see you at home then” “Alright, dear”

“Wendy’s parents are alright, right?” Yehyeon came to her. She nodded. “Do you think we should tell them about this?”

“Well since nothing went missing and no one is hurt, I don’t think we need to inform them about this. Plus” he glanced at Hyunbin who was on her bed. “What will they think when they find out their daughter’s bodyguard is in their daughter’s room?”

“You’re right” Moonbok joined them and threw himself onto the couch. “For the night I guess we need to let Hyunbin sleep there. He can’t turn himself into doll now that he’s unconscious”

“Yes I totally I understand” she sat on the couch. “I can sleep here for the night”

* * *

“Good night” Dawon bid Wendy’s parents good bye before she climbed the stairs to her room. She shut the door behind her and sighed. She looked down to the chocolate Mrs. Son got for her.

“It’s your favourite chocolate, Wendy. I saw it at the store just now. I know it had a while since you have it” Mrs. Son’s voice lingered in her head. Dawon smiled and went to the couches. “Yehyeon-ah”

Yehyeon looked up from reading a book. “Dawon-ah” he smiled. She sat beside him. “What’s that?” “Oh this” Dawon unwrapped the chocolate. “Mrs. Son gave this. She said Wendy eonni loves this chocolate. Have some”

“Thank you” he received it and ate it. “Wendy do loves this chocolate”

“But it looks like an expensive chocolate” “It is”

Dawon looked around. The other guys were not around. “Where are the other?”

“They’re already asleep in the house” he jerked his head to the doll house. “Oh I see” she leaned in to look at the book in his hands. “What are you reading?”

“Cook book” he flipped through the pages. “I want to try new recipe when I have time”

“You must be really love to cook” “Now that I’m a human, I tried to enjoy things human use to love. So yea. You can say I fell in love with cooking” “But what will you do if you can’t cook anymore?” “Angry?” he shrugged. “Maybe I’m just dissatisfied with my fate. Because I can’t do something that I enjoy the most”

The sound of door opened made them lifted their head to the bathroom.