Prologue: The beginning

Witch Doctor Jae

Prologue

 

         The rain pours heavily upon the city of Seoul as darkness shrouded the city in darkness. Amid the silence of the night, a loud screeching could be heard as a car attempts to break but it was no use. When the car did stop, it was too late.
Laid in its path is a young boy, possibly 15 year of age. From the look of it, the car had struck him head on. He was bleeding heavily from the impact as his blood mix in with the rain. Everything happened so fast that he barely felt himself got hit or when his body flew into the air and hit the pavement. In fact, he is still in completely shock, that he could barely feel the pain that is now traveling throughout his body. He could only gaze up into the darken sky as rain touches his face. He tries to move his body but couldn’t, he try to speak but his vocal has been cut. His vision was fading in and out of darkness as he felt like this is it, this where his life will come to an end. He could heard people gathering and the driver shaken but making a call to the police. But as seconds pass, those voices starts to fade as keeping his eyes open became impossible. He isn’t sure if this is normal but right at this moment, he could hear his own heart beat become slower as breathing became harder. Everything he regrets floods his mind as he wishes that he had more time to undo the things he had done, to fix what he had broken. Just as he is about to close his eyes, something floats pass his line of vision. It was a few white sparks shining beautifully like twinkling stars as a hand touches his forehead.
His vision has become a blur making it impossible for him to see clearly.

“Everything will be alright…” a deep and husky voice ring loudly into his ear. It was gentle and soft, soothing to his ear. Right before his vision became dark he manages to see one thing that will forever be engraved into his mind. That one thing was the warm and beautiful smile of the person who saved his life.

                              

12 years later……

The sound of an alarm clock ring throughout the bedroom as a hand reaches from under the blanket to turn it off. This person groans a bit before forcing himself to sit up as the blanket slide down to his waist revealing the well-toned torso. He yawned before reaching for his cell phone charging by the table near his queen size bed. Right on the screen is a reminder causing him to completely wake up as he quickly tosses the phone aside and went to go take a shower. He cleansed his face and combed his hair before checking both side to make sure everything is perfect. Once that is done, he returns to his room and opens his walk in closet to choose his outfit. He slips one hand through the sleeve before slipping the other hand through the other sleeve. He pulls the shirt over his shoulder to cover the scar on his upper left shoulder from the accident he suffered 12 years ago. Once dressed, he grabs his bag and exited the apartment as the sun light flashes before his eyes. It’s the start of spring as cherry blossom trees has started to bloom filling the city in beauty and colors. The breeze was gentle and the air smells fresh so early in the morning. To make the day more magnificent, the sun shine brightly giving each flower a wonderful shine. There was no cloud in sight as the sky is filled with blue that extended as far as the eye can see. It was as if this perfect day was arranged personally for him who is about to take the next step toward a bright future

“Good morning Yunho…” an elderly woman spoke to him while she is out walking her dog

“Good morning Mrs. Yang…” Yunho smiled at her before bending down to pet the brown fur dog who happily wings its tail at him as a sign that this isn’t the first time they have met.

“You look well dressed…is today the day?” Mrs. Yang asked

“Yes…starting today…I’ll finally reach my dream…”

Mrs. Yang only smile at him knowing how hard he worked up to this day. The young man name Yunho stood up and bid his farewell before walking down the street to catch his bus. He is filled with nothing but anticipation and excitement to start his new job. Yunho has been waiting for this day to come ever since high school. He even made sure to allow himself some extra time before reaching his destination. Before he knew it he is standing across the street in front of a big and grand hospital known to be the top in all of Korea. Everyone who wanted a career in the medical field aims to work for this hospital and only a small few are selected. Only the best of the best will have a place in here and only those who are determine with a bright mind will last. To him the building seems to shine brighter than the last time he was here as if to say ‘Welcome’. He smiled happily trying to contain the excitement that is overflowing from within as he reminisce the reason why he is here today. He could still recall the dark raining day when his life changed. It was when he died and came back to life because of the help of a special individual. When he came to, he was lying in the hospital and looked pretty beat up. He soon learns that he was lucky to be alive because a doctor was nearby. His heart had actually stopped and he was bleeding a lot but the doctor was able to bring him back to life before the paramedic arrived. As to who the doctor was he has no clue nor does anyone else. Apparently after the paramedic came, the young doctor left. The only clue he got was that the young doctor who saved his life was wearing a badge from this hospital. Since then he had set a goal for himself. He aimed to work for the same hospital in order to find the doctor who save him and thank him properly. Through that experience, he was inspired to help others, to save a life like how his was saved.

After intense studying, eliminating all his free time, sacrificing friendship, he made it to one of the top medical school. He worked even harder to land himself with an internship that boosted his experiences and help him obtain a license. He had worked in a number of hospitals polishing his skills and then applied for this place. At first he wasn’t sure if he will get accepted but through a lot of praying, he got the position. Today is the day his new story will start in this hospital. Usually he isn’t nervous starting a new job but for some reasons he couldn’t stop his body from trembling. He took a few deep breaths before gazing at the building before him and smiles.

“Here I go…” he thought to himself as the walk signal changed to green.

“GET OUT OF THE WAY!!” a voice rings through the air

Yunho turns to his right where the voice came from and his eyes widen in shock as a man on a bicycle headed straight toward him in full speed from up the hill top. From the look of it, the guy won’t be able to stop his bicycle in time. Yunho knew he was going to get struck and it’s going to hurt a lot as he prepares himself. Suddenly a white sparkle floated into his line of vision reminding him of the day he got into the car accident. Just before the bike reach him; it made a sudden right turn missing Yunho by a few inches as the bicycle ended colliding with the bushes behind him a few feet away. The guy groans a bit but it looks like he will be okay as the bushes broke his fall. His bike laid on the ground as its wheels spins slowly making a rattling noise. Yunho stood there and watched as someone reaches down toward the bike. The first thing he notices was the long slender fingers coated by snow white skin. Even the nails were healthy and beautiful as if this person took care of their hand perfectly. It’s something he doesn’t usually pay attention to but strangely enough this attracted him. He turn his gaze from the hand up the slender arms and then upon the face of this person. Yunho’s eyes widen in shock as he became speechless. It wasn’t just the hand that was beautiful but the entire body was like a perfectly constructed piece of art. Each part of the body perfectly complimented the other parts. But what really took his breath away was the face. This person has the perfect jawline, the big doll like eyes, the shape of the nose bridge and the full pink lip. Even the porcelain snow white skin glows brightly under the sunlight putting the flowers hanging above this person from the tree to shame. A gentle breeze blew pass causing the silky brown hair to sway back and forth showing the perfect shaped eyebrows. From this far Yunho could even make out the long eyelashes that beautify the eyes even more.

This person reaches down and picks up a little white box next to the bike that has been broken as what looked like a piece of cake hanging on the edge. The white cream could be seen smeared upon the ground and the box. A little red strawberry broke free of the cream that held it in place from the box and onto the ground. Yunho watches as the expression of this beautiful person changed into sadness as he too felt bad. This person look down to the strawberry on the ground as Yunho starts to get this uneasy feeling. Suddenly this perfectly constructed individuals bends down to pick up the strawberry and Yunho watches in horror as this person is about to eat it. He could literally see dirt on the strawberry as the little cream has acted like glue causing pieces of grass to stick to it. Before Yunho knew it he had already ran toward this guy in a panic and grab his hand that held onto the strawberry preventing him from placing it into his mouth.

“Y-you can’t eat that?! It was on the ground and is now dirty” spoke Yunho

The beautiful person look at Yunho a bit startled before the doll like eyes starts to get watery surprising Yunho. What is even more surprising was the fact that this is actually a guy and not a woman. This guy didn’t even have to say anything because his close to tear expression was enough to say he wanted the cake no matter what. Before Yunho knew it, he is sitting in a café nearby across from this beautiful man who is happily eating his 3rd slice of cake. He isn’t even sure how things ended this way. He was supposed to meet up with the head doctor and get a grand tour of the hospital and yet here he is in a café instead.

“Why don’t you just order the whole cake instead of slices? You basically eating a whole cake anyway” Yunho asked

“Where is the fun in that?” the beautiful man smiled before shouting to the waiter “One more piece please!”

“yah! I think you have enough” Yunho ended shouting as the beautiful man made a sadden expression before slowly sitting down in his chair almost as if he is going to curl into a ball. Yunho isn’t sure why but this was more than enough to make him feel guilty as his conscience is telling him he is being too mean.

He let out a sigh “fine…has as much cake as you like…”

The guy’s face lights up as the waiter brought him another piece of cake. Yunho sigh once more wondering why he even bothers to stick around just because this guy dragged him here. It’s not like they are friends or anything, in fact they are complete stranger. He looks down at this watch a 5th time since he came here. He had left the house early to get some extra time to look around a bit before meeting the head doctor but from the look of it, he won’t have time for that. He glances at the man in front of him before grabbing his bag

“I have to go…” he spoke

“eh? Where to?”

“To my job…today is my first day and I don’t want to be late”

The beautiful man reaches out and grabs Yunho by the hand surprising him. This person look at him with his big doll like eyes that made his heart flattered. It reminded him of a puppy who is about to get abandon.

“You can’t…” he spoke in a cute childlike voice that made Yunho’s heart beat fast

Yunho clears his throat “l-look…I have to go…”

“But you can’t!” the beautiful man shouted

From the look of it, this beautiful man wasn’t going to let go. In fact his grip seems to have gotten tighter and more desperate to prevent Yunho from leaving. Yunho isn’t usually attracted to people of the same gender but this guy was stirring up all kind of feelings.

“Please…” the beautiful man spoke softly as Yunho felt his heart being struck by cupid’s arrow. The place this person was holding onto is starting to get hot.

Yunho started to blush a little “W-well...I-if you really don’t want me to...I…I guess…I could…”

“Please help me pay for these cakes?! They aren’t cheap and I’m broke right now” the beautiful man plead desperately

For the first time in 27 years of his life, Yunho felt something inside him snap.

Yunho finally arrived at the office of the head doctor rumbling curse words to himself. He made a mental note never to get carried away by a beautiful man or woman. Once you get hooked onto their look, they will your wallet dry. He stood in front of the door and took a deep breath to calm himself. He knocks on the door as an older voice gives him permission to enter.

“Hello…my name is Jung Yunho…” he introduce himself

Sitting in front of a large brown desk is an older man possibly in his late 50’s wearing glasses and a white lab coat. His hair was a mixture of white and gray as it gently sway back and forth from the cool breeze coming through the open window.

“Ah! Yunho sshi…I have been expecting you…I hope you were able to find my office without any trouble” the head doctor spoke with a smile

“I was able to find your office perfectly fine…”

“That’s good…please come in and have a seat”

Yunho walks over to the desk and sat down in one of the arm chair.

“It still surprises me how young you are and yet you already made a name yourself in the surgical field…I have heard nothing but good things about you from your previous employers…the poor guy was crying saying how he didn’t want you to leave…”

Yunho chuckled “crying might be a little exaggerated…”

“Why did you decide to leave? The offer they were going to give you is far more than anything any other surgeon received…”

Yunho pause a bit before speaking as he remembers the reason why he is here today “my dream…is to work at this hospital…”

“oh…and why is that?”

“I was hit by a car when I was 15 years old…I almost died but right there under the pouring rain surrounded by darkness a man rushed over and saved my life….he gives me a second chance and inspired me to change who I am…change the way I do things…he motivated me to really think about my future…”

“And what does that have to do with this hospital?”

“This guy who saved me…I don’t know how he looks like or even his name…but he was wearing a badge from this hospital...”

“But you can easily come here to find that person instead of having to work here”

“That is true…but it got me thinking…if this hospital could produce such a kind and talented person who didn’t hesitate to save a life…I too…want to work here…I want to further grow in this place and hopefully one day I too will be as cool and great as this doctor who saved me…”

The head doctor look at Yunho a bit before he leans back and smile “You are already a talented young man…from the look of it…you are already one of the best…I’m not sure what else this hospital can teach you but I hope your time here will be full of great memories…”

“Thank you…”

Just then the door to the office room opens

“Ah…you came just in time…I wanted you to meet someone…” the head doctor spoke to the person who just entered.

Yunho slightly turn around as his eyes become widen in total horror upon who is standing by the door dressed in a white lab coat with a badge hanging on the left side.

“Yunho shhi…this is Doctor Kim…he is one of our top pediatric doctor here…”

“Doctor?...” thought Yunho in disbelief “HE’S A DOCTOR?!”

The beautiful man who ate 4 pieces of cakes costing Yunho everything in his wallet stood at the door and smiles at him “Welcome to the team Yunho shhi…I hope we can become great friends”

That smile alone made Yunho uneasy as the bright future at this hospital he had imagined quickly faded and became uncertain.