Chapter 02

Drawing a Line Across the Universe

“I’m sorry, what was your name again? I didn’t catch the whole introduction of yourself.” Jaebum asks getting up from his seat to come over and greet Mark like the rest of them.

“Ah, the name’s Mark Tuan. I’m a fourth-year student here.” Mark introduces himself again while shaking Jaebum’s hand who grips his hand strongly like a business person.

“This might seem rude, but what brings you here exactly?” Jackson scowls at Jaebum’s up front question. But frankly speaking, Mark was fine with that because he understood why the guy was being skeptical of him joining their group so suddenly.

“Jaebum the guy is being targeted by Mingyu and his gang of friends.” Jinyoung answers staring at Jaebum with a stern look. Shifting his gaze to Mark then at Jinyoung, Jaebum tilts his head to the side.

“So what? For all we know, he could have done something bad for Mingyu to target him.” He retorts back before narrowing his eyes down on Mark again. Avoiding his gaze Mark looks at his shoes whilst shifting uncomfortably.

“It was an accident, I swear I just stumbled upon them bullying someone.” He mumbles hoping Jaebum heard him as he felt a hand on his shoulder. Looking toward the direction belonging to the source of hand it was Youngjae, the kid with the snacks.

“It’s okay hyung, I believe you and you’ll be safe with us. Jaebum hyung and especially Jinyoung hyung would be able to protect you.” Youngjae says in a hushed voice for only the both of them to hear. He wasn’t exactly sure what Youngjae meant by Jaebum and Jinyoung being able to protect him and was about to ask when Jinyoung voice calling him took his attention.

“Yes?” He calls swiveling around to the source of the voice. He watched as Jinyoung motion for him to follow him to the corner of the room away from the group. When they were out of earshot Mark could tell from the looks of it something was bothering Jinyoung as he bit his bottom lip as if troubled. “Am I being kicked out?” He voices his concern as Jinyoung’s eyes widen in shock.

“What? No,” Jinyoung shouts shaking his head slightly, “Mark, don’t take this the wrong way but Jaebum doesn’t exactly believes your story or trust you. But that’s just how he is. He said you can stay with us for now, but that you’re my problem to deal with.” He explains as he rubs the back of his neck, “You can hang out with us, really, the rest of us don’t mind. Just give Jaebum time to accept you into the group okay?”

Well, how exactly was Mark suppose to answer that? The only thing Mark thought that was suitable to answer with was a nod of his head. He watches as Jinyoung gave him a soft smile, “Hey it’s not all that bad. You met some pretty cool guys on your first day of school.” He says trying to lift his spirits up which did a little. “Besides, I think Jackson and the three younger ones like you already.”

 

That night as Mark made himself comfortable for bed he thought about the six guys he had met. Bambam and Yugyeom had dragged Mark away from Jinyoung after their small talk asking him about his previous school and home. Youngjae had shared his snacks with him while Jackson and Jinyoung conversed with him about games. It did not go unnoticed to Mark on how Jaebum sat back at his seat by the window watching him now and then. The guys were really nice, he just hoped Mingyu and his friends wouldn’t bother him anymore soon enough.

When he woke up the next day he groggily tried turning off his alarm clock on his night stand. Once that was done successfully he rolls to lay on his back staring at his ceiling. Taking in the silence of that morning until a knock came from his door. His mom peeks into his room probably wanting to wake him up, but only to notice her son was already awake. “Good you’re awake, get freshen up and come down for breakfast.” She says before closing the door leaving Mark alone in his room once more. Was it bad that he didn’t want to go to school and it was only his second day? Despite that though, he drags himself out of bed to freshen up. Changing into his school uniform he grabs his backpack off the floor like yesterday and heads downstairs. The scene at the dining room was the same as yesterday with his mom feeding his little brother. Taking his seat, Mark began stuffing his face with food.

“Slow down Mark or you’re going to choke.” His mother warns noticing Mark stuffing his face with food without a break.

“I’m hungry.” He manages to say as his mother clicks her tongue in distaste not liking her son shoving food down his system.

“That’s what you get for not eating a lot during dinner yesterday.” She points out, truth be told Mark wasn’t exactly feeling all that great when he came home last night. With Mingyu and his friends looking for him, the thought didn’t quite exactly sit well with his stomach. When his father asked if everything was alright, noticing Mark’s lack of appetite he simply lied before excusing himself into his room.

“I was just tired last night.” Mark explains before getting up from his seat, putting on his backpack and shoes near the front door he shouts a goodbye before slamming the front door behind him. He should be safe from Mingyu for now since he doesn’t know where he lived. The school was another matter though. He could just only hope he wasn’t waiting for him at the school gate. Luckily enough, it wasn’t Mingyu who was waiting for him by the gate but Jinyoung instead. When he noticed Mark the younger fellow run towards him with a grin.

“Good morning Mark hyung,” He greets without his grin faltering while some female students walking by them shyly sneaks a glance at Jinyoung. “I’m here to you to your classroom.”

“Oh,” he could feel himself blushing. Clearing his throat he shifts his backpack straps, “You don’t have to do that Jinyoung.”

“Don’t be ridiculous, we’re friends now and Jackson warned me that Mingyu is waiting outside of  your classroom for you.” To say that Mark’s mouth fell open was an understatement. Panic began kicking in as Mark fumbles for words to say.

“How-how did he know where my classroom was?”

“I’m pretty sure he got some students to spill the beans. Now, I’m escorting you to your class alright?” With a nod of his head, Jinyoung brushes his hand over Marks. “Everything is going to be fine, so relax alright?”

The walk to Mark’s classroom felt like a long one. It felt like there were more stairs than usual. The hallway seems longer than before. Time seems to be going slower than usual. “You must think I’m very pathetic, a fourth-year student seeking a third-year student help.” Mark says staring at the back of Jinyoung’s head. With this view, Mark noticed Jinyoung was an inch taller than him. Hearing that Jinyoung stops in his track to turn around and face him.

“No, I don’t and none of us, Jackson, Youngjae, Bambam, nor Yugyeom think little of you. So don’t think that.” Without waiting for Mark’s response he turns back around to continue walking down the hallway.

“Um, do you know what year Mingyu is in?” Mark asks a couple of silence after.

“He’s a fourth-year student like you, but everyone is just afraid of him because he’s big and built.” Jinyoung answers as he continues to walk down the hall with Mark following behind him.

“How come you’re not afraid of him?”

“You’ll find out soon enough. Your classroom is just right down the hallway Mark.” Swallowing his saliva, Mark goes to stand beside Jinyoung so they could both walk down the hallway together. There were a few students gather by the entrance as Mingyu and his friends were attracting some students attention.

“We finally found you, new kid.” Mingyu says when Mark and Jinyoung were close enough to hear.

“Yeah, well I didn’t exactly want to be found.” Mark found himself saying, wow where was all this courage coming from all of a sudden? Was it knowing that Mingyu was the same year as him? Or was it having Jinyoung beside him? Mingyu takes a step forward from the wall he was leaning against when he notice the companion who was standing beside Mark.

“Jinyoung, what brings you here?” He asks his voice laced with pure entertainment.

“Heard you were targeting the new kid.” Jinyoung answers without a hint of a waver in his voice. Mark watches as Jinyoung locks his gaze with Mingyu who doesn’t look pleased.

“This is none of your business Park Jinyoung so move out of the way.” Mingyu warns.

“Now I can’t do that when I know you’re going to bully my new friend here.” Out of anger, Mark watches as Mingyu grabs Jinyoung by the collar.

“I’m not going to ask again.” He sneers as Mark watches in amazement because Jinyoung doesn’t even flinch with Mingyu gripping his shirt collar. Switching his gaze to Mark, “You can’t fight your own battle and found the school’s president to fight for you instead?”     

Boy was this news to Mark.

“Hey! What’s going on here!” A sudden shout from the Mr. Yoo, Mark’s teacher, had students scattering to get to their classroom. As Mingyu release his grip on Jinyoung’s shirt collar he gives one last glare at Mark before signaling his crew to leave. “Jinyoung, what happened? What are you doing here down this hallway?” Mr. Yoo asks noticing Jinyoung who was now fixing his school uniform.

“It’s nothing, Mr. Yoo.” Turning to look at Mark, “I know you have a lot of questions but that can wait till later. School is about to start and I can’t be late to class. Jackson will meet you outside of your class during lunch okay?” With a swift wave of his hand Jinyoung was running down the hallway they came from earlier as Mr. Yoo ushers for Mark to go inside the classroom. It goes without saying that Mark noticed his classmates sneaking curious glances at him throughout the class. By the time lunch came around Mark just wanted this day to be over with already.

“Mark hyung!” A loud voice came from the doorway, it was Jackson waving at him as female students walking past him gushes over him. “Come on the rest of the group are waiting for us.” Getting up from his seat, a few of the students who were still in the classroom gave curious looks between Jackson and him. Jackson goes to swing his arm around Mark’s shoulder as the both of them made their way to the cafeteria. “Heard that Mingyu put on quite a show earlier this morning.”

“Yeah, it wasn’t exactly my ideal of a morning.” Mark goes to say before sneaking a glance at Jackson biting his bottom lip in the process, “Jackson can I ask you something?”

“Sure thing hyung, ask away.” The blonde answers without questioning anything.

“Is Jinyoung really the school’s president?” That must have taken Jackson by surprise as the fellow goes to look at Mark with wide eyes. A moment of awkward silence pass as the blonde consider answering Mark’s question.

“He’s not exactly the school’s president. He only got that nickname because he’s the school’s principal son.”

“Is that why Jinyoung’s not afraid of Mingyu and his friends?”

“You can say that, but really all the teachers and students don’t mess with him afraid of getting in trouble with the principal.” Jackson explains as they stood outside of the cafeteria when Jackson grabs him by the arm halting him from going inside, “Jinyoung’s not a bad guy who uses his advantage of being the school principal’s son to get what he wants around here. He studies like everybody else and gets good grades because of his intelligence. He only uses this advantage when he see’s justice not being done around here.”

“I get it, Jackson.” Mark assures the guy, “He’s lucky to have you as his best friend.” That gets Jackson to break into a cheeky smile.

“You’re damn right about that.”

When the both of them made their way to the table Jaebum was sitting beside Youngjae chatting while Yugyeom, Bambam, and Jinyoung were conversing with each other. As Mark took a seat beside Jinyoung and Youngjae, Jackson does the same taking a seat beside Jinyoung and Bambam. He couldn’t help but notice Jaebum glancing at him quickly before returning his attention back to Youngjae. “He’ll accept you into our group eventually.” He hears Jinyoung whispers next to him. Looking to his left he found Jinyoung giving him a smile that brings out his cat whiskers near his eyes that Mark hadn’t noticed before. He finds it made the younger looking really cute.

“Thanks for what you did earlier this morning.”

“Ah,” Jinyoung scratches the nape of his neck in embarrassment, “that...I kind of cause a scene though didn’t I?” Mark shakes his head while giving him a gratitude of a smile.

“Mingyu would have made a scene anyways even if you didn’t walk me to class.”

“Speaking of the devil,” Jinyoung says as Jackson nudge him on the side to bring his attention to Mingyu and his gang walking towards their table.

“Still hanging around Mr. President?” Mingyu asks with his hands stuffed in his pants pocket.

“Leave us alone.” Yugyeom whines earning him a glare from Mingyu before he breaks out into a taunting smile. 

“Well isn’t that our first-year student who gave us his money on the first day of school?” He asks his friends who laugh in return standing behind him.

“Hey, leave him alone.” Bambam pipes up defending his best friend only to receive a lashing comment back from Mingyu.

“Shut up scrawny and go back to Thailand.”

“Mingyu just take your friends and leave.” Jinyoung states as Jackson goes to comfort Bambam and Yugyeom who were upset.

“I’m older than you so shouldn’t you address me as ‘hyung’ Jinyoung-ah?” Mingyu asks cocking his head to the side while his tongue goes to protrude his left cheek out oh so arrogantly.

“I only address ‘hyungs’ to those I respect and I don’t respect you. Bullying those who are weak or just plain anyone you see does not deserve respect in my book.”

“Why you little-” Mingyu says about to throw a punch at Jinyoung when Donghae holds him back.

“Mingyu, let’s just go Mr. Nam is looking at us. You can’t afford another detention.” Donghae tries to reason as Mingyu shakes his friend hold off his arm.

“Let’s get out of here. I’ll catch you some other time new guy.” He directs the last sentence at Mark before motioning his gang to follow him out of the cafeteria.

“That was intense,” Jackson says trying to ease the tension hanging around the table.

“This is exactly the reason why I didn’t want to bring Mark to our table.” Jaebum comments earning a whine from Youngjae.

“Hyung,” Youngjae whines again while grabbing Jaebum’s arm to stop him from further saying anything.

“We just manage to get Mingyu and his gang to stop bothering Yugyeom, Bambam, and Youngjae. We don’t need him coming back here again to bother us Jinyoung.”

“I’m sorry if I want to be a good person Jaebum. Not everyone cares about their school record and status as well as you do.” Jinyoung counters back silencing the whole table at once. Glaring at Jinyoung then at Mark, Jaebum gets up from the table quickly before leaving the cafeteria altogether.

“I’ll try to reason with him.” Youngjae assures the group as he gets up to follow Jaebum.

“I’m sorry,” Jinyoung apologizes to the group before looking at Mark, “you didn’t need to witness that.”

“No, I’m sorry for causing so much trouble to your group.” Getting up from his seat abruptly he thinks of an excuse to say when Jinyoung grabs onto his hand.

“Mark, it’s okay just sit back down.”

“I should really go. I need some fresh air.” Pulling his hand away from Jinyoung he gets up in a hurry before walking out of the cafeteria. Hopefully getting some fresh air would help Mark feel better. He hadn’t meant to cause more trouble to Jinyoung and his group of friends. Perhaps he should stay away from them as well and just deal with Mingyu and his friends by himself.

 

 


Sorry for any grammatical errors and inaccurate depiction of Seoul/school system. Comments are most welcome. ((: