will you still be here?

all my friends are bread

Byulyi was always anxious. She tried to hide it from the older woman, but Yongsun could see through her eyes. She knew this, considering that they've been together for almost three years.

 

Yongsun once told Byulyi that she was an open book; said that her eyes instantly give everything away that's why Byulyi couldn't never lie about anything. 

 

Or maybe she could. 

 

(But Yongsun would eventually find out the truth. She always did.)

 

It's one of their usual nights together; Byulyi resting her head on Yongsun's head comfortably, and the latter reading some thriller novel from one of her book collections.

 

"Byul, it's 11pm. Go to sleep." Yongsun muttered softly, looking down at the blonde.

 

"I drank two cups of coffee earlier. I can't sleep." The latter reasoned, embracing Yongsun tighter.

 

Yongsun sighed and placed her book on the bedside table.

 

"Do you want to talk about it?"

 

"What do you mean?" Byulyi innocently answered, moving off from Yongsun to her pillow.

 

"You've been drinking a lot of coffee."

 

"What are you talking about, Yong? Is there something wrong with me drinking coffee?" The latter said jokingly, making Yongsun frown. 

 

"Byul, you hate coffee."

 

The blonde got caught. It's not like she didn't expect that Yongsun would catch her drift, but how the girl manages to always notice the little things make Byulyi's heart flutter.

 

"It's ridiculous." She whined.

 

"It's not ridiculous if it's about you." Yongsun cupped Byulyi's cheeks and placed a gentle kiss on her nose. "You know I'm all ears when you need me to, right?"

 

The blonde nodded. She pondered a bit whether she should open the topic to Yongsun or just brush it off like how she's been doing the past few days.

 

Yongsun knew that the latter was hesitating based on her expression alone. Despite that, she waited for Byulyi.

 

"Remember last week when we visited your relatives?" The blonde started.

 

"Hmm. What about it? Did someone say something bad to you?" Yongsun's tone change as she grabbed Byulyi's hand and held it tight.

 

"No, silly. From what I remember, they all loved me." Byulyi giggled, kissing the back of Yongsun's hand.

 

"Then what is it?"

 

Byulyi stared at Yongsun's curious face and smiled to herself. She was happy that Yongsun was genuinely curious on what bothered her. It reassured the blonde that Yongsun truly cares for her.

 

"Well, I went out that day to pick up some stuff from the market, right?"

 

"Yeah. I wanted to go with you but you told me not to." The older pouted. 

 

"Because it was cold that day and I didn't want you to get sick." Byulyi gave a quick peck on Yongsun's lips, "Anyway, I went to see a fortune teller that day."

 

Yongsun gave Byulyi a confused look before she started to laugh. The blonde expected it so she stopped explaining until Yongsun was done.

 

"Are you serious?" 

 

"I know it sounds like I'm making things up, but that old woman begged me to try it. She said she haven't had lunch yet so I agreed."

 

Yongsun couldn't help but smile at how kind-hearted her girlfriend can be. But it still puzzled her that Byulyi actually agreed to a fortune teller.

 

"Don't you hate those things, though? I mean you always tell me how science can unlock everything and that life isn't predetermined."

 

"I know. I would've brushed off what the old woman said if it wasn't - bothersome." Byulyi's voice went softer. Yongsun suddenly noticed the vulnerability in the latter's eyes when she said those.

 

"What exactly did she say then?"

 

"She told me that a very special person would abandon me." Byulyi almost choked saying those last words. "She didn't exactly tell when or what that person's initials are, but ever since then I couldn't stop thinking what if you're the one she's pertaining to?" 

 

The blonde tried to look away from Yongsun's gaze, hiding her shiny eyes. Byulyi didn't want Yongsun to see her crying over such matter that she, herself find ridiculous.

 

"Hey, look at me." Yongsun lifted Byulyi's chin and gave her the most reassuring smile she can give. 

 

"Is that why you've been drinking a lot of coffee and staying up late until I fall asleep?"

 

"Yes. I felt like you're going to abandon me so I wanted to make sure that I'm awake to stop you." The blonde replied, almost whispering. Her voice sounfed hoarse, it's as if she's trying to stop herself from crying. 

 

(And she was indeed trying.)

 

"Your worries has something to do with the past too, right?"

 

Byulyi nodded slowly. Of course Yongsun would know that this issue has something more too it. It involves what occured before. Something that Byulyi and Yongsun try to avoid. 

 

"Look, I know how inevitable it is to connect what happened before to this," Yongsun held Byulyi's hand tightly, "But please know that I'm never leaving your side again."

 

The blonde couldn't stop herself from tearing up. It's been a while since they properly talked about the dark days of their relationship. In fact, they haven't really talked about it. Hearing those reassuring words from Yongsun made Byulyi's worries go for a while.

 

"I'm sorry you have to put up with me. It's just that I still have nightmares about how you left before. And as of it wasn't enough torture, the fortune teller just had to say that someone will abandon me." 

 

Yongsun reached out to wipe Byulyi's tears with her hand. She understood what the latter is going through and the fact that she's partly the reason why Byulyi's anxious is hurting her.

 

"You don't have to apologize for anything, okay? It's not your fault in the first place." The older embraced Byulyi. She hoped that her warmth would give Byulyi the comfort she needed. 

 

"I know I - We've done stupid things in the past. I'm well aware how I left you broken and dumbfounded. But I came back, didn't I?" Yongsun kissed the top of the blonde's head, "I came back for you, Byulyi. I realized that I couldn't live without you. I asked for forgiveness and we rekindled our love. I promised you I won't leave anymore, Byul."

 

The older pulled out from the embrace, facing Byulyi's vulnerable state. Yongsun intertwined their fingers together and kissed it. 

 

"I'm here, Byul. I'll always be here." She reassured.

 

The blonde nodded and leaned to give Yongsun a sweet kiss, despite her wet cheeks because of the tears. The older chuckled and use the blanket to wipe the dampness from the latter's cheeks before she went ahead and gave it a peck.

 

"Go to sleep now, Byul." Yongsun said, embracing the blonde once again.

 

"Will you still be here when I wake up?"

 

 

 

 

"I will."