A blind date

Seven Personalities
Outside, rain pitter-patters softly as a gentle ballad fills the interior of the café. The smell of coffee warms up an otherwise stuffy afternoon.
 
“Welcome!” I greet with a wide smile as another customer walks in. His long fingers clumsily ruffle water droplets off his pinkish blond hair.
 
The customer strides up to the counter and furrows his eyebrows as he studies the menu board overhead. “I’ll just have an iced americano.”
 
“One iced americano,” I repeat his order and get his confirmation. He passes over a couple of bills to pay for his coffee. “Thank you, please wait over at the collection counter.” I smile again as I hand him his receipt.
 
“Thanks,” he says before hesitantly returning the smile. His cheeks dimple even with just that small upcurve of his lips. He takes his change and receipt before disappearing to the side.
 
Turning back to the cash register, I’m about to close my session when the same customer slowly shuffles over, his eyes fixed on the display case.
 
I blink at him. “Can I get you anything else?”
 
He looks up and meets my eyes for a split second before quickly averting his gaze. Clearing his throat, he points shyly at something in the display. “Can I get a slice of that strawberry cake too, please.”
 
“Sure thing. Are you having it to-go?” I ask without looking up as I key in his order. One second, two seconds. No response. “Takeaway, sir?” I look up and only now do I see him nod.
 
Well, well. Isn’t this a whole new level of shy?
 
With another exchange of money and receipt, the customer returns to the collection counter and grabs his orders before leaving the café. I watch his back until he vanishes from my vision.
 
“Kyung, don’t you have to leave soon?” My co-worker and best friend, Hani, comes up from behind me.
 
I glance up at the clock. “Oh no! Hans, the counter’s all yours now,” I say before dashing for the back room. I pull my apron off and throw it into my locker as I take out my change of clothes.
 
Seven minutes and a quick touch-up of my makeup later, I skip out of the café towards my next destination. I figured I might be late if I take the bus so I turn into the subway station instead. While waiting for the train to arrive, I check my outfit one last time through the glass reflection of the safety doors. I’d chosen to wear a pair of light denims with a nice blouse, nothing fancy. It’s not like wearing a nice dress would guarantee me a pass on a blind date anyway. Sighing, I board the train as it pulls into the station and quietly sit the two stops ahead.
 
Standing in front of yet another café, I hesitate. An ominous feeling falls upon me. Just because a close-ish friend set this up doesn’t mean I have to really turn up, right? But deep down, something tells me I would regret it if I walk away now. Holding my breath, I step in.
 
I order a small drink and take a seat by the window as I wait for my date to come. I sent him a message a few minutes ago but he hasn’t replied. It’s about five minutes left to our arranged time.
 
Five minutes, ten minutes… twenty minutes… twenty-five minutes, and not even the shadow of the man.
 
Just ten more minutes, I tell myself. I’ll wait just ten more minutes.
 
Draining my drink to its last sip, I put the cup down a bit harder than I meant to and stand up. A tall frame blocks my exit as I try to leave.
 
“Lee Hyekyung-ssi?” A breathless voice calls my name. “Sorry I’m late.”
 
I roll my eyes, look up, and… Oh? It’s that shy customer from earlier. Or is he not? I mean, of course he’s not. This man looks totally different and yet, they look the same…?
 
“Kim Seokjin-ssi?” Black hair, broad shoulders, tall and handsome, I think I might just forgive him for his tardiness.
 
He smiles. “You look a lot prettier than in pictures,” he compliments.
 
“You’ve seen my pictures?” I ask, sitting back down. Kim Seokjin takes the seat opposite me. Guess I was the only one who came not knowing what to expect. “But thank you. You look quite handsome, too.”
 
Seokjin smiles, and a flash of familiarity hits me. No, no. That customer had cute dimples. Also, he had light hair! How can they possibly be the same person?
 
I clear my throat. “Haven’t we met somewhere else before?” I ask cautiously.
 
“I’d remember such a pretty face if we’ve met before,” he answers, laughing.
 
“Haha, yeah right?” I breathe a sigh of relieve. “I just thought you look like someone I saw earlier.”
 
Seokjin’s face falls. “Definitely can’t be me, then. It’s my first time coming out this week.”
 
“You mean you’ve been home the whole week?” My jaw drops. “Don’t you have to work?”
 
“Oh, uh…” He struggles to look for a response. Was my question too direct? “I’m on vacation.”
 
I nod. “That’s nice. So, what do you do at home?”
 
“Nothing much, just the usual cleaning and all that. What about you, Hyekyung-ssi?”
 
It was an awkward change of subject, but I catch up easily. “I’m working part-time at a café downtown. It’s my school holidays now so… might as well make good use of the free time.”
 
Seokjin’s face lights up again. “I heard you’re in university. Isn’t it tough, studying?”
 
“Not so bad,” I say. “I’m graduating end of this year.”
 
“Cool, that’s—oh! Look at me. Can I get you something to drink?” He asks suddenly.
 
I blink once, twice. “An iced caramel macchiato would be nice, thank you.”
 
“I’ll be right back!”
 
With another smile, he runs off to order our drinks. Watching his back, I think of the shy customer again. I shake my head to clear my thoughts. They’re both obviously two different people, but why do I keep putting them together? Such distinctive visuals and characteristics but yet…
 
“A penny for your thoughts?” Seokjin asks, waving a hand before my face.
 
“Oh, sorry. Must have spaced out for a moment.” I take my drink from him and smile. “Thank you.”
 
“Don’t worry about it.” Seokjin takes a sip of his hot coffee. “By the way…”
 
In the midst of our random conversation, time flies and the sun sets before we know it. I glance at my watch.
 
“Do you have to go back soon?” Seokjin asks.
 
I nod. “I have to be home soon for something.”
 
“I see.” A small frown lines his lips. “Well it was nice getting to know you today. Can I call you out again some other time?”
 
“Sure, I guess.” Picking up my bag, I stand. Seokjin mirrors my action and together we walk out into the now cool evening.
 
“I—,” He starts and stops abruptly, as if reconsidering what to say. “Is it too early to offer to send you back?” He rubs the back of his neck awkwardly.
 
I laugh. “It’s just a short bus ride from here,” I tell him. “So, see you again?”
 
Seokjin smiles and nods. “See you again. Soon.” And with that, I turn and head my way back.
 


A/N: It's been a while since my last fic but I'm feeling all fired up now so here I am with another attempt at writing. Also, before anyone tells me that DID doesn't really work this way, this idea is not entirely based on having split personalities. This is kind of more inspired by the movie Beauty Inside.