FRESHMEN's Welcome

A Story Nobody Knows
Please log in to read the full chapter

D-DAY

I woke up early that morning for the new students welcoming. Our batch is the overall in-charge. I had to prepare today's speech and script and brief all the people that's going up the stage.

I arrived at the auditorium with my classmates. They fixed the chairs, checked the presentations they made and inspected the speakers and the LED screens. I gave out the printed programs which will be placed in every chair. Brochures were placed on the side of the entrance.

Once I have briefed the speakers we all went to our respective places and waited. Welcoming ceremonies mean a lot, it determines how well founded is the school and it shows the new students that they are appreciated by the school to be here. Five minutes before the program, Chan gave me a heads up regarding the number of freshmen with their parents.

Fortunately we prepared enough, but there's a situation we did not really focus on. There's a celebrity in the freshmen population which meant other students swarming in the auditorium, that explains the influx of other batches at the balcony. It was only then when I realized that it was written on the list but I just ignored it. EXO's DO.

Oh. That guy. I thought.

He arrived few minutes before the call time, I was relieved to see only his manager and a bodyguard to go with him. All of them were in the guest list so they were counted in the chairs we prepared.

When the program started parents and their children, the students, went to their respective seats. I watched out for the fans in the balcony that might do something to ruin the welcoming. After the speech of our university director the deans of every college gave a welcome remarks to their freshmen, what to expect, what are they here for and why are these worth the effort.

This is not the first time we launched our cyber school but it helped a lot of students to study without having the need to go to school always. Many celebrities did this and the school had promising results from the past years. Today the Department of Academics required the cyber students to at least report twice every month to class, for further development and to help them as well in their researches. As the program went on, I realized that I missed my classmates, my friends, my batch mates that's why this ceremony meant so much to me.

Why are you here then? You may be asking me.

Well. Let's just say that circumstances lead me back to college again. Apparently I am not really supposed to be here but I am.

I just missed seeing familiar faces and the tight relationships we had back then. It made me want to see them again. If I could just bring them back here, but I can't and they are taking the path they should take.

I watched the program go on and made a few instructions to the hosts before they go back up again. I waited until the last college has been welcomed then we had an intermission number from the College of Arts.

I was overwhelmed by what's happening I needed to take a break so I left the auditorium. Memories flashed back, my first day of school here as an aspiring student. Friendships that were built over the years, strengthened through experience and bonded by time. Those things I'd trade just to bring back time. I wanted to leave I just wanted to bawl over my tears. I wanted to cry and scream that I can no longer hold my smile. I cannot pretend that I am strong because I am not.

Just when the tears about come out, D.O. came out looking at me. The tears that were about to flow all went back behind my eyes and I swallowed the lump in my throat. I face him and asked him what does he need.

"Uhm. are you alright?" he asked concerned.

"What do you need Mr.?" I asked business-like.

"Sorry. Where's the toilet?"

I gave him the directions to the nearest comfort room and got rid of him. I don't know if I'd be pissed at him for interrupting my reverie or I'll thank him for stopping me and get me back to work.

I went back to the auditorium and waited for the program to end.

After the program our professor commended the souvenirs we gave and the program ended on time and the flow was smoother than before. I thanked him for all the compliments and told me that I should take the position he is offering in our department. He wants me to run for secretary in the student body.

"You know I can't sir." I replied to him.

"But it was all bygones. You're now starting new. Let bygones be bygones." He said.

I smiled at him and told him that I'll try passing an application just to appease his request. Parents approached me to say thank

Please log in to read the full chapter