Chapter 13

All That Glitters

It took two weeks since that meeting under the bus shed for Yunho to gather enough nerve to text Jaejoong and ask him out for coffee.

He had finally settled in and had become comfortable in his new job and new apartment. He had gotten in touch with Yoochun who was shocked to find out where he was. Yunho spent ten minutes reassuring him that it was all truly just one huge coincidence that he had found a job in Jeonju where Jaejoong had been all these years.

“Do you think I should meet up with him?” he asked his old friend. “You don’t think that he’ll throw a coffee cup at me, do you?”

“Uhh, I think Jae is past such a cliché and drama-like reaction to seeing you again,” Yoochun had answered with a chuckle. “But, dude, it’s been five years. You’ve both moved on, right? It wouldn’t hurt to just… catch up. As friends.”

“Right. Catch up.” He thought about it before asking. “Hey, Chunnie, do you know if Jae is… dating anyone?”

“Yah!”

“What? I’m just curious!”

On the other line, Yoochun sighed. “Don’t expect more from him.”

“Of course not. No. I could never… I just… I missed him and… I just want to talk to him again.” He paused before asking again, “So… is he?”

“Aish, you’re annoying!” With that, the other hung up.

Yunho couldn’t help but wonder if Yoochun was simply hiding the truth. Nonetheless, it didn’t make him want to see Jaejoong any less. Was that selfish? Perhaps. But, Yunho had realized how selfish he was whenever it came to Jaejoong; it looks like five years didn’t change that aspect of him.  

However, he was no longer that desperate man who clung to Jaejoong like he was a life raft. He had no intention of taking the latter away from the happiness he found, however. All he wanted was a chance to talk, to ensure that in their separation, Jaejoong had found what he was looking for. That was all that Yunho needed.

So, he gathered his nerve and texted him. And Jaejoong agreed. Yunho was over the moon with joy.

They met up at a coffee shop in the center of town one afternoon during the middle of the week. Yunho had opted to take the rest of his work home and Jaejoong’s classes would be ending around that time.

Yunho arrived first and grabbed a corner table, away from prying ears and eyes. He was a bundle of nerves and excitement. A million different scenarios flashed in his head, wondering how this meeting would go, and praying that it would go well, that no one would be drenched in coffee right after (namely, him).

Fifteen minutes later, Jaejoong arrived, a heavy-looking leather satchel slung around his body. He scanned the area and Yunho raised a hand to wave him over. The other flashed a smile and went over to him, slouching a little due to the weight of his bag.

“Hey, sorry, am I late?” he asked.

Yunho shook his head. “You’re right on time. I came early.”

He called for a waiter and they both ordered before starting with small talk. Jaejoong talked about his day and his students. Yunho talked about his colleagues and how he was settling in. They talked about their friends back in Gwangju, about how the now university professor Changmin was on his fifth girlfriend, how Yoochun was too busy with the family business to even date, and how Dr. Kim Junsu had been getting more ahjumma admirers than women his own age.

It was a pleasant atmosphere, friendly and light. They were two friends just catching up on life.

Their food arrived and they dug in, falling into silence.

Yunho took that time to examine Jaejoong a little more closely. There were dark circles under his tired eyes, but he didn’t look bothered by them. His blonde hair was unkempt and unruly, probably due to the wind outside, but it suited him just fine. There was dried ink on his fingers and chalk stains on his wrinkled shirt.

He looked every bit the teacher that Yunho had always known he would be. He felt a sense of pride at how far he had come.

“Yunho? Anything wrong?”

He was pulled out of his musings at Jaejoong’s voice. The other was looking at him, questioningly, the fork with a bit of cake halfway to his mouth.

Yunho shook his head, smiling slightly. “Nothing, just thinking about how different things are now. Seems only yesterday you were wearing that gaudy yellow t-shirt for that summer program and now you’re wearing a suit and probably being called Seongsaenim.”

Jaejoong chuckled. “I can say the same for you, Mr. Hotshot lawyer. I bet you’re rich now.”

“Rich enough to finally buy myself a proper suit, I guess.”

“I hope you got rid of that ugly gray pinstripe one. You looked like an ahjussi when you wore it.”

“It was the first thing I tossed out.”

“Good.”

They both laughed, falling back into silence as they reminisced.

Yunho was touched that Jaejoong still remembered something as insignificant as an ugly old suit.

Jaejoong cleared his throat as he put his fork down. “So, before we talk about anything else, I just want to start with… I’m sorry.”

Yunho’s eyes widened. Why was Jaejoong apologizing?

The other continued, oblivious to Yunho’s confusion. “For five years ago… I’m sorry if I just suddenly left you… that time. It was cowardly of me to run away after making you believe that there was a chance for us. But… Yunho… I don’t regret leaving.” Jaejoong absentmindedly played with his fork. “I needed the time away to get myself together and… fix myself. Jeonju gave me that opportunity, so I don’t regret it.”

His soft brown eyes looked back at Yunho, confident and unwavering.

The lawyer nodded in understanding. “I know. I get it. I… I can’t really blame you for choosing to leave.” He coughed. “To be honest, I needed that time too. I was… really pathetic.” He chuckled. “You were right, you know. I was just too blind and… desperate for you to love me again that I failed to see that we both needed time and space. I had to learn how to live without you and I had to fix myself. And I did.”

Jaejoong smiled, slightly. “I’m glad.”

“I’m sorry too. For putting you in that position. I’m… sorry for everything.”

“I know.”

Silence descended on them again and they continued with their food, sneaking glances at each other every now and then. But, it wasn’t awkward or uncomfortable. It was simply… fine.

Yunho decided to start the next conversation. “So… that blonde hair,” he teased. “You said last time that it was a long story. I’m curious to know now.”

At that, Jaejoong laughed. “Of all topics to start with, Jung, you pick my hair?” He ran a hand through the golden locks. “This was Woohyun’s idea. He told me one day that he thought it would look y. How he managed to convince me still boggles my mind, to be honest. But, the kids like it. They said it makes me look like an idol.”

Yunho felt a pang in his heart at the mention of a different man. Jaejoong’s tone was fond and playful… very familiar. So they really were close then. Yunho hoped that Woohyun knew how lucky he was to have someone like Jaejoong. He hoped he wouldn’t hurt him like Yunho did.

But, if Jaejoong was happy, then Yunho was satisfied with that.

He cleared his throat. “So… how long have you and Woohyun-shii been together?”

Jaejoong’s brows furrowed, his head tilting to the side. “How long have we… wait… you…” He chuckled. “You think Woohyun and I are together?”

“Aren’t you?”

Jaejoong chuckled again, flashing him a teasing smirk. “Why? Are you jealous?”

Yunho coughed and took a sip from his coffee, not answering.

“I mean… I guess Woohyun is pretty handsome… don’t you think?” Jaejoong said, smirking.

Yunho hummed before wrinkling his nose. “Not really my type.”

The blonde’s eyes twinkled in mischief. “Then what is your type?”

The other pretended to think it over. “Someone who cooks well.”

“Woohyun is a chef.”

“Is that so? Then, someone who also looks cold at first, but when you get to know them, they’re actually really warm and friendly.”

Someone like Jaejoong, but Yunho couldn’t say that. Not right then.

But, he could see the realization fall on Jaejoong’s face. The blonde blushed lightly before coughing.

“You’re still the same as ever,” he said, chuckling lightly. “We’re not together, Yunho. Woohyun is just a friend of mine. An in-law, actually.”

Yunho blinked in confusion. “In law?”

“You remember my cousin, Sunggyu? He stayed with us for a summer back when we were 11 and he was 9.”

An old memory from the time surfaces in his head of a little kid with his nose in a book, following Jaejoong around with stars in his tiny eyes, the same eyes constantly glaring at Yunho.

“Glasses, small eyes, that naggy kid? What about him?”

Jaejoong laughed. “Well, Woohyun is his husband.”

That was an unexpected lightning strike. “H-husband? He’s gay? Since when?”

“Since college, I guess. That was when they met. Apparently, Woohyun had this giant crush on him and started following him around and asking him to date him. Took the kid a year to get Sunggyu to agree and the rest is history.”

Jaejoong smiled, fondly. “I stayed with them during my first year here before I got my own place. They got married after Sunggyu graduated from college and adopted Myungsoo two years ago. They’re very happy together.” He sighed. “They make me jealous sometimes.”

Yunho’s heart started picking up pace. “So… you’re not dating anyone?”

Jaejoong shook his head as he took a sip from his coffee, watching Yunho from the rim of his cup.

The admission made Yunho feel like a heavy weight had been lifted from his shoulders. A weight that he didn’t realize he had been holding. The thought of Jaejoong being with someone else didn’t suit well with him. But, he also knew that just because the other wasn’t dating anyone doesn’t mean that he would come running back into his arms.

He lost the right to Jaejoong’s love years ago. He wouldn’t force it on him now.

Jaejoong put his cup down and cleared his throat. He looked shy all of a sudden. “Um… what about you?”

“Me?”

“Yeah… are you seeing anyone? Perhaps… Jisoo?”

Yunho’s eye twitched as he chuckled. “No, I’m not seeing anyone. Most especially not Jisoo.”

“Ahhh…” Jaejoong rubbed a finger against the rim of his cup, staring at the mixture of his coffee. “So… how is she?”

Yunho shrugged. “No idea. I haven’t seen her or spoken to her in years.” He took a bite of his pastry and a sip of his coffee before continuing. “After we… broke up, the lease for my old apartment ended. I moved out and didn't tell anyone where I was moving. I changed my number and all of my contact info. Jisoo… ahhh… she started coming to the firm almost every day for about a year, asking to see me. She bothered some of the staff and my colleagues. The higher ups got annoyed and threatened to put a restraining order on her. After that, she stopped coming.” Yunho looked up at Jaejoong. “To be honest, I haven’t thought about her in years.” He tapped absentmindedly on his cup. “Appa tried to set me up with a few dates though.”

“O-Oh… He did?”

“Mmhmm.” Then, he smiled, teasingly. “He gave up when he realized that I would never show up to any of them.”

“You stood them up?! How cruel!”

Yet, Jaejoong was smiling as he said it. It must have been Yunho’s imagination but he could swear that he saw Jaejoong’s own shoulders loosen up, his eyes relieved.

Yunho shrugged. “I told him that I wouldn’t show up. Not my fault they went anyway. Besides, meeting up with someone I don’t know… not really my style.”

“Ahhh… I see…” Jaejoong chuckled. “So… You changed your number, you said? That explains why you didn’t answer my call one time.”

“Wait…. You called me?”

This was a surprise. One that made the little spark of hope in Yunho light up again.

“I got drunk at a Christmas party my first year here. I, uh, drunk-called you but it wouldn’t go through.” He looked embarrassed again. “I got so frustrated that I threw my phone into the punch bowl. Sunggyu almost killed me ‘cause it splashed on him.”

“Oh…”

Jaejoong hummed. “To be honest, even if you did answer, I probably wouldn’t have known what to say.”

“Me neither,” Yunho admitted.

Another silence fell between them as they opted for finishing their food. The conversation had taken a dangerous turn and neither one wanted to go there.

It was still a painful memory after all. Here they were, sitting and eating and talking like old friends. Re-opening the wounds of the past would only push them further apart.

But, Yunho also knew that they couldn’t avoid it forever. They couldn’t pretend that it didn’t happen. It was part of their past.

“How’s Jihye?” Jaejoong asked, suddenly.

“Oh, she’s fine. Just graduated this year from law school. She’s taking a year off to travel the country before she starts working.”

“Wow, our little Jihye going off on her own? Were your parents okay with that?”

“Well, Appa wasn’t too happy but stubbornness runs in the family, so Jihye was gonna go either way. She met a group of friends in law school and they’re traveling together. She calls once a month.”

Jaejoong smiled. “Will you say ‘hi’ to her for me? I feel bad that I didn’t even say goodbye to her.” The smile turned worried. “She’s not mad at me, is she?”

Yunho hummed. “Well, she was, at first. But, you know her. She has a special place for you in her heart. I don’t think she stayed mad.” He looked away. “We don’t really talk about it.”

Again, the conversation was taking a dangerous turn. There was really no avoiding it.

“Yunho…” Jaejoong’s voice was soft, hesitant, a little worried. “Have you really been okay?”

He smiled, genuinely. Jaejoong may look different now but his kind disposition had not changed.

“It took a while, but I’m better now,” Yunho replied, honestly. “What about you? Are you… happy?”

Jaejoong nodded. “I am. I’m satisfied with my life now.”

“Then, that’s all I’ve ever wanted for you. Truly.”

He wasn’t lying. All he had ever wanted was to make sure that Jaejoong was truly happy. The memory of a crying and broken Jaejoong continued to haunt him in the last five years. And now, he was reassured, seeing this content Jaejoong in front of him. The blonde hair alone made him brighter. And Yunho was thankful that there had been people by Jaejoong’s side all that time.

“Ahhh, I should probably head out soon.” Jaejoong was looking at his watch. “I still have a bunch of papers to grade and a lesson plan to finish.” He suddenly looked shy. “Maybe we can do this again, sometime?”

Yunho’s heartbeat quickened.

“You don’t know anyone around here yet, right?” Jaejoong continued. “I can show you around.”

“Y-Yes… that would be great!” Yunho could barely contain his happiness.

He watched as Jaejoong began to pack up and dropped a few bills on the table for his food.

“Hey, Jae?”

“Hmmm?” The blonde looked up.

Yunho swallowed. It was now or never. “I know that we can’t ever go back to the past. I know that things will never be the same again between us. And I’m not going to try to force anything between us or pursue you anymore. But…” He twiddled his thumbs. “I was hoping that… we could… at least be… friends?”

Jaejoong’s expression was unreadable.

“Do you think we can start over, Kim Jaejoong?”

Finally, the blonde smiled and tilted his head. “I’d like that,” he agreed.

Unable to stop his lips from grinning because he was so darn happy, Yunho reached out across the table, holding out his hand. Jaejoong tilted his head to the side in question.

“Hi, I’m Jung Yunho. It’s nice to meet you.”

Jaejoong flashed him a look of disbelief before laughing. It was music to Yunho’s ears.

The blonde clasped his hand in a firm hold.

“Hi, I’m Kim Jaejoong. It’s nice to meet you too.”

They were starting over. A clean slate. A new friendship.

 

 


 

 

Yunho wasn’t the only one suffering when he left Gwangju. Jaejoong, himself, could barely get himself out of bed in the mornings during the following days. Aside from meals and the bathroom, he stayed locked in his room.

He was the one who had broken it off so why did he feel like ?

His cousin Sunggyu and his boyfriend Woohyun were generous to provide him with a place to stay while he got himself settled in Jeonju, but he felt like an inconvenience with his dark moods. They had invited out several times to explore the town but he always declined.

The one time he felt okay enough to leave his room, he had walked into a scene of Sunggyu and Woohyun wrapped around each other in the kitchen, exchanging kisses and sweet words. The ache and longing in his chest were so painful that he immediately returned to his room and locked himself in again.

A week after his move, he received a call from Yoochun. His body grew cold when his friend on the other line narrated Yunho’s breakdown, how he destroyed his room, how a frantic Jihye called Yoochun in fear, and how he witnessed Yunho almost throw their rings out the window.

Jaejoong listened with horror and worry.

“How… how is he now?” he asked, his hands shaking as they held the phone to his ear.

“I punched him, knocked some sense into him, and his mom gave him sedatives to help him sleep.” Yoochun sighed. “He’s really broken up, Jae.”

With that admission, Jaejoong let out a sob as his legs began to feel like jelly underneath him. He made it to the bed and sat down, folding his knees to his chest.

“His parents must hate me,” he said. “His dad never did approve of me.”

“I don’t know about his dad but Mrs. Jung doesn’t blame you for leaving.”

“How do you know?”

“She told me. She was asking about you when I came to visit today.”

Jaejoong did not deserve a woman like Mrs. Jung in his life.

“She said she just hopes you find happiness and that she was sorry it wasn’t with her son.” Yoochun sighed. “Jihye was upset though. You know how much she loves her brother.”

“I… I know…” He sniffled. “I miss him, Yoochun.”

Silence on the other line. “Do you want to come home?”

Jaejoong considered but then shook his head. “No… not while I’m like this… not while I’m a mess.” He let out another sob. “I can’t… I just can’t…”

“I understand.”

“Hey, Chunnie?”

“Yeah?”

“Can you guys do me a favor?”

“Sure, anything.”

Jaejoong sniffled before clearing his throat. “Will you guys take care of Yunho for me? Make sure he’s eating well and resting. You know how he is, when he’s working, he’s non-stop.”

“We will, Jae, don’t worry. Will you be okay?”

He sniffled again, swallowing the lump in his throat. “Eventually.”

After that call, Jaejoong had ended up curled on his bed, staring into nothing for he didn’t know how long. His chest was tight, his body shook, and tears continued to flow from his eyes no matter how hard he tried to stop them.

When Sunggyu came to call him for dinner, he still could barely move. No matter his cousin’s encouragement to get him up, he couldn’t seem to drag his body out of bed. At some point, he had curled up with his head on Sunggyu’s lap, crying, while the younger rubbed his back in a soothing manner.

“It hurts so much, Sunggyu-ah,” he said, his voice shaking. “I didn’t realize it was going to hurt this much… Why does it hurt?... I called it off… But, it hurts…”

“Because you love him, hyung,” Sunggyu answered. “No matter what he did, you still love him. And it’s okay to still love him. Woohyun and I, we’re here for you, hyung.”

And they were.

Woohyun would bring him meals from his part-time job and spend a few hours talking to him about the most random things. And since Sunggyu was off from school as well, he would check on the older every couple of hours every day. And when Jaejoong finally managed to leave his room, Sunggyu would keep him company, whether it was in front of the T.V. or in the kitchen as they watched Woohyun cook.

A month in, they managed to get him out of the house and explore the town. And as the time for the opening of school arrived, they took him shopping for supplies. It was only the thought of teaching again that motivated Jaejoong to move every day.

Soon, he was able to wake up in the morning with dry eyes and no tear tracks. He was able to put on genuine smiles as he greeted his students and co-teachers. He could joke around with Woohyun as they made dinner together and teased Sunggyu about his inability to cook.

Slowly, but surely, he started putting his own life back together. He started finding other things to take his time and attention. There were times and moments when he would miss and think about Yunho, but he continued telling himself that this was for the best.

He rarely went home and whenever he did, he avoided holidays. He much preferred to visit his sisters more, causing the ire of his parents and the delight of his sisters. He kept in touch with his friends via weekly phone calls. They avoided the topic of Yunho each time and Jaejoong believed it was better that way.

He was slowly fixing himself.

After a year in Jeonju, Sunggyu proposed to Woohyun. The latter said “yes”. It was then that Jaejoong made the decision to finally move out and live on his own; he had imposed on the happy couple for too long and didn’t want to intrude during their honeymoon period.

Two years later, the couple adopted a 5-year-old Myungsoo. Jaejoong adored his new nephew. He helped out with babysitting, bringing him to and picking him up from school when the boy’s parents couldn’t.

He was set up on various dates by his cousin and his colleagues, but none have ever gone further than a casual dinner. They were all very nice and lovely men, but there was no spark, no connection. Jaejoong began to wonder if there was something wrong with him or if the universe just meant for him to be alone.

But, he didn’t let the whole thing bother him. He was healing. His heart was finally whole again. He had begun to love and put himself first.

For the first time since he was a teenager, Jaejoong was completely happy and satisfied with on his own.

He was alone but most definitely not lonely.

 

 


 

 

True to his word, Yunho kept his and Jaejoong’s relationship to merely that of friendship. He didn’t try to flirt or act suave or try to impress him in any way. He kept his hands to himself and avoided any type of skinship.

At the beginning, he would meet up with Jaejoong once a week to explore the town while the blonde showed him around all the hot spots. Jaejoong introduced him to the Kim-Nam couple and they forged a friendship with the lawyer, inviting him to dinner sometimes. Little Myungsoo had warmed up to him, calling him "Yunho-samchon" and always asking him to play soccer.

Three months later, Yunho had successfully assimilated into Jeonju life. It came to the point where he was no longer calling or texting Jaejoong, asking for directions or the names of places. They didn’t even meet up once a week anymore, since the lawyer was sometimes swamped with work or simply didn’t want to go out.

For some reason, Jaejoong felt a little bummed at that. He had begun to look forward to their little outings when he was showing Yunho the town. Now, he didn’t really need him anymore. Sometimes, he found himself missing the other when they haven’t spoken in days.

That was normal, right? Missing your friends when you didn’t talk for a while?

Jaejoong was beginning to wonder if this friendship thing was a good idea.

One night, while he was babysitting Myungsoo when Sunggyu and Woohyun were out on a date night, the little boy curled up in Jaejoong’s lap and asked, “Can Yunho-samchon come over tonight?”

Jaejoong’s eyes widened. “Any reason why?”

Myungsoo shrugged. “I miss him.”

Jaejoong missed him too but he wouldn’t say that to the little boy. “Well, he might be busy. And it’s late. Maybe another time, okay?”

The 7-year-old pouted, cutely, in disappointment. He had grown really fond of the lawyer.

“Yah, you really like your Yunho-samchon that much? What about me? Do you not like me anymore?” Jaejoong joked, trying to lighten the little boy’s mood.

“I like you, Jae-samchon,” Myungsoo answered. “But I like Yunho-samchon too.” He pursed his lips in thought as he got up from his uncle’s lap. He looked at him seriously with cute little eyes and said, “Can you and Yunho-samchon get married like Appa and Papa?”

At that, Jaejoong choked on his own spit as he stared speechless at the innocent-looking little boy.

“W-Why would you say that?” he stammered, his heart oddly beating fast.

Myungsoo shrugged again before grinning and whispering in a sing-song voice, “I know something you don’t.”

His mind still reeling from the little boy’s words, Jaejoong raised an eyebrow. “Oh? And what’s that?”

But, Myungsoo made a gesture with his lips as if zipping them. “It’s a secret.”

“Aw, come on, you can tell me,” Jaejoong goaded.

“I can’t, I promised Yunho-samchon not to tell.”

Now, he was curious. “Can you give me a hint?”

Myungsoo seemed to think it over before tilting his head in agreement. “Okay, but promise not to tell?”

Jaejoong held out his pinky. “I promise.”

The little boy linked their pinkies before nodding. “Okay. Here’s the hint.” He gestured for Jaejoong to lean closer so he could whisper in his ear. “When Yunho-samchon looks at you, it’s like how Appa looks at Papa when he doesn’t know he’s looking.”

It didn’t take more than a few seconds for Jaejoong to feel the blood instantly rushing to his cheeks. He was feeling lightheaded all of a sudden. And he could swear his heart skipped a beat; it had been doing that a lot lately when Yunho was involved.

“Y-Yah, what on earth are you saying, Kim Myungsoo?!”

The little boy giggled and jumped off the couch. “You have to keep it a secret!”

Then, he ran out of the room, still giggling to himself, and leaving his red-faced uncle on the couch.

 


A/N: Apologies for this being late! I have had quite a long week at work, the end of the month is usually so hectic, so I have been catching up on some much-needed sleep. 

So, there is good news and bad news. I'll start with the bad news. The bad news is that this story is coming to an end. **tears**

The good news is that, since I ended up writing more than I thought I would, I will be adding one more chapter to my planned chapters. So instead of one more chapter plus an epilogue, there will be two more chapters plus an epilogue! I felt like I needed to build up more to my planned ending rather than rushing it. Feelings can't be rushed, after all, so in order to get to my planned ending, I need a good path to get there. Another reason why this chapter was late was because I have been carefully planning how to execute the next chapters. This chapter was originally longer, but the final scene just didn't fit with the tone of the rest of the chapter so I am saving it for the next one.

Did you guys catch the reference to Yunho's radio interview about his ideal type? I thought it was appropriate! I just love Jaejoong's response and Yunho's resigned, "I'll go for Jaejoong then."

'Til the next one!