No

Lace and Deceit

In response to his text, Minhyun called Jonghyun when he’d returned home. Perfect timing for a perfectly useless conversation.

"No." Was the first thing Minhyun said. Not ‘Hello, Jonghyun the great, how are you?’ or ‘I heard you were sick, are you ok?’,  just ‘No.’ 

"Really?" Jonghyun sighed, sitting down on the couch and rubbing his temple. "When was the last time you checked?"

"This afternoon." Minhyun was quiet for a few seconds, then added: "Still nothing. The system has no idea who he is."

"Ugh." Jonghyun wanted to punch something, and grabbed a pillow to squeeze. "Still, thanks for trying."

"Do you think he might be using a fake name?" Minhyun suggested. 

"Probably. But the boss introduced him as Minki, so..." 

"Oh, yah, if the boss thinks his name is Minki, he should be in the database that way." For some reason, Minhyun snorted. "Poor Jonghyun has a crush on what probably is a hostile alien, here to destroy everything we humans hold dear." 

"I don’t have a crush on him." Jonghyun hissed, wanting to hang up the phone right then and there. He didn’t even listen to the alien theory, too busy trying to convince Minhyun that he wasn’t weak enough to catch feelings. He didn’t want to give him the satisfaction. 

"Sure. And I’m a polar bear." Minhyun replied in a heavily sarcastic tone, and Jonghyun could just sense he was rolling his eyes. "What does this Minki, that’s what we’ll call him for now, look like anyway? Have you sneaked some pictures of him yet?" 

"He’s.." Jonghyun paused. He was able to write several books describing Minki’s beauty, but decided not to say anything because Minhyun would start nagging again. "Average." He mumbled, thinking about Minki’s smooth skin, soft hair, pretty smile, overall gorgeousness and- 

"Average?" Minhyun gasped. "We’re going through all this trouble for an average-looking man?"

"Ok, ok. Above average." 

"There we go. That’s what I thought. One must be above average to sweep you off your feet." 

"Stop it, I hate you." Jonghyun chuckled nervously. "I think I’ll hang up."

"Ok, I love you, too. And listen, you little prick, I’ve changed my password so that you can’t hack me anymore." Minhyun announced, followed by a triumphant "Hm!"

"We’ll see about that." Jonghyun was not impressed. Minhyun and his dumb passwords were no match for him.

"Next time you need something, just ask me!" Minhyun was definitely not messing around. "Bye, Jju-yah."

"Bye, bye." Jonghyun hung up, sighing because he was left empty handed once again. 

As he went to turn on the TV to distract himself, his stomach made a rather unattractive gurgling noise and he remembered the food Minki brought him. He couldn’t just leave it untouched, that would’ve been rude. He made his way to the kitchen and peeked into the grocery bag, suddenly curious about those exciting desserts. "Oh!" His eyes widened when all he found was whipped cream and chocolate syrup. He knew enough that way. Grinning to himself, he put the bottles away, saving them for later. There was definitely going to be a next time, if it were up to him.

----

"Sorry I’m late!" Minki breathed heavily when getting into the car with Jonghyun. "I overslept, I set the wrong alarm!" He explained, fastening his seatbelt and catching his breath, brushing his fingers through his hair while staring at his reflection in the wing mirror when he was seated. 

"Relax! I won’t tell anyone." Jonghyun shrugged his shoulders, then started the car. "How’s your brother?"

"He’s good. Turns out he overreacted, as per usual." Smiling softly, Minki nodded and turned to place his hand on Jonghyun’s thigh, squeezing it gently. "So nice of you to ask." 

"Of course." Jonghyun cleared his throat, trying his best not to melt that instant. "I care about you.. And so, your brother too, I guess." 

"You do?" Minki asked in the softest voice ever, removing his hand and staring down at his knees. He almost seemed hurt in a way, which was strange. Jonghyun only meant well.

"I do." Jonghyun was, once again, glad he had an excuse to avoid eye contact, keeping his eyes on the road. 

Minki didn’t say anything for a very long time, but then he hesitantly asked; "I, uh, I wasn’t paying much attention yesterday. What was the plan again?" 

"We’re going to find out what that new real estate agency is up to. Apparently, someone doesn’t trust them and has hired us to figure out what they’re doing." Jonghyun shrugged. "Doesn’t seem too difficult to me." 

"Not hard at all." Minki agreed, nodding solemnly. 

"Well.. I’m always a little hard when you’re around." Jonghyun tried his best to contain laughter, hoping Minki would appreciate his lame attempt at a flirty little joke.

"You-!" Minki gasped playfully, nudging Jonghyun’s arm. 

----

"I need you to distract that receptionist." Jonghyun whispered when they were standing in front of the real estate building, jerking his head in the direction of the front desk.

"Excuse me?" Minki raised an eyebrow. "Why do I have to distract him while you do all the cool stuff?"

"Because you," Jonghyun pointed his index finger upwards, wanting Minki to listen carefully. "are irresistible. You said so yourself." 

"You got me there." Minki sighed. How rude of Jonghyun to use his own words against him. "I’ll go and distract him. I’ll show you how good I am at distracting people." 

"I believe in you." Jonghyun clapped his hands and watched as Minki stepped inside and walked up to the counter, loudly announcing that he was there to fix the security cameras. 

Jonghyun’s eyes widened, he hadn’t even thought of that since Minki the distractor was such a distraction to him. But oh well, things always worked out the way they were supposed to. 

It didn’t take Minki, who was devilishly charming, long to convince the receptionist that he really needed to take a look at those cameras. And as the two walked away, he gave Jonghyun a little nod. 

Jonghyun went inside and paced around for a while, pretending to be waiting for a receptionist when he heard the cameras that surrounded him shut down. "I love that guy." He whispered to himself, grinning from ear to ear as he made his way behind the lobby.

Meanwhile, the receptionist stared at Minki as he fiddled with buttons in the camera control room. "I didn't know the cameras needed fixing? Who called you?"

"Hm? Did I say fix?" Minki stopped what he was doing to turn around and look at him. "I’m with Total Security, I show up every once in a while to make sure the cameras are still doing their job and our clients are satisfied."

"Hm, ok." The receptionist shrugged, then looked Minki up and down. "What else do you do?" He asked, wiggling his eyebrows to be glared at by Minki.

"Don’t even think about it." Minki hissed, narrowing his eyes at him before turning around and getting back to pressing random buttons. "Fool."

Just moments later, Jonghyun burst in. "Everything seems to be in order." He nodded once, in a hurry to get Minki out of there. "Are you done here?"

"Who are you?" The receptionist asked, very confused. 

"He’s my coworker, he took a look at the actual cameras." Minki replied before Jonghyun could say anything. And the receptionist seemed to buy it.

"I see."

"I’m done." Minki nodded, then turned to the receptionist. "Just let the cameras rest for a while and then turn them back on in about five minutes." Minki wanted to walk away, but the receptionist told him to wait.

"Can I give you my number?" He asked with a smug grin. "In case you change your mind." 

Minki was going to say no, he really was, but he didn’t get to say anything because jealous Jonghyun stepped up and punched the receptionist right in the face, instantly knocking him out. 

"Holy-" Minki’s jaw dropped. "Oh my god, why did you do that? I was gonna reject him." 

"He deserved it." Jonghyun bluntly replied, trying to ignore the intense tingling in his hand, stretching out his fingers. "Just kidding." Not really. "I had to. He’s not going to remember anything about us when he wakes up."

"Oh. Smart." Minki nodded, sighing in admiration... And slight fear.

"Didn’t they teach you that at your old company?" Jonghyun frowned, his suspicion rising once again. 

"Um." Minki looked around, then pointed to the receptionist. "Let's just go before someone else walks in."

"Ok..." Jonghyun shrugged, letting Minki change the subject again. Letting the person you're stalking know you're onto them is the worst thing you can do. 

----

When making their way back to the car, Minki noticed a jewelry store and almost ran to take a took at what they had.

"Wow." He exclaimed, staring at one necklace in particular. "Isn’t that the prettiest thing you’ve ever seen?"

Jonghyun wanted to say Minki was the prettiest thing he’d ever seen, but shrugged his shoulders instead.

"I’d wear that to bed." Minki pressed his hands to the glass, attracting many weird looks from people around him.

"Isn’t it a women’s necklace?" Jonghyun asked, taking a closer look.

"What’s your point?" Minki rolled his eyes. "Clothing and accessories have no gender. Bye." 

"Sorry. I didn’t mean-"

"It’s ok, love." Minki turned, ruffling Jonghyun’s hair before walking away.

"You’re not gonna buy it?" Jonghyun blinked. 

"No. It’s way too expensive." Minki shrugged and kept walking.

"Hm." Jonghyun stared at the necklace for a while longer.. If Minki really liked it then maybe it was nice to-

Jonghyun’s phone began to ring, distracting him from the shop. 

"Hello?" He answered without checking who it was.

"Jonghyun!" The boss grumbled. "Where are those reports you were supposed to email me last night?" 

Jonghyun gasped. "I-I.." How did he manage to forget about those? Oh. The reason behind his recent forgetfulness was coming right towards him again. Minki titled his head, staring at him with a curious expression. 

"I forgot... I’m so sorry.. I was sick yesterday and-"

"You idiot!" The boss was fuming. "You had three weeks to finish those reports!" 

"Please accept my sincere apologies, sir. You know this never happens to me. This was a one time thing, I can assure you.” Jonghyun nervously whispered, not wanting Minki to know he’d failed.

"No. You should be very careful from now on." The boss scoffed. "I’m very disappointed in you. That’s all I have to say to you." He hung up the phone, and Jonghyun knew he was in trouble.

Jonghyun sighed when lowering his phone to shove it into his pocket. "I made a mistake." He explained to Minki, staring down at his feet to avoid eye contact again. He felt so dumb. 

"Oh, sweetheart," Minki pouted slightly, cupping Jonghyun’s chin into his hands to lift his face and make him look at him. "You’re only human. Please don’t blame yourself too much." 

Jonghyun smiled at him, his heart rate increasing. "I won’t." He whispered, closing his eyes momentarily, hoping the angel in front of him would believe him. 

"Good." Minki pulled Jonghyun into a tight embrace, in the middle of a busy street in Seoul. No regrets.