The Right Moment

My Conveyor

No one's POV

italics= flashback

bold = Taeyeon's unspoken words

italics bold = Tiffany's gesticulated/drawn thoughts

 

 

=========================================

Love waits for one thing, the right moment.
-- Anna

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The blanket ruffled and creased as a small body underneath was squirming with discomfort, trying to find a better position to sleep. Defeated, Taeyeon pushed the quilts away while attempting to wipe off puny beads of perspiration that damped her scalp. She propped herself up with the slightest strength that she could garner in the morning before reaching for her clock lethargically. 




The rounded eyes of hers grew with curiosity when she spotted a mug of oat resting resolutely on top of a pink paper. She lifted it slightly while pulling out the slip of paper with care, revealing chunks of familiar handwritings while doing so. 


Taeyeon ah, I didn’t wake you up like I was supposed to as I think it would be much better to let you steal a few more winks. PLEASE drink up the oat that I’ve prepared for you. If you don’t, I WILL know and you will get it from me! *narrowing my eyes at you*


A toothy grin was plastered on the petite girl’s face as she read her pal’s message before reaching for the mug. Although the beverage was lukewarm, it was more than enough to swathe Taeyeon’s heart with layers and more layers of love, and the supplier was none other than Tiffany, the one who holds the most significant position in it. 


Despite grappling with the actualisation of Tiffany’s extraordinary affections, Taeyeon knew that something has to be done since it was nobody but her, who yearned for an enhanced development in their camaraderie initially. However, it was Tiffany who had taken bolder and broader steps towards her while she had chosen to stay rooted to the hard ground, opting to remain in a position that she had originally wished to forsake. She had reservations, she had fears. Still, they are not good enough reasons to be the stumbling block in the instigation of a new yet fundamental relationship between them. 


Furthermore, Tiffany’s increasingly meaningful and expressive actions has work its way in breaking down the protective shield around Taeyeon, little by little, bits by bits. 
With the pink paper and mug in her hands, Tiffany’s words jingled through her ears like a favourite song stuck in her head,


“Do you know that I really really love you?”


Taeyeon could not fathom out if it was a mere hallucination working in her brain or an account that has occurred. She only vaguely remembered that she was being placed carefully on her bed and tucked under the blankets at one fell swoop the night before. Nonetheless, the reiteration of those words could only egg her on to express her innermost sentiments that were only meant for the one that she has been devoted to.


Tiffany, in you, I am beginning to see the power of love.









Disentangling the pink strings from the rolled canvas sheet, Taeyeon carefully spread the angelic drawing that she had of Tiffany on the desk, marvelling not at her sketching skills, but how divine her friend seems to be even under her inadequate outlines. She has yet to label the artwork since she had no intention to sell it off to anyone, but to keep it for herself. However, she began to grab her charcoal pencil and doodle at the top-right corner of the sketch.


Dropping down the tool in her hand, she impetuously refastened the drawing before making her way out of the house. Embarking on the route to the hospital, Taeyeon has an apparent decision on her mind as she summons all the courage that she has amassed from Tiffany’s love and concern. Thirteen years, nine years of companionship tying with four years of absence in between. Time has narrated and much verified the incomparable bond that they shared. 


Tiffany, I think it’s the right time that we set off on a brand new journey together. Let us be each other’s strength.



***

“Taeyeon sshi! Do you have someone you like?” A girl with cherry lips looks at the petite girl working on her assignment as usual. She plopped down beside her preoccupied classmate as she awaits a response from the latter. All Taeyeon could do was to stare at the sculpture that she was creating while an unconscious smile crept onto her face. 


“Seems like you do. Who’s that lucky person?” A girl by the name of IU continued to probe in nosiness, more of doing it out of eagerness to know more about the latter, and perhaps even carrying a slight tinge of hope that the her name would appear on the white paper that Taeyeon was going to reveal.


However, the quiet person only responded by placing her index finger on her lips.


It’s a secret.


Adamant to implore more about the secretive girl, IU decided to change her approach as she tweak and modify her question.


“How about… What would you do to show your love to the significant other?”


Taeyeon let her hands fall limply onto the table, drumming her fingers as she pondered hard at the question posed by her acquaintance. Her pupils were fixated on the top right corner of her eyes while her bottom lip was protruding slightly. The petite girl was oblivious of the impact that her contemplating expression has on her friend while she was lost in a muse. 


IU supports her chin with her left wrist while she continues to stare at the adorable sight in front of her. Her eyes enlarged and brightened when Taeyeon turned to face her, ready with an answer. 


I would draw a portrait of the person and present it as a gift. Taeyeon waved her right fist in a zigzag motion and circulated the index finger in front of her face before merging her palms together as she shot an amiable smile at the other. 


The younger girl caught the gist of Taeyeon’s well-indicated reply.


“Aw….! That’s so cute and sweet! Could you draw the person’s portrait now? I’m eager to know!” IU pulled Taeyeon by the sleeves as she pleaded animatedly. The latter could only scratch the back of her head as she dithers over her request before reaching for a paper and pencil half-heartedly.


Taeyeon fluttered her eyes shut as she envisages Tiffany’s facial features in her mind. Her nose tingled as her tear duct was working its sentiments. The idea of seeing Tiffany through her mind’s eye could only sting her heart further upon the absence of her dearest. Nonetheless, her lips curled up slightly when she visualised Tiffany’s angelic smiling eyes and exquisite features. 


Drawing up her eyelids, the older girl began to wield on the blank paper. IU watch on in breathless anticipation as Taeyeon outlined a long face with narrow chin before adding in long stripes to illustrate some silky long strands of hair. 


IU’s heart pounded harder when she saw the sketch of a girl. She was surprised yet expectant of it as she raised her hopes of a mutual feeling between them. However, her optimism was gradually punctured and deflated, just like a depleting balloon being pricked by a needle when each additional detail was being drawn on the paper in front of the smaller girl. Crescent-shaped eyes, well-defined big nose complemented with a plump lip that was in the shape of a heart. None of those were analogous to her own. The younger girl could only look at the drawing with a dampened spirit while the expression on Taeyeon’s was in the exact opposite. 


“Who is she?” Trying to hide her joylessness, IU posed a question which carried no significance to her. 


Taeyeon turned the portrait around as she scribbled her respond nimbly on the back of drawing.


She is someone important. Her name is Tiffany. She is my conveyor. The older person lifted the paper just enough to allow the other to decipher and digest her writings. 


The auburn-hair girl could only react by nodding her head apathetically as she muttered something in response, more like a self-enlightenment that she was just not good enough to be the one that Taeyeon loves. 


“She is really pretty….” 


IU could only observe the deep infatuations that Taeyeon has with the girl in the sketch. She has never seen a sincere smile on the latter ever since she knew her in the arts school. The petite girl continued to enhance her drawing by doing a little more shading as she attempts to perfect it, hardly knowing that her little actions had broken even the slightest wishful thinking of IU, the one whom she had only deemed as a good friend, nothing else. 


***








A petite frame snakes her way through hordes of workers and patients with the wooden easel in her arms, rounded eyes darting around in search of her destination. After several twist and turns, she finally reached Mr Lee’s office and gave two quick knocks on the door while she catches some breather. 


“Come in.” A manly voice was heard from the inside of the room and Taeyeon gently twisted the door open to reveal herself as she took a ninety degree bow at the latter.


“Taeyeon ah… Glad to see you… Take a sit…” 


The short hair girl promptly displayed her artworks that the director had requested before taking her place adjacent to the middle-aged man, clasping her hands in anxiousness. 


“Wow…. I am in awe Taeyeon! You did it in just a day! I’ve entrusted the right person.”


The young woman eased a little upon the comment as she slowly lays her back against the chair with a little more comfort. However, little did she expect that she was appointed yet another task by the man with greying hair. She finally comprehended the true meaning behind the phrase, “One thing after another.” 


“If that’s the case… Taeyeon ah… Could you do me another favour? Can you help to design a poster for our coming 56th anniversary? It would definitely be a wonderful addition to illustrate our remarkable achievements in the society.” 


Closing her fingers around the sides of the chair in a firm grip, Taeyeon bit her lips in deliberation. She found no reasons to decline the request by Mr Lee, who has treated her fairly well after getting acquainted with Sunny. However, she had qualms over her ability. After all, she had spent much of her time last night churning out those sketches that he wanted. 


Ultimately, Taeyeon succumb to her soft-heartedness as she meekly nodded at the bespectacled man, earning a delighted smile from the latter.


“I will be looking forward to your great work. Do take your time for it.” Mr Lee gave a sincere smile at the person before him to show his utmost appreciation.


To Taeyeon, there is no definite line between compromising and being gracious to people’s unyielding demands. Thus, she is always loading more burdens onto herself, giving others the very best despite her limited means. 


As the young lass reaches for her easel to make her way out, she was reminded of something that she has to enquire about. Spinning around to face the benign man once more, Taeyeon scribbled her matter on a small piece of post-it.


Can you tell me where is Tiffany?












“Yuri ah… I have cheese kimbap and tuna sandwich… Which one do you want?”


“Why no cucumber salad?” 


“Seobang… Don’t think that being disabled gives you the entitlement to ask for something impossible…” 


“Uh haha…. I’m kiddin… Look at my face…. I’m kiddin right?!” The patient did a spastic face at her girlfriend to simmer things down before things get out of the way. 


This is the light-hearted sight that greeted Tiffany once she stepped into the room for her daily routine on Yuri. 


“Morning…. You look great today.” 


“You look fabulous too… As usual….”


“Woah I didn’t know you could be such a cheesy person!” The eye-smiling girl chuckled jovially at the loving couple as Jessica shifted her way to the tanned girl, clasping their hands together possessively. 


“That’s blatant flirting Kwon Yuri….”


“Jealous much?”


Yuri propped herself further up so that she could lean in closer to place a quick peck on her lover’s cheeks.


“Yah… My eyes….! Anyways don’t worry Jessica… Yuri isn’t my type…” Tiffany lifted her left hand to cover her face partially in uneasiness upon the couple’s intimate behaviour.


“Yeah… Tiffany goes for shorties… So I’m perfectly safe.” 


“Ah really?”


“Kwon Yuri!!!” A redden face greeted the giggling lovebirds as Tiffany was totally embarrassed by her patient. She has no prior knowledge that Yuri knew of her slight favouritism towards smaller things, in that specific case, Taeyeon.


“W… well…. It’s time for your therapy session Ms Kwon. I am supposed to monitor your progress during each session. Let’s go.”


Sounds of clicking heels peter out as Tiffany exits the ward, trying to run away from the awkwardness. However, her ears were not spared from the distress as the conversation continued between the following couple.


“How do you know about Tiffany’s taste in a partner?”


“I saw her running towards a cute looking petite girl the other day. You should have seen her face. It was full of excitement.”


“So that’s her girlfriend?”


Tiffany quickened her pace to close her ears from the discussion about Taeyeon between the two. However, the image of her adorable pal popped up in her mind instead. It was just a mere few hours since she left Taeyeon for work, yet she was beginning to miss the latter’s presence. 









“I wonder if she has woken up… Did she drink the cup of oat?” Fiddling with her mobile, Tiffany mumbled to herself out of boredom as she sat on a couch. After taking a glance at her patient who was listening attentively to the advices of the therapist, the lonesome girl took a good observation of her surroundings to kill time. She looks at her phone, unsmiling, wondering if she should send a quick message to Taeyeon so as to ease her concerns. 


Before she could come to a decision, her ears pricked when she heard some knocks on the glass panel adjacent to her. It was her smaller friend who was standing outside the physiotherapy room, waving at her like an adorable kid. 


Tiffany broke into her perfect eyesmile as her mood was brightened by Taeyeon’s presence. As much as she yearns to run out of the room to tackle her friend with an amorous hug, her responsibilities as Yuri’s psychologist kept her at bay. 


Sorry Taetae, I have to keep an eye on my patient. Therefore I couldn’t come out.


Tiffany did a string of hand signs, gesturing accurately at her friend while pouting, feeling apologetic to the latter. Those gesticulations were not foreign to her, since she had taken sign and body language as a minor during her four-year stint at the States. In fact, Tiffany is skilful enough to communicate with hand signs to any vocally impaired people. 


Taeyeon gave an assuring smile while she takes miniature steps back before plopping down on a bench along the walkway. Her eyes never once broke away from the eye contact with Tiffany while doing so.


A passing by nurse interrupted their eye exchange and they both look away as one would expect. However, they found each other’s dark orbs again almost immediately when they telepathically tilted their heads in the direction of the other. It was as if there lies an invisible compelling force between them. Both broke into blushing giggles after being caught in a few good seconds of affectionate gaze. 


None of them could explain those simple yet demonstrative eye contacts that they share. However, it was just enough for the two of them to understand something that is inexplicable to the others. If only love could be explainable like scientific theories, those unintended secrets between them would not have existed. 


It has always been like this, this indescribable bond between the two girls. Everything else may have changed, but the heart to treat the other well, remains. 


Everything changes but beauty remains
Something so tender, I can't explain
Well, I may be dreaming but till I awake
Can't we make this dream last forever
And I'll cherish all the love we share





Tiffany steal a look at her friend from time to time, wondering what the latter was doing as Taeyeon was concentrating on one of her artworks again. Itching to gain the smaller girl’s attention, Tiffany flips to the back of the last page in her folder, extracting the pen from the board and began to doodle. Her actions completely mirrored the other. 


After she was done, the eye-smiling girl snorted at her own creation before knocking on the glass panel to gain the other’s attention. Taeyeon looks up just in time with an amused face as her brows slowly arch into a frown, an intentional frown. 


Apparently, the younger woman was pressing her piece of paper onto the glass panel with the message: ‘Kim Taeyeon!’ coupled with a piglet drawing beside it. 


Responding to her friend’s playfulness, Taeyeon flip to a fresh page in her notepad and did the same.


Tiffany~~ The mushroom. A toadstool was drawn next to her scribbling and the notepad trembled due to Taeyeon’s shaking arms. The petite girl was cracking up upon Tiffany’s crossed face. 


Yah yah yah!


=P


I hate you


=/ pls dun


Make it up to me.


Lunch on me later. =)


Really? Great! That’s more like it! <3


Anything for mushroom =D


Stop calling me mushroom jokertaeng! >=/


Okays okays… Dinner on me too.. Don’t be angry or you will have wrinkles on ur face ^-^


I want home-cooked food!


Anything for Tiffany =D


Teasing phrases, comical drawings and words of appeasement was the tête-à-tête between the two as they spend the short but momentous time together, despite being in different places.


What are you doing here? Are you waiting for me? =P


Taeyeon think twice as she twiddles the pencil in her hand. The comfortable interaction derived from the exchange of drawings and words has mounted the confidence level of the smaller girl. She felt that it is the best opportunity to carry out what she had originally planned. 


Fany ah… There is something that I had wanted to tell…


Cancelling out the unfinished sentence with one , Taeyeon fidgeted uncomfortably on her seat, unsure of the right words and phrases to put across those feelings that she wanted to convey. 


Fany ah… I have something for you… The smaller girl settled on taking it one step at a time. She showed her written message to the other while reaching for the intended gift in her bag.


What is it? Food? ^_^ 


Replacing the notepad in her hands was the familiar looking rolled canvas sheet. Taeyeon began to unknot it undecidedly. She took a fleeting look into the room and Tiffany was still staring back at her with her chin resting on her propped arms. Pursing her lips, her heart pounds faster as she gradually unrolls it. 


After inhaling a deep breath, Taeyeon lifted the portrait timorously while her lips are pressed together. Her eyes gradually move up to meet Tiffany’s as she had expected. However, the younger girl’s attention was pried away by her patient as she back-faced Taeyeon, failing to capture a glimpse of her friend’s proposed gift. 


The petite girl let out an inaudible sigh as disappointment well up in her heart, pounding in melancholic rhythm. She hurriedly lowered and covered the drawing by placing it against her chest, wrapping it well with her arms when Tiffany turned back to indicate that she has to be present at her patient’s side. She nodded and mustered a weak smile before watching the taller girl gradually disappear from her sight. Another mouthful of air escaped from Taeyeon’s lips. 


It was so near yet so far from her pre-planned mission. Taeyeon mentally blamed her own cowardice as she faltered to fearfulness and apprehension yet again. She could have boldly written the simple “I love you” on her notepad to explicitly confess to Tiffany. However, she found it too weighty to carry it through successfully. It was like a kite flying experience. Taeyeon had attempted to fly it up into the sky, however, once the wind has receded, it would take a lot more energy and strength to set it flying again. Her heart was meant to be catch by Tiffany, but she had missed the glorious chance, allowing it to be weighed down by the workings of gravity, or in this case, inhibition.


Tiffany, is it because we have been together for too long, like how family members does, words just cannot be conveyed out easily. I cannot easily express out the fondness or gratefulness, especially towards you.














“Taetae!!! Sorry to keep you waiting!” The girl with long wavy ponytail attempts to catch her breath as she settled down beside her friend in the cafeteria. Taeyeon gently patted on her back to calm her down.


It’s ok. The smaller girl shifted her left hand to the latter’s head instead before it lightly.


“I heard that the muffins here are really good. Do you wanna give them a try?” 


Taeyeon nodded in agreement before her eyes widen with interest as Tiffany pulled off the band to let her brown wavy locks cascade down her shoulders. 


Sensing that her smaller friend was trapped in a daze, Tiffany shifted her head to meet Taeyeon’s eyes with her owns instead, tilting it slightly while doing so. 


“You’re not quite yourself today Taeyeon. Are you sick or something?” 


The smaller girl simply shook her head and tried to give a comforting smile when Tiffany placed one hand on her arms in concern. 


However, Tiffany could sense the uneasiness in her friend when she probed into her eyes. She did not see the interest and spark in the rounded eyes of the smaller girl even though the lips are in an upward curve. Nonetheless, the taller girl perceived that her pal could have been worn off by fatigue. Opting to lighten the mood, Tiffany proceeds to commence a cheery conversation with Taeyeon.


“Next time, I want you to sleep earlier. Look at your eyes! They resemble the pandas. Anyways, what special gift did you have for me? You wanted to show me just now but you didn’t.”


The girl with short brown locks could only stare at Tiffany with open-mouthed. She then bit her bottom lips as her eyes shifted away before landing them on the bag beside her, pondering if she should take it out since her friend has already openly requested for it.


“Is it inside your bag?” The curious girl could not help but point to the purple backpack beside Taeyeon when she realised that the latter has been looking at it for some time, as if there lays a mysterious item in it. 


Waving her arms in front of her best friend as she shakes her head in denial, Taeyeon gave a nervous smile as she places one hand over her bag, hiding it pointlessly when the backpack was already securely zipped up. Her frantic actions earned a puzzled look from Tiffany when those thick brows were skewed like the sides of a hill. 


It was a spontaneous effect from the petite girl as it was not intentional of her to prevent Tiffany from acquiring the drawing. Rather, she was just not mentally prepared to receive any reaction from the younger woman upon the revelation of the portrait. 


“What’s so secretive? There is nothing I can’t see right Taetae?”


Taeyeon could feel the pair of imploring eyes from a persistent Tiffany. She chose not to meet them, as she has no appropriate answer in respond to her friend’s doubtful statement. 


Curiosity is killing and tormenting the brunette as she could not grasp Taeyeon’s contradictory actions. Then again, she did not want to push her buddy further as she would sound and seem demanding for the latter. 


“Tiffany sshi! Mind me joining the two of you?” An average height woman greeted the two courteously.


“Hey Jessica! Sure! Take a sit…” Tiffany signalled for the other to take the seat next to her and began to introduce her buddy.


“Let me introduce to you… This is Taeyeon, my… bestie.” While Taeyeon and Jessica gave each other a handshake, the girl in the middle began to blush upon her earlier shilly-shallying in defining her relationship with Taeyeon.


“Is she the girl that Yuri mentioned? She looks small and cute to me…” 


“Uh… haha… Taeyeon, this is Jessica, Yuri’s girlfriend… Remember my patient Yuri whom I had mentioned yesterday?” Tiffany deviated from Jessica’s query wittingly.


The short-hair girl smiled at the newly acquainted friend once more before relaxing herself to sit back and listen to the conversation between the two girls attentively.


“Just… Besties?” Jessica raised her brows at Tiffany questioningly while giving an indicative smirk.


“You’re a pretty nosy person Jessica… I am so gonna tell Yuri…”


“Go ahead… You bet that I’m gonna verify with her later regarding….”


“Then I’m gonna tell her that you were having lunch with us instead of giving her accompaniment.”


“Fine. Anyways, I should treat you a meal, to thank you for encouraging and helping Yuri…”


“That’s just part of my job….”


“But still…. I haven’t seen anyone else sharing a passion as great as yours when it comes to work… You are a great counsellor and a patient psychologist…”


Taeyeon could not stifle her happiness as a contented beam was visible on her face when Jessica commended on Tiffany’s professionalism. She felt proud for the one she loves, yet on the other hand, she is beginning to feel a tad of unworthiness. 


“You’re too flattering…” 


“Hey… I rarely give praises to others. So please accept the fact that you’re more than exceptional.”


“Wow you’re certainly boosting my ego… This meal should be on me then….”


“Not only are you educated and possess beauty, you’re very munificent too….! You’ll make an ideal girlfriend… Don’t you agree Taeyeon sshi?” 


Jessica only meant it as a playful banter, unknowing of the impact that her words had on Taeyeon. While she continued giggling, the other two displayed embarrassed faces. In particular, a tinge of disconsolation was apparent from the smaller girl’s expression.


“Uhm… Anyways… What do you want? Muffins ok for you?” Tiffany recomposes herself by seeking Jessica’s opinion for the food to get.


“Nah… I’m just kiddin… I was waiting for my sister to arrive so that I could bring her to Yuri since she may not know the way. I gotta go pretty soon! Happy to chat with the two of you. See ya around!”


After bidding goodbye to Jessica, an awkward silence was shared between the two. 


“Ah… well I guess Jessica was being a little too over-friendly there just now… anyways let’s take our orders.” 


The atmosphere between them just does not seem right for Tiffany throughout her lunch session with Taeyeon. The silence was simply dissimilar to the comfortable ones that they usually share. 


“Taeyeon ah… Are you…. Are you gonna stay till I knock off from work?”


The older one lifted her head while her sight remained on the muffin before her, hesitant in responding to the latter. Nonetheless, she nodded with a smile much to the delight of the latter.


The tug on her lips widen in accordance to Tiffany’s smiling eyes. The mood between them has become a little more cordial as a consequence of their heartfelt smiles. 


Despite everything, Taeyeon found no reasons to snub the idea of waiting for Tiffany. She has all the time to wait for her significant other. However, she was unsure if she is worthy enough of Tiffany’s time. 


“Have to go... See you later! I’ll notify you once I’m done.” Waving at her friend, Taeyeon look on as the taller girl makes her way to the cafeteria’s exit. However, much to her surprise, Tiffany tilted her head back with a beatific smile before taking quick strides towards her. Without a word, the younger woman plants a peck that was neither too long nor short on her left cheek. 

Tiffany has taken a bigger step, yet again, quite the opposite of a diffident Taeyeon.


This is the last padlock in my heart, but I just can’t seem to undo it.











Sounds of sprinkling water of the fountain coupled with balmy heat were the only elements that accompanied Taeyeon as she drowned herself in working on the poster that Mr Lee wants.
Smacking down the pencil on the bench table, the frustrated girl tore off the page of her notepad, a repeated action ever since she has commenced on her task. Balls of crumpled paper were scattered over the bench as Taeyeon added another to the tally.


Resting her forehead against the knuckles of her right fist, the disheartened soul lowers her eyelids before her lashes are affixed to the bottom of the eye by the wetness of a falling tear.
Breathing in deeply through her nose, Taeyeon hopes the fresh intake of air could somehow clear her mind and alleviate the accumulating stinging sensation in her heart.


Her mind has been preoccupied with all the things that occurred earlier in the day. They were bugging her so much that she could not place her focus on coming up with a design, not even a decent rough sketch. It made her begin to doubt her own drawing abilities as well, and it is the one and only capability that she have. Incompetence, Uselessness, Unworthiness and all sorts of pessimistic words are cramming up in her mind. Fear and apprehension is back to haunt her again. After all, they have been residing in Taeyeon’s heart for the past thirteen years.


Taeyeon stared blankly at her notepad before she began to produce lines on the clean sheet of paper again. This time, instead of lines and curves, the petite girl inscribed chunks of words on it.


Tiffany, how long have you waited for me? How long more are you going to do so? Perhaps I ain’t worth the wait after all. I am, and will be the only hindrance in your life, because I can’t even accomplish simple things such as facing my true feelings. How am I, going to be the one to walk you through the rest of your life?


Tearing off the freshly written page, Taeyeon gripped onto it tightly, creasing it in the process while she throws herself into another string of meaningless thoughts once more, unaware of the vibration that was produced by her mobile on the table.












Glancing at the wall clock for the umpteenth time, Tiffany knitted her brows in frustration as she has not received a reply from her friend. She was sure that she had sent the message after repeated checks on the ‘outbox’ folder in her phone. It was rare for Taeyeon to not respond to her message, as her smaller friend would always give an answer back even if she was caught in something important. Fifteen minutes was the maximum time that Taeyeon would take to reply Tiffany’s messages, however, half an hour has passed and the taller girl’s phone remained silent. Pursing her lips worriedly, she decided to send another message to her un-contactable friend.


Taeyeon ah…. Where r u? Have u received my msg earlier? I’m done with work… I shall wait for u at e main entrance of e hospital. 


Tiffany aimlessly scanned her surroundings, letting out a huge sigh when Taeyeon was still nowhere in sight. It has been twenty minutes, totting up to a total of fifty minutes waiting for her friend. The taller girl dislikes the idea and feeling of waiting for Taeyeon, as it somehow implies that her friend could be involved in a bad incident. 


“Don’t tell me that Taeyeon….” Without hesitation, Tiffany began to sprint back into the hospital’s compound.


***


“Why is she taking so long?” A girl with long jet black hair kicked and circled her slim legs as she sat on the bench, feeling bored. She looks at the other teenagers being picked up by their respective families and presumed that Taeyeon’s speech lesson has already ended. Then again, her smaller pal did not appear and pounced on her like she usually does. 


Tiffany stood up, determined to locate Taeyeon but halted her steps when she felt a tap on her shoulders.


“Are you Taeyeon’s family member? She is currently in the sickbay…” A tall young lady informed Tiffany and brought her to where Taeyeon was in a jiffy.


“Taetae….! Are you alright?! Her body is hot… Is she having a fever?” The taller teenager enquired frantically while she placed her hands on the smaller girl’s forehead and cheeks. 


“I’ve feed her some medicines. She is allowed to rest here a little while more and you can take her home after she felt better.”


Tiffany thanked the former before shifting her attention to her buddy who was lying weakly on the bed. 


“Taetae… You were still fine in the morning….” Streaks of tears trickled down the younger girl’s clear white face as she held Taeyeon’s hands. She then felt some light on her palm as Taeyeon traced some words on it with her fingers.


I don’t want to worry you.


“Silly….” Tiffany pouted at her friend before slouching down to place her head on the smaller girl’s chest, dampening the latter’s clothes with her falling tears.



***












A sense of familiar relief rushed through Tiffany when she spotted Taeyeon sitting on the bench next to the fountain. Without any delay, she made a dash towards the unaccompanied figure.


“Kim Taeyeon!!!” The taller girl was obviously frustrated as she addressed the latter by her full name. 


Taeyeon was taken by surprise upon the sudden outburst. In spite of that, she momentarily look away to hide her anguish face as soon as she lifted her head to meet Tiffany’s livid one.


“Why didn’t you respond to my messages? Do you know how worried I was?” 


Taking an indolent glance at her phone, Taeyeon pressed her lips together as more tears threatened to fall off her eyes. She had never felt so emotional before. She is losing control. 


Tiffany took a quick look around the area, astounded by the mess and clutters of waste papers.


“Taeyeon….? Taeyeon ah…. Please don’t scare me… What’s wrong?” Aware of the uncharacteristic behaviour displayed by her friend, Tiffany knelt down beside Taeyeon, placing a hand on her laps while attempting to reach for the latter’s cheeks, only to be taken aback when the smaller girl retracted her head to avoid her touch. That insignificant action by Taeyeon stabbed Tiffany deep in the heart.


“Are you feeling stressed by your job? Take things easy ok? I am always here… Perhaps I could help…” 


Tiffany felt droplets of warm tears falling on the back of her hand which was lying on top of Taeyeon’s lap. Looking up, the smaller girl was only shaking her head from side to side robotically. 


No, you can’t.


“Have some faith in yourself Taetae… I will help you overcome this obstacle together…”


Tiffany’s consoling words might have worked effectively on others but not Taeyeon this time. It only placed more pressure and emotional tensions on the smaller girl, plying down as weights on her shoulders as she felt undeserving of the latter’s care and concern. 


“Taeyeon… Confide in me….” The words of the younger woman reverberated through the air in a pleading whisper. Her lips were trembling as she looks intently at her weeping friend. Tiffany was fearful as well, because Taeyeon has never looked so vulnerable in front of her. Reaching for the enclosed fists of the latter, Tiffany held them cautiously, handling them like brittle and delicate crystal balls. 


On the contrary, Taeyeon slid her own hands off Tiffany’s and stood up, preparing to turn and get away. She even waved off a subsequent clutch on her right arm by Tiffany before waving her arms in frustration.


Leave me alone.


Hearts break and fall as the distance between them lengthens. Tiffany in particular was overwhelmed by Taeyeon’s hurtful actions. She could not figure out the source of stress that her pal is experiencing from as she plops down on the bench, dejected. Despite having a murky vision, she noticed a half-crinkled paper stabilised by a pencil on the table. It was then that her initial puzzlement and misunderstandings of her friend was cleared and fully explained by Taeyeon’s emotive words.


She became conscious of her smaller friend’s lack of self-worthiness and she quavered upon the uncanny resemblance to Yuri’s predicament. Gripping onto the piece of paper tightly in her hands, she quickened her pace in the direction of a fleeing Taeyeon, convinced of what she is going to do.


“Taeyeon ah….!” Her determination aids in lessening the distance between them with the least time spent. Grabbing hold of the smaller girl’s hand as she closes in, she spun her around before pulling Taeyeon by the waist and reduced the distance between them, crashing her lips onto the latter’s. Tiffany could not come up with a rationale behind her impulsive action in the back of her mind, but it was of no necessary when she was clear of her objective. She only know she is holding nothing back as she asserts more pressure on Taeyeon’s lips, gently letting her actions convey her genuine feelings.


Fluttering her eyes shut as a tear rolled down her cheeks, Taeyeon savoured Tiffany’s warm lips as she wards off all the irrelevant thoughts that were hounding her mind earlier. It was a kiss of assurance, a kiss that acts like an illuminated flame, melting down the ice walls that surrounds the petite girl. Taeyeon ease herself in her friend’s arms as she gradually secure her hands around Tiffany’s slender waist, returning the hug weakly. All the happenings felt like a roller-coaster ride for Taeyeon. In spite of the twist and turns, she knows that she will be back to the safety platform once more. 


Tiffany releases her hold on Taeyeon as she slowly breaks away from the kiss, lifting her hands onto the wetted cheeks of the smaller girl’s instead, wiping away those tears that continued to stream down before cupping the face delicately. 


“Do you know how much it hurts me to see you like this?” The angelic eyes of Tiffany catches and grabs Taeyeon’s rounded orbs tenderly, just like the way she held her cheeks. The older woman could now look straight into the other pair of hazel eyes which display strength and hope as she pays attention to each and every word that escape from the latter subsequently. 


Absorbing a deep breath, Tiffany releases her emotions and sentiments that were choking up .


“Taeyeon ah… I may not be able to alleviate your problems and fears completely. However, I am confident that I would be able to lessen the pain that you’re going through.”


Greater warmth was derived from Tiffany’s promises than the pair of soft hands on her cheeks as Taeyeon continues to listen with bated breath. 


“I may have wrong perceptions of love in the past. But now… I can confidently say that I have clearly understood it. Loving you has taught me the deepest meanings in this unfathomable entity.”


“You have accepted me as what I am, why can’t I accept your imperfections as a person too? Love is all about acceptance Taeyeon…”


At that moment, Taeyeon has somehow found the strength that she has been seeking for over the years. It was in Tiffany.


Smiling as she looks down to break away from the eye contact with Taeyeon, Tiffany took another deep breath as she muster all the courage to make her decisive and ultimate statement. 


“Taetae… I am your childhood playmate… housemate… friend… supporter… and soulmate… Can I be selfish and greedy to add another one to the list? Can I be your love…? The one to lead you on for the rest of your life?”


Her hands began to tremble as well after the earlier confession. Tiffany had her apprehensions too. But she fully comprehend the need for one of them to show the way to a new path. Now that she has opened the pavement, all she is waiting for was the other to take her hand and join her in the new journey.


This time, the smile on Taeyeon’s was earnest as she nodded positively at Tiffany. She could not show it in a better way other than to take her hand on the back of the taller girl’s head to pull her in for an affectionate hug. 


Yes. You will be the only one to own my heart.


Both girls smile against each other’s shoulders as they bury themselves in a tight loving hug. 


Being the first to pull away from the embrace, it was Taeyeon’s turn to place her hands on the other’s cheeks, rubbing it tenderly before leaning in to place her lips onto Tiffany’s familiar plump ones for the second time.


I love you. 


A kiss was more than enough to express her unspoken feelings. 



A moment like this
Some people wait a lifetime for a moment like this
Some people search forever for that one special kiss
Oh, I can't believe it's happening to me
Some people wait a lifetime for a moment like this

 

=============================================

btw there will be a total of 15 chaps excluding an epilogue....

which means we're already 1/2 way thru ^^

 

thanks so much for all the lovely comments =D

<3<3<3<3<3

u guys are awesome! *thumbs*