Chapter 12

All That Glitters

The move had taken three days to complete, but finally, Yunho was settled in his new apartment in the Jeonju province. Although it was considered a city, it was much smaller, less hectic than Seoul, and had a more rural feel. It was also much closer to home so he could visit, yet far enough that he could live independently.

The law firm he had transferred to was a General Practice Law Firm. It had disappointed his father a bit, who had wanted him to focus primarily on Criminal Law, but Yunho felt that his skills were much better suited for a wide variety of areas; he wanted to help as many people as he could. Besides, once he had enough experience here, perhaps he could open his own firm someday.

Someday.

But, for now, he would focus on getting settled and familiarizing himself with his new surroundings.

The day after he had finally finished arranging his furniture and unpacking all his belongings, Yunho had spent the entire morning lazing around in his apartment. By mid-afternoon, Yunho decided that it was time to get out and explore. 

He didn’t know anyone in Jeonju, but perhaps he could make some new friends. He also made a mental note to let Yoochun know that he had moved. In the hectic-ness of the last month, he had forgotten to tell his old friend where he was moving.

As he stepped outside and began to walk in a random direction, he noticed the once bright sky darkening. The clouds looked gray and ominous. Maybe he should have brought an umbrella. Or taken his car.

Well, too late now. He would just have to endure if it did rain.

Twenty minutes into his walk, it started pouring cats and dogs. Cursing to himself, he ran, squinting through the mist and fog to find a spot for cover.

His eye caught a nearby bus stop with a shed. He ducked underneath for cover. Popping his jacket collar to shield his neck from the cold wind, he waited for the rain to mellow down so he could run home.

It looked like he might be there for a while, though. The rain showed no signs of stopping any time soon.

 


 

 

The morning after his breakup with Jaejoong, Yunho had stormed into Yoochun’s house, begging the other to tell him where the other man was. But, Yoochun wouldn’t tell him.

“I made a promise to him, Yunho, I’m sorry,” he had said, only looking at his friend with pity.

“Yoochun, please! Please! I need to get him back! I need him!”

Yunho had begged and pleaded and cursed and threw tantrums. Yet, none of his friends nor Jaejoong’s parents would tell him where the latter was.

Devastated, Yunho had grown depressed. He stayed home in Gwangju and refused to go back to Seoul. His mother had to call the law firm to inform them that he was sick and would be unable to go come in for an indefinite time.

In fact, he almost got fired, if not for Seunghyun vouching for him.

For days, Yunho locked himself in his room, refusing to eat anything, see anyone, or talk to anyone. He stared at the ceiling, out the window, or at simply nothing, his mind blank. Jaejoong’s ring, which he found on the motel’s bedside table, was always in his grip. He kept a childish hope that if he rubbed it and wished fervently like it was some kind of Genie’s lamp, Jaejoong would come back to him.

But, the days went on and Jaejoong did not appear. He had changed his number and e-mail addresses. He deleted all of his social media accounts (not that he used them very much, to begin with).

He disappeared so quickly before Yunho’s eyes that he wondered if he had been merely a sweet dream. But, of course, there was evidence of his presence in Yunho’s life. And he wanted nothing more than to get him back.

A week passed like that.

Yunho's sorrow evolved into anger. He was angry. So angry that he practically destroyed almost everything in his childhood bedroom. He tore at photos and posters, threw books and toys, and punched the walls until they dented and left his knuckles bleeding.

He was angry at his friends for not telling him anything. He was angry at Jaejoong for leaving him when he promised he wouldn’t. He was angry at himself for being so weak. He was angry at the world for making him feel love and then snatching it away from him.

He was so angry that he had nearly thrown their couple rings out of the window.

It was Yoochun who brought him back with a hard punch to his jaw that knocked him off his feet.

“Stop being pathetic, Jung Yunho!” he growled at the groaning man sprawled on the bedroom floor. “You made this bed, you lie in it!”

“Jaejoong left me, Yoochun!” Yunho growled back, his face throbbing from the punch and his eyes wet with tears from the pain. “He left me! He told me he wouldn’t leave me, but he did! How am I supposed to feel?!” He let out a choked sob. “H-How could he l-leave me… j-just like that…”

His shoulders shook as he finally allowed the tears he had been holding to fall. He was angry. He was miserable. He was every bit the pathetic being his friend was calling him.

In front of him, Yoochun sighed.

“You of all people should know why Jaejoong did what he did,” he said in a soft voice. “It killed him for weeks, knowing what he was going to do to you. But, can you blame him?” He grabbed Yunho’s collar and shook him, his voice rising. “You hurt him first! You broke him! You made him become someone he didn’t recognize anymore! So, tell me, Jung Yunho, can you blame him for wanting to leave?! When every time he sees your face, he remembers how you betrayed him?! When every time he looks at that damn ring, he only remembers a broken promise?! When no matter how hard he tried, he couldn’t get over the fact that you cheated on him?! That he hadn’t been enough for you?!”

Yoochun released his collar and stood up. “He did this for the both of you. He needs time to fix himself and figure out his own path. And he’s allowing you to do the same. And in the event that you both meet again, do you want him to see you like this? Pathetic and pitiful? Fix yourself, damn it! Make yourself better! Show him that he has something better to come back to, if he ever decides that he wants to! Because if there is anything that I know is true in this world is that Jaejoong loves you so damn much. And this separation hurts him as much as it hurts you, but he’s trying to live with it. So get your off that floor, pack up, and go back to Seoul. Fix your life.”

All that Yoochun had spat at him were harsh, but they were the truth. Yunho knew that.

Everything that happened next was a blur.

Yunho vaguely recalled crying on the floor, Yoochun sitting cross-legged next to him and patting his back. Then, he had packed up, said goodbye to his family and friends, and left for Seoul.

Out of all their friends, Yoochun kept in touch the most, checking in on him every couple of days until he could finally wake up in the morning without feeling like . He rarely came home, only for important holidays and whenever his mother nagged him. Each time, he hoped that Jaejoong had come home too, that they would run into each other. But, by his fifth visit, he had lost hope of that ever happening; Jaejoong had disappeared.

It had been slow and there were a few setbacks, but soon enough, Yunho began to do just as Yoochun advised him.

So, he picked himself back up. He worked hard to make himself into a better man than he was. He stopped feeling sorry for himself and began fixing his life and all his mistakes.

Slowly but surely, he started letting go of the past and moving on.

 

 


 

The final bell of the day rang, signaling the end of school day. The scraping of chairs and mingling voices of children echoed in the slightly-cramped classroom.

“Don’t forget to do your assignments! See you Monday!”

“Yes!”

Smiling fondly, Jaejoong watched as his homeroom class packed up their things and headed out the door for their well-deserved weekend.

“Thank you, Saem!”

“Bye, Saem!”

He waved at each one as they passed him.

When the last student left, he took a deep, calming breath as he stretched his tired muscles. It had been quite a long day, yet satisfying. Even after five years, he had not regretted his choice of becoming a teacher.

After packing up his own things, Jaejoong headed for the staff room to drop off some materials. He stayed another hour, getting his lesson plans for next week ready as well as chatting with the other teachers.

Normally, he would have stayed longer, but he had to pick up Myungsoo that afternoon from his piano lessons at the music school a few blocks away. They were going to meet the boy’s father afterwards and he had to hurry; it looked like it was going to rain. He didn’t bring his car due to the promise that he would get a ride, but it looks like he shouldn’t have relied on that promise so much.

Outside the music school, a few kids and teenagers flitted about, getting ready to go home or waiting for their rides. Jaejoong’s eyes scanned the area until he found the dark curly mop of hair on a little 7-year-old boy, waiting patiently on a bench, his school bag clutched in his hands.

Jaejoong approached, calling for him. “Myungsoo-ah!”

The little boy looked up and smiled, happily. “Jae-samchon!” He got up from the bench and bounded over to him, arms open wide for a hug.

Jaejoong got down one knee to receive the hug. “How was school today?”

“It was fun!” He slipped a hand into the older man’s, who began to lead him away.

“That’s great! What about your piano lessons?”

“I learned a new song! I can’t wait to show Appa!”

Jaejoong chuckled. “I’m sure he’d love to hear it. Now, come. We’re supposed to meet your father after he’s done with work.”

Myungsoo flashed him a puppy look. “Can we buy ice cream, samchon? Please?”

Aish, this kid. He knew Jaejoong’s weakness. It was cold, but he wanted ice cream? Well, it wasn’t like Jaejoong could deny him anything. And they could wait for his father while the boy had his ice cream.

“Alright, let’s go.”

Myungsoo let out a cheer and began to tow him to the nearest ice cream shop.

The place was packed and had no open seats. It appeared that almost every child and teenager in the vicinity had the same idea and had flocked there after school. After all, it was the weekend. So, Jaejoong had bought the ice cream and they settled on a bench outside.

They waited half an hour until Jaejoong received a text saying that Myungsoo’s father was running late but he would be out to pick them up very soon. Jaejoong hoped that he would be quick because it appeared that the sky was not going to be very clear anymore, if the ominous gray clouds were any indication.

Unfortunately, luck was not on their side. Not even fifteen minutes later, it began to pour.

Myungsoo squeaked, lifting his arms over his head. “Samchon!”

Quickly, Jaejoong removed his suit jacket to drape it over the little boy before wrapping an arm around him and leading him away. He scanned the area for shelter and caught sight of the bus stop across the street. Seeing that there were no cars, he ran with the little boy under his arm towards it.

There was only one other person in the shed whose back was to them, which was just fine by Jaejoong. At least they wouldn’t have to fight for a spot.

“Are you okay, Myungsoo-ah?” he asked as he lifted his suit jacket from the little boy’s head.

Myungsoo shook his curly hair out and grinned toothily at Jaejoong. “I’m fine!”

“Good.” The teacher stared out at the rain. He could barely see a thing now. “Ahhh, doesn’t look like it’s stopping anytime soon. I’ll text your father and let him know where we are.”

He took out his phone and did just that, letting the other man know of their location and to be safe and careful while driving because of the downpour. Just as he was putting his phone away, the other stranger taking shelter with them spoke up.

And his voice was most familiar.

“J-Jaejoong?”

He felt his heart stop as he turned his head and finally caught sight of the other person. A person he had not seen nor spoken to in five years.

A person whom he had never forgotten in that time.

“Y-Yunho…”

 


 

Yunho had been standing under the bus shed for no more than five minutes when he heard other footsteps joining him. He paid them no mind, continuing to watch the rain outside, trying to estimate how long it would take until it would ease.

Was it worth it running through this to get back home? Perhaps, he could grab a taxi. But, he could barely see.

“Are you okay, Myungsoo-ah?”

Yunho's heart stopped.

That voice…

“I’m fine!”

“Good.”

He would recognize that voice anywhere…

“Ahhh, doesn’t look like it’s stopping anytime soon. I’ll text your father and let him know where we are.”

That voice haunted his dreams for the past five years. It was only in sleep that he could hear that sweet voice.

Hearing it once more felt like hearing music for the first time.

Slowly, he turned around.

His breath caught in his throat as he finally laid eyes on the other man texting on his phone.

It really was Jaejoong. But... he was a different Jaejoong.

Instead of the dark ebony locks that Yunho was accustomed to, his hair was now a dirty blonde, cut short with bangs falling stylishly over his forehead. Gone were the chubby baby fat in his cheeks; his face was leaner, sharper, yet no less handsome. He was dressed in a light blue button down, red tie, and black slacks, his suit jacket on the shoulders of the little boy next to him.

He no longer looked like a boy fresh out of college but a working adult man. Yet, he was still Kim Jaejoong. Yunho’s Jaejoong.

Could he still call him his? After all, it had been five years.

Perhaps, he had moved on.

Before he could stop himself, he called out the other's name.

“J-Jaejoong?”

He watched as the other man stiffened, his eyes wide in recognition before turning towards him.

“Y-Yunho.”

Hearing his name slip from those lips with the voice he missed felt like heaven.

Yunho found his lips quirking into a smile, his arms aching to take Jaejoong and hold him.

“Hi,” he managed.

“Hi,” Jaejoong replied, returning with a smile of his own.

The past five years had been good to him. He was still so very beautiful.

“Is… is this where you moved?” Yunho asked, as casually as he could.

“Y-Yeah. I’ve been living here five years.”

“Wow, so close to home. Maybe I should have tried to come home more often,” Yunho joked, then mentally slapping himself.

There was a reason Jaejoong had left him. It would be too much to bring the past up now. Not to mention, he just sounded like he was flirting.

To his relief, Jaejoong didn’t seem to take offense. He only chuckled and shook his head. “I haven’t been home much either. Umma has not been happy about that, but I’ve been busy with work. I teach at the elementary school nearby.” He gestured at Yunho with a hand. “What about you? Still in Seoul?”

“Ahh, no. I, uh, recently moved here, actually. Just three days ago, in fact.”

“Oh.”

Jaejoong’s brows furrowed and Yunho realized what he must have sounded like and backtracked.

“I happened to meet a lawyer at a conference a few months back, he owns a firm here in Jeonju,” he explained. “I had been planning on moving from Seoul for about a year at the time and was looking for a new place to work. I happened to mention it and he offered me a position. I liked the area and what his firm offered so I took it. And I figured I could be closer to home too so I can visit my parents.”

“Oh, is that so? Congratulations!”

The smile was back on Jaejoong’s face. It made Yunho’s heart soar. He couldn’t stop the longing he still felt, even after their breakup.

For the past five years, he had never given up hope that he would see Jaejoong again, that he would get another chance to apologize for all the pain he had caused him. And now, here he was, right in front of Yunho.

And it looked like Jaejoong had fared well in their time apart. He was smiling, genuinely again.

“You look good,” Jaejoong commented. “I see you cut your hair.”

Yunho subconsciously ran a hand through said hair, feeling shy all of a sudden. “Well, if you want to be taken seriously as a lawyer, you have to look the part.”

“It suits you.”

“Thanks. You don’t look so bad yourself.” He flashed a teasing smile. “Blonde hair?”

It delighted him to see a blush appear on the young teacher’s cheeks.

Jaejoong shyly looked down at the ground. “Long story.”

“Samchon.”

It was right then that Yunho was reminded that they weren’t alone. The little boy beside Jaejoong had his arms wrapped firmly around the teacher’s waist, his dark eyes watching Yunho, cautiously.

Jaejoong seemed to have realized it as well as he immediately did introductions. “Oh, Yunho, this is Myungsoo. Myungsoo-ah, this is a friend of mine, Yunho-shii. Bow and say ‘hello’.”

The little boy, Myungsoo, tilted his head a little and said, “Hello” in a small voice before burying his face against Jaejoong’s stomach.

Jaejoong laughed. “Sorry, he’s a little shy with strangers. We’re waiting for his Papa to come pick us up.”

They were waiting for the boy’s father? Was that normal for teachers these days? To wait with their students for their parents out of school grounds?

But, wait… He said “us”. The boy’s father was picking both of them up.

So… Did that mean…  Jaejoong and the boy’s father were close? Perhaps… they were together? It wouldn’t be so far-fetched. Single father falls in love with his son’s teacher and vice versa. There had been enough dramas and movies about it.

Yunho’s heart ached at the thought. Perhaps… he was too late.

Before he could inquire further, a new figure appeared.

“Hyung! So sorry!”

“Speaking of the devil,” Jaejoong said in a teasing tone.

“Papa!” The little boy detached himself from Jaejoong’s side to run up to the man who picked him up in his arms, hugging him and pressing a kiss to his forehead.

“Jae-hyung, I’m sorry for being late!” the new person said, walking up to the teacher. “The sous chef was late, we had a freakin’ party of fifteen come in just as I was finished with my last order and I couldn’t leave if Seokjin wasn’t there yet. And this rain, ugh!” He looked down at the little boy in his arms. “It made my baby all soaked!”

Jaejoong chuckled. “That’s okay, Woohyun-ah. We had fun, right Myungsoo?”

The little boy nodded. “Samchon bought me ice cream!”

“Yah! You’ll spoil your dinner! Jae-hyung!”

“Sorry, he was too cute. He used his eyes.”

The man, Woohyun, groaned. “You are too sneaky for your own good, kid!”

“It was just a little cup, Hyun. He’ll be hungry by dinner time.”

Yunho watched this all unfold before his very eyes. The way the two bantered back and forth. How the little boy looked at the two men with affection in his eyes.

They looked like a family.

Finally, Woohyun caught sight of him. “Oh, hello.” He bowed, politely and Yunho bowed back, not wanting to be rude.

“Yunho, this is Nam Woohyun. Woohyun-ah, this is Jung Yunho,” Jaejoong introduced.

Curiously, the other man’s eyes widened. “Jung… Yunho?” He turned to Jaejoong. “That Yunho?”

Jaejoong flashed him a glare. “Yunho just recently moved here,” he said, not answering the other’s question. “We were just catching up.”

Yunho felt a pang in his chest. So this guy knew about him. It was obvious that he and Jaejoong were close enough to have talked about him.

Meanwhile, Woohyun seemed to realize that awkward atmosphere he had inadvertently caused.

“Um… so it looks like the rain is slowing down. Wanna head out before it pours again? I parked nearby.”

Sure enough, they hadn’t noticed that the rain was no longer pouring like it was just a few minutes ago. Yunho could even catch a glimpse of the sun peeking out of the clouds.

“Yeah, let’s go.” Jaejoong turned to him with a smile. “It’s good to see you, Yunho. Really.”

No, he was leaving. Yunho couldn’t let him leave. Not without the reassurance that he would see him again. Now that they were so close to each other, he couldn’t bear to have that distance become great again. Taken or not, Yunho had to see him again.

“Wait, Jae!”

Jaejoong paused in his tracks, looking back at him, questioningly.

Yunho swallowed the lump in his throat. “Do you think we could meet up again? Just to catch up,” he added, quickly. “I don’t really know anyone around here.”

And then, he prayed to all the gods and deities that he knew of.

His prayers were answered as Jaejoong nodded and held a hand out. “Sure, let me give you my number.”

Yunho tried not to act too excited as he handed his phone over and watched as the other typed his number in.

“Just text me to let me know it’s you,” Jaejoong said as he returned the phone. “I tend not to answer unknown numbers so I don’t want you to think I’m ignoring you.”

Yunho nodded. “I will. Thank you.”

And with one last polite bow and goodbye, Jaejoong walked away, one hand holding little Myungsoo’s hand as the boy’s father held an umbrella over the three of them.

They truly looked like a family like that. Yunho’s heart ached at the sight.

Five years may have allowed him to accept his breakup with Jaejoong and move on with his life, but it didn’t mean he stopped loving him. In fact, he believed that he could never really truly love another as much as he loved Jaejoong.

But, now, he was back in Yunho’s life. And he prayed that this time, he was here to stay, even if it was just as a friend. Even if he no longer loved Yunho.

 


 

Jaejoong was invited to dinner so he sat at the kitchen table, watching Woohyun flit about as he made dinner. Sitting beside him was Myungsoo, working on his homework. Every now and then, the 7-year-old boy would tap Jaejoong’s arm and ask for help. Otherwise, Jaejoong remained silent and contemplative.

He still couldn’t believe that he had seen Yunho today, for the first time in five years. They had talked like old friends and no one burst into tears (namely, Jaejoong). He had been shocked to see him, yes. He even wondered if he had somehow finally pried the information out of one of their friends or his family back home.

But, no, he believed Yunho’s explanation that he had moved to Jeonju for work. It was all one huge coincidence. Somewhere, out there, some deity or higher power was playing games with them. Jaejoong wasn’t quite sure if he wanted to play along.

He had no idea how he was supposed to feel after seeing Yunho again. He had expected the pain to hit him full-force, but there had only been a dull ache. And, dare he say, a little longing. He was even surprised at how civil he had been. 

Jaejoong didn’t lie.

Yunho looked good. He always did. He had maintained his lean build, and Jaejoong could not ignore the toned muscles of his arms, evident through the thin jacket he had worn earlier. The boyish charm that Jaejoong remembered was gone, replaced by the mature air of a grown man. Yet, the familiar spark of mischief was still evident when he teased Jaejoong.

He had changed.

They both did. And in more ways than one.

Jaejoong couldn’t help but wonder if Yunho’s feelings had changed too. The lawyer seemed stable in his career now, proud even. He wondered if he had also moved on and found happiness like he had hoped he would all those years ago.

“If you keep staring at my kitchen wall, you’ll burn a hole through it.”

Jaejoong blinked at the sudden interruption of his thoughts and looked up at Woohyun.

“Sorry,” he managed.

Woohyun placed a hand on his hip. “For what? Trying to burn a hole in my kitchen or practically running away from Jung Yunho today?”

Jaejoong sighed, lifting a hand to squeeze the bridge of his nose, a sudden headache forming. “Woohyun-ah, please.”

There was a scrape of a chair as Woohyun sat down across from him.

“Hyung, you haven’t seen him in five years. If you had said so, I could have left you there with him so you could finally talk.”

“I… I wouldn’t know what to say…” Jaejoong sighed. “I did leave him, you know. Yoochun told me how he was after that time. How miserable and hurt and angry he was. I did that to him, Woohyun.”

“You did it for a reason, hyung.” Woohyun reached out to take his hand. “You were hurting after what he did to you. You tried your best to forgive him. He has to understand that.”

Jaejoong sighed. “I felt like I led him on,” he whispered.

“In a way you did,” Woohyun said, bluntly. “But I think a part of you would have regretted it if you didn’t try. Right?”

Jaejoong thought back on those months, all those years ago. The times when Yunho did everything he could in his power to get back in his good graces. How hard he tried to reassure him that he loved him. How many times he would apologize for the sin that would continue to haunt them.

He didn’t regret any of those times.

He nodded in answer to Woohyun’s question.

“Do you think… I should see him again?” he asked, quietly.

“Well, you did give him your number.”

“I panicked.” Jaejoong covered his face with both his hands in frustration. “I was trying to act all cool and nonchalant but I was a mess on the inside.”

“Well, how did you feel when you saw him?”

He peeked through his fingers at the other. “I don’t know. Shocked? Disbelief?” He bit his lip as he lowered his hands. “My heart skipped a beat,” he admitted in a low tone.

Woohyun tilted his head to the side. “Really, now?”

Jaejoong shook his head. “It was probably nothing.”

“What was nothing?” a new voice joined them.

At once, Myungsoo looked up from his notebooks and beamed at the figure standing in the kitchen doorway.

“Appa!” he exclaimed, leaving his chair and jumping into the man’s arms.

“Myungsoo-ah!”

“Welcome home,” Woohyun greeted as he stood up and approached the newcomer.

Jaejoong watched with a slight blush as the two kissed in greeting, the man’s free arm wrapping around Woohyun’s waist. Aish, this couple was so affectionate when it came to each other that they had no shame for public displays like that. It was cute, though.

“Hey, hyung,” the man greeted him.

“Hey, Sunggyu,” Jaejoong returned, smiling at his cousin.

Kim Sunggyu was a teacher too. A high school math teacher. Music was a mutual love of theirs but the younger had a fondness for numbers that led him down the path of trigonometry and statistics instead of rhythm and musical notes. Teaching was a profession and a calling that the two had shared since they were very young.

“So, what’s going on?” Sunggyu asked as he let Myungsoo down. “You two look like you were talking about something serious.”

Woohyun gestured at Jaejoong with his chin. “Ask hyung. Anyway, I’m going to give Myungsoo a bath.”

“Do I have to, Papa?” the little boy asked, wrinkling his nose. “I wanted to show Appa what I learned in piano class today."

“I told you to bathe when we got home, but you insisted on waiting for your Appa. Now that he’s here, let’s go, you can show him what you learned later. Babe, watch my soup. Turn the stove off in 5 minutes.”

He led the little boy out of the kitchen, leaving the two cousins alone to talk.

Sunggyu began to remove his suit jacket and tie as he settled himself on Myungsoo’s seat. He briefly looked at the boy’s homework.

“Aww, addition and subtraction,” he cooed. “Cute. And he got most of them right too! That’s my baby!”

Jaejoong chuckled. “You and Woohyun are really the same. Always a pile of goo when it comes to your son.”

“We can’t help it! Myungsoo is so cute!”

Quick as a flash, Sunggyu turned serious as he looked inquiringly at Jaejoong. “So… what happened today?”

Trust Sunggyu not to forget the matter at hand, even when distracted by thoughts of his son. So Jaejoong went ahead and told him what happened.

How he saw Yunho at the bus stop. That they talked. How Jaejoong gave him his phone number so they could meet up later.

“… I know I should have said more to him, but I really couldn’t think of anything!” Jaejoong moped. “It was like… my mind was blank. Plus, Myungsoo was there and then Woohyun came and I just… ran off.”

Sunggyu seemed to contemplate the situation, his analytical mind always working through problems like a well-oiled machine. Jaejoong could practically see the wheels turning on his head.

Whereas Woohyun always ran with his emotions, Sunggyu went with his mind. They often clashed in that regard and fought often, but they always made up later. It couldn’t be helped that Sunggyu was weak when it came to Woohyun.

“Are you still mad at him?” Sunggyu asked.

Jaejoong shrugged. “I guess a part of me still is. But, Sunggyu-ah, when I saw Yunho…” He felt himself smile a little. “My heart skipped a beat. I was… happy?”

“You were?” Sunggyu looked surprised at that.

Jaejoong shrugged again. “I guess I was happy to see that he was doing well. You know, I’ve always wondered if he was alright. I mean, we haven’t spoken since… I left. And I feel like asking Changmin and the others just seemed tacky.” He sighed. “He seemed happy… content.” His smile widened. “I’m glad.”

“So… you still worried for him after all these years? Even after… what he did?”

“Strange as it seems, I did worry.” He took a deep breath. “I think we’ve both managed to move on from the past.”

“Jae-hyung… have you moved on?”

The question caught him by surprise. “Yeah, I believe so.”

Sunggyu pursed his lips. “What exactly does ‘moving on’ mean to you? Like, does it mean you found someone else or the past no longer hurts you or you no longer love him or what?” He flashed an inquiring look. “You always say you’ve moved on, but you haven’t exactly dated anyone seriously in the last five years. All the blind dates we set up for you never lasted more than a few hours. So… what is it?”

Jaejoong hummed. “I guess… moving on, in this case… means… that I’ve let go of the past and embracing my future. I’ve accepted what happened and now, all I want is to keep moving forward.”

“Does it still hurt, hyung?”

“Maybe a little… Just a slight ache whenever I think about it. I don’t think that feeling will ever go away, you know? But, I’m choosing to let it go. Besides,” he smiled. “I’m happy with the way things are now. I love my job. You and Woohyun and Myungsoo have been my family while I’m away from Gwangju. Life is good… great, even!”

“So… does that mean that you’re ready to accept Yunho back into your life?” Sunggyu asked, seriously.

The question was one that Jaejoong had been ruminating on for the past two hours since they left the bus stop.

Was he ready? Could he look past the hurt and pain that Yunho had inflicted on him? The hurt and pain they inflicted on each other?

The scraping of the chair beside him broke his thoughts.  

Sunggyu had gotten up to shut off the stove, just as Woohyun requested. Jaejoong watched as he dipped a spoon into the simmering soup and tasted it, breaking into a smile. He really loved Woohyun's cooking.

“If you decide to meet him, hyung, I’ll support you,” the younger said to him, as he stirred the soup with a spatula. “But, if you don’t want to, I’ll support you too. Just do what you feel is best. I mean, you don’t have to jump into something with him, immediately. Just start slow. Start over. A clean slate.”

Just as Sunggyu finished talking, Jaejoong’s phone buzzed with a text.

He opened it to see an unknown number. For the second time that day, his heart skipped a beat as he read the text.

Hi, this is Yunho. It was great seeing you again! Save my number!

Starting over. A clean slate.

Could he do it?

 


A/N: I had thought about making this longer and not letting them meet until the next chapter, but then, I decided... nah. I wanted to get this out there now. As you can see, they have both led their lives just fine. They fixed themselves up and both are quite happy and content. 

So there is a special appearance here by Kim Sunggyu, Nam Woohyun, and Kim Myungsoo, the members of Infinite. I decided to make Myungsoo their son because he's always found in between them and although he's the second youngest, they mother him to death more than their actual maknae. If you've known me for a while, you know that before writing YunJae, I write mostly for WooGyu. YunJae had a short guest appearance in my WooGyu fic "Like A Tree" and so I only thought it fair that they have an appearance in a YunJae fic too. It was also inspired by the fact that Woohyun is a huge fan of Jaejoong. 

I know there are still questions about what happened during those five years, and all of that will be answered in the next chapter. You know what happened to Yunho after the last chapter and Jaejoong's will be revealed in the next. 

'Til the next one!