Chapter 08

Drawing a Line Across the Universe

“So what do you think?” Taehyung asks Mark who was sitting beside him in the karaoke room. Taehyung had actually brought Mark to a karaoke place as they had talked about weeks ago. Mark watched Namjoon, Yoongi, and Hobi rapping to a song getting everyone like Youngjae, Bambam, Yugyeom, and Jungkook hyped up.

“They're really good.” Mark answers honestly because he had nothing but praises. Those three could rap so fluently like it was pure smooth water. Just then the door to their karaoke room opens as a loud cheerful voice cuts in.

“Hello, my swaggerlicious friends!” Jackson exclaims throwing his hands up to show his excitement. As he enters the room two other people keeping close to each other enters as well. It was Jaebum and Jinyoung who had his arm draped over Jinyoung’s shoulder. Mark was pretty sure it was supposed to be a friendly gesture, after all, they are best friends. But he couldn’t stop the twisting feeling in his stomach.

“ Please refrain from calling us that. At least me .” Namjoon says through the microphone, stopping himself from rapping altogether. This has Taehyung jumping at the chance to grab the microphone from Namjoon so he could join in the fun. Just then someone occupied the seat Taehyung was in beside Mark. Turning to look who it was he was greeted by the sight of Jinyoung looking at the karaoke book before looking up to give a smile at Mark.

“Hi, Mark hyung.” That small simple comment had Mark forgetting the loud scene around him. As well as forgetting to breathe because having Jinyoung in front of his eyesight was breathtaking. How was he ever going to stop this crush from expanding now?

“Markie!” Jackson’s voice rings beside his vacant spot on the couch now occupied by him. Jackson had recently started calling Mark ‘Markie’ saying it feels they are closer that way. Frankly, Mark didn’t care as much as Jaebum about honorifics. He would never let Jackson forget to address him as hyung. “Any plans for winter vacation?” Jackson inquires pulling Mark away from staring at Jinyoung for too long which he was grateful for. The whole two group of friends were celebrating the start of their winter vacation. December came by so fast and school was just out. The boys thought a get together before all of them went away for the winter was a good idea. Bambam was going back to Thailand with his family. Jaebum and Jackson were going away to a resort with their family. Youngjae with his family was going to visit his grandparents that lived further off in the rural area. Yugyeom was going to be staying here, but hanging out with Jungkook during the break. Not before promising to facetime and call Bambam, his best friend every day. Jinyoung like Yugyeom was staying here and did not speak further of his plans.

“My parents are thinking about going back to the U.S. to visit our family relatives in California. But nothing is definite yet.” Mark informs as Jackson’s eyes widen.

“You have family there?! That’s so cool! I mean, yeah, I have family members in Hong Kong but America!” Jackson exclaims, “How come you never told us that?”

Shrugging his shoulders, “I don’t know. It’s not a big deal. I was born there but my family moved here to Korea when I was young and been living here ever since.”

“Wow.” Jackson nods his head taking in the new information.

“Are you done being amazed yet?” Jinyoung asks leaning closer to Mark to ask Jackson. Jinyoung's scent filled up Mark’s nostril causing the older’s heart to pick up speed. Furrowing his brows in accusation Jackson points a finger at Jinyoung. “Why aren’t you surprised? Did he tell you this already?”

Shaking his head as Jinyoung leans away from Mark, who could feel himself breath again, he crosses his arm over his chest. “No, I just figured it to be the case a long time ago.” Hearing that has Jackson rolling his eyes at his smart best friend. Feigning a fake annoyed ‘whatever’ he gets up from his seat to join Taehyung and Jungkook with cheering for Youngjae, Bambam, and Yugyeom who was currently singing to Big Bang ‘Loser’. Watching Jackson a moment longer Mark turns his direction to Jinyoung who was watching the three maknae in their group attempt to sing and rap as well.

“How did you figured out I wasn’t born here?”

Looking away from the maknaes to make eye contact with Mark for a few seconds he turns his attention back to the younger males. “You have this small little accent when you speak certain Korean words. Besides, judging by your last name I just figured your first language wasn’t Korean and probably lived somewhere else other than Korea. I just never guessed it was America, I thought it was somewhere in China like Jackson.”

“I have a small accent?” Mark raises an eyebrow in alarm.

“It’s nothing really if anything it’s cute. Nobody really notices it.”

Mark would have blushed right then and there if Jinyoung wasn’t sitting beside him. Trying to keep his cool Mark looks away quickly to let out a few breaths to calm his heart. Turning back around to face Jinyoung the younger was already smiling and cheering for the maknaes who just finished their song. Just then the door to their karaoke room opens again revealing Jin and Jimin in their thick jackets and sporting a red nose from the cold.

“You guys are late!” Taehyung calls out as the two men took off their coat ignoring their friend. “Yah! Jiminie you were supposed to come here earlier and sing our go-to-song together! I had to sing it with someone else.” The brown hair boy whines clearly displeased that his best friend and karaoke buddy came late.

“Whatever, you’ll get over it.” The silver-haired boy says plopping himself beside Taehyung who only pouts further. “I’ll sing it again with you, okay?”

That seemed to be the words the boy was looking for as the pout disappeared just as fast as it was there. The party seems to have finally kicked off as all fourteen boys gather inside a karaoke room that was too small for them all. Nonetheless, it worked somehow and everyone took turns singing their heart out. Mark never knew how great Jaebum and Youngjae’s vocals were until today. Yugyeom was just as good but tended to shine more when it came to rapping just like Bambam and Jackson. Jackson was a decent singer when he decides to get a lot more serious. Jinyoung, on the other hand, wasn’t lying when he said he had his fair share of singing. His teacher also wasn’t lying when he told Jinyoung he had a beautiful voice because he did. His voice was soft and mellow like warm honey as he sang to a soft ballad song. As his group of friends ushered him to sing a song he was thankful for Youngjae. The younger boy agreeing to collaborate with him on a song as each of them took on a roll for singing and rapping.

As the hour ticked by and snacks’ wrapper were slowly accumulated in the middle of the table as were the dishes. The gang decided to call it a success as they all gathered their belongings and began to pitch in for the bill.

Jackson was happy to help pay a big majority of the bill as the rest of the gang protested. But he stayed firm with his decision announcing this could be his Christmas gifts to each and every one of them. Jungkook’s friends seem to buy it as Jackson’s own group of friends who knew him better didn’t. They already knew the blonde had already bought each of them an individual present wrapped up in his bedroom somewhere. (It was known to the six of them that Jackson came from a wealthy family.) They didn’t complain any further but was still a little reluctant to have their friend pay a good sum.

Mark waited for Jackson to finish paying as he was the last one to do so. He watched as the blonde thank the elder lady at the front desk before he walks up to Mark. Pocketing his wallet into his coat he goes to hook his arms around Mark’s shoulder with a wide smile. As they all exited the karaoke place Mark hears Yugyeom, especially Youngjae shouting that it was snowing. That had every one of them running out the street faster. Mark steps out into the cold air with Jackson beside him. Looking up into the dark sky that was lit up by the white lamppost Mark found the scene before him calming. Off in the distance, he sees the younger boys trying to gather snow and form it into snowballs for a snowball fight. Jaebum and Jinyoung talking with each other in the distance with a smile on their faces. Just then there was a yelp.

Turning to the source of noise, Mark found the back of Jin’s head covered with white snow as Taehyung who was probably the culprit for throwing the snowball snickering. Namjoon who was talking to Jin slowly backs up away from his own crew of friends afraid of an attack. Hobi grabs onto Namjoon from behind, locking him in place as Jimin and Jungkook go to attack the poor guy with snowballs of their own.

“We should join in the fun as well!” Jackson yells excitedly, leaving Mark by himself to join forces with Bambam to attack Youngjae and Yugyeom. A smile slowly formed on Mark’s face. He was surely going to miss his friends as they go on their own family vacation during the winter.

 

The beeping of the alarm stirs Mark up from his sleep. Stretching his body as he yawns felt good. Opening his eyes to stare at the white ceiling of his room for a few seconds he turns to his nightstand to grab his cellphone. Unplugging it from its charger he turns on the screen to check for the time and for any notifications. It was currently ten in the morning and he had a few notifications from his social media. Checking the weather report it was reported that it was snowing and going to be snowing for another hour before it officially stops for the day. Getting up from his bed, Mark scratched his head while making his way to the bathroom to get freshen up.

Once he was completely awake and ready for the morning he made his way downstairs into the kitchen. He passed by his three-year-old brother in the living room playing with his toys. Not before greeting him and placing a kiss on top his little head. Making his way into the kitchen to look for any food leftover from breakfast he sees his mom cutting up some vegetables.

“Morning mom,” Mark greets as his mother stops what she was doing to turn to look at her son.

“Morning sleepyhead, I saved some breakfast for you. It’s sitting at the dining room table. You have to heat them up by yourself though.” His mom says before turning her attention back on the matter in front of her.

“You’re the best mom!” Mark happily says before heading to the dining room to see the food his mother was talking about. Grabbing a few of the plates to have them reheated Mark can hear his stomach grumble from the excitement of having food inside his stomach.

Munching on the delicious food inside his mouth, Mark was scrolling through his social media seeing Youngjae had uploaded a picture of his grandparents he was visiting with his family a few days now. Jaebum also did so, but of the scenery in front of him. Liking each of the photos and leaving a comment his mother head pokes out from the kitchen to look at him.

“Mark once you’re done with your breakfast could you go shovel the snow off our street? It piled up last night again and your father would probably be too tired to do it once he gets home.” His mother asks with a slight frown thinking about her husband tired state. Nodding his head his mother thanks him before returning to the kitchen. Finishing his food ten minutes later he cleans up the now empty dishes. Going up to his bedroom to change out of his pajamas to his outside clothes, he made sure to grab his black knitted hat and gloves. His mother was now in the living room playing with his little brother. Shouting a goodbye to his mom as he was directed that their shovel to use for the snow was already outside he closes the front door behind him.

The snow had stopped as the weather report had said and the street was covered in a blanket of white once again. Walking carefully down the stairs he made sure to grab the shovel off the wall and began shoveling snow off the stairs and his family's street. After a few minutes of shoveling, he can feel his body getting warm inside, but his face freezing from the cold. Puffing out smoke due to the cold air he did a few more shovels. His nose was runny from the cold. Straightening himself up he looks at his now completed work. With a satisfied sigh, he walks back up to his front door. Placing the shovel back where he got it he steps back inside the house.

Taking off his coat he announced his finished job to his mother who thanks him once again. “Mom I was planning on going to the internet cafe after I’m done using the bathroom. Is that alright?” Mark asks leaning against the doorframe. His mother looks up from playing with Joey and narrow his eyes on her oldest son.

“Make sure to be back before dinner alright? I don’t want you missing our family meal again like this morning.” His mother warns as Mark breaks out into a grin as he promises. Once he was freshened up again Mark makes his way back to the front door to put on his coat and knitted hat but dismissing his gloves. Bidding a goodbye once more he makes his way to the bus stop to take him to the internet cafe. He was planning on spending his day today by playing a few rounds of games at the internet cafe for a few hours. His family has decided to stay in Seoul for the winter holiday instead of going to visit his relatives in California. The past few days of his vacation was spent catching up on sleep, lazing around at home, playing online games, etc. Mark didn’t really go out much, but he was content staying home.

Waiting for the bus took longer because of the snow. By the time Mark got to the internet cafe, it was already one thirty in the afternoon. The place was packed with students who were also on their winter vacation and like Mark decided to spend their day at the internet cafe to play some games. However, he did manage to snag a computer for himself. Mark drowned out the loud noise around him and focused on his gaming. He was probably three hours into gaming when a voice he thought sounded familiar caught his attention. The man’s voice was pretty loud as he groaned out his frustration at losing in his game.

“Awe, come on man! I almost had him there!” The guy groans, pausing his game to lean back in his chair Mark looks down the row of computers from his right to the familiar voice. At first, he didn’t see any familiar faces until he spots a glimpse of blonde hair underneath a black cap.

“Jackson?” Mark calls loud enough for the blonde to hear. He was confused to see his friend at the internet cafe. Wasn’t he supposed to be with his family at a resort? Hearing someone call his name Jackson turns to the source and his eyes widen in surprise.

 

“Your warm cup of organic green tea.” Mark extends his hand that was holding a white cup of the hot liquid to Jackson who took it gratefully. The both of them had left the internet cafe to talk quietly after seeing each other there. Mark took the empty swing seat beside Jackson’s at an empty park. They both sat in silence as Mark took a sip of his warm coffee to stay warm from the cold.

“You must be wondering why I’m still in Seoul and not at a resort with my parents huh?” Jackson finally says breaking the silence. Mark turns his head slightly to watch the younger male turn his warm cup of liquid around his hands to keep warm.

“Maybe,” Mark decides to say after considering his response for a while.

“None of you guys were supposed to find out about this.” Jackson sighs out as he took a sip of his drink bitterly. Turning his head to look at Mark he his lip before speaking once more. “Promise me you won’t tell anyone about this?”

Mark wasn’t sure if he could make that promise after hearing the serious tone in Jackson’s voice. He always sounded so carefree and happy that hearing his serious tone now had Mark worried. “I don’t know Jackson.” Came the reply as Mark furrowed his brow, “If your family is in some kind of trouble-”

“No, it’s not like that.” Jackson cuts him off just to clear off Mark’s assumption. With another sigh and another of his lips, he decides to explain further. “My parents and I were supposed to go to a winter resort like they had promised me on my birthday last year. But on the day we were supposed to leave, my parents got a call from an important company they’ve been meaning to partner up with. It was too important to pass up.” A sad smile makes its way on Jackson’s face as he finished his explanation.

“I’m-I’m sorry to hear that Jackson.” Mark wasn’t the best person to confide in because he never knew what to say or do. But it seemed like Jackson didn’t mind as he shrugs his shoulder.

“It’s okay, I’m used to it. It’s been like this all my life.”

Hearing that has Mark heart clenching.

“Don’t get me wrong. I love my parents because I know they love me and want the best for me. They give me whatever I want whenever I ask. They’re two successful business people who have a lot on their plate. A lot of people are counting on them to make a living. I can make this small sacrifice for my parents and the people working for them.”

Mark could hear the sincerity in Jackson’s voice, but he could also hear the belief Jackson was trying to tell himself that this was really okay. Jackson was always the loud and cheerful one of their group. After stumbling upon this new revelation about Jackson’s family, Mark could now see the fake facade he puts on to mask the pain he tries to hide.

“If you want, you can spend the rest of your winter vacation with me.” Mark offers, he wasn’t going to tell any of their friends if Jackson didn’t want them to know. He could keep this secret from them for him. He also wasn’t going to judge him any differently. The sad smile Jackson has on his face slowly turns into a warm one. As if understanding that Mark wasn’t going to say anything about it.

“Thanks, I’ll take you up on that offer Markie.” Jackson jokes, it was like a switch as his face turns into a full-on smile. Ridding any evidence of the sorrow he was actually feeling. This was the Jackson Mark was used to seeing. The ‘Jackson’ that Jackson wanted his friends to only see. A guy with two successful parents and was a happy and cheerful child. Mark could say he was once fooled by that appearance, believing that that was all there was to Jackson’s story. But he could now notice the slight frown here and there whenever Jackson thought no one was looking.

“Come on, let me introduce you to my parents. My mom is going to kill me if I get home late and miss dinner.”

 

 


It's been awhile since I last updated this story...

Sorry for any grammatical errors and inaccurate depiction of Seoul/school system. Comments are most welcome. ((: