Chapter 4: Of Meanings, Men, and Mwahs

Cross Roads

 

-= Chapter 4: Of Meanings, Men, and Mwahs =-




A few days later, back in Korea…
 

“How are the girls?” Teddy asked the YGE CEO in the latter’s lavish office.


 “They’re doing great. Just concerned about Dara though,” Yang Hyun-Suk answered, not looking up from his papers.


“Dara? Well, I think she can make it. The girl’s got spunk and she has talent. Her voice has range. I mean, you can teach a singer tone, but not range, that has to come from the person herself. And among the four, she works the hardest,” Teddy answered, looking anxiously at their boss.


“Calm down, Teddy-ah. I won’t go back on my decision on making her part of the new girl group. You and Jiyong recommended her, so I know that she would do well. I can see how hard she is working. You have an eye for talent, and Jiyong won't stop singing her praises to me, as if I can't see them,” the boss answered.


Teddy smiled in relief and said, “Nah, not as great an eye as you have boss.”


“Besides, I find that the best performers are not those that are born great, but those who strive to be great. Dara, and the three girls still have that hunger and that drive. We must try our best to guide them.”


“Yeah, boss. I’m almost finished with most of their songs, and their debut single is ready for recording. We can record after Dara finishes shooting for Il Jimae.”


“Good, good.”


“By the way, have you thought of a name yet?”


“Frankly, no. Since you all hated the name I came up with," Hyun-Suk answered, eyeing the younger man shrewdly.

 

Teddy looked a bit uncomfortable, "No offense boss, but 'Tsunami'? Seriously, I mean come on!" he said with a slight, nervous laugh.

 

"I know," the president sighed, "That's why I’m leaving that to you and Ji-Yong. You two are the producers of their album anyway.”

 


“I have a suggestion.”
 

“Okay, what is it?”
 

“How about 2-N-E-1? But you pronounce it as 21.”

 


“Sounds interesting. Why that name?”
 

“Well, we want our new girl group to be a mold for the other groups, right? The N and E are for ‘New Evolution’ which is what they will be for the music industry dominated by girl groups with girly-girl images.”


“Uh-huh. Go on.”
 

“21 is for 21st century, and if we debut them next year, it could also stand to be the average of all the girls’ ages.”
 

“Hmmmm,” YG perused, looking up from his papers and staring at the ceiling.


“So?” Teddy prompted anxiously. He and Kush had brainstormed the name, right after they brainstormed one tune, which still had no lyrics.


“2NE1. I like it,” the boss finally answered, giving a smile.
 

“You do? That’s great!” the younger man exclaimed, leaning back on his chair.


“So, get ready Teddy. Next year, the world will see the debut of 2NE1,” YG said.


Teddy grinned as he felt his own excitement at the thought of being part of the start of a new evolution.



-------------------------------- [A/N] Boring section, I know. But quite necessary, I assure you... ^_^




“Thanks so much for seeing me out, you didn’t have to do this,” Dara said to the three girls she was walking with.


“We know. But we wanted to see you safely to the van before you pass out in excitement,” Bom teased, putting her hand on the other girl’s shoulder.

 

The four girls were headed out of YG building. Bom, Chae-Rin, and Minzy were accompanying Dara out to the company's van. She was set to shoot her cameo stint in the historical drama, "The Return Of Iljimae" that weekend, and all four of them were widly excited.


“And remember, unnie. It’s ‘otou-san’ and ‘okaa-san’. Put the stress of your tone on the second syllable, you keep making it in the third,” Chae-Rin reminded her, putting her arm on Dara’s other shoulder. She had been teaching her the proper way of pronouncing the few Japanese words that were on the script.


“Yeah, unnie, you say it like this,” Minzy said, helpfully demonstrating it for her older teammate.
 

“Okay. I’ll remember,” Dara said, smiling them, grateful for the support that her newly-formed team was giving her.


The three of them continued their talk as they descended to the ground floor of the YG building compound.


“Bye girls! Wish me luck!” Dara said, waving to Bom, Chae Rin, and Minzy as she headed off to the van.


“Good luck on the shoot, unnie! Break a leg!” Minzy called out, waving furiously.


“Aisht! You don’t want her to break a leg, maknae!” Chae Rin grimaced to her friend before waving to Dara, “Bye, unnie! Bring home the bacon!”
 

“You two are so bad. Bad with puns and expressions, that is,” Bom said to the two, “Yah! Ssandara! Kiss that hottie Il-Woo for me, okay?!” she called out in a loud voice to the departing girl.
 

The two younger girls squealed and teased their older teammate, as they watched the other grin broadly and wave furiously at them from the window of the van.



---------------------------------



2 days later…
 


Dara stretched in exhaustion and satisfaction. She was really happy with her stint in Il Jimae. Even though it was only for one episode, but to be invited to take part in such a hugely popular and successful period drama, was already a great opportunity to a newcomer like her. 


The two days were like magic as she got involved in the whole production. She had missed making dramas, and was really happy to be back to acting. She knew that she had surprised the crew and other staff at her knowledge about cues, placing, blocking, and lighting. 


She felt really happy and excited. She was training to be part of a four-member group with three of the most talented girls she knew and loved, and now she was in this drama. 
 

The only little cloud marring her blue skies was the fact that Big Bang was in Japan, where they were looking at the sites and getting acquainted with the country before going there for there promotional tour next month. She missed the boisterous boys.


“Thank you for the hard work,” she said, bowing to all the staff and crew in the drama. Il-Woo had already left after shooting his parts with her for the day.


“Another day of shooting tomorrow!” she said happily to herself as she stood at the edge of the set, waiting for her ride to come. 
 

She noticed a YG van-looking vehicle parked on the other side. She looked at the plate number. Wrong number, meaning that it wasn’t the one used to pick her up.
 

Then one of the back windows opened a bit and a hand came out, beckoning her to come closer.


She hesitated, looking at it in suspicion. 


The hand pointed at her distinctly. Then back to the car and waved at her almost frantically.


‘This is weird,’ she thought as she got near the van. 


Suddenly, the door opened when she got near enough, and she was pulled in before she could react.


Aaaahh – ” she exclaimed before a hand clamped over . ‘Aigoo! I am NOT getting kidnapped! Not now!’ she frantically thought in despair and panic.
 

She frantically sorted out her hair which had gotten into her eyes when she struggled for a bit. 


Her eyes widened when she saw the identity of her “kidnapper.”


“JONGIE?!”


“Hey, Krungie! You missed me?!” Ji-Yong said, grinning at her.


“You idiot! I was so scared! You almost gave me a heart attack, you moron!” she wailed, hitting him in the arms.
 

“Yah, yah, yah!” he said, staving off her slaps, “I just wanted to surprise you and this is what I get?!”


“Hmph! A surprise would be nice, but a kidnapping scenario is not!” Dara said, poking her tongue at him as the van started to move.
 

“Sheesh. Fine, I’m sorry. Now are we okay?” he said, making the peace sign with his fingers.


“It depends.”
 

“On what?”


“On what you brought back from Japan, of course!”


“You’re so mean.”


“No, I’m not! I’m being practical.”
 

“Fine, fine. I brought you this,” Ji-Yong said, taking out a bag.


“Oooohhhh,” she exclaimed, taking the bag and opening it in excitement, “Thanks a lot for this Jongie!”


“Would you please stop calling me Jongie, Krungie?! It’s Ji-YONG. JI-YONG! Or Ji-YONGIE of you like,” he said in mock exasperation as she watched her eyes glow at the little trinkets he bought her.
 

“Aisht! The day I stop calling you ‘Jongie’ would be the day you stop calling me ‘Krungie,’” she said, looking up from her goodies to frown at him.


“Fine. Have it your way then,” Ji-Yong said as Dara turned back to examining the little things in the bag. 


It was the fault of their trainer’s little daughter, actually. The little girl could not pronounce “Ji-Yong” correctly and kept calling him “Jongie,” to the amusement of everyone. But it was only Dara who had the guts to call him that.


“What are you doing back here?” she asked, looking at him curiously.


“Nothing. I just had to come back for a few things that the boys and I forgot,” he answered.


Dara nodded at his answer and closed the bag of trinkets.
 

“Yah, when do you finish the shooting, Krungie?” he asked as the girl happily stowed away her new gifts.


“Hmmmm, I think that the last day for filming would be tomorrow actually,” she said.


He took out a bag of sandwiches and some juice and watched in amusement as she smiled at him gratefully and started to eat like there was no tomorrow.
 

“Wah! Is that a kimono you’re wearing?! It suits you! You actually look pretty!” Ji-Yong said a few minutes later, pulling back and looking at her intently while grinning teasingly at her.
 

“Yeah, it is, and thank you! I do play Japanese royalty after all,” Dara reminded him. “Didn’t I tell you that already?”


“No, you forgot to mention that,” he said, still looking at her in the foreign-looking costume.
 

“Oh? Well, it must have been Seung-Hyun that I told,” she said, taking a sip from her juice.


“Hyung?” he asked, sitting up and becoming more alert.


“Yeah. He dropped by to say goodbye before you left for Japan,” she answered absent-mindedly.


He did? He really isn’t the type to just drop by and stuff,” he answered thoughtfully.
 

“Yeah, I know. But he’s been really nice, ever since we shot Gummy’s video,” she replied, smiling at him.


‘I’m only feeling slightly jealous because I’m used to me being her only close friend in Big Bang, not because I feel any different about her. Wait, that’s not true, she and Young-Bae are close too’


‘But we’re friends. Friends and nothing more. And I’m happy, dammit, that she and hyung and getting close too. Happy, do you hear that, Ji-Yong?! I AM HAPPY!’ he thought as he struggled furiously with himself. 


“Oh. That’s nice!” Ji-Yong finally said, “You better be nice to him, Krungie! He’s not really the type to socialize and stuff.”


“I know. He’s the brooder and silent type. He must find me funny and comical, that’s why,” she said giving a small laugh, oblivious to his struggles.


Ji-Yong laughed at that too. But he already knew that Seung-Hyun and Dara would click with each other because they were both serious in their work, loyal to their friends, but dorky when the need arose.


“Krungie, you have that way with people,” he said as the van started to pick up speed when they were already at the freeway.
 

“What?” she asked


“You make people happy with your attitude and charm. You make them feel that they’re actually someone when you look at them,” he answered, smiling at her.


“I do? Well, that’s nice to say Jongie! Thank you!” she quipped happily, beaming at him.
 

“You have no idea how true that is,” JI-Yong muttered under his breath.
 

“What? Did you say anything?” Dara asked, opening a bag of chips and taking a few and stuffing it to .


“No, nothing,” he answered, smiling at her.
 

And the two shared a comfortable ride back to the city, as they continued to talk, laugh, and catch up on each other’s lives.
 


-----------------------------
 


A few weeks later…



Dara’s phone brayed and she groaned.


She had just gotten home after the girls insisted on holding a party for her. The Il Jimae episode that she had appeared in had aired earlier that night. The girls cut their practice early and gathered at one of the building’s many rooms to watch the episode.
 

The three girls were uncharacteristically silent as they watched the show intently, while Dara had bitten her lower lips in anxiety over their reactions. 
 

The girls made a good audience, gasping, exclaiming, laughing, and even crying over the episode. After that, they almost flattened her with their group hug, congratulating her again and again for a job well done.


“And you get to kiss Il-Woo too! How lucky can you get?! Aisht!” Chae Rin had said, to their amusement.


“What was it like?” Minzy asked, excitedly.
 

“I was so nervous I didn’t even get to enjoy it,” Dara had answered honestly.


“Really? But oooohhh, it was Jung Il-Woo! If it were me I’d have gone on kissing him even after the director yelled, ‘cut’!” Bom had said dreamily, making the girls laugh and right after.

They were joined by their Teddy-oppa, their two stylists, and for a short time, by YG sajangnim thimself, as they held an impromptu party for her at the same room.


They finished their party after four hours of non-stop talking, eating, and merriment. She had gone home just a scant hour earlier.
 

“Who would be calling at this late?” she asked herself as she reached blindly for her cellphone.


“Hello?” she said sleepily.


Wake up sleepy head! the other person on the line cheerfully said.


“Seung-Hyun-ah?” she asked tentatively, now fully awake upon recognizing his low baritone voice over the line.


Yeah, it is. I just called to say congratulations on your Il Jimae episode. So… congratulations!


“Thank you Seung-Hyun-ah! You saw it?!”


Yeah, I did, we all did.”
 

“How? I mean, you're in JAPAN!”
 

Oh, you’d be amazed by the power of the internet and SeungRi’s ability to find videos. The brat wanted to see your episode and would not budge for further practice until he saw it.
 

“Really? Oh, how cute! Thank him for me!”


Sure thing! Well, I also wanted to say that you did great job, being a ninja and all.


“I did? Wow, thank you again! I didn’t look all awkward at all?”


Awkward? Heck, no! Remind me to never get you pissed for anything or you might unleash your ninja moves on me!
 

“Haha! As if I’d win over you, Seung-Hyun!”


Well, yes you would, actually, I’d let you win!
 

“Oh really?”


Really. And oh, SeungRi and Dae kept repeating the part where you kissed Il-Woo until Ji-Yong finally snapped and told them to quit it.
 

“No! They did?!”
 

Yeah, they did. Young-Bae and I were almost ready to throttle the two of them had it not been for our almighty leader doing it first, hahaha!
 

“Oh those two. I’d unleash my ninja moves on them the next time I see them! Haha!”


See that you do. They kept saying that it was more of a kiss than what we did for Gummy. I was really getting seriously pissed at them for asking me about it all the time.


“Really? The girls ask me about that too. But when I refused to say anything, they stopped.”


Well, you don’t have SeungRi and you’d be amazed at that maknae’s annoying persistence!
 

“Hahaha! Well, tell him that Dara-noona is telling him to stop. For some reason, he actually listens to me.”


Yeah, I actually find it annoying that he listens to you more than he does to me. Oh well. If they ever know that we actually kissed in the filming, I’d never hear the end of it.”


“And I’d never live to see the light of day again because your fan girls would have killed me! Good thing that PD Kim had the presence of mind to actually do another angle take just in case!”


And good thing too that it was the one showed in the MV. If it were our first take, then there would have been worse reactions!


“Aigoo! Good thing that we used the third take, isn’t it?!”


Yeah.
 

“Your fan girls would have skinned me alive for even daring to touch you!”


Oh don’t worry about that Dara-ah. I’d never let my fan girls or anyone else for that matter, harm you. You’d be safe. They would have to pass through me before they can get to you.
 

“Oh, that’s so sweet. I never knew that you were sweet Seung-Hyun-ah! Thank you!”
 

No need to thank me. It’s the truth. I’d keep you safe; they’d have to step on my dead body first before they got to you.
 

Awwwwww…You’re such a softie at heart! Thank you, Seung-Hyun.”


Oh, that isn’t free! I have to get payment for being your guardian. Let me think about the suitable payment first, okay?
 

“Haha! Okay!”


Yah! I have to go. My phone bill is going to be obscene after this. Good night Dara-ah! See you when I get back!


“Good night Seung-Hyun-ah! You take care, okay?”
 

Okay, bye-bye now. Take care of yourself too. Mwah! he said before Dara heard a click, signaling the end of the call.
 

“Did he just say, mwah?!” she asked herself staring at her phone, not daring to believe that the oh-so-serious and I’m-so-cool Seung-Hyun would actually blow a kiss over the phone.


“I must be too sleepy,” she said, shaking her head and flopping back to the bed.


A hundred miles away, a tall boy with black-lined eyes banged his head on the wall.


“Mwah? MWAH?! WTF! What a freaking cheesy thing to do!” Choi Seung-Hyun said to himself at his uncharacteristic and impromptu show of affection.


“Erm, what are you banging your head against the wall for, hyung?” SeungRi asked, looking at him strangely.


“Nothing, maknae,” he answered, ruffling his head and walking away, leaving the younger man to stare at him.


“You are so weird,” SeungRi said, shaking his head as he followed his older teammate to the practice hall where their leader was plopped on the stage, with his cellphone in hand.
 

Hey Krungie!
Nice job on the Il Jimae episode!
Who knew that you had the ninja 
genes in you?! HAHA! Aisht! I’d have to
polish my moves before I tangle 
with you again! Great job!

 

Ji-Yong typed into his phone before looking up “KrungieDara” from his phonebook and pressing the “SEND” button. He had tried calling her, but her phone was busy. 'Who'd be calling her at this hour?' he thought.


He waited for a few minutes before a reply came back.
 

Ei there Jongie!
Thanks a lot! All your support means
so much to me! Yah! You’d better
watch out next time because I will
beat you up, see if I don’t! Haha!
But thanks again!

 

He eagerly replied and typed in,


Dara Dara Go (haha!)
Yeah, you did a nice job, you
deserve the congrats and all of 
that. You did well, especially the kiss 
and the crying in the end. Dae was all
choked up about it! Haha! Yah!
Why do you always have a kissing
scene in your acting stuff? First it 
was with hyung, and now with Il Woo!
You’re such a player! Haha! Joke!!!
Peace!

 

He grinned a wicked grin before send it, knowing that the girl would get annoyed. As expected, her reply was so scathing that he was surprised that the phone did not burn in his hands.


Yah, Kwon Ji-Yong!
Aisht! It wasn’t even in the script!
The PD had a of inspiration and
added that in! I am not a player, you pabo!
I am so gonna slice you up with my katana
when you come home! Bleeeeehhhhh!!!

 

He laughed when he read the message and was still laughing when he typed in his reply. 
 

YAHHHHH! Get your bums here and let’s continue practicing for the choreography; it’s still is not smooth enough! GD, get your here right now and quit smiling like a loon! Aisht!” Jinsu yelled, feeling the frustrated and harried.
 

Ji-Yong managed a fast reply and typed in,
 

Wah, Krungie Dara-“Noona”!
So MATURE! Hahaha! Anyways, I was just 
joking around! I know you aren’t a player.
Hihihihi…peace! Yah! I have to go. Jinsu’s
veins are popping out because we still need 
to practice for tomorrow’s appearance.
G’Night Krungie! Rest well! And again, it 
Was just a joke, you are NOT a player, okay?
G’night again! Mwaaaahhhh!!! Haha!


before getting up to take his place in their practice. 


Back in Korea, a girl in her pink T-Shirt and black sweats was shaking her head as she stared at her phone, saying, “What is it with those BB boys and their ‘mwahs’?! Is there a ‘Spread the MWAHs’ Day in Japan that I don’t know about?”
 

Then she rolled and burrowed deeper into the blankets as she hugged Tam-Tam and finally closed her eyes, smiling, her cellphone still clutched in her hand as she dreamed about what lay ahead for her, her friends, and her life as a 2NE1 member.

 


-------------------------


[A/N]

* I know that the preview said that the Daragon moments would be on Chapter 3, but I moved it to Chapter 4 to give way to the boys' moments. And oh, did you spot TabiSan moment too? *squeals*

**Next chapter would be the start of 2NE1 TV, Teddy's inspiration for I Don't Care, and a glimpse of the reason why we hardly see Daragon moments on 2NE1 TV...

***Thanks to all who have read and reviewed..I love you guys, seriously! You are the inspiration that keeps me writing! Do comment and subscribe! ^^