Episode 9: Comfort

Forever and a Dae

Iron & Wine - Flightless Bird, American Mouth


  I wake up to see Daehyun sitting at the edge of the bed next to me. I look around, but I'm not familiar with the place. As time goes on, I can hear the music from the other side of the door. I sit up and feel a wave of pain that starts from my head and downwards. Rubbing the temple of my forehead, I ask, "What happened?"

  "You fainted, so I took you here to get some rest."

  "What about Jaebum?"

  "He's swimming in the pool as if he doesn't have a care in the world," he grumbles. "If you want, we can go back. I'll take Jaebum home and then you."

  "No. Let Jaebum enjoy tonight."

  "And allow you to suffer? I'm not going to let that happen. I'm not going to let you stay here in this state. He'll understand if we leave early."

  "It's nothing, really. I think it was just the mixture of the smell and sounds from outside. It isn't so bad here." I try to convince Daehyun, but it's not working. I don't want to be a burden to them. "Just let me rest here until Jaebum is done, and if you want, you can stay with me." I'm hoping this will work.

  Daehyun's eyebrows furrow. He shakes his head. "I'm not comfortable with you being here like this. I think it's best if you rest at home where I know you'll be safe."

  He continues on. I don't want to listen anymore. I understand his concern, but he's worrying too much about me. Sure, we're friends and I've gotten used to him being by my side, but there's no need to treat me like a child. As his voice echoes in my ear, my head throbs. I grab onto my necklace, shut my eyes tightly, and grit my teeth, hoping that will relieve the pain. It doesn't. An image of a boodied knife flashes before me. The blood drips to the ground as a trembling hand grips the handle. I groan and bend over.

  Daehyun wraps his arm around me. "Let me take you home, please," he begs. "I can't bear seeing you like this."

  Those words. That soft voice. It's all too familiar to me. It's almost like a lullaby and for a moment my head hurt a little less. I let out a sigh. "Give me a few minutes and then we can leave." I almost lean against him as a strange warmth courses through me, but I get back to my senses and sit still while allowing Daehyun to wrap his arms around me. Normally, I would push him away, but right now it's somehow soothing my headache.

  I take I'm a deep breath can smell vanilla coming from Daehyun. Even his scent is somehow familiar, but I know I have never met him before starting university. The more I think about Jung Daehyun, the more I realize I know nothing about him. There has to be a reason why he has an infinity symbol above his head. But even if I find an answer, another question will follow: If he's immortal, then when did it all start?

  I try not to think more because my head will hurt again and let myself be comforted by Daehyun. Everything about him right now is calming. It doesn't take long for me to shut my eyes and fall asleep.

  I find myself sliding to the right as my head bounces up and down due to the bumpy road. I turn to look to my side and see Daehyun steering the wheel as his eyes are fixed straight ahead. I check the back and see Jaebum lying down with his mouth wide open. He has his jersey back on but his hair and shorts are wet. He's lying on his back, so I can't see the tattoo on his shoulder, but I'm positive that the tattoo from my dreams is the same as the one inked on the back of his shoulder. It's distinct as the proper blend of the sun and moon are etched together. In the center there should be a symbol that I have never seen before. I can't recall what it looks like as I only catch glimpses of it in my dreams. I just know it's not a common symbol.

  Daehyun stops the car and gets out. He opens the back seat on the drivers side where Jaebum's head is.

  "Jaebum get up." Daehyun shakes his shoulders.

  The drunken Jaebum rolls and nearly falls off the seat. In near panic, he shoots up. "Huh?"

  "You're home. Let's go." He grabs his arm and pulls him out of the car.

  Jaebum complies and allows himself be dragged by Daehyun. When he's fully out, he stands as his body sways.

  Daehyun shuts the door and I'm left alone. I'm still a little groggy from waking up, but that doesn't make me less unaware of what's happening around me. After all, I'm not drunk. As I watch the two from inside, I see Daehyun and Jaebum talking. They are far from the car, so I can't hear anything they're saying, but I can clearly see the expression on Daehyun’s face. It's a mixture of anger, annoyance, disappointment, and pain.

  Jaebum reaches out, but Daehyun slaps his hand away. He says something with tears forming and storms away from him.

  As he approaches, I shift in my seat, close my eyes, and pretend to be asleep.

  Daehyun climbs in and slams the door. He lets out an annoyed sigh before changing the gear to drive and heads off.

  I take a peek at him. He's deep in thought. What happened to them in the past to make them act this way? It's strange because sometimes they act like they're close friends who just like to bicker but other times, it's as if they can't stand the sight of each other and just puts up with it because I'm around. Another thought occurs to me, but a part of me doesn't want to believe it. Could they have been together and decided to separate because Daehyun moved to another city? I find myself choking on those thoughts. No, if they were lovers before, then why are they hanging out with each other? Unless, they still have feelings for each other.

  I don't realize I'm staring at Daehyun until his eyes shift towards me. "I see you're awake. We're almost there," he announces, "Just hang on."

  A pain strikes me. I see a blurry image of someone holding me saying those same words, but in a panic. "Okay," I manage to get out. What is wrong with me tonight?

  We say nothing the rest of the way. My mind is filled with questions but I can't bring myself to ask him. None of it seemed right. What if I explore too deep and find myself sinking in the ocean? I can't get myself involved in a situation like that.

  When we finally reach my apartment, Daehyun helps me to my room. We kick off our shoes and make our way to my bed. I sit and stare at the floor.

  "This is the first time I've ever been to your place. It's so cozy." He walks over to my desk and brushes his hands against it. His eyes land on the family portrait. "So this is your family."

  "Yeah. That's them."

  He smiles and mutters, "It looks like you were brought up in a good family."

  "I guess you can say that. My brother and I fought often, but we always made up. My parents were a little strict but I know they love me." I fall on my back and let my legs dangle from the edge of the bed. As I stare up at the ceiling, strange words come out of my mouth, "Why don't you stay here tonight?" The moment I realize what I said, I clamp my mouth shut. Am I crazy?

  Even Daehyun is taken aback. He stands at the same spot with eyes wide. "You want me to stay the night?"

  My cheeks flush. I can't even look him in the eyes. "I mean, it's so late to drive home. You never know how many drunk drivers are out there on a Saturday night. It's better to just stay here and go home tomorrow when you're well rested."

  He chuckles.

  My heart skips a beat. Ah, I'm going crazy tonight! "If you don't want to, I'm not going to stop you." I'm definitely not going to stop him if he doesn't want to stay. I'm such an idiot for asking.

  "It's not that I don't want to, I just never expected to hear you say that," Daehyun states and he lays on the opposite side of the bed.

  I turn my head and his deep brown eyes are gazing it me. My heart is pounding as if it will leap out of my chest and my breathing stops for a second. I can easily look away, but I don't. My body feels warm and I have a sudden urge to reach out to him.

  I don't.

  He grins widely, allowing his eyes to turn into crescents. "What?"

  "Nothing," I grumble and roll to the side away from Daehyun.

  He sits up. "You have an extra toothbrush or clothes I can borrow? If you want me to stay over, I still need to practice proper hygiene."

  "You can take anything from my drawers and there's an extra toothbrush in the cabinet at the bathroom," I direct.

  "Okay. Thanks." He shuffles around my room to grab clothes. When he does so, he heads to the bathroom.

  The moment the door slams shut, I get up and pace my room. What am I doing? Why am I letting him stay the night? I glance at the closed door and bite my lower lip. It'll be too late to kick him out now especially since he's changing and brushing his teeth in there. "Whatever." I mutter to myself and begin changing into new clothes. There's nothing I can do at this point. As I fold Jaebum's jersey, I remind myself that I will need to return it after I do laundry. I hang my necklace at the usual place. 

  I wait for Daehyun to come back so that I can wash my face and brush my teeth. I find myself getting comfortable on my bed as my eyes droop and I let out a yawn. Trying to stay awake, I open my eyes wide open, but it didn't help me for long. I can feel myself succumbing to the impending sleep. Just how long does it take to change clothes and brush teeth? Is he taking a dump, too? I roll on my side. 

  My necklace dangles from my lamp. I recall the same paper airplane charm on Daehyun’s backpack. Could he be the one who gave it to me? It's a strange thought, but if he's immortal, then that can be a possibility. However, it doesn't explain why he would give it to me. There has to be a reason. I just don't know it yet.

  My body can no longer wait for Daehyun and I find myself drifting off. My eyes are completely shut, but I can hear the door squeak open. I listen. Daehyun's footsteps are light and his breathing is steady. I feel the bed sink next to me and the covers moving as he settles next to me. I realize I didn't prepare anywhere for him to sleep, but I'm too tired to push him off the bed and tell him to sleep on the couch in my small livingroom. Instead, I roll to my other side and face Daehyun.

  He smiles softly and whispers, "Good night."

  I return the smile. I take in his scent and feel at peace. There's just something about his presence that comforts me. Closing my eyes, I curl up in a ball and pull the covers up to my chin to get comfy. "Good night, Daehyun."