Broken Barriers

Silent Chaos

There were far too many enemies. Sanghyuk found himself stopping at every room to help out one of their people. He'd lost count how many he'd left with ice spears to their chest, instructing the soldiers within the vicinity to tie them all up. He also briefly saw a flash of lightning at one of the windows and he just knows their father was holding his own somewhere. 

 

He knows the neighboring kingdom recently had their new king and they were actually supposed to meet with them soon. He hadn't expected this though. He had heard the new successor to the throne was quite the problem child but not to this point. They've had a good relationship with the neighboring kingdoms that an infiltration like this hasn't happened in the last century.

 

There was a spark from the outside, followed by a scream Sanghyuk recognized. One look at the window and he confirmed his suspicion. Sungjae, his friend and lieutenant, was terribly outnumbered. His black wing was bleeding and the wound wasn't closing at all. How the hell did they get a hold of so much shadow blades?! Sanghyuk cursed. Mining it had been banned by the demon world for decades to prevent the unnecessary deaths for their kind. But it was obvious that the other side possess a lot of it.

 

He opened the window, flying a good distance above the ground before shooting down all the enemies within his line of sight. Sungjae looked at the source of the attack before collapsing at his spot. The attack barely did anything. Most of the demons surrounding Sungjae are three-horns that have hardened skin or enhanced speed, deflecting or dodging most of Sanghyuk's attack. But none of them were getting close to him. So it seems like they know a lot about how he fights, since if any of them gets close enough, he can just encase them in ice like what he did earlier.

 

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw one of the enemy approach Sungjae's unconscious form, a black blade glinting at its side. He lost it then, swooping down in a heartbeat and swatting the demon away with his wings. He felt them dig into the three-horn's skin as he flicks it away. He stood in front of Sungjae defensively, flicking his wing to get rid of the blood at its tips.

 

Wrong move.

 

Immediately, his knees folded underneath him. His vision getting blurry. He chanced a look at his wings and the blue was quickly turning purple. The three-horned he threw earlier was smirking even as it was slumped on the wall. Poisoned blood, he belatedly realized. Damn! They totally researched about his fighting style. 

He struggled to stay conscious but the poison was spreading in him fast. He can't even feel his wings anymore. The ice from his hair, horns and armor was falling off, melting at a speed too fast for his comfort because it means he's about to lose consciousness. But he refuses to go down without a fight. He took out around more than five of them, pierced their hearts and sliced flesh, but a hard blow behind his head has him crushing to the ground, motionless.

 

~*~

 

Hakyeon heaved a huge sigh as he stood in the middle of his kitchen. What the hell is he doing?

 

He knows taking in a stranger he found in a dark alleyway, all banged up and unconscious should scream DANGEROUS! already. But no. His stupid had to take it up a notch and pick up a stranger with a ing horn and freaking wings!

 

Who knew his quiet Friday night can change so much within 10 minutes, just because he ran out of cat food for Bean. He thought he'll just swing by the nearby grocery store then he can worm his way under his blankets and watch all the dramas he missed this week. He never would've imagined he'd end up bringing home someone who just might kill him when it wakes up.

 

He sighed again. He can regret this all he wants but he just knows he won't be able to walk away that alleyway and ignore someone badly hurt and needed help. Even if that someone has a huge possibility of killing him, or asking for his soul, or his blood. 

 

Maybe he should give Wonshik a call, tell him to take care of Bean for him if he disappears. Or maybe even Jaehwan. Yeah. That might be a good idea. Or you can just throw the guy out, the sensible part of his brain whispered back. But Hakyeon is stupid, so the sensible part of him was painfully ignored.

 

He should feed Bean and get back... Hakyeon paused. Speaking of his cat... 

 

Hakyeon looked around himself and found none of the black and white furball. He half expects her to be meowing loudly by now, circling his feet and looking at him with her big eyes, demanding to be fed. But she's nowhere to be seen. He even looked in the living room but no cat was lazing around there either. Oh well, Hakyeon gave a one shouldered shrug. She'll come to the kitchen when she gets hungry.

 

Grabbing the first aid kit from the bathroom, he went back to his room where he left the winged stranger. He thought about just putting it on the sofa but then someone might come and how the hell would he explain that. The next best choice he had was his bedroom. You're really gonna get yourself robbed or killed one day, Hakyeon., his mind supplied unnecessarily.

 

Its shoulder was badly injured and who knows where else it can be hurt. Maybe if this was a more normal situation, Hakyeon would call an ambulance instead. But as it is... what the hell would he say when he calls for one? "Hi? Uhm... there's a guy with wings and a horn that needs medical attention." That might end up with him being the one taken to the hospital instead. So despite his very basic knowledge of addressing wounds, he will have to do it himself. He just hopes the guy doesn't have any wounds that needs stitching or anything more serious than applying antiseptic and wrapping up in bandages. Because seriously, those are the only things he can offer.

 

As he opened the door, Hakyeon saw a black and white lump near the headboard of the bed. Bean was calmly sitting on the bed, just quietly observing the current occupant. Her tail swishing left and right with interest.

 

He approached, being soft with his steps. His cat aknowledged his presence and stared at him but made no move to leave the stranger's side. She just kept swishing her black tail, waiting for Hakyeon to come closer.

 

Carefully, Hakyeon took out some gauze and antiseptic and anything he might need to treat possible wounds. He hasn't checked yet but with the state of its clothes, Hakyeon is quite sure there are more than a few parts that needs medical attention. But when he was close enough, he ended up furrowing his eyebrows. The stranger's shoulder has no signs of any of the wound Hakyeon saw earlier. He was sure it was injured because he avoided that side when he carried it in. But then... there was nothing but pale, soft looking skin. 

 

He looked at Bean in utter confusion but she just blinked at him, her eyes ever so innocent. Great!

 

~*~

 

Taekwoon was pulled out harshly from unconsciousness by the sound of loud banging. Like someone was hitting a wall repeatedly. But with his heightened sense of hearing, it feels like it's his skull getting hammered. 

 

He opened his eyes but his vision wasn't focusing at all, everything is so dark that all his focus is just going to how loud everything is. The pounding only feels like it's getting louder. He can still hear people walking, talking, things getting dropped, doors opening, even the wind was making a racket. He covered his ears harshly, the sounds got muffled but it was still too loud!

 

He wanted to cry. He was so tired and his head hurts so much, he just wanted to go back to sleep where it's at least quiet. 

 

At one point, he really did start crying. His sharp intake of breath just adding to the noise. Damn! Why does everything have to be so loud? He pressed on his ears stronger in hopes that it dulls the sounds but it doesn't.

 

The sound of a door opening reached him, the closest noise, the loudest. Then footsteps followed, getting even closer, getting even louder. All Taekwoon wanted to do was hide. Hide somewhere quiet. No more sounds. Please!

 

Warm arms wrapped themselves around his head, his face burrowed to the feel of cloth. The feeling warm. He can feel fingers combing his hair, then his back. A steady heartbeat was so close. Loud. And yet he finds himself relaxing. The rest of the world got muffled, like he somehow managed to get back inside his silent bubble, but with another person inside instead of him alone. He can't hear anything other than the strong heartbeat and the calm steady breathing. He followed it. Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale.

 

He hadn't noticed it earlier, but now he can smell something sweet. The smell of flowers, like a garden was just nearby, with blooming flowers. Is it spring right now? he thought briefly.

 

His muscles relaxed and yet he still made sure to keep a tight grip on the presence keeping him feel safe. His silent bubble. He was slipping back to sleep quickly. The sleepiness hanging to him heavily. Comfortable. He feels so comfortable. He wanted to go back to sleep already. It would be easy this time and his body surrendered to it immediately.

 

~*~

 

Hakyeon knew the exact moment he fell asleep. The tension of his shoulders easing under Hakyeon's hold. He had looked so miserable, clutching his ears like the hammering from next door was torturing him more than it should have. 

 

His heart just broke, seeing him crying. Before he knows it, he had him wrapped in his arms, trying to soothe him some. Hakyeon is glad it looked like it helped.

 

Hakyeon took his time to observe him. Ignoring the glaringly obvious horn, and the wings that somehow magically disappeared. He actually looks like Hakyeon's age, with sharp eyes and nose, and small thin lips. He has to admit, hlooks beautiful, inhumanely so, especially like this, so peaceful and calm. His chest now has a steady rise and fall, warm puffs of air getting breathed down Hakyeon's front.

 

Hakyeon tried to move away, fix him back on the bed so he can sleep more comfortably. But his attempt to leave was halted by the grip on his shirt. He was holding on to him tightly, like he knew Hakyeon would leave once he fell back asleep.

 

When Hakyeon tried to ease himself off, there was a soft whine that escaped him, then he proceeded to bury his face on Hakyeon's shirt, clutching him tighter to himself.

He considered just escaping quickly in one sharp movement, but then he remembered the expression he walked in on. 

 

For someone who intimidated him less than an hour ago, he had looked so small and weak earlier. Clutching his ears while he sobbed. It even looked like his own cries was torturing him. The poor guy.

 

The light is still on in the living room. He hasn't even changed into his pajamas. It was still early for him to be sleeping, especially on a Friday night.

 

Hakyeon stared at the ceiling for a few beats before sighing, ever so softly, not wanting to disturb the sleeping form of the person still clutching on to him. Okay. Fine. Let's sleep, he finally decided. He settled more comfortably on the bed. His horned stranger accomodated Hakyeon's change of position, settling himself right next to Hakyeon's chest, right above where his heart is.

 

Hakyeon sighed quietly again, before bringing his hand back to the mop of black hair,  him gently. He even let his hands wander to the portruding horn to the side of his head. Somehow, it doesn't unsettle him anymore.

 

He let his eyelids flutter close. The smell of gardenia from the lit candle, enveloping the room in a comfortable silence.