Parting

Lace and Deceit

Jonghyun didn’t even recall falling asleep, but couldn’t deny it either when he opened his eyes at around 9AM the following morning. Stretching his arms, he looked beside him to find that Minki the sleepyhead was already gone. Hm. 

When opening the bedroom door, he could hear the news jingle end and the commercials start. Why was Minki watching the news this early? Wouldn’t it make him even sadder?

Jonghyun cleared his throat to attract Minki’s attention as he stepped into the living room. “Morning, my love.” He smiled sweetly.

“Oh..” Minki, who was full dressed and everything already, turned to look at him. “Good morning..”

Jonghyun yawned, walking around the couch and sitting down beside Minki, draping his arm around him. 

“You just missed the news.” Minki said softly, leaning against Jonghyun. “They, um… They assume he was killed by a member of a gang he was quarrelling with. And… it’s impossible to determine who it was exactly. So, they’ve stopped investigating, for now at least.” 

“That’s good.” Jonghyun nodded solemnly.

“Do you know why I feel so guilty?” Minki asked him, but continued before Jonghyun could even try to guess. “Because I don’t feel guilty. Not even a little bit. Not at all.” He sighed. “I feel guilty for not feeling guilty... I feel no remorse at all.” Minki admitted, shrugging lightly. “I cannot bring myself to feel sorry for that man. For years he used, abused, humiliated, violated and beat me, all the while tricking me into thinking he only did so because he loved me.” Minki’s voice started to break again. But Jonghyun could tell that it was out of anger rather than sadness this time. “I wasn’t even allowed to have any friends. Every time my friends wanted to come visit me, he forced me to give them some excuse why I couldn’t meet them. I had to buy another phone and keep it a secret so that I could text my family and friends without him knowing!” Minki quickly wiped at his cheeks and took a deep breath. 

Jonghyun’s eyes widened for a split second. That explained why he and Minhyun were unable to find anything even remotely fishy in Minki’s phone. The number he’d been given was the one linked to the phone he secretly used to text his friends. 

“I’m not even going into detail about all the other things he did to me because I know they would upset you very, very much.” Minki told Jonghyun with another soft sigh. “I’m shocked by how heartless and evil I am for saying this but he... deserved to die.” 

“I’m relieved you realize that now.” Jonghyun heaved a sigh. “And, you’re not at all heartless. Or evil. Anyone in your position would be thinking the same thing.” 

“Sometimes I just wanna cry because of how sweet and handsome and perfect you are!” Minki groaned, then aggressively kissed Jonghyun’s cheek. “I love you!” 

“I love you, too.” Jonghyun chuckled gently, closing his eyes. How ironic. Jonghyun and Minki shared the exact same thoughts about one another. 

“I’ll drive you to the doctors office.” Minki stated after they’d been quiet for a little while. “You know, for your hand.”

“My hand’s fine.” Jonghyun hoped to trigger an annoyed reaction, just for the fun of it. 

“But you promised!” There it was. 

“Alright!” Jonghyun grinned. “I’ll get ready.” 

 

——

 

When Jonghyun joined Minki in the waiting room of the doctors office later that day, he had an icepack pressed to his palm. 

“How did it go?” Minki stood up as soon as he saw Jonghyun, and hastily made his way over to him. 

“It’s not broken, thankfully.” Jonghyun smiled, touched by Minki’s concern. “It’s bruised. Best thing I can do is use ice and take painkillers until it heals.”

“Aha.” Minki nodded. “I’m glad it’s not that bad.” He smiled, taking Jonghyun’s good hand in his. “Let’s go home, handsome.”

“Actually,” Jonghyun cleared his throat. “Can we go see Minhyun first? There’s something I have to ask him, in person. And... I should tell him about our plan to leave Seoul.” 

“Oh. Yeah. Sure.” Minki shrugged. “But.. Can’t we meet him in that new café or something? You haven’t eaten yet.”

Jonghyun didn’t even know how to respond to that at first. How had Minki noticed something so small? It had been so long since someone had cared for Jonghyun, this was still quite unreal to him. “You’re right.” He nodded. “I’ll call him.” 

 

——

 

“Perfect timing.” Said Minhyun, taking off his coat to drape it over the back of his chair. “My lunch break started the second you called.” He told Jonghyun, while sitting down beside Minki.

“I’ve ordered you an espresso.” Jonghyun stared at him, perhaps just a teeny tiny bit annoyed by how close to Minki he was. “But I don’t know what you’d like to eat, so…”

“They’ve got pancakes here, right?” Minhyun grabbed a menu from the table. 

“They do.” Minki nodded. “I was thinking about ordering pancakes, too.”

“Great! We can be twins.” Minhyun joked. “Are you getting one with... Nutella?”

“Well, they also have savoury pancakes.” Minki leaned slightly closer to Minhyun, pointing somewhere on the menu. “See?”

“Oh!” Minhyun gasped. “That’s great.”

“Yeah.” Minki nodded. “I think I’m getting the ones with mozzarella.”

“That does sound good.”

“Enough about pancakes!” Jonghyun didn’t mean to snap, and yet he did. 

Minki and Minhyun instantly looked up at him, perfectly in sync, puzzled expressions and all. 

“Uh..” Jonghyun chuckled nervously. “I’m just really hungry.” Haha. Since when did hungry translate to jealous

“And you don’t like pancakes?” Minhyun frowned. “Then what do you want?”

Before Jonghyun could answer, the waiter showed up with their coffee. 

“A cappuccino?” He asked. Minki raised his hand. 

“And two espressos.” He placed down the other two cups on the table in front of Jonghyun and Minhyun, before taking out his little notebook. “Have you decided on what to eat?”

“We,” Minhyun pointed to himself, then Minki. “would like the mozzarella pancakes.”

“Excellent.” The waiter scribbled down the order, then looked at Jonghyun. “And you, sir?”

Jonghyun was too busy staring angrily at Minhyun to answer at first. “Oh.. What he said.”

“Ok..” The waiter squinted. “I’ll be right back.” 

Jonghyun cleared his throat once the waiter was gone. “Have you taken care of…” Slightly leaning forward, he lowered his voice just in case someone was listening. “… the weapons?”

“I have indeed.” Minhyun nodded. “They’ve been destroyed. There isn’t a single piece of evidence that could trace back to us.”

“And they won’t find out you did that?” Minki asked. 

“No way.” Minhyun shook his head. “I’m very slick.” 

“Yeah, yeah.” Jonghyun raised his eyebrows, then sighed. “Minhyun. We have to tell you something.”

“Oh my god.” Minhyun exaggerated a gasp, looking at Minki. “You’re pregnant?”

“Yes, I am, dip.” Minki rolled his eyes, playfully punching Minhyun’s upper arm. 

“No, seriously. What’s up?” Minhyun turned back to Jonghyun, grinning still. 

“We’re leaving.” Jonghyun decided to be upfront about it. “Minki and I… We’re moving.”

“Oh.” In a flash, Minhyun had stopped smiling. “But… But why? I thought you were thinking about coming back?” 

“Not even close, buddy.” Jonghyun shook his head, slowly. “I’ve found a new job, as a detective in Busan.” 

“Busan?” Minhyun nodded. “I’ll visit you guys often then.”

“Of course!” Minki smiled, patting Minhyun’s back. “You’re welcome whenever. I’ll personally make sure our new house has a guest room.”

“Gee. Thanks, Minki.” Minhyun’s words were flat. He didn’t seem at all sincere. 

“Come on, man.” Jonghyun groaned. “Don’t get all emotional.”

“Don’t get me wrong, Jonghyun, I’m very happy for you. It’s just that… You’re my best friend. You have been for years. You’re the closest thing to family I had in this big city.” Minhyun averted his gaze. “I’ll miss you, that’s all.” 

“We’ll always be best friends.” Jonghyun assured him. “You can call me whenever. You know that.” 

Meanwhile, the waiter came back with their food, keeping quiet as to not disturb this sentimental get-together. When he was gone again, Minhyun nodded. 

“You’re right. I shouldn’t have doubted you.” 

“It’s alright, man.” Jonghyun smiled. “Cheer up.” 

Minki quietly stared at the both of them, not wanting to interrupt their moment either. 

“Let’s eat!” Minhyun practically screamed to lighten the mood, lifting his cutlery into the air... and dropping it onto the floor less than a second later. "Oops." 

Minki couldn't contain his laughter, covering his mouth with his hands as he elegantly giggled away. 
While everyone else in the café stared at Minhyun the clown, Jonghyun only had eyes for Minki the angel.