Chapter 14

My Symphony

“Where did you get these pills from?”

 

“It’s my friends why? I didn’t feel well, so I took some of these pills. It had a high dose so I thought it would make my headache away.”

 

“Solar~shi~~, you should never take these again. These are the strongest pain meds that usually treat cancer patients. There is also some pressure relieving meds mixed in here. Looking at the prescription, these were specially made for your friend.”

 

Solar could feel her face turning numb. Looking at the doctor’s face having nothing to say. “Cancer? No I think you’re wrong. I mean she looks perfectly fine!”

 

The doctor shifted his glasses. “I maybe wrong but these are usually to treat strong unbearable pain.” Solar was unable to express her emotions. They were all mixed up, all she could feel was the cold air blowing on her. She got up and left to the car. “I could see why they wouldn’t had wanted to tell you.” These words were left in her mind tormenting her.

---

Without realizing it, Solar drank the whole bottle of wine after throwing the meds into her bag. “How was I so blind.” Both of her hands caressed her face, while crying into them. A sudden vibration of her phone came on. She grabbed her phone in a rush.

 

“Attention! This is an urgent meeting. Tomorrow 1:00 P.M. sharp. Everyone must not be late.” She rolled her eyes facing her phone down.

 

“I will just play along as well.” Sipping the last bit of wine away.

---

A month had passed, Byul still hadn’t made up her mind yet. On the other hand Solar just met her new music producer and her wedding was coming up in about two weeks. Ever since the CEO made the announcement that Byul left things have been hard for Solar.

 

Everyday she was in and out of the studio recording and producing her songs to her liking. Finally today is her only rest day out of the whole month of working hard.

 

Solar heard her ringtone and rolled over to the otherside of the bed to get her phone. As soon as she saw the light from her phone her eyes flinched.

 

“Yong~Shi~~!“Godyonsun~~!” Wheein screamed through the phone waking her up.

 

“Wheeinie? What do you want so early in the morning.” Rubbing her eyes.

 

“Do you remember that one restaurant we used to go to after school?”

 

“Yeah I remember, why?”

 

“Meet me there at 1 p.m. You better come! Bye!” Wheein hung up quickly, before Solar got to ask her more questions. She threw her phone on her bed, wrapping herself in her blanket, snuggling up to go back to sleep.

---

“Byul! Please!” Hyejin insisted. “Wheein is putting in all this work and you’re not coming.”

 

“No! I object to even step inside.” She stubbornly said laying backing into her chair.

 

“You’re going weather you like it or not! It’s Solar’s celebration day of her marriage from three of her best friends! Got it!?” She proudly stated.

 

“But, we aren’t friends anymore Hyejin.” Byul depressingly said, then changed her mood. “I’m kidding, even though she resents me i’ll always be by her side.” Punching the lion’s arm.

 

“Good! We will practice so you get to know the restaurant a bit, so you won’t trip over anything, or do anything to let you secret be spilled.” She grabbed byul with a force and hugged her. “I’m so proud of you Byul.” She whispered in her ears.

 

As they parted, byul held hyejin’s hand following her. “Hyejin.” The lion looked at the girl. “Is Wheein going to be okay? I mean I know the last time she was supposed to come, she didn’t.” The mood got a pinch of sadness to it.

 

“Wheein~~ she was unexpec” She was cut off by Byul.

 

“Don’t lie to me. I know her too well.” She let out a smile. “I know she couldn’t see me in this state. She was probably crying her eyes out by herself…” She said quietly. “I need a beer.” She laughed she could feel  hyejin’s pitiful stare gleaming at her.

 

Hyejin let out a sigh. “Let’s go Byul.” Pulling Byul’s hand, leading her the way.

---

Hyejin and Byul left earlier so Byul could get a feel of the place, trying to memorize the steps and their location of their table.

 

Hyejin handed Byul her pills and a glass of water. She scooted it close holding the girls hand showing her where it was. “Krystal said she can’t come today, so i’ll be your guardian today.” Watching the girl gulp down her daily pills.

 

“Byul.” The girl replied nodding her head. “Did you ever change your mind yet.” There was a cold silence that hovered above them. “If you don’t want to talk about it then fine.” She let go of the conversation.

 

“Hyejin,” She paused. Hyejin looked over at the girl. “I’m actually getting surgery, on the day of Yong’s wedding. Then after that, I have to go back to America to recover.” She let out a sarcastic laugh and drank a sip of water. In her head all she could think about how her life was going to change, if she was going to remember anything. Not only that, she was afraid, afraid of the new her that might appear.

 

Unexpectedly Hyejin gave her a hug. She had tears of joy in flowing from her eyes. This was the first time Byul ever heard her cry, she usually was the tough one. “I’m so proud of you Byul. I really mean it. Thank you for changing your mind.”

 

The door opened without them knowing. “Wheein!” Hyejin screamed. “Guess what.” She held wheein’s hand tightly. “Our Byul finally changed her mind and is getting surgery.” She gave a big hug to wheein.

 

Byul face towards the sound of their voices. “It’s been a long time wheein. Were you hiding from me all this time.” Smiling at her. Wheein couldn't handle her mixed emotions when she looked at her friend. She ran out of the restaurant. Byul’s smile turned into a grin, Hyejin ran after her to comfort her.

 

Shortly after the door opened. Byul quickly stood up. Wheein~ah~~ I’m sorry.”

 

“Where is Wheein? I thought it was just us two.” Byul was startled by the voice she heard.

 

Byul suddenly changed her tone. “No, it’s all four of us.” She quickly sat down. Yong followed the path leading to Byul. Byul heard her sit down and imagined the chair she was sitting in. “Oh.. Congratulations Yongsun.” She awkwardly said.

 

“Thank you.” Yong opened her purse and took out the only thing that belonged to byul. Just listening to what it was, bul could tell it was her pills. “Here you go.” She handed it to her.

 

“You can throw those away.” Looking at her. “How did you get those anyways?” Questioning the girl, trying to investigate her.

 

“At the club, after you left a lady came out asking if it was mine. It was just a coincidence I saw your name on it.” She spoke bluntly not caring about her tone.

 

They sat in silence for awhile before the door opened. It was wheein and hyejin walking through the door. Hyejin had her arm around her shoulder comforting her while wheein wiped the last bit of her tears smiling. Byul and Young's head both turned towards them. Byul suddenly stood up, Hyejin walked towards her grabbing her hand to reassure her everything was alright. Hyejin linked arms with her and sat next to her.

 

Byul leaned into hyejin’s ear. “I don’t think I can do this hyejin.” Hyejin gave her a motivational prep talk telling her she can do it. Hyejin started the conversation between all of them.

 

“I think we should start ordering because our water is getting warm.” Hyejin joked. She noticed everyone looked gloomy and unhappy. “What’s up with everyone. You all look so depressed, it’s killing the mood. Come on guys cheer up, we are celebrating Yong’s wedding.”

 

Everyone laughed. “Wheein.” Byul called out. “Were you hiding from me again.” She jokingly said. “Wheein, I’m dying did you know that.” Byul paused. “Because I missed you so much. It’s nice to see your face again.” Wheein smiled at the girl punching her in her arm, even though byul couldn’t see she could imagine the girl.

 

“Stop with the greasiness Byul. You’re killing me.” Hyejin said while sticking her finger in puking. The mood was finally brightened.

 

Finally the food came out. Hyejin whispered to Byul to where her utensils were at. “Yongsun!” Byul called out. Solar looked up at her. “It feels like forever since i’ve called out your name.” Her smiled slowly turned into a grin. “I’m happy for you. I’m really happy for you. I’m glad to have met you…, and… watch you go to the next step in your life.” She tried to hold back her tears biting her tongue. “Thank you guys for being my friend. I really appreciate it. I will always love you guys even if anything ever happens. You all will forever be in my heart living in it with every beat.” She smiled, while making a toast. Yongsun gripped her fists trying to hold back her emotions.

 

Wheein saw Solar gripping her fists, knowing she was getting emotional. Wheein was just saddened that Yong didn’t know Byul might not remember them especially Yong. She thought Yong doesn’t even know that they’re going to lose their friendship with the girl. Wheein secretly wiped her tears trying to cope with the fact of losing one of her best friends.

 

“Ehhm..” Wheein cleared . “I just wanted to say wherever we may go in life in the future. I want you all to know I love you very much. Very much… And... “ She took a deep breath in. “And.. If anything ever happens to you in the future… Don’t forget I will always be here supporting you on your side. You guys are my only family since I didn’t have one growing up.” She wiped her tears. “Ahh.. I’m sorry I didn’t even know I was crying.” She laughed a bit. “Let’s drink till we drop.” She joked.

 

Byul wiped her tears drinking the toast wheein gave. “I love you Wheein.” Wheein grabbed her hand and squeezed it tightly.

 

“It’s my turn.” Hyejin awkwardly said. “To my lovely friends that I have cherished my whole life. I love you guys to the moon and back. I will take a bullet for you guys, you already know. You guys are my life.” She looked at all three of them. “I wish we could get together and hand out more often, but we all have our own lives. To my idol Solar. I am so happy to see you and your future husband get married. I will support you every step of the way. Congratulations my best friend to your marriage and your newly open door.” Yong looked at hyejin thanking her for her kind words.

 

“Thank you my friends fr doing all of this for me, and even renting out this place for us to hang out. I really do appreciate you guys in my life. Come on and let's drink and have fun!” Everyone lifted their cups except byul” Hyejin nudged her to lift her cup.

 

“Oh.. sorry.” She lifted her cup. “Cheers!” They all screamed. Luckily the restaurant still had their karaoke machine still working. After drinking and eating wheein and hwasa karaoke while yong and byul stayed back relaxing.

 

“Byul.” Yong called out. Byul looked towards the girl. “I heard you quit the company.”

 

Byul nodded smiling. “Yeah. I just wanted to take a break.” Drinking some beer.

 

“Byul~ah~~ Are you okay?” Yong threw out there.

 

Byul felt something was up, she turned towards the girl. “I’m perfectly fine, but why are you asking me such a question. Are you okay?” She turned the question to her now. Byul could feel a weird feeling that just didn’t feel right.

 

“I’m okay. Good as usual.” Yong drank some beer, even though Yong can barely drink she drank half the can and turned red already.

 

Byul knew Yong was drinking a little too much than she could handle by the sound of it. “Solar you should stop drinking. You’re getting drunk.” Glaring at the girl with all seriousness.

 

“I know myself i’m fine. Don’t tell me what to do.” Byul knew she could do nothing about it so she backed off. Wheein and Hyejin came back after singing a few songs.

 

“Byul what did you do to Yong” Wheein joked. Wheein took a shot of soju. “Byul i’m gonna miss you so much. Who is going to drink with me now? Hyejin isn’t a heavy drinker like you and me.” She caught herself accidentally. “I mean i’m gonna miss us hanging out like this drinking after Yong gets married because we barely even hang out anymore.” She felt accomplished being sly. She looked at hyejin and gave her a wink. Hyejin couldn’t hold in her laughter of wheein.

 

“I’m going to miss you too wheein! But, are you drunk?” Byul laughed out loud scrunching her nose. “Thank you everyone. I really cherish you guys.” Fist bumping wheein and hyejin.

 

The door opened with the bell ringing through the whole restaurant. “Ohh.. Krystal!! You came!” Hyejin loudly stated.

 

“I actually came. But I actually came for business.” She joked. She grabbed byul’s hand. “Sorry guys, but I need to take my lovely Byul away from you guys. You guys can have her back tomorrow I promise.” She helped grab Byul’s things and put it on her shoulder.

 

“Krystal why do you have to take our precious Byul away from us. We were just starting to have fun.” Wheein sadly whined. “Right Wheein. If she’s on her feet too much walking around, no wonder why she has an athlete's foot.” Byul's eyes popped out after hearng hyejin. Byul couldn't even make a comeback because she was so suprised.

 

“Sorry guys but Byul really has to go home with me. I’m too afraid of the dark. I need a strong woman to save me.” Krystal joked to them, but really they were going to the hospital to get some check ups before the surgery.

 

“Oh my god.” Hyejin spoke bluntly. “Okay, take her out of here before you both kill my beautiful soul.” Yong was a bit flustered and embarrassed. Everyone was close to Krystal except for her, she just felt like an outsider.

 

“Wait!” Byul insisted. “Krystal can you take our picture. Pleaseee my wife.” Byul teased handing her, her camera.

 

“Okay. Okay my husband.” She grabbed the camera from Byul taking their pictures. “Byul I want a picture too.” She whispered in her ear.

 

Byul couldn’t hold in her laughter. “All right then let’s take a selfie of all of us then.” Yelling out to everyone. “1...2...3… Alright! Let’s go Krystal.” She held her hand to be guided out. “Bye guys! Let’s hang out again! Promise me!” Everyone waved goodbye.

 

“Yong let’s drink till we die uhh!!! Cheers to you and your future husband!” Wheein and Hyejin cheered. Yong drank till she dropped, it was her first time drinking a great amount of alcohol over her tolerance. She passed out on the booth.

 

“Wheein I have to tell you something.” Hyejin spoke sympathetically. “Byul is really getting surgery. She finally changed her mind for us.” She happily chanted. Wheein was so happy she hugged hyejin so strongly.

 

“Really! I am going to be there for her every step of the way. But.. does Yongsun unnie know yet. Why doesn’t byul just tell her.” Whispering just incase Yong might wake up.

 

“It’s on her wedding day. Byul said she’ll come for the first half but leave afterwards, so she can’t stay long. Also I know byul doesn’t want to hurt her again, it’ll be too much for her to intake, I mean look how long it took you to finally face her.” hyejin squeezed Wheeins hand. “I understand her, but sometimes I don’t. It’s her life, her decision so we just have to deal with it.” Wheein leaned her head on hyejins shoulder.

 

Wheein called Eric Solar’s finance to pick her up since she out. He finally arrived. “Hello eric.” They both greeted. “I’m sorry we are giving her to you like this. Our only friend that can’t drink a sip of alcohol before she’s drunk.” They laughed it off.

 

“It’s fine! She’s going to be my wife soon, no wife no life. I’m going to start having to take care of her, she’s my world. Nice meeting you guys, see you at the wedding!” He carried her out and shortly left.

 

“I wonder how it would have been if Byul and Yong were still together.” Wheein remineced as hyejin put her arm around her shoulder.

 

“Who knows. Come on let’s get going, it’s getting dark. I’ll take you home.” hyejin grabbed their things and got a taxi for both of them.

---

“Krystal does everything look good.” Sitting in her patient gown at the hospital. “I changed my mind for you, so you better give me a big present when I wake up from surgery.” Annoying the girl.

 

“Everything is good. That cyst hasn’t grown since, so I guess the pressure relieving meds helped.” Holding byuls hand. “I can’t wait for the surgery to be done so everything will go back to normal.” She hugged the pitiful girl. “Yah! Byul cheer up! You’ve been dreading this day ever since and now you’re finally doing it” Smacking her arm.

 

Byul gave a grin towards her. She pulled out the pictures she took with her friends and gave them to Krystal. “Can you put these in my memory book for me. Please.” Whining like a baby. Krystal grabbed them and put the final touches in the book finishing them.

 

Byul suddenly grabbed Krystals arms holding them leaning her head on her shoulder. “Krystal if I ever forget anything when I wake up, give this book to me and explain my life to me.” Krystal nodded trying to hold back her tears. “Are you crying Krystal. Don’t cry promise me.” Byul held out her pinky waiting for krystal to interlock it as she did.

 

“Krystal I have a favor to ask.” Waiting for her reply.

 

“Tell me. What is your wish. Your best genie will grant it. I’ll try to be like jessica.” She imitated her sister dancing to genie while both of them laughed it off.

 

“On the day of my surgery before it starts can I go to Yong’s wedding. Please. I just have to give her my gift, and then we can leave.” Krystal gave it some thought, but she was unsure because she was supposed to stay in the hospital a whole 24 hours before the surgery is performed.

 

“Under one condition. You come back to America to finish your treatment to fully recover, then after two years you can come back to live your life however you want. Deal?”