The Encounter

The Encounter

One afternoon, Jongdae decided to go to a café that his friends suggested to him. He walked down the streets looking for the said café. A delicious aroma of coffee stopped him from walking. Closing his eyes, he inhaled the smell warming his body. It smelled different from the other brewed coffee, there is something unexplainable in it. Just the smell has given him some sort of satisfaction. No, not satisfaction. Maybe even made him crave for more. He wanted to taste it. Jongdae opened his eyes and followed the smell. The aroma leads him to a small café, fortunately, it is the café that his friends suggested. It is as if it’s a hidden paradise in the middle of the city. He looked up and read the name, “What U Need Café. Pretty fancy, huh?” He shrugged then fixed his hair.

Ding-a-ling. 

The bell rang as he pushed the glass door in front of him. There are not many customers, just a few people. He closed his eyes to inhale the aroma once again. Suddenly a waiter came, “Good afternoon, sir!” The guy greeted him cheerfully, startling him for disturbing his little world. The waiter was a bit smaller than him, he was a slim and feminine-looking guy. He smiled and nodded. Roaming his eyes, he scanned the whole place.

Nice.

He said to himself. He approached the cashier and saw another feminine-looking guy, his face is circular, his eyes are slanted but circular at the same time, his lips are plump. He is cute, no, he's beautiful. Jongdae was mesmerized, he couldn't take his eyes away. He opened his mouth but he couldn't say anything. His heart is uncontrollably beating fast. “Good afternoon, sir.” The other smiled. But still, he couldn't look away. “Sir, staring is rude.” The cashier guy playfully. “Hi..hi..” He greeted back awkwardly, he looked at the other's tag, Minseok. The said Minseok giggled, “So, what's your order, sir?”

 

“Uh... One Iced Americano and a piece of chocolate cake.”

 

“To go?”

 

He shook his head. The guy gave him a number and told him to wait for the whole of they are preparing his order. He sat on the table by the glass wall. He made himself feel comfortable and then he crossed his slim legs. Jongdae scanned again the area. It was pretty small, filled with comfy-looking couches, glass coffee tables reflecting the lights hanging around, bookshelves full of interesting books, and a free speech wall. They played soft music and he hummed along. The smell of coffee blended with the air. He loved the aroma. All of a sudden he remembered that he has so much work to do. When will they give us some free time? They need to give us a break. He said to himself. Just the thought of the works is giving him a headache. He massaged the bridge of his nose and let out a deep sigh.

“Having a hard time?” A familiar voice asked him.

“Yeah.” He replied. He looked up and saw the cute cashier guy with the tray of his orders. Minseok was smiling at him. He watched the other placing the tray on the table and sat across him. “Hi. I’m—” Minseok attempted to introduce himself but Jongdae cut him off. “Minseok.” 

 

“How did you—” He pointed at the other’s name tag, cutting him off. 

 

“Oh.. right. I’m Kim Minseok but you can call me Xiumin.” Minseok stretched his hand for a handshake and gave him a gummy smile. Cute. He said to himself. 

 

“Kim Jongdae, everyone calls me Chen.” He took the other's hand. It was soft. It's as if to wants to squeeze him. He let go I the other's hand when he realized that he has been holding it for a while. “H-hey, aren't your boss going to get mad at you if you stay here?” 

 

Xiumin giggled. “I own this café.” 

 

“Oh.. okay. So, it's okay?” The other nodded in reply. He started to feel nervous again. He looked at the other who is smiling. He is cute. He thought. Should I ask him out? Would it be nice? Right. I should ask him out.

 

He gathered himself together and spoke, “Uhh... I know it sounds weird but is it possible to get your number? I mean I find yo- maybe can we gra..- I think I like you alr—”

 

“Are you asking me out?” Minseok laughed. 

 

“No— I mean yes, yes. If you don't want to, it’s okay—”

 

Minseok laughed again and wrote

 something on a tissue. 

 

“Okay. But for now, I need to go.” The other said and gave it to him as he stood up. 

 

‘008-9XX-XXX- XXXX’

 

  He gave him his number.