black coffee

all my friends are bread

Some people believe that black coffee drinkers are sophisticated, mature, and responsible. Or so what they assumed them to be.

 

Yongsun was one of those few people who believes that assumption. Of course, being a non-black coffee drinker, she thinks that those people who can endure the strong, bitter taste of it are amazing. Regardless if they're sophisticated or not.

 

Well, not until a certain customer who always order black coffee makes that weird, unpleasant face whenever she drinks it.

 

At first, Yongsun thought she gave the customer a bad coffee and wanted to apologize. But after a few days and it continued, she started to think that maybe the customer wanted to pull off this demeanor of being a 'cool black coffee drinker', in which she miserably failed to do so.

 

Yongsun politely gave the order to the raven-haired customer and went back to the counter, closely watching her. As soon as she sees the familiar grimace, Yongsun finally gathered up enough courage to confront the woman.

 

"Excuse me?"

 

Byulyi jolted and most spit out the coffee to the woman standing in front of her table. To save her last drop of composure, Byulyi quickly fixed herself.

 

"Y-Yes?" The raven-haired woman gently wiped the non-existent coffee stains on her lips.

 

"Not that I was watching you or anything but is there something wrong with the coffee? You seem to not like it."

 

For a moment, the customer didn't answer. She just kept on looking at Yongsun and back to the cup of coffee for a good three minutes. Yongsun got annoyed.

 

"If there's something wrong with it, I can always give you something else."

 

Just before the barista could take the cup of coffee, Byulyi instantly stopped her hands.

 

"No, don't. There's nothing wrong with the coffee," The raven haired woman said softly, lowering her head, "I just don't really like black coffee. I actually want to drink a basic caramel macchiato."

 

Yongsun couldn't help but laugh at how ironic the latter's situation is. The raven haired woman rubbed her nape because of embarrassment.

 

"You see me as a total idiot now, don't you?" Byulyi laughed awkwardly in between the barista's melifluous giggles.

 

"Aside from being a loser, yes, I definitely do." Yongsun said trying to suppress the laughter.

 

The honest reply made Byulyi sad. After all the things she did in order to be deemed as a cool woman, it all came to a conclusion that she just made a fool out of herself.

 

Yongsun noticed the frown on Byulyi's face, "No, no. I don't mean it like it's a bad thing! I think you look cute."

 

"Really?" The customer said in an overly excited voice that surprised Yongsun.

 

"You're funny. If you don't mind me asking, why do you always order black coffee if you don't like it?"

 

The barista's question made Byulyi blush in embarrassment. She tried to avoid Yongsun's curious gaze by looking at the cup.

 

"It's stupid. I don't want to embarrass myself further." Byulyi muttered softly, almost like she was whispering.

 

"Hmm. Well, I should probably go back to work."

 

Before Yongsun could make a step, Byulyi stopped her immediately.

 

"No- Wait!"

 

"Yes, do you need anything?"

 

The raven-haired woman sighed. "I wanted to look cool." She said, covering her face.

 

"You what?" The barista was utterly annoyed and confused.

 

"I said I wanted to look cool.." Byulyi swallowed the last ounce of courage she had, "..In front of you."

 

For while, Yongsun tried processing what Byulyi just said, but she couldn't get a grasp on why.

 

"You went all that trouble just so you can look cool in front of me?"

 

"Affirmative."

 

Beads of sweat started forming on Byulyi's forehead even though it was really cold inside the cafe. It didn't go unnoticed by the barista, so she instinctively wiped the latter's forehead with her clean handkerchief.

 

"Can I ask why?" Yongsun asked, placing the handkerchief in her pocket.

 

With that, Byulyi froze. It's as if her system suddenly halted. But seeing Yongsun's intense gaze and waiting stance made her go for it.

 

"Because I think you look cute and pretty whenever you smile at the customers. You look hot when you're so concentrated on making coffee, it's like watching an artist in work. And I think that you're the most beauti-"

 

"You're rambling." Yongsun giggled. The latter's eyes widened, but started forming a smile as Yongsun continues to laugh.

 

"I'm sorry. What I meant to say was I like you."