Chapter 07

Drawing a Line Across the Universe

Tension. All Mark felt was tension in the air. He wasn’t even sure why they thought hanging out after school in room 146 was a good idea. The dark clouds and rain outside weren’t making the matter better. It only causes to add more of an effect on the tension hanging in the air. As if the seven of them were all waiting for a storm to come.

Turning around in his seat he finds Jaebum trying to help explain a math problem to Youngjae who needed help with his homework. Turning back around in his seat he glances at his side to find Jinyoung leaning over in his seat as he watches Jackson play a game on his mobile phone. They were acting as if yesterday argument between Bambam and Yugyeom hadn’t happened. Yugyeom was hanging out by the classroom window on his phone. Bambam, on the other hand, was sitting a few feet away from him. Not wanting to be far from his best friend unlike yesterday lunchtime. The thick air and quietness went on for a while longer until the storm finally broke out.

Was it Yugyeom that started it first? Or was it Bambam? Mark couldn’t remember who or what was said first.

“ God , why are you acting like I’ve done you wrong?” Yugyeom asks raising his voice while shoving his phone into his pants pocket. Clearly having enough of Bambam’s attitude.

“Because you have?” Bambam answers back with a question whilst rolling his eyes as if it was obvious.

“No, I haven’t and quite frankly I’ve been a good friend unlike you. Why are you giving the cold shoulder to Jungkook whenever he’s at the internet cafe? Don’t think I didn’t notice you opting to sit at the table instead of playing games.” The black hair boy accuses as he watched Bambam look away from him only to stare right back at him seconds later with anger and annoyance in his eyes.

“It’s always Jungkook this or Jungkook that. Don’t you ever talk about something other than him? Why don’t you take a break and actually ask how I’ve been for once? Your best friend!” The red headed boy jabs back raising his voice even louder.

“Is this what's it about? You think Jungkook is my best friend now? Can you be more childish?” Yugyeom raises his voice even louder.

“For  sake Yugyeom we're still in high school, of course, we're childish! Can you be any more stupid?”

“ you!” Was the last thing Yugyeom says before launching towards Bambam over the desk he was sitting at. Mark was on his feet within seconds along with Jaebum, Jackson, and Jinyoung. Youngjae stayed rooted in his spot scared and alarmed with what's unraveling. Jaebum went to grab Yugyeom off Bambam while Jackson tried to pull Bambam up from the chair. His school uniform disheveled from Yugyeom pulling on his coat and collar. But the fight didn't stop when Bambam struggles out of Jackson’s grasp to throw himself at Yugyeom for a punch. Deciding to intervene these two he acts as a barrier, standing between them trying to get them to stop.

“Calm down!” Mark shouts as Bambam trying to grab his hands that was trying to grab for Yugyeom.

“I don't even know why I’m still best friend with you when you treat me this badly!” Looking past Mark as if he wasn't standing there Bambam accuses Yugyeom.

“If I’m that bad of a friend then maybe we shouldn't be friends at all!” Yugyeom challenges back.

“Come on guys you guys don't mean all this!” Jackson intercepts pulling Bambam back.

“Yes, we do!” Both of the younger males shouted in unison. That had Jackson’s grip on Bambam falter a bit.

“I don't want to be friends with you either!” The redhead exclaims, “I’m out of here.” Flinging Jackson’s hold off himself he grabs his backpack off the floor before turning around to head for the classroom door.

“Fine! For your information, I don't want to be friends with a Thai kid!”

That was the last straw as Yugyeom seemed to had finally found the words to get the riot out of Bambam he wanted. Because the skinny male turned around so fast dropping his backpack to go throw a punch at Yugyeom. But Mark was still standing between them so he tried to halt Bambam as the skinny male tries to swing his fist. Somehow, instead of intercepting Bambam from getting any hit at all the redhead's fist connected with his left jaw. Stumbling back a little he hears a few sharp intake of breath.

“Yah, look what you did!” Jaebum seethe with anger letting go of Yugyeom to get to Bambam who seems in shock.

“I didn’t-I didn’t mean-” The poor stammers in a daze before retreating back quickly. Pushing pass Jackson to run out the classroom. Jackson heaves a heavy sigh before picking up BamBam's backpack left on the floor.

“I’ll try to catch up with him.” The blonde says grabbing his own backpack before exiting the room.

“Why did you have to say that?” Jaebum lectures Yugyeom clearly stress and annoyed. His jaw always protrudes out slightly whenever he was upset. The taller boy shifts in his spot uncomfortable now that the realization of what he said dawned on him. That or Jaebum’s deathly stare was.

“Mark hyung are you okay?” Youngjae's voice brings Mark to focus on him than on Jaebum and Yugyeom. The younger male had left his spot and came over to check on Mark. His eyebrows scrunched up in concern as he watches Mark touch his lips that felt hot and puffy. “You're bleeding hyung.” He points out voice full of concern, for a tall skinny male Bambam landed a nice punch. his lips Mark winced knowing he had a cut on his lip probably when his teeth bit down hard on when the punch was thrown.

“Youngjae,” Jinyoung's calls tapping on the boy’s shoulder, “just take Yugyeom somewhere else. He's getting an earful from Jaebum. I think he had enough for today.” Mark watches as Youngjae nods his head before walking towards Jaebum who was still lecturing Yugyeom. The boy slowly taps on Jaebum's shoulder before saying something getting Jaebum to heave a sigh while running his fingers through his hair and motioning for Youngjae to take Yugyeom away.

A tug on his hand had Mark pulling his attention away from the three to the person holding his hand.

“Hyung, let's go.” Jinyoung says tugging Mark out the classroom and down the hallway.

“Wait-our stuff…” Mark turns his head around back to the classroom while being dragged by Jinyoung off to somewhere. He expected Jinyoung to drag him to the nurse station, but the both of them ended at the lockers. Jinyoung's locker to be exact. Mark waited patiently, looking at anything as he waited for Jinyoung who was rummaging through his locker for something. When he finally closed his locker Jinyoung was clutching a small aid kit box.

“You have that stored in your locker?” Pointing at the aid kit Jinyoung only smiles while lifting the kit up towards his face.

“Let’s get your lip treated.”

They ended up in the library sitting at one of the many study tables. Mark sat in silence in his chair as he watched Jinyoung rummage inside the small aid kit box. He pulls out an ointment and some packets of gauze pads. The younger rips open a packet of gauze pad before dabbing on Mark’s cut lip to absorb up any blood. Uncapping the bottle of ointment he squeezes the continent onto his index finger. Pulling his seat closer towards Mark the younger gently and slowly dabs the ointment on the older’s cut lip. Wincing in pain Mark tries to control his frantic heart. Jinyoung’s face was so close to him as he tended to him.

“Why did you think you could stop Bambam’s fist from flying?” Jinyoung asks his voice laced with concern. He furrows his brows as Mark winces in pain again from the new area Jinyoung applied the ointment too.

“I fought Mingyu and his group of friends didn’t I?”

“Don’t even remind me of that.” A frown showcase on Jinyoung’s face as the memories of this event greatly upset him. Switching the topic quickly, “Bambam landed a nice punch on you for a skinny kid like him.”

“Yeah, I’m actually concern if Bambam and Yugyeom friendship are really over like they said.”

Sighing, Jinyoung finishes applying the ointment and begins packing up the aid kit. “I’ve never seen them fight like this. I hope they’ll both realize their mistake and set aside their anger. Their friendship is worth more than this silly argument. ”

“Don’t let Bambam hear you say that or else you’ll get a nice punch to the face as well.” Mark jokes as Jinyoung roll his eyes, but Mark noticed the small curve a smile on the younger’s face.

“There you guys are,” Jaebum’s voice resonates in the empty library as the guy walks down the room with a backpack in each of his hand. “I searched a good amount of places to find you guys. The both of you disappeared as Youngjae dragged Yugyeom away.” The guys say placing the two backpack on the table before arching one of his eyebrows up in question. Demanding an explanation for being left behind.

“I was trying to attend to Mark hyung’s injury.” Jinyoung explains while getting up from his seat. “I didn’t want any bacteria getting into his open wound.”

“Right,” Jaebum says as if not believing Jinyoung, “anyways it’s getting late so we should go or else we’ll miss the last bus.”

“Yeah yeah, just let me put away the aid kit in my locker on our way out first.” Putting on his backpack, Jinyoung takes a look at Mark before waving goodbye.

“Sorry that you took that hit Mark hyung.” Jaebum apologizes, “See you tomorrow?” Nodding his head Mark watches as Jaebum hooks his arm over Jinyoung’s shoulder while leaving the library together.

It was hard explaining the unexpected cut on Mark’s lip and slight yellow bruising around his jaw to his parents that night. He had to assure them multiple time it wasn’t another bully picking on him. Or that they didn’t have to transfer him to another school. He did receive a text message, later on, that night from Bambam who apologized for the punch he accidentally threw at Mark. He knew the kid didn’t mean to and probably felt guilty for it happening. Messaging him back that he wasn’t mad he tucked himself in bed getting ready to sleep when he receives another text message. He figured it was Bambam who probably texted him thanking him for not being mad. But it was Jinyoung asking how his lip and jaw was. A wide smile, the one where his canine teeth show plasters on his face. Texting back quickly that he was fine he places his phone on his nightstand.

 

Bambam didn’t sit with them the next day or the day after that and the day after that one. The guy was seen sitting with other students probably from his own classroom throughout lunch and when school ended he wasn’t seen waiting by the school gate to head to the internet cafe. Nor was he seen in room 146 after school. Yugyeom acted indifferent the first few days that Bambam was gone. When the fourth day rolled around it started to show that Yugyeom was beginning to regret what he said that day.

Hanging out in room 146 or the internet cafe wasn’t the same without Bambam. Without him, the group wasn’t as loud as it used to be. The redhead playing an important part in their group. Usually, Jackson is loud but there was also always Bambam and Yugyeom being loud with him. But since Bambam was no longer hanging out with them Yugyeom stays quiet most of the hangout. Jackson alone wasn’t enough to make the hangout loud and fun like before. Of course, though Bambam didn’t cut his hyungs out of his life. He texted them or chatted with them whenever Yugyeom wasn’t around. The older could see this was hurting Bambam and Yugyeom both, but neither of them wanted to apologize to each other.

When Jungkook found out what happened between Yugyeom and his best friend a few days after the fight when visiting the Internet cafe after school, he got an earful out of him as well. Siding with Bambam for being upset with Yugyeom because he really did neglect his best friend. Lecturing him for being a bad sport and telling him to make up already so he can properly play an online game with the two of them.

A week went by just like that as the month of October officially came to an end and November came rolling in. The six male sat at their lunch tables munching on their food while talking amongst themselves. Youngjae who was sitting beside Yugyeom at the table took a glance at Jaebum who was motioned with his head to go on and ask the question everyone wanted to ask the younger male. Youngjae was the best candidate to ask since he was closer in age and has a lesser chance of being lashed out at.

“Yugyeom?” Youngjae starts as the younger hums in response. “Are you planning on making up with Bambam soon?” Hearing Bambam’s name had the younger halting from taking a bite of his bread.

“Why do I have to apologize first? I’m not the one who decided to act childish. He should apologize to me first if he wants to make up.” Yugyeom states clearly before biting into his bread. Youngjae eyes the rest of his friends who can only shake their head in disappointment. These two stubborn to apologize first since their pride was also on the line.

Jinyoung opens his mouth to jab at Yugyeom without feeling sorry. “Well, then I hope you can live with yourself for losing a best friend because of your stubbornness and pride.” He was being honest just like Jaebum would have done if Jinyoung hadn’t beaten him to speak first.

Acting nonchalantly Yugyeom shrugs his shoulder, “Whatever.”

 

After school, that day Mark and Jackson had gone out with Bambam. The five of them had drawn up a plan to get those two to make up. As Jaebum put it, “I’m tired of their .” Jackson second that as Bambam seem to be phone calling him into the night to talk which used to be his and Yugyeom’s thing. “A handsome face like this doesn’t come easy you know!” Jackson had state pointing at his own face to show his displeasure of those two. So Mark and Jackson were supposed to bring Bambam out to a cafe by the school to just hang out and ‘talk’. Then one of the other three with Yugyeom would come meet them in a panic. Stating that Yugyeom’s in ‘trouble’. It was a plan to just get those two together in the same room to talk. Simple as that.

The plan was going well since Bambam didn't seem to be suspecting anything. He was in the middle of explaining how pairing white t-shirts with black jeans would never go out of style. Quite frankly, Mark thinks Jackson had already shut off Bambam. Opting for looking at the guy and nodding his head now and then. That was when Jinyoung comes rushing in the cafe that the five of them picked to be, looking all flustered and disheveled. Mark had to give props to Jinyoung's acting skills. He could have fooled him if he didn't know about the plan.

The boy scanned the place until his eyes landed on Mark and the other two sitting in the corner of the store. Rushing towards them as if out of breath Jinyoung goes to place his hands on the table.

“Yug-Yugyeom,” Jinyoung says in between each breath he takes.

Crossing his arms across his chair as if amused with Jinyoung he looks at the older male. “What about him?”

Gulping down his saliva he turns to make eye contact with Mark, “We bumped into Mingyu and his gangs at school. At first, we ignored them but he wanted to pick a fight…Yugyeom for some reason decided to start it...”

Jinyoung was convincing it seems because Bambam got up from his seat so fast forgetting his backpack while dashing for the door. Yelling ‘That giant idiot! He can't take on Mingyu and his gang!’ as the three of them watch he exits the place. As the door closes Jinyoung turn his head to look back at Mark and Jackson to give a wink. The plan was going as planned.

The three boys grabbed their belongings before following right behind Bambam back to their school. Jinyoung being the one directing them to the back of the school where their soccer and track field was. As they push through the double doors leading to the field they expected to find Jaebum, Youngjae, and Yugyeom sitting at the field. They were there but it was the three other figures standing with them. Jinyoung looks back at Mark and Jackson warily. This was not part of the plan. As they got closer Mark could make out Mingyu and his two other friends. Groaning internally this could not be good. The plan was to have a ‘fake’ Mingyu picking a fight with Yugyeom, not the real one. How the hell did this happen?

Jaebum noticed them from afar and ran towards them with a grimaced. “What happened?” Mark hears Jinyoung whisper to his friend trying not to let Bambam hear them as the redhead was looking ahead. To entrap in the scene ahead of him.

“We were just sitting chatting while waiting for you to come back.” Jaebum whispers, “Then Mingyu and his friends showed up trying to anger one of us to start a fight.”

“Did it work?” Jinyoung asks looking at Jaebum then at Yugyeom and Youngjae who was standing there cautious of Mingyu and his friends.

“No, although I really wanted to punch the guy because of his face.” Jaebum mutters shaking his head.

“We should get away from them as soon as possible before one of us-” Jinyoung didn’t even get to finish his sentence when Yugyeom’s voice rang through the field.

“Don’t call him a Thai kid!” The giant maknae voice rang loud and clear as he ran forward towards Mingyu who only smirks. The man was enjoying getting a riled out of Yugyeom as one of his friends had Youngjae in his grip. Preventing him from intervening or helping his friend. That had the rest of the boys quickly sprinting to help or stop Yugyeom from fighting. Mark ran as fast as his legs could take him as he watched in horror. It was like slow motion, how Mingyu easily dodged Yugyeom’s throw by evading to the side. Then as Yugyeom turns back around to look for the man again Mingyu’s fist connected with Yugyeom’s stomach. Hurling the poor boy backward before he stumbled and fell flat on his bottom.

“Yugyeom!” Bambam yells running even faster than before. Kneeling down on the ground beside his best friend to check on him.

“That’s enough Mingyu, just grab your friends and go.” Jinyoung warns as he approaches close behind Bambam with Jaebum beside him and Mark and Jackson trailing behind him. “I don’t want to report to my father about seeing you bullying people again. How do you think your mother is going to feel again? Receiving another phone call from the principal telling her about her son’s misdeeds?” Mark would have never guessed Jinyoung could be like this. The sweet, intelligent, and kind Jinyoung sounding like a bully. It had Mark feeling conflicted with the guy he had a crush on for a few seconds before he pulls himself together. Jinyoung was only doing this to stop Mingyu and his friends from bothering them any further.

Mark watches as Mingyu clench his hands into a fist beside his body before giving Jinyoung a smirk. “Whatever, I wasn’t having any fun with this first-year anyways.” Motioning for his friend to release Youngjae he looks at Jinyoung once more. “See you around school president .” With that, he exits the scene as Jackson release the breath he was holding.

“Oh my god, that was scary.” The blonde says bending over as he clasps his knees with his hands exaggerating.

“Yah! Why did you pick a fight with Mingyu and them if you know you at fighting?” Bambam scolds Yugyeom who clutches his stomach with one of his hand. “Are you an idiot?!”

“He called you ‘that Thai kid’! No one should call you that!” Yugyeom barks back looking away from Bambam as he continues to talk. “Including me okay? I’m sorry for calling you that.”

“And?” Bambam adds as Yugyeom looks back at his friend before rolling his eyes.

“And for being a terrible best friend.” The man admits as Bambam hits him on the head playfully.

“Hell yeah, you were!” Bambam points out while laughing as Yugyeom breaks out into a smile. It was as if their little fight and all the terrible things they had said to each other was forgiven and forgotten. As once again these two were now once again hip to hip. Smiling as the best friends they once were weeks ago. “I’m sorry for being a jealous best friend as well.”

“This is weird and I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I feel like we have Mingyu and his friends to thank for this.” Jaebum says mouth agape while watching Yugyeom headlocks Bambam to the ground before groaning in pain. The pain from the punch he sustains from Mingyu still evident.

 

The next day everything went back to normal as the seven of them ate together once more at the lunch table. As next week rolled by the seven boys went back to the internet cafe. This time meeting up with the seven other males from Sejong Science High School. Jungkook and Bambam seem to finally have a positive introductory. Yugyeom making sure to focus on both of his friends who was sitting beside him each on their own computer gaming with him. Before the day ended Bambam whipped out a present from his backpack handing it to Yugyeom.

“You didn’t think I forget my best friend birthday did you?” The guys ask as Yugyeom grins before everyone began to congratulate him or giving him a present of their own.

 

 


Sorry for any grammatical errors and inaccurate depiction of Seoul/school system. Comments are most welcome. ((: