Scene 5

diphylleia grayi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Noa would do just about anything for a friend, especially a friend like Frankie, and that included standing in as a seat filler on a double date. However, since she had already agreed to go, Noa couldn’t lie and say that she wasn’t looking forward to this date, at least a little bit.   Shu Nishijima was something like AIASF’s sweetheart, and he had a lot of friends; Noa hadn’t been at AIASF for very long, but she could already tell that just by looking at him. He was the star of the show at the AIASF back to school mixer; everyone wanted at least a little bit of his time that night, and the fact that Frankie had been able to get some of it without asking for it was a testament to how much he liked her, Noa felt.   Being more specific, Shu Nishijima had a lot of First House friends. He knew football players, basketball players, baseball players, and every single person on the soccer team. The odds of him bringing one of his all-star friends to hang out with her and Frankie were very good; it would be in Noa’s best interest to put a little effort into her appearance, even if she was going for Frankie’s sake. On the night of the double date she dressed herself in one of her favorite outfits: a slightly loose fitting emerald green top under a black leather jacket, distressed jeans and flat black ankle boots, leaving her hair down in carefully crafted coils and putting on a little makeup to tie everything together. She was helping a friend out, but if she managed to get her own date or a boyfriend out of it in the process, then she could call it a good day overall.   She wasn’t the only one that had put effort into her appearance, judging by the cute cream dress, the brown cropped leather jacket and flats Frankie had put on herself. She was practically glowing already, visibly nervous and simultaneously beside herself with excitement at the idea of going on a date with Shu. They traveled together in a Lyft to Pier 39, where the double date would be taking place; Noa kept to the side while Frankie looked for Shu and his friend, wondering internally how tall the mystery date would be; the taller the better, if she was allowed to be shallow.   “There he is!” Frankie exclaimed suddenly, catching Noa’s attention; Noa looked up and followed the direction of Frankie’s pointing finger to the octagon bench up ahead, her eyes landing on the two figures already seated there. As they began to walk over to them, Noa noticed the head of dark hair and tousled bangs on the stranger, and the increasingly familiar features, and she tensed, frowning.   “I know that’s not who I think it is…”   “Frankie-chan!” Shu was saying, greeting Frankie with a brilliant smile as he stood from his seat. As he spoke the friend looked up and over at them, and all of the separate familiarities snapped together immediately for Noa, and as she recognized him he seemed to recognize her, too, his signature frown crossing over his face.   “You!” Frankie and Noa both paused and turned to look at Hikaru; he glared at Noa as he stood from his seat. “What the are you doing here?”
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter