Worries and Fears

Silent Chaos

"So, you mean to tell me, that you can't go back home until your horn heals and can make a portal back to the demon world?"

 

Taekwoon nodded, soft hair falling over his eyes, while Bean seems too comfortable sleeping on Taekwoon's lap to give her real owner any form of attention. Hakyeon sighed and just flopped backwards to the arm of the couch. Staring at the paint of his ceiling seems so calming right about now.

 

After getting to hear Taekwoon talk for the first time an hour ago, Hakyeon had finally gotten the chance to ask him all the questions that had occupied his mind all day. Well, that is after he got over the initial shock of finding a hornless and very human looking Taekwoon, not to mention incredibly gorgeous.

 

His not-so-demon-anymore companion had told a very flustered him something about balancing energies and needing at least a day in this world to be able to turn, or at least appear to be human. Hakyeon didn't really understand it, but he guessed it's all about that magic stuff a mere human like him doesn't have.

 

Taekwoon had explained about the attack to their kingdom, ("You're a prince?!", "Yes. I'm the eldest.") then to the unfortunate event of almost getting killed, the damage done to his horn because of a specialized weapon and why it doesn't heal as quickly as his other injuries, and finally to escaping here in the human world to recuperate.

 

"Is your damaged horn also the reason you were so overwhelmed with sounds before?" Hakyeon asked, opting to continue staring at the off-white paint of his ceiling. He thinks he needs to get it repainted soon, maybe blue would look nice.


He didn't hear an answer immediately, so he picked himself up again, finding Taekwoon with a hand on the side of his head where his horn was. The scene looked almost sad. "Yeah. With my horn damaged, I couldn't control my power so every sound became magnified for my already sensitive sense of hearing..." Taekwoon touched the mufflers still nestled around his neck, playing with the soft earmuffs absently. "I'll also be forced to stay in this form until I heal. While human, my power has been reduced to that of a human's capacity. I feel weak but at least I can't hear anything beyond this room."

 

He paused for a moment, looking at Hakyeon, then somewhere lower, somewhere around his chest. "Even your heartbeat that has sounded so loud before." he added. He touched his head one more time, taming the hair there before smiling a little at Hakyeon. "But I think this form is a lot better than my incapacitated demon form."

 

Hakyeon heaved a sigh of relief. It appears that the gods had heard his prayers. It would mean that Taekwoon didn't hear how loud his heartbeat was earlier when he saw him looking all human. 

 

"Such a shame." 

 

It was spoken so softly but Hakyeon still heard the almost whispered words. It puzzled him about the reason behind it. Taekwoon has such a disappointed expression on his face as he said the words, showing such a bitter smile as he pets Bean's fur.

 

"Why?" he found himself asking, surprising even himself. Taekwoon also looked surprised for a bit, probably not expecting for Hakyeon to hear the words at all, but then his hand resumed, tracing the cat's alternating colors of black and white.

 

"I quite like the sound of your heart. It's strong and feels so alive. It's calming."

 

Hakyeon was glad Taekwoon wasn't looking at him. He at least had the chance to grab the pillow on the couch and hug it to himself, hiding what's probably very pink cheeks. "Stupid overly honest demon.", he muttered to himself.

 

"I think I should go now." Taekwoon said then, picking up Bean off of his lap and depositing her on the couch. She opened her eyes and sat up properly, Hakyeon did, too. 

 

"Where? You can't go back home, you just said that." Did he miss anything from Taekwoon's story? An alternative way to return to his world?

 

"You're right. I can't." He stood up, but didn't elaborate his answer any further. "Thank you for letting me stay until I was capable of turning human. I'll be sure to payback your kindness, though I am not sure when that will be." He scratched his neck a little, feeling embarrassed about the uncertainty of his promised return of Hakyeon's generosity.

 

~*~

 

It had been less than five minutes since Taekwoon walked out of his door. He doesn't know why but he feels like he shoud've followed him, stopped him, asked him more and maybe... he doesn't really know. It just felt like he shouldn't have just simply waved a timid hand when Taekwoon left.

 

Bean seems to be sharing the same thoughts. She hasn't taken her eyes away from the front door ever since. She keeps flicking her tail like she's waiting for Taekwoon to come right back in and pick her up again.

 

He sighed, knowing he's probably just being stupid, generally stupid and stupidly attached on someone he'd been with for just a day. He ruffled his hair harshly, trying to forget about Taekwoon and the comfortable silence they shared.

 

"Bean, come here and eat." he said, filling her bowl with catfood. She glanced at him, flicked her tail again but made no move to approach her food. She looked at the food Hakyeon was offering, then meowed loud and high pitched. It surprised him a lot. She had been exceptionally quiet today, something he just realized. But right now, she actually sounded mad, like she's finally realizing that Hakyeon had allowed Taekwoon to leave and that he won't be coming back again any time soon.

 

He feels like she's scolding him from doing so. "Hey. Don't be mad at me. He left on his own!" he complained, staring right back at her. He also put his hands on his hips for good measure. It wasn't his fault that Taekwoon left. He didn't kick him out. Bean has no right to be mad at him.

 

She continued to stare at him, letting little sounds bubble from , telling him how displeased she is by the answer.

 

He groaned. "What do you want me to do?!"

 

She flicked her tail again, meowed long and high pitched before looking at the door then back at him. Hakyeon doesn't need a cat translator to understand what that meant. "Follow him, you idiot!"

 

Hakyeon decidedly ignored her. There's a high chance he's just projecting what he wants to his cat. It wasn't like he actually wanted him to stay, or that he really enjoyed his company, or that he would miss the little smiles and his comforting presence. He was just worried for an acquaintance, that's all.

 

He shuffled back to the kitchen, checking what he can cook for his dinner. That's right. He should've made Taekwoon eat before he left. Where would he eat dinner? Or... where would he even sleep for tonight? Does he even have any money on him?

 

"This world's dragon eggs were delicious. Or maybe it was because you cooked them. Nevertheless, thank you for today."

 

Taekwoon had said that before he left. Hakyeon had been slightly confused at that moment, but now, looking at his carton of eggs and remembering what he prepared for breakfast, Taekwoon staring at the eggs this morning, it finally clicked. Taekwoon doesn't even know what chicken eggs are. 

 

~*~

 

Bean continued to stare at the slightly ajar front door, flicking her tail and waiting. She can eat later, once everyone's back home.

 

~*~

 

"He couldn't have gone far." Hakyeon reminded himself. But he has looked around the block already and there was no sign of Taekwoon. It had been less than ten minutes. He should still be around. Hakyeon knows he has no money, or human money if he even has demon money. He also knows Taekwoon can't read human language, he tried communicating with him through writing after all. So unless some bad guys had kidnapped him already, he should still be nearby.

 

"Taekwoon!" he yelled, hoping that Taekwoon would hear him above all the noise of the streets.

 

Why the hell is he even running around at night looking for someone who just left on their own? To be honest, he doesn't know why either. The only thing he knows is that he can't leave Taekwoon alone in the human world without a single clue on how to live life as a human. He knows he'll just worry himself to death, and blame himself endlessly if something were to happen to him just because he allowed him to leave.

 

"Taekwoon!" He's heaving now, hands on his knees as he took large gulps of air. Where could he be? It shouldn't be this hard to spot him. Taekwoon was tall, even taller than Hakyeon, broader, too. He also still has the clothes he came here on. It should make him stand out like a sore thumb. So why can't he find him?

 

"Taek--"

 

"Hakyeon?"

 

Hakyeon turned around so fast he almost lost his balance. But then, Taekwoon was there behind him, looking like he didn't belong in the picture at all. Or maybe he really doesn't. He's still in his odd looking clothes and the mufflers around his neck just makes him look all the more ridiculous. The people passing by them are either trying their best not to stare at Taekwoon's exposed stomach or his gorgeous face, or just blatantly staring as they walk by.

 

Taekwoon looked worried but otherwise unharmed. He also looks like he wanted to touch Hakyeon, maybe check if he was okay, but his hands remain awkwardly suspended on air. Hakyeon took the decision from him and grabbed his arm. "Let's go back, Taekwoon."

~*~

 

"Hakyeon, are you sure? You don't really have to do this." Taekwoon asked, gripping the clothes Hakyeon had so generously handed to him. He had already felt bad about staying with him for an entire day, but what Hakyeon is saying right now is something more than just a day stay. He may not know the system of the human world, but he at least knows that letting a stranger house in another's home is a very troublesome, not to mention dangerous, matter.

 

"They're just a change of clothes, Taekwoon." Hakyeon said, pushing him to the direction of the bathroom.

 

"You know I am not just talking about the clothes..." he tried to say but now that he's in human form, Hakyeon's strength appears to be on the stronger side. He knows he would have no problem overpowering Hakyeon if he was in his original form even though he's a single horn. Humans are just generally weaker than demons. But like this, Hakyeon is definitely the stronger one between them.

 

"I'll cook while you take a bath. I'm sure those would fit you, but if you're not comfortable in them, just tell me and we'll try to look for others."

 

"Hakyeon, this is--"

 

"Stupid?"

 

"Yes." Actually, he has other words in mind, but "stupid" just about cover what he wanted to say.

 

"Thank you. I'm quite aware." Hakyeon said, seemingly amused at being called stupid.

 

Taekwoon did his best to keep himself in place, turning around to face this very kind, but still very stupid human. Once he successfully did, Hakyeon had slumped his shoulders in resignation, preparing himself for a talk he expected to have.

 

"I may not know how human's system work entirely, but in my world, this kind of act isn't safe." he argued, clutching the clothes tighter to himself.

 

"Oh, it is here, too." Hakyeon agreed. "But you said so right? You can't return to your world, nor do you have any connection here."

 

"And that is my problem. It shouldn't be yours. You have already let me stay for more than a day, to which I am very thankful. I don't want to abuse your kindness by overstaying." He appreciates Hakyeon's kindness, really he does. But this isn't safe. He wouldn't do anything to Hakyeon, but what if he had picked up someone else, someone dangerous, someone who would harm him. Or just the fact that someone can easily abuse the kindness Hakyeon seemingly offers to everyone considering he's offering it to Taekwoon whom he barely knows.

 

"You're free to leave if you dislike staying with me." he replied quite stubbornly, like Taekwoon's words weren't getting to him at all.

 

"That is not what I'm saying." Taekwoon said, not knowing how to explain this in a way that Hakyeon would accept.

 

"Look, if you're fine staying with me, I'd rather you do, or I'll just worry myself to death wondering if you're already dead in a ditch somewhere." Hakyeon argued, all playfulness gone. He looked really worried and Taekwoon is plain confused why Hakyeon cares so much. It's true he doesn't have a way to go back home, or anyone he can stay with in the human world. He doesn't even know anything about this world except those he learned from books and Youngmin. But Hakyeon shouldn't even be carrying that problem, too.

 

"Why do you care so much?" he asked, but the question was more of a tone of surrender. It appears that it won't be Hakyeon getting convinced tonight.

 

"To be honest, I don't know either. I just feel like I shouldn't leave you alone to fight the world like a newborn." Hakyeon answered, his features softening and Taekwoon was once again reminded of how beautiful this human is. And kind. So very kind to the point of stupid.

 

"I know you're calling me stupid in your head right now." he warned, giving Taekwoon a stern look.

 

He allowed himself to laugh a little, "If I didn't know any better, I would assume you had the power to read minds like Hongbin." Hakyeon smiled at him, relieved, knowing he had won thiis arguement. "But this means that you will allow me to leave the nest when I am not anymore, as you said, a " newborn"."

 

"I will reconsider once you learned how to use the elevator and cross the streets."

 

~*~

 

He doesn't know if he was lucky or unlucky about the turn of events. On one side, he unnecessarily exhausted himself running around when in fact Taekwoon had used the stairs to get down to the first floor. That was why, Hakyeon actually exited the building first since he used the elevator. Taekwoon also didn't get the chance to get anywhere at all, being stuck on this side of the road because he didn't know how to cross the busy streets full of cars. Hakyeon had unconsciously made a full circle, ending right back to the front of his building where Taekwoon was.

 

Looking back on it again, there really was no way Taekwoon would've survived on his own. It really was the right decision to look for him.

 

There was the sound of very soft footsteps behind him. Hakyeon turned and sure enough, there was Taekwoon, dressed in the bear themed pajamas he bought last month which were unfortunately a bit too big on him. He looked softer like this, his hair damp and cheeks pink from the warm bath. He also fits in the picture better. He actually looks like just one of Hakyeon's friends staying the night.

 

Bean had been attached to Taekwoon ever since he returned, circling his feet when she's not in Taekwoon's arms, only leaving his side when he had gone to the bathroom, which she conveniently used to eat her dinner. Hakyeon actually feels betrayed and he made sure to glare at her for the betrayal.

 

"I hope you like egg soup." Hakyeon said, already scooping some of it in a bowl. "By the way, these aren't dragon eggs, they're chicken eggs." he said, remembering how Taekwoon referred to them earlier.

 

"What is a chicken?" Taekwoon asked, genuinely curious, and Hakyeon found himself shaking his head.

 

~*~

 

Snow and Spirit had successfully made it to where Hongbin was, unnoticed. Once together, Spirit also included Hongbin in the silent bubble he created for them. Hongbin looked them over, and released a sigh of relief finding them both unharmed.

 

He tried to channel Sky again, trying to figure out where the little fox is. With his pet, he doesn't need to see the little guy to read him. Sky was his complement after all. Therefore, he can connect to him wherever he is. And possessing the same power as Hongbin to read people's mind as long as he can see them, it automatically results to Hongbin being able to read the people Sky can see. Like this, his pet actually serves as his extended pair of eyes.

 

Hongbin looked at the pair next to him again. Snow was trying her best to hide behind Spirit, still whining, undoubtedly because of being unable to help Sanghyuk. Spirit, on the other hand, looked at him, as if he was asking where his owner is. His single horn, reminded Hongbin greatly of Taekwoon's damaged one. He's sure Spirit wouldn't like the news no matter how calm and collected the panther is.

 

Animals in the demon world are all born hornless, while their power stay dormant until a demon forms a contract with them. Their power take the shape of their owner's, complementing them, in order to be able to stay by their person's side at all times. That is also the time their horns materialize, a miniature copy of what their demon possess. Inheriting their owner's character and personality isn't really a proven case, but Spirit and Snow sure acts like Taekwoon and Sanghyuk.

 

He tore his eyes away from Spirit. He would tell them everything later, once they're in a safer place. 

 

Hongbin sensed Sanghyuk's consciousness stir in accordance to the sound of thunder from the sky. He isn't waking up yet, but instead... he's dreaming... an old memory.

 

Sanghyuk walked the hallways, keeping his hands on his ears. His blanket was also dragging on the floor, but he was too terrified to care. It would be another night of the sky being loud and noisy.

 

There was an exceptionally loud roar which has little Sanghyuk screaming and crying on his spot.

 

The room he was going to was still so far away and his vision was already blurry from tears. He wrapped his blanket around himself even if he knows it won't stop the sound of thunder at all. Still, he walked. The sooner he reaches the room, the sooner--

 

Another roar and he was screaming again, his entire form trembling. "Hyung... Hyung... Hyukkie is scared. Hyung..."

 

Suddenly, there was nothing but silence. Sanghyuk wiped his face with his blanket and found Taekwoon smiling down at him. "Want to sleep with hyung tonight?" he asked, to which Sanghyuk nodded enthusiastically. The fear was melting away. The thunder... he can't hear them at all now that Taekwoon is here.

 

His older brother picked him up, and Sanghyuk immediately pillowed his head on Taekwoon's shoulder. He feels so tired and sleepy now. "Hyung... Hyukkie isn't scared anymore." he mumbled and Taekwoon laughed, carefully carrying him back to his room.

There was a loud rumble from the sky and Hongbin could almost see Sanghyuk flinch. He got better at hiding his fear of thunder, but to Taekwoon and Hongbin, he was still the little Sanghyuk who would trudge his way to Taekwoon's room whenever there is a thunderstorm.

 

"Hyung... I'm scared." he mumbled softly. "I'm scared."