New Year

The Sun, The Moon and The Earth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There was the noise of gregarious enchantment and boisterous music from below him. Myungsoo locked his room, not wanting any of his flatmates’ guests from entering inside. He was only reminded of how he hated the company of a large crowd. True, he was not a people's person. Ironically, he was a doctor, in his first year of residency now.

    The sound of music muffled against the wooden door, like a waning heartbeat. He sat back down at his desk, with only a lamplight to provide him comfort. It was nearing eleven p.m at his side. It would be morning in Boston, and soon enough, Suzy would have landed among the dizzying towers of the metropolis.

    He paused for a moment to retrace his thoughts. It was the right thing to do, he hoped. He asked for matron’s permission before speaking to Suzy. He also made sure that Jongin would take the weekend flight just to give Suzy and Hongbin a chance at reunion. Perhaps he was a fool, unable to understand the own clockworks of his heart. They told him that he had a heart made out of stone, but they did not know his heart was like any other man’s; made out of flesh and blood.

    The computer came live.  White light emitted from the screen, before the pall took the shape of Hongbin's face and shoulders. He had already spoken to Hongbin the day he found out about his injuries. The younger man used to be full of smiles and jokes, but now that gleam in his eyes, that warmth from his soul, it seemed to have died. He stared at Myungsoo with a gauche expression, not even smiling when he greeted him.

    “You happy to be home?” Myungsoo smiled nevertheless. Hongbin had always been his friend for many years. They shared a lot of secrets together, years of frustration and admiration accumulating between them.

    A hint of a smile graced his friend's lips. “Yeah, of course.” There was a tensive pause. “And I might feel better once Suzy gets here.” An intake of breath. “And the rest of you.”

    Myungsoo nodded. “It's been a long time coming. Five years, actually.”

Hongbin chuckled. It sounded very fake to him. “Sometimes it feels like yesterday when we were celebrating my eighteenth. Weird how life works really. I thought of traveling the world when I came here.” His countenance turned grim. His lips twisted dismally. “Guess I'll be stuck on a wheelchair for the rest of my life.”

    Myungsoo could feel the colour leave his face. Such a pessimistic response was unlike the friend he had known over the years. Hongbin, who was anything but unhappy. Hongbin, whose bright personality was so contagious, it even transferred to him. Hongbin, who only ever perceived the good in any outcome, and in people.

    Time had changed his best friend. He refused to try and diagnose him, because Myungsoo could only deliver was facts and statistics. How often did spinal injuries and leg fractures heal completely? What were the chances that he could walk again? What sort of ominous fate had fallen on this young man, who only ever wanted to do good for others. He was the type of person who would sell his kidney to save his friend's life!

And people claimed that God existed…

    “Come on, Hongbin,” said Myungsoo, his mouth dry and brittle. “You're in America. They have the best doctors there-”

    “Who told me I might not walk again? I was bedridden for a whole month!” Rubbing his face, Hongbin leaned back. He seemed wasted. Done with life. “Sorry, Myungsoo.”

    What a sensitive soul, and only Myungsoo would understand what he was apologizing for. “Don't fret it.” He had to divert the topic. “So, who's picking Suzy from the airport? Is there space at your place for her? Would you prefer if I book a hotel?”

    “Easy on the questions, old pal. I have two spare rooms. So make sure you and Jongin get here too. And to answer your first question, Taekwoon and Ken will pick her up at the airport. I'm to stay at home because it's a long drive.” There was no excitement about Suzy’s imminent arrival. “I'm very tired after getting discharged.”

    “I can imagine.” Or did he? Myungsoo had luck on his side. He could still walk without being dependant on anything or anyone. “But we'll be there soon, Bean. Just wait for us. I've taken annual leave next month. It'll be great, like old times again.”

“Old times,” said Hongbin, the words rolling off his tongue like they held no meaning. “I didn't want this.”

    Myungsoo arched a brow. It took a while but slowly, the frustration of dealing with his woes pressed him. “What?”

    Hongbin shook his head. “Nevermind.”

He pursed his lips, to trap the voiceless thoughts in his mouth. They were not worthy of a voice. “So, I have a story to tell you. There was this old man in the clinic today…”

 

Suzy’s nerves were tingling when she landed in Boston. Sleep-deprived, thirsty and in need of a shower, she dragged her suitcases through the security check. During the flight, which had a transition

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter