Nothing but uncertainty

Lace and Deceit

Jonghyun left for work early the next morning. Earlier than anyone else.
He was determined to find out who Choi Minki truly was and figured that the best way to do that was when alone and unable to attract any attention.
Fortunately, Jonghyun had a friend who worked in the administration office. And fortunately, that said friend had told him where he kept his spare key. Just so Jonghyun would occasionally be able to stop by and bring him the varying items he'd forget there at least three times a month. Hwang Minhyun was a disaster. But a fun one to be around. 

When driving to the office, Jonghyun thought of Minki. When parking his car in the empty parking garage, Jonghyun thought of Minki. When standing in the elevator and staring at his own reflection as boring instrumental music played in the background, Jonghyun thought of Minki. And he kept doing so when taking the key to Minhyun’s office from its hiding place behind the vending machine in the hall on the second floor.
Only when grabbing the key was when Jonghyun briefly stopped thinking about Minki. For just a second, he thought about how stupid it was the the administration office was still using normal keys while every other department had switched to fingerprint scanners by now.
But afterwards, he went right back to thinking about Minki. Minki consumed his every thought and there was nothing he could do to fight it. He didn’t even want to fight it. 

Holding onto the key as if his life depended on it, Jonghyun made his way down the hall, constantly looking around in case someone were to see him. Gently and as quietly as possible inserting the key into the keyhole, he glanced around one last time before stepping inside. 

 

Minhyun's computer needed a password. Of course it did. Jonghyun groaned, attempting to hack Minhyun's computer by putting in the title of his favorite song, the name of his favorite meal, and many other things he knew Minhyun liked, but nothing worked. 

"Oh, God. He didn't." Jonghyun sighed, slowly typing in Minhyun's date of birth. He was quite astounded when it worked. That was the dumbest thing one could do, in Jonghyun's opinion... but maybe that was why people wouldn't expect it as quickly. 

"Ok.. Let's see." Jonghyun whispered to himself, opening the database and entering Minki's name. 

No results. 

"What the-" Jonghyun frowned, staring at the screen for a second. Convinced this had to be a mistake, he tried again.

Error. There is no one here by that name.

Astonished, Jonghyun checked if everything was working properly until the door opened and he was facing Minhyun. Caught in the act.

"Can I help you with something?" Minhyun didn't seem to be that confused. He looked as though he had expected anyone to be there, but just not Jonghyun.

"Yes, actually." Jonghyun replied, deciding to be bold. He was going to die now anyway. "Why isn't Minki in the database?" 

"Minki? Who the hell is Minki?" Minhyun asked, tilting his head and furrowing his brows.

"Choi Minki. He's my new partner." 

"Well, there's your answer; he's new. It usually takes a while before they add the new ones." He replied, nodding to himself. Jonghyun, however, wasn't convinced. Those people were paid to keep the database as accurate as possible. "Why do you need his info?" Minhyun continued. "Do you think he's double crossing us?" 

"No, not that. But something else is wrong with him. He's even more secretive than I am, can you believe that?"

"Barely."

"What if someone's hurting him and making him keep secrets? I need to help him if that's what's happening to him." 

"Does he have any marks? Bruises, cuts or other traces of abuse?" 

Jonghyun shook his head, while still trying to remember if that were the case. "No.. I would've noticed." 

"You're in love with him, aren't you?" Minhyun tilted his head, grinning widely. "Aren't you?"

"No!" Jonghyun shook his head. "I don't even know him that well!"

"But you're so concerned about him... because you love him." He clutched his chest. "It doesn't matter that you don't know him that well. Sometimes all it takes to fall in love is a single glance. You like him. I can tell." 

"You don't know me." Jonghyun grumbled, feeling the blood rush to his cheeks. 

"You don't know me." Minhyun repeated Jonghyun's words in an annoying, high-pitched voice. "I bet you tell your own mother she doesn't know you." 

"Ok. Maybe I do like him.. A little. He- He kissed me last night." 

"And then?" Minhyun asked, wide eyed. 

"Then I told him to leave.." Jonghyun sighed heavily. "Even though he told me he understood, I was up all night regretting my decision." 

"And , I suppose." 

"Shut up." 

"Right. You should leave before any of my coworkers see you." Minhyun said, still grinning faintly because of his own joke. "Don't worry yourself too much, ok?" He briefly took Jonghyun's hand in his and squeezed it gently. 

"I'll try." Jonghyun nodded, appreciating the kindness. "Could you text me when they do add him to the system?" 

"I will."