Heartbeat

Silent Chaos

The first thing Taekwoon noted was the sound of a beating heart, strong and loud, and oddly comforting. The second, was the realization that, if there is a heartbeat, that means someone is nearby, most probably next to him on the bed right at this moment.

 

Panicking, he struggled out of the arms he belatedly realized were holding him. The blankets, which were also wrapped around him, pulled him down along with the body he just pushed away. There was a very loud thud followed by an indignant squawk, which has him pressing on his ears again.

 

He heard the groan, and with the proximity, even the way the person's lungs filled with air as if they're about to yell and Taekwoon was already shaking his head, fearing what yelling will do to him now. He pressed harder to his ears, waiting for the outburst. He waited, but the yelling didn't come. Curious, he chanced a look at the person he so conveniently used as a cushion when they both fell.

 

Expressive eyes were looking back at him, mixed with a hint of worry. He blinked back at the man. Yes, he's most definitely a man, even if he was one of the most beautiful person Taekwoon has seen. So this was the person who took him in and saved him from the outside world where the noise was enough to rob him off of his consciousness.

 

He made a zipping gesture on his lips, followed by a questioning look and Taekwoon realized what he was asking about. "No sounds?" He nodded, quite enthusiastically. He would really appreciate that.

 

The person made another gesture with his fingers that meant he understood Taekwoon's response. He also made to stand up and Taekwoon slid off of him as well. The wooden floor made a resounding thud when the man's hand connected to it as he moved away from under Taekwoon. It had him closing his eyes as he flinched.

 

It wasn't as torturing as before but the sounds were still at a degree where it overwhelms him. Probably around ten times his usual already sensitive sense of hearing. 

 

There was silence for a beat and then the man was moving with very careful footsteps, barely making any sound at all. Then he was crouching in front of Taekwoon, something white in his hands.

 

"Mufflers." he whispered, then proceeded to put them around his head before settling them gently on his ears. It muffled the surroundings a bit, but not by much. Still, it helped. He would definitely accept these mufflers things rather than leaving his ears completely exposed.

Taekwoon mouthed a "Thank you." as he pressed his hands on the object the beautiful man had given him. The thanks wasn't just for the item. It was for everything so far. Taking him in, letting him sleep on a comfortable bed, accommodating his need for silence. This person has done so much for him in such little time even if he's a total stranger. 

 

He allowed himself to look. The man before him really is beautiful, despite being human. Or maybe because he's human that's why it gave him this kind of glow Taekwoon didn't see on any demon. He looked so full of life and energy.

 

Hongbin's father, Youngmin, their teacher, had taught them that humans lack the in-born magic that all demons possess. Therefore, their heart, their blood, was what kept them alive. Maybe that explains the strong heartbeat Taekwoon can still hear despite the distance between them.

 

Demons, on the other hand, have light heartbeats because its only function was to pump blood and keep the magic in their body alive. This is the main reason why a strike to their heart is not enough to kill them. If the body fix it quick enough, the magic can hold out for a while longer. But when the heart takes too long to heal, the magic gets cut off in their system, which then leads to their death.

 

He can briefly remember the sound of a steady beat lulling him back to sleep the night before and now he's sure that this person was the one who helped him calm down when he was already in a panic attack, not knowing what to do in his state. Taekwoon also realized he most probably was at fault why they ended up sleeping together since he has some recollection about keeping a tight hold of the owner of the heartbeat.

 

"Are you feeling okay?" the human asked, mouthing the words in the barest of whispers.

 

To be completely honest, he wasn't. He doesn't know what has become of their kingdom. His last memory of Hongbin was in the hands of a three-horned. Sanghyuk, undoubtedly fighting and rescuing anyone he can. He really hopes his brother won't meet any trouble he can't handle. While he's here, in another world, incapable of even functioning normally, much less make a portal back home, until his horn heals.

 

The human didn't wait for his answer, probably figuring it out through his silence. "Are you hungry?" he asked again.

 

This time, Taekwoon managed to shake his head. He hasn't thought of food since he woke up and he doubts he'll feel hungry while he's still worried....

 

His refusal to eat was betrayed by the loud complaint of his stomach, loud enough to even reach the human's ears. Embarrassed, he ducked his head as his cheeks colored. How can he even be hungry while their kingdom is getting attacked. But it seems like his body refuses to let the situation get in the way of what it wants and it is demanding food now.

 

The sound of giggling reached his ears and Taekwoon looked up just in time to see the human with his shoulders shaking a little as he laughed behind his hand. He really is such a beautiful creature, Taekwoon mused.

 

~*~

 

Youngmin had said, that the large species of dragons were extinct in this world, but how small of a dragon replaced it to lay eggs as small as these?!

 

The beautiful human came back to his line of sight, and followed the direction of where he's looking. He smiled and mouthed "Eggs." at Taekwoon. Of course, he knows they're eggs, even if they are the smallest dragon eggs he has seen. Maybe, the human thought that he didn't know what eggs are. He let his frown say his complaint since he can't do so verbally.

 

Taekwoon heard the soft sound of a bell, followed by light steps coming their way. A look behind him showed him a small animal with fur in black and white combination. His eyes widened at the realization. He had only seen them in books and had always wanted to see them with his own two eyes. So it was true that humans have such a small variety of cats that they keep as pets. Cats as small as this one currently walking its way to them.

 

He crouched down gently, urging the little thing to come to him. It's so small, he can't believe a cat can be this small. Not even new born cats from his world is this small.

 

The black and white furball walked towards Taekwoon, rubbing its head on his outstretched hand and looking at him with its wide innocent eyes. He picked it up, once again delighted at how light it is and how well it fit in his arms.

 

The human took notice of the new addition to their company and extended a hand to rub around the cat's chin while it's comfortably nestled in Taekwoon's arms. It purred quietly. It wasn't loud enough to put him in pain or any discomfort and Taekwoon was glad for it.

 

"Bean. Jelly bean." he whispered, pointing at the cat currently snuggling to his chest.

 

Taekwoon smiled. He wanted to tell him about his own pet back home. Even if Spirit is a whole lot bigger than Bean, he's still such an adorable cat. The thought of it made him remember the situation he left their world in. He really hopes Spirit is wise enough to stay out of trouble and to keep Snow away from it, too.

 

~*~

 

"Snow! Don't! Get away from there!" Hongbin desperately tries to tell the two-horned white wolf.

 

After leaving the three-horned with a wound on its chest, Thank Sanghyuk for the dagger he handed Hongbin, he carefully rushed towards the palace grounds. He needs to assess the situation fast. He's aware that they are outnumbered since most of their troops were deployed because of the fake news about the trouble at the south. To make matters worse, they don't have enough dragons to get them all back as quickly as Sanghyuk did.

 

As he rounded the corner, Hongbin didn't expect to find Sanghyuk unconscious in the middle of a crowd of two-horns and three-horns. His wings are also in an unusual shade of nasty purple and there is a bleeding Sungjae right behind him. They aren't dead, Hongbin can still feel the presence of their mind at least. And based on what he's reading from the surrounding demons, they aren't planning on killing either of them... yet.

 

He was in the middle of weighing his options if he can somehow get Sanghyuk and Sungjae out of the current situation, when something white appeared at the corner of his eye. Snow, Sanghyuk's wolf, with her fur covered in ice, her eyes flashing blue from anger, and a growl bubbling down at the sight of its master in trouble was the sight that he came across with.

She's still partially hidden within the shadows of the castle but Hongbin can read the unmasked anger and its desire to attack. But Snow would only get herself hurt, or worse killed, if she attacks that crowd.

 

"Snow!"

 

But the wolf refuses to even look at his direction. Her fur bristled, hind legs preparing for a leap. Hongbin almost leaped out of his hiding spot as well. He doesn't know what he would've done but he knows he can't let Snow dive in there. Something black had tackled Snow back before he could get out of his place. The two creatures landed without a sound with black looming over white.

 

"Spirit!" Hongbin called, feeling both glad and relieved to see the panther.

 

Spirit acknowledged his presence with a look at his way. His eyes flashing gold but not as intense as Snow's. The white wolf was still pinned underneath him, ice slowly forming up the panther's legs. Her anger was still boiling thickly and not even Spirit's presence could calm her. Hongbin can see them both growling but there were no sounds, no doubt because of Spirit surrounding them in a silent bubble. 

 

With one sharp snap of its jaw at Snow, the wolf finally submitted to the panther. The ice receded, leaving Spirit's fur slightly damp. He nuzzled her,  the side of Snow's face, calming her down as she whines, still looking at Sanghyuk's unconscious form.

 

~*~

 

His phone vibrated next to him. Such little sound was enough to make Taekwoon flinch. Yes. After spending the entire day with the horned stranger, Hakyeon finally has a name he can call him. It didn't look like he's physically hurt anywhere, but loud sounds seem to be a total torture for him so Hakyeon had been careful about moving around the house.

 

If he will just ignore Taekwoon's horn, he really is just another person. He doesn't seem dangerous at all. Being amazed with Hakyeon's simple dishes, or playing with Bean all day, sitting on the sofa right now with the cat on his lap. It had been both an eventful and yet uneventful Saturday. Being with a demon and yet, just hanging out like everything was normal except it's not. He has tons of questions he wanted to ask, but whispering and mouthing words can only do so much. Also, Taekwoon can't understand human writings apparently.

 

Hakyeon grabbed his phone immediately and went outside the door, intending to answer it as far away to Taekwoon as possible. But what welcomed him outside was Wonshik walking towards his door.

 

"There you are!" he exclaimed. 

 

Hakyeon unconsciously flinched. Being with Taekwoon all day seems to have made him vulnerable to loud sounds, too. He tried to compose himself, facing Wonshik before he even got close to the door. 

 

Wonshik is still carrying his giant practice bag, obviously coming straight from his dance practice. It deeply reminded him of sweat-stained skin, body thrumming in tune with the speakers, hearty laughs, then to dimmed practice rooms, dark reflections, whispers from the crowd. Hakyeon shook himself away from the thoughts.

 

The younger male impatiently readjusted the strap of his bag. If Hakyeon can guess right, Wonshik came prepared with overnight clothes and his laptop that should contain the latest movie they all wanted to see. Food can always be bought from the 24 hour grocery store nearby so that never became a problem.

 

"What is it?" he asked, moving protectively in front of the entrance. He knows why Wonshik would be here. It's a weekend when they're all free after all.

 

"Let me crash here for tonight. You're free, right? We can go and call Jaehwan, too. I think he finishes with Vocal practice in an hour." Wonshik said, totally oblivious to the way Hakyeon was fidgeting.

 

"Can we not do it right now?" he said, grabbing Wonshik's hand as he was about to reach for the knob.

 

"Why not? You're free. You said so yesterday." 

 

Yes. He's free. Or was. And it wouldn't be an issue, if only there wasn't a demon lunging around his living room at the moment.

 

Wonshik didn't wait for Hakyeon's reply and went ahead and opened the door, letting himself inside Hakyeon's familiar home. "Wonshik! Wait! There's--"

 

"Hakyeon?"

 

Wonshik stopped. Hakyeon did, too. Wonshik looked back at him with a knowing smirk. "You should've just told me you were occupied." he said, giving Hakyeon an exaggerated shake of his head and a pat on the shoulder on his way out. "You need to tell us all the details." and then he was gone, closing the door gently behind him.

 

Hakyeon was left frozen in place and just staring. It's definitely Taekwoon. Bean is still in his arms. He's still in the odd looking clothes. But Taekwoon... He's....

The mufflers that he kept on all day is now hanging around his neck. His slicked black hair, falling gently over his sharp eyes. And his horn, Hakyeon's constant reminder that Taekwoon isn't human, is now nowhere in sight. The top of his head, nothing but fluffy looking black hair. Most importantly...

 

"Hakyeon? Is everything alright?"

 

...he's talking! With probably the sweetest voice Hakyeon has heard.

 

Just like this... he looks... in all ways human. An incredibly gorgeous human being. A fact he was trying to avoid thinking all day because Taekwoon is a demon and therefore he shouldn't really be crushing on him. But now...

 

He can hear his heartbeat with his own ears, thumping loudly against his chest. He knows Taekwoon has really sensitive ears but he sure damn hopes there is some kind of miracle that would make him unable to hear how Hakyeon's heart is trying to hammer out of his chest.