A child's fantasy

How I met and fell in love with you

The darkness of the cave was surrounding two brave adventurers, both in search of their missing princess by the name of Bambi. They were determined to rescue her from the dangerous dragon that had kidnapped her and brought her to a forlorn island. They carefully took one step after the other, holding onto one another to not get lost.

“Captain,” the smaller of the two remarked lowly, big round eyes trying to see something in the darkness.

“Shhh, we're close,” the taller one whispered back when they came closer to the growling sound of a snoring dragon.

“What are you two doing there?” suddenly cut through the air, the hallway being illuminated when SunHee switched on the lights and found YunHo and JaeJoong sneaking to the living room.

“We're on a mission,” JaeJoong stated excitedly, earning a chuckle from YunHo's mother.

“We have to res-res- .... find our princess,” YunHo babbled before he dragged JaeJoong further. SunHee smiled to herself while watching the two boys being caught up in their play containing dragons and princesses.

“There she is. You see her?” YunHo whispered to JaeJoong when the two boys reached the living room, crouching in the door frame when they eyed YunHo's Bambi plushie resting next to a snoring TaeBum.

“Captain Yun, the dragon,” JaeJoong whispered back, pointing with his little finger at YunHo's father.

“We have to be careful,” YunHo remarked, slowly crawling towards the sofa that was the highest rock inside of the dragon's cave.

“C-captain. Joongie scared,” JaeJoong said when a loud snore of TaeBum cut through the air.

“Yunnie will protect Joongie,” YunHo replied with a smile and grabbed JaeJoong's little hand, making the other smile widely before they continued their adventure. The two boys slowly crawled further towards the sofa, coming closer and closer to their princess and the dragon that slowly stirred awake from his nap.

“Careful. He wake up,” YunHo whispered when they were close to the sofa and in front of YunHo's father who just stretched his limbs.

“Ready?” YunHo asked and JaeJoong nodded, his eyes fixed on their princess as it was his task to grab her while YunHo would fight against the dragon.

“What are you up to?” TaeBum asked groggily when he noticed the two young boys in front of him and almost immediately had YunHo sitting on his lap while tickling him.

“Run, Joongie! Run!” YunHo exclaimed when JaeJoong grabbed Bambi and stumbled towards the hallway, almost tripping over his own feet in the process. YunHo followed shortly after, leaving his father breathless and confused behind. He won against the dangerous dragon and their princess was back safe in their secure castle!

*

In the afternoon, when YunHo and JaeJoong were drowning in their world filled with pirates and had little sword fights or were just chasing one another, the two energetic boys were followed by their parents who went for a walk and also got to know each other a little bit more. AhYoung stayed with Granny Mae at home.

“Argh, you no chance against me,” JaeJoong rasped like the pirates he had seen in some movies, closing one of his eyes when he attacked YunHo's stick with his own.

“In your dreams,” YunHo replied, fighting back just as passionately.

It was at the gate of another house when JaeJoong suddenly stopped in his tracks, his little body shivering when his widened eyes started to tear at the creature that ever so slowly came closer to him and YunHo, barking every now and then which made it even worse.

“Oh, doggy,” YunHo chimed with a wide smile when the white furry animal ran up to him and the trembling JaeJoong, its tail wiggling happily in the air when YunHo fondled its fur. The little stick JaeJoong was holding fell out of his trembling hand with a 'thud' when the dog barked loudly and with its tongue over YunHo's cheek.

“Waaaaaaah!” he screamed at the top of his lungs while running towards his parents, tears streaming down his cheeks when he thought of the monster that was just eating his friend.

“Oh no,” MiKyung remarked when she saw the display in front of her, worry written on her face. But not because of the dog YunHo was playing with, but because of her hysterical and scared son running into the arms of his father. JaeJoong feared nothing more than dogs of any breed and size ever since he was two, ever since a dog had buried him under its furry body while playing.

“Daddy! M-monster! Monster eating Yunnie!!” the terrified four-year-old cried, burying his teary face into the shoulder of his father as he cried and cried and cried. HanKyung tried everything to soothe JaeJoong, but knowing how scared JaeJoong was he knew that it would take him some time; hours to be exact.

“Vick, come here,” a young woman exclaimed and the big furry dog ran towards her while wiggling its tail.

“I'm so sorry, MiKyung-ssi,” she said when she eyed JaeJoong sobbing in his father's arms. Everyone in the village knew that JaeJoong was scared of dogs and the young woman always felt guilty whenever her dog terrified him even more.

“It's okay, SunMi-ssi. I'm sure Vick just wanted to play,” MiKyung replied, fondling the white fur lovingly while YunHo's wet face was being cleaned by his mother.

“Auntie, why Joongie crying?” the young boy asked worriedly, his eyebrows furrowed when he eyed JaeJoong clinging desperately onto his father who still tried to comfort him, telling him that everything was okay and that YunHo wasn't leaving him.

“JaeJoong is scared of dogs very much, that's why,” MiKyung explained to the boy next to her who was curiously looking at her while fondling Vick's white fur.

“Why? It's just dog,” YunHo remarked in confusion.

“It's the same like you being scared of bees,” SunHee replied while ruffling YunHo's hair who now seemed to understand JaeJoong's problem.

“M-monster eating Yunnie,” JaeJoong sobbed into his father's shoulder, clinging onto him even tighter.

“It's okay, JaeJoongie. YunHo is okay. Don't worry,” HanKyung whispered soothingly while holding JaeJoong tightly and caressing over his back.

“N-not okay. Monster taking Yunnie away,” JaeJoong mumbled into HanKyung's neck when they all made their way back to HyunAe's house.

“How is he?” MiKyung asked her husband softly, streaking through JaeJoong's brown hair when she walked beside them. YunHo was walking on the other side of HanKyung, looking worriedly up to JaeJoong every now and then. He didn't like that JaeJoong was so sad.

“Not better,” HanKyung mumbled back while shaking his head. It was even worse than normally when JaeJoong had an encounter with a dog because this time he feared to lose his best friend.

“Joongie not crying. Yunnie okay,” YunHo remarked while tucking on the sleeve of JaeJoong's trousers, his fingers slightly reaching them. It made JaeJoong look down at him, eyes glistening with tears and sadness written on his round face. He sniffed slightly before he buried his face back into the crook of his father's neck. He was happy that YunHo was okay but the shock from earlier was still stronger.

Over the next few hours JaeJoong didn't let go of his father and spoke just every now and then. He recovered from his shock more slowly than normal and everyone missed his cheerful self. Especially YunHo felt bad. He tried everything to cheer JaeJoong up but only had minimal success.

“JaeJoongie want ice cream?” YunHo tried his last idea, looking hopefully at JaeJoong whose head was resting against his father's chest while sitting in his lap.

“I-ice cream?” JaeJoong asked softly, sniffing slightly when he looked back at YunHo. A spark of hope.

“Uh-huh. Strawberry,” YunHo replied while nodding, hopping off the sofa before he held out his hand.

“You come with me?” he asked hopefully and smiled toothily when JaeJoong ever so slowly climbed out of his father's lap and grabbed YunHo's hand. They slowly shuffled into the kitchen where their mothers and Granny Mae were already waiting for them with two big bowls filled with yummy strawberry ice cream. And not even ten minutes later JaeJoong's melodious laughter resounded through the kitchen together with a wide smile when YunHo fooled around and smeared some of his ice cream onto his nose on purpose while making funny faces.

*

The rest of the afternoon and early evening the two boys spent playing inside of their room, everyone glad that JaeJoong was his old cheerful self. When it was time for the two to go to bed, TaeBum went into the room to bring JaeJoong and YunHo into the bathroom but left the chamber with a smile soon afterwards.

“Why are you down here? I thought you bring the boys into the bathroom,” SunHee remarked when her husband crossed her way on the stairs. JaeJoong's parents were close behind her.

“I don't think they're taking a bath tonight,” TaeBum replied with a gentle smile, signalizing his wife and JaeJoong's parents to follow him. Once they stepped into the room and switched on the lights, TaeBum held his finger in front of his lips and signalized them to be silent. They slowly and silently made their way over to a heap of mattresses, bed sheets and arm chairs that seemed to be the two boys' secret castle.

TaeBum slowly pulled the white bed sheet away that was supposed to be an entrance and revealed a sight inside that softened the expressions of MiKyung and SunHee and made the two older men smile.

There in the middle of a heap of fluffy pillows lay two sleeping boys curled up into balls. JaeJoong was holding tightly onto his Phantie while Bambi was lying above their heads. Instead of holding his Bambi YunHo was holding JaeJoong, his right arm wrapped around the smaller one's tiny waist.

SunHee grabbed a blanket that lay next to the sleeping angels and pulled it over their bodies. Everyone left the room silently, switching off the lights before the door was closed gently and left the two dreaming boys alone in their world.