CHAPTER 11

The Little Girl

Dawon wrote the date of the day in the diary after finished writing the entry.’20th May’ She stood and kept the book again at the shelf. She turned to the bed. All of her dolls had arranged themselves on the pillow. A smiled stretched on her lips. Dawon turned again to the shelf and ran her finger to the books to look for any interesting storybook to read. She stopped as her finger ran across piece of papers hid between the books. She took it out and stared at it. agape and she quickly covered , not to let her gasp be heard. *No way!*

* * *

Dabin bag pack was thrown onto the ground as Jaehyun left her alone. She bent over and picked up her books. She arranged it in her bag and wore it. “That’s weird. I don’t feel like crying anymore. Immune I guess?”

She walked through the school garden, heading out the school as school was over.

“Student” a lady at the bench called. Dabin stopped her steps and turned to lady. “Me?”

“Yes” Dawon patted the empty space beside her. “Care to join me for a while? Or you have to head to work now?”

Dabin glanced down to her watch. “I still have sometimes before my shift” she sat beside her. “Hi” she bowed. “I heard you’re the director of the school”

“Yes I am” Dawon nodded. *It’s so nice to talk to you again, eonni*

“I just though I need someone to accompany me here for a while” Dawon looked down to her hand. She took it. “What happen?” A few plasters were pasted on Dabin’s palm.

“I fell while running at the field” Dabin replied and pulled her hands again. “Doesn’t seems like it to me” Dawon replied. Dabin turned to Dawon in disbelieve. *I saw you fell when that guy pushes you the other day*

“That’s from the tar” Dawon glanced at her. “Am I right?”

Dabin sighed.

“Tell me, you’re bullied?” Dawon shot a question that Dabin reacted with her widened eyes. “Who are you? Are you stalking on me?”

“Well, no” Dawon chuckled. “Your teacher, Mr. Kim Taedong told me about a few students who got bullied so I thought maybe I found one of them”

“Why did Mr. Kim tell that to someone like you” “Well…” Dawon was lost for words for a while. *Aigo, Dabin eonni* “Well, he thought as the director, I need to know about the whereabouts in this school” *Nice, Dawon!*

“Oh, I see” Dabin nodded. “Well, now that you figure out, what can you do with it? Even I unable to do anything with it”

“You’re being so negative. At least you need to know someone is looking after you without you knowing” “Who?” *Me, Dabin eonni* “Your teachers. They can help you. You can always go to them and talk about your problem”

“I have a hard time in believing teachers, you know” “Or me?” *Yah, Dawon! What are you talking about?!* “I mean since I’m always around the school lately, you can share your problem with me”

“That’s so nice of you. But” Dabin smiled. “In this cruel world, I don’t think I can easily trust people”

“Yes I understand” *No matter what you said, I will hold your hand in this cruel world*

“Ah, I see!” Dabin just remembered something. “The other day behind the lab building, you were there. That’s why you know I was bullied. Well, thank your friend for me. And now if you excuse me” Dabin stood and bowed. “I need to go now”

“Yes of course” Dawon nodded with a mustered smile.

Dabin started to walk away. Dawon watched her. *Looks like I’ll have a hard time to get close to my own sister* she sighed and stood to go away.

“Wait”

Dawon turned around to see Dabin approached her.

“The ribbon” Dabin pointed to the bow on her head. “Oh this” Dawon touched the bow on her head. “Do I look ridiculous wearing it since I’m a grown up woman?”

“No. Not at all” “I had been wearing it for years” “It just that” Dabin turned around. “It reminds me of someone though” she started to walk away. “See you later then”

Dawon waved again and froze at her position. A warm smile appeared on her face.

“Looks like she softens a bit” Donghyun approached her. She nodded in agreement. “Eonni is cold to someone new. But I don’t mind. I will approach her slowly. Until she’s comfortable around Wendy Son”

* * *

“Where are we going?” Mr. Son asked. He glanced at Sunghyuk. “It’s a surprise for you, sir” Sunghyuk glanced at him before turned to look at the number of the floor in the elevator of the hospital again. Mr. Son chuckled. “Is this have anything to do with Wendy?”

“You’re good at guessing, sir” Sunghyuk smiled.

They stepped out of the elevator to the rooftop garden of the hospital. There was no one there except…

“Here, sir” Sunghyuk held out his hand. Mr. Son lifted his head to face the gazebo that was decorated with flowers with a table under it. “Woah” he cupped his agape mouth.

“Appa” Dawon approached them. Mr. Son turned to see both her daughter and his wife.

“Honey” Mrs. Son smiled to him. “Omo” she was surprised at the decorated gazebo. “You did this, Wendy?”

“Yes” Dawon nodded. “With the help of the others of course”

She held onto both of their hands and walked to the dining table. Dawon helped both Mr. and Mrs. Son to take their places. Dawon sat between them.

“What’s the occasion?” Mrs. Son asked. “Woah, look at the food!” Mr. Son smelled the aromatic lunch before them.

“Nothing” Dawon smiled. “I just want to treat my parents a nice lunch. About your work, don’t worry. I handle them already. So let’s just enjoy our family time this whole evening”

“Wendy, you never do this for us” Mrs. Son was touched.

“That’s why I’m doing this now. I don’t want to regret later” Dawon replied with a smile. “Now” she held out her hand to the food. “Let’s enjoy our lunch, shall we?”

Mr. and Mrs. Son exchanged smiles.

 

The family enjoyed their time chatting and laughing together.

“Is that real daisy?” Mrs. Son saw the flower at the pot hung around them. Dawon followed her view. “Yes”

“Oh I have always loves daisy” “We should grow some in our yard” “Brilliant idea, dear!”

Mrs. Son took another bite of the steak. “Do you grow them? It looks so healthy and fresh”

“Sunghyuk grow it” Dawon paused. She lifted her head. Mr. and Mrs. Son stared at her. “No I mean Sunghyuk bought it from nearby florist this morning” Dawon replied quickly. “That explain why it’s so fresh”

“I should ask him where the florist is. The flower looks so nice!” Mrs. Son continued to eat. “Nae” Dawon with a smirk.

“It’s so nice that you decorate this dull gazebo with flowers” Mr. Son praised. “I never thought it would look good with flowers grew in it”

“I agree” Dawon replied. She continued to eat as her mind remembered what just happened.

-Flashback-

Dawon was standing before the gazebo, arms holding her waist. The metal frame looked boring without any decoration. She tilted her head, thinking.

“Dawon” Sunghyuk came to her. “Hey” she glanced at him then again to the gazebo. “Do you have any idea how to decorate this place so that it looks more” she moved her hand in explosion gesture. “Super cute?”

“Cute?” Sunghyuk chuckled. “Sure. Let me try something” he approached the metal frame of the gazebo. He gripped on the metal frame and his palm glowed.

  1. Dawon went to him.

Green plant started to climb onto the metal frame and wrapped it. Sunghyuk touched the empty pot scattered around the gazebo and daisies grew in it.

“This is gorgeous!” Dawon picked up one of the pots that had an orange daisy. “Let’s arrange these nicely” Sunghyuk picked up the rest of the pots.

-End of flashback-

*I wonder why Sunghyuk work as doctor instead of gardener* Dawon thought with a smile.

 

“Looks like they’re all happy” Yehyeon voiced. They were watching the family from behind a wall. The rest nodded in agreement.

“Dawon is trying to help Wendy getting close to her parents” Donghan voiced.

* * *

Dabin’s head fell onto the desk in her room. Tears stained the exercise book before her. Her shoulder shuddered from sobbing silently alone. Bunch of book covered her desk. *I can’t take this anymore. Please…*

 

Dawon smiled as she continued to chat with both Mr. and Mrs. Son.