New possibilities

Seven Personalities
That night, Hoseok sits in the living sipping a cup of coffee as I prepare to sleep.
 
“Good night,” he says as I emerge from brushing my teeth.
 
I nod. “You too,” I return the greeting.
 
In my room, I sit at the desk checking through my emails and other news for the day. I also update my planner on tomorrow’s schedules, not forgetting to set a reminder for the trip I have to make to the real estate agent’s office.
 
Thud, thud, thud-thud.
 
I look away from my computer to stare a hole through the wall separating my room and the living room. The stomping of feet comes again in a steady rhythm. I listen for a good three minutes and occasionally, I hear the sound of collision against furniture. Curious, I head out.
 
With earphones plugged in, Hoseok dances in the little space of the living room to music only he can hear. He flings his hand out and hits the coffee table. I flinch at his pain but he remains unaffected by it as he continues dancing in his own world. Leaning against the wall, I watch with my arms crossed, fascinated by his passion and energy even at this time of the night. From his fluid movements, it’s as if I can almost see the music flowing through him.
 
Hoseok suddenly pauses mid-spin and snapping out of my trance, I realise that he’s staring at me.
 
“When did you come out?” He asks, pulling out his earbuds.
 
I shrug. “I saw you attack the coffee table.”
 
“Did I wake you?” He smiles sheepishly. “Sorry.”
 
“I wasn’t sleeping yet,” I say. I organise my thoughts for a moment. “Hoseok-ah, I’ve been studying the layout of the living room for the past few minutes. I think we should move the TV to that side and that thing to that side, then we can make more space in the middle.”
 
“… What…?” Hoseok blinks.
 
I blink back. “You don’t think it would work?”
 
Hoseok shakes his head. “I mean, that was such a random suggestion.”
 
“I’m just worried the neighbours might report a break-in if they hear too much commotion at midnight. Also, that coffee table is glass.”
 
He laughs. “I’ll see what I can do with the furniture tomorrow morning. Go to sleep, Hyekyung. It’s late.”
 
“I’ve survived on less sleep before,” I tell him, rolling my eyes. “If you’re going to continue dancing we might as well clear up the space now. It’ll be easier with two of us anyway.”
 
“I’m done for today,” he says. “Go to sleep unless you want to cake on makeup to cover up those dark circles tomorrow morning. I’ll be in the room.”
 
I sigh dramatically. “If you say so.” Retreating back into my room, I pass out into my bed before my head even hits the pillow.
 
“Hyekyung-ah, wake up.”
 
“Hmm…”
 
A gentle hand shakes me awake. “You’re going to be late for work.”
 
“Work…?” I sit upright too quickly and my head spins with a blood rush.
 
A sigh. “Your alarm has been ringing for the past twenty minutes.”
 
From my sitting position, I roll over to lie down again. “Five more minutes, Hoseok…”
 
“But I’m not Hoseok?”
 
My brain refuses to register the new day. “Then who are you?” I ask without opening my eyes.
 
He chuckles instead of answering my question. “I made breakfast. Hurry come out.” With my eyes still closed, I hear my door open and close.
 
I take a deep breath and stretch out my body. Digging around in my cupboard, I pull out a casual outfit of t-shirt and jeans for the day. I drag my feet across the hall towards the bathroom with half-opened eyes and through my sleep-filled vision, I see the rough outline of someone with broad shoulders standing in the kitchen. I don’t make much out of it and quietly wash up and prepare for another dreaded day of work.
 
“Good morning,” a peppy voice greets when I finally come out fresh from the shower.
 
“Good morning…” I try to connect the familiar face with a name. “Jin-ssi!” My eyes flit to the living room and I notice that the arrangement of furniture has not moved an inch.
 
“Yes, it’s me.” Jin smiles as brightly as I remember from the last time I met him. “I made pancakes.”
 
“Oh! I’ll be right back.” Back in my room, I quickly slab on some makeup and bring my work bag out before taking a seat at the dining table.
 
Jin stacks a couple of pancakes onto a plate for me and slides the maple syrup over. He sits opposite me with a similar plate of breakfast.
 
“When did you wake up?” I ask. I really wasn’t expecting Hoseok to fall asleep since he was up for only half the day yesterday.
 
“This morning,” Jin answers. “Hoseok must have been really tired, he fell asleep in the middle of journaling.”
 
I nod with a mouth full of food, but something catches my eye. Reaching over, I grab Jin’s hand and pull his arm across the table to inspect the bruise on the back of his wrist.
 
“This is—”
 
Jin hurriedly pulls back his hand. “Must have bumped into something while cooking.”
 
A question invades my mind but I hesitate on asking. “You all share the same physical body,” I say, mostly to myself. “Only your appearance changes.”
 
“Hyekyung-ssi—”
 
“That was where Hoseok hit the table last night. The only way you’re carrying that bruise is if you share the same physical body. This means that somehow, your whole appearance changes but…”
 
Jin sets his fork down on the table softly. “You’re right. But it’s not that big of a deal, is it?”
 
I look up and meet his eyes. “Is it not? I don’t know. I just thought that literally the actual body changes… Now that I’m thinking about it, it doesn’t really make sense.” I sigh.
 
“Nothing about us makes any sense,” he says with a hint of defeat in his tone. “Come on, finish your breakfast and I’ll send you to work.”
 
Instead of taking the bus like I usually do, Jin swipes the car key off the shoe cabinet by the door and leads me to where Yoongi’s—their—car is parked. He pulls out with the skills of a seasoned driver and soon enough, we’re on the way to my workplace.
 
“I heard you’re having problems at work,” Jin says directly.
 
I furrow my eyebrows. “From Yoongi oppa?”
 
“You’re calling him oppa?”
 
“Keep your eyes on the road!”
 
“Why are you already calling him oppa?”
 
“Does it matter? I thought you were asking about my job.”
 
Jin pulls the break at the red light. “I was, until I heard you call Yoongi ‘oppa’. You called Hoseok by name too. Why am I still ‘Jin-ssi’? And to think that we’ve known each other for the longest time.”
 
“Now you’re exaggerating. Namjoon-ssi is Namjoon-ssi, too.” I roll my eyes. “What should I be calling you, then?”
 
He answers within a heartbeat. “Call me ‘oppa’ too. I’m a year older than Yoongi.”
 
“Jin oppa.”
 
A look of satisfaction plasters itself on his face as he steps on the accelerator at the green light.
 
“Also,” I continue, “you don’t have to worry about my work. All’s fine.”
 
“Losing your job doesn’t cut as being fine, Hyekyung-ssi.”
 
“I’m already calling you oppa, so drop the honorifics already.”
 
“Oh, right.” He grins. “Hyekyung, Yoongi also mentioned something about Seyoon.”
 
I don’t say anything because I don’t know what to say. Yoongi’s words come back to me and I remember how he’d told me that Jin and Seyoon kind of had a huge falling-out.
 
“He’s not the most professional guy to be working with,” he says.
 
I snort. “What is professionalism.”
 
Jin laughs. “I swear he used to be a nice-ish guy.”
 
“Don’t speak for him. Besides, he might as well just fire me already. I can’t even stand the sight of him, what more is his work attitude?”
 
“Do you want to work for me instead?”
 
“Eh?”
 
Jin swiftly pulls over in front of the café. “I’ll take the job posting off the internet first but take your time to think about it.” His gaze suddenly focuses on something behind me and following him, I see Seyoon standing at the door staring at me.
 
“Sh—” I stop myself from cussing out loud.
 
Jin looks away as if he hadn’t just seen the man who used to be his best friend. “What time are you ending work? I’ll come fetch you.”
 
“I have an appointment after this,” I tell him, omitting the fact that I would be meeting the owner of my potential new house. “I’ll see you at home tonight?”
 
He nods disappointedly. “See you tonight, then.”
 
Climbing off the car, I watch as his car disappears down the street before I enter the café.