I Hate Your Scars

Halloween Soul Mate Collection Vol. 2

Jaehwan hated the scars that littered his body.

There were dozens stretching the length of his right leg, the result of doctors trying to repair dozens of broken bones. There were several scars across his chest from doctors tying to fix a collapsed lung and several cracked ribs. His left shoulder has a few scars from attempts to mend damaged mussels. On his right cheek was the remains of a nasty gash. His back was marked from attempts to repair a spine.

He hated all of them. He wished with all his hearts that they weren’t there, that the events that caused them had never happened. He would give anything for the train accident to have never happened, for the scars that constantly reminded him of that day to vanish. He knew that his soul mate wished for that as well. Even more then he did in fact.

You see, the scars didn’t belong to Jaehwan. They might have been on his body, marking his flesh, but the wounds that caused them were not his wounds. They belonged to his soul mate. Each and every mark that was on Jaehwan’s body belonged to Sanghyuk.

In their world, your soul mate had to carry your scars. For most people this wasn’t a big deal. For most people, their soul mate was never hurt badly enough for this to be a big deal. Jaehwan and Sanghyuk were not most people. They used to be, back when they were children. Jaehwan would scrape his knee and Sanghyuk would dawn the scar. Sanghyuk could cut himself trying to help his mother cook and the scar would appear on Jaehwan’s skin forever. Back then, they didn’t truly understand the significance of their scars appearing on their best friend.

And then the train Sanghyuk was riding crashed.

Jaehwan didn’t know until the scars started appearing on his body, one after another as the doctors repaired Sanghyuk’s broken body. Jaehwan had rushed to the hospital, distraught at the idea of Sanghyuk in pain. He’d broken down when the doctors told him that they weren’t sure Sanghyuk would recover. He’d broken down again when Sanghyuk finally woke up, the first words he said being an apology for making his boyfriend worry.

Jaehwan hated the scars that littered his body. He hated them because they constantly reminded him of the day he almost lost the most important person in his life. He hated them because every time he saw them, he remembered the doctors telling him that his love might not wake up.

A/N: I had this idea, like, the second I remembered this AU. It’s a bit on the short side, I know, but I still like how it turned out.