Chapter Three

Secret Sparks

Time travel; (in science fiction) travel through time into the past or the future.
***

I never heard the man's reply. I only saw him sprint out of the hospital room urgently, running as if his life depended on it. And now, I feel terrible. I was just joking. I wished I could tell him that. I remember him. Kim Jong Kook (Kie). Do I have any regrets? Definitely. If I had the power to go back in time, I would gladly, willingly and without hesitation choose to go back there to amend my tease.

Shall we continue? A voice asks.

My surroundings turn into a blur once again as I feel myself being into another dimension.

***

There's no such thing as an unromantic confession, such can only come from one's opinion. For example, some may argue that a romantic confession is when surrounded with sparkling chandeliers, reflecting the beauty of the bluish night sky, with millions of unique stars observing us. In a high-class restaurant, serving only the best dishes made by world class chefs, a three-quarter glass filled of quality red wine. A rose folded napkin placed on top of the polished, stainless, white plate. A variety of different sized cutlery that caters to the wide array of dishes available in the menu, which stands proudly on the table, waiting for someone to flip it open. Waiters and waitresses all ready and available to serve you, live cooking that never seizes to impress. Sometimes, even the most relaxing and soothing music are played whilst customers indulge in the delicacies. Over the top? Stereotypical, no. It is all necessary to make the perfect night.

What's wrong with those fancy preperations? Nothing, just the cost. While some disagree, claiming that even a simple dinner with the usual homemade cooked food is the best. No chandeliers, cutlery nor music. On the old, stratched wooden table with simply plates of the dish, a cup of water and the usual sized fork and spoon. Romantic? Still. Only difference? Effort.

I firmly believe in such. After all, I experienced it first hand.

Other than night time, there is another the skies are well known for- sunset. The perfect blend of various colours such orange, red, yellow and sometimes even pink that perfectly conveys the beauty of the sky near the horizon when it's at its point of getting hidden. The magnificent glow that streams in through the window of houses, the reflection of it in the vast blue. Truly a brilliant work of art. Many can only stare, admiring the view that erases all the negativity in life.

"Are we there yet?" I asked, silently moving my fingers to create a gap for me to peek into the place we are.

"Yes, we're almost there," Kie replied, "Please don't peek. I know you're bustling with excitement but still..."

A wave of guilt washed over me quickly for trying to do so. "I'm sorry," I apologised and quickly covered the mini gap between my fingers. I faced down, my eyes shut and followed Kie's hand.

"Wait here, alright? I'll be back in a while. Don't move, okay?"

I nodded my head and stopped in my tracks, patiently awaiting for his return. Within the next thirty seconds, Kie returned and continued to guide me to the location of his surprise for me.

"Here," he said gently, carefully leading me to sit. Then, he removed my blindfold.

I love sunsets, especially in the beach. It is where I can see the sun's glow spread from itself to the white clouds, making the already beautiful blue turn even better as it changes to a reddish-orange and pinkish hue whilst it makes its way to the horizon where it slowly covers itself, which only leaves us wanting more. That was exactly how I felt.

"Do you like it?" Kie asked worriedly.

"Like? I love it!" I exclaimed and went to embrace him, "Thank you!"

Kie heaved a sigh of relief, returned my hug and went to the back where he took a movable stove, a pot, chopping boards, cooking utensils, cutlery and a few ingredients.

"Pasta?" He asked me, "I wanted to try a new cuisine, something like Western, I think it will suit this environment."

"Yes please. Kie, you don't have to be so worried," I got up and planted a kiss on his cheek, "I'll enjoy it no matter."

Kie smiled and began to cook. First, he took out the 2 litres of mineral water and poured it into pot for it to boil and placed the pasta in it. While waiting for it to boil, he carefully but quickly cut the broccoli into small, equal pieces. Then, he washed the chopping board in the nearby tap, took the feta cheese, cut a portion of it and ran it under the small bowl of ice water for a few seconds before using his delicate hands to break it into small pieces. Thirdly, he poured two tablespoons of vinegar and olive oil and whisked them together. When the pasta was cooked, he drained the water and started to heat the pan that he had washed and dried, pouring a tablespoon of olive oil and threw the broccoli, cooked pasta and sauce in to fry, adding a pinch of pepper and salt.

He plated the cooked pasta only two plates, seperating them in an uneven way and finished by adding parsley on top.

"Sorry for the wait, Hyo." Kie apologised, wiping his hand with a piece of napkin and gave me the plate with more pasta.

"Kie, you're giving yourself too little. Take some of mine," I said.

"No, no. It's okay. It contains quite a bit of oil."

"Yes but I thought that olive oil is much healthier than usual cooking oil. Are you sure though? I would gladly give you some of mine."

Kie nodded his head. I sighed, nothing could change his mind.

He looked like a professional chef. An inviting rich aroma filled the air and I grabbed the cutlery and dove right into the food.

"Is it okay? Do you like it? It's my first time so I don't know if it's nice or not. I hope -" Kie panicked.

It's rather worrying on how he had absolutely no confidence in his surprise and cooking which I know he had put in a tremendous amount of effort in. I nod my head, chewing and savouring the pasta where the ingredients were clearly prepared and cooked with care. The flavours complemented each other, enhancing each and every one of them.

"Kie!" I interrupted, I can't stand for him to have so little self confidence, "First, please stop worrying. Second, I love everything you do."

"But -"

"I'm not saying that because I feel bad if I said I don't. I said it because it is delicious, really. The flavours are mixed well together, the pasta is neither undercooked nor overcooked. And most importantly, this simple dish is an expression of your love for me. It has a lot of effort." I reassured him, "You only just asked me to be your girlfriend earlier today but yet, this passion of yours is undeniably strong and unwavering. I love that about you, how you try your best in all your endeavours."

***

A dark bluish-black sky greets me as my eyes flutter open from my sleep. My body feels stiff, naturally, and being the morning person I am, hardly any yawns come by. Needless to say, I feel energetic, ready for the day to pass by. I don't question my surroundings while I sit up and stretch, relaxing my tense muscles after sleeping for so long. The night was, without saying, one of the best sleeps I have gotten.

Despite that, there is an odd and out-of-place feeling. The sense of belonging is not present for some weird reason. I scan my surroundings and notices a lot of things that are weird or if must, incorrect. The ceiling wall, the four side walls, the table, the chair, the wardrobe, the bed.

I am usually surrounded with 5 white walls, naturally the floor was wooden, but this was a whole lot more complicated. The usual white paint is replaced by a vivid and realistic painting of the night sky filled with various constellations. The slightly different shades of blue only add to the nicely painted view of the night sky. Merely looking at it brings me to the open air as if I am staring at the real deal. The about to tear white surrounding walls are now, also, a good mixture and blend of colours. As such, violet and navy blue. Again, adding to the night sky feel.

The table, chair, bed and wardrobe, unlike the walls, are glossy white which bring out a majestic feel, in my opinion, even though they are simple designed plastic chairs. The slight sparkles resemble the differently unique stars in the blue. The white bedsheets and stand of the bed, where I lay down in, effectively allow me to seem as if I am on a star itself, having a close-up. They are the complete opposite of my bedroom, these are costly.

However, despite these changes, this is, without any doubt, my room. There are countless pictures of myself and Kie hanging on the walls and notice boards. In them, our smiling is contagious. They light up my room in their own way, a very different star if you put it that way.

On my table, there are stacks of scripts that are highlighted in various colours- blue, yellow and green- and pencil markings beside almost every blue marking, serving as a reminder, as well as ways to better act as the character I am supposed to act as. They are foreign but yet, they seem so right. They just seem to click in my mind.

Beside the scripts, there is a calendar with light pen scribbles that I recognise as my handwriting. Puzzled, that is how I feel. The calendar has a big writing of '2010' written below December. 2010, I infer as the year. That's wrong. The year I am in is the twentieth century, not the twenty first. I cast my questions aside and reach out for my phone to read the date. Monday, 12 December, I think, tracing my finger against the paper, skimming through the dates. It read 'Running Man filming @ Haeng Shin Station. Be there early, roughly 6:15pm ><' and below it also wrote 'Date with Kie after filming <3' Remembering the time from earlier when I had checked the date, I knew I had to leave soon. I thrash through my wardrobe, finding something comfortable and warm to wear and took off to the site.

I am wearing a beige coloured jacket with a brown zipper and two, also brown, straps.  Paired with it are a scarf and a pair of gloves that are white. As expected, I wear a bluish-black jeans, that will protect me from the chilling winds in winter.

My phone vibrates, signalling that a message or phone call has been sent.

'Reaching your house in 5. Meet me at the pickup?'

'Yup! Drive safely :)'

'Noted. See you soon xoxo'

'Yeah, xoxo'

In a matter of minutes, I take the first bag I see and make my way to outside my door where Kie is going to pick me up. I see a silver van curving and making its way from the turn a few metres away. The silver van decelerates and Kie opens the door for me. He places his hand out, inviting me to join him in the van, which I, of course, accept.

"Hi, Kie and Gap Jin oopa. 1 versus 9, huh? I wonder who the guest will be," I say, unlocking then tapping on the phone screen, reviewing the message sent in the Running Man chat.

"Hey! Yeah, I guess the producers (PD) want to insert this system into our blood, making us do these tricking! They are cruel, aren't they?" Kie accuses jokingly.

"It is a good way to earn Running Balls!" I counter, based on my knowledge I read up.

Kie leans on my shoulder, and mumbles, "Today will be another rough and tiring filming. Are you sure you're alright going on a date after this? I don't want to exhaust you."

I take his hand and places it on my palm, "Yes, I'm certain." I reassure.

With Gap Jin helping us along, we reach the station.

When we reach, we greeted by Yoo Jae Suk and Ji Suk Jin whom I recognise from the pictures on the Internet, knowing them via my contacts. It is not just them I know, I know them all, the Running Man cast.

Lee Kwang Soo, occupation(s): actor. Normally called Gwang Soo. Insanely tall. Frames people (jokingly) during Running Man filming.
Song Joong Ki, occupation(s): actor. Of average height. He and I are part of the Song-Song siblings/couple during Running Man filming (strictly for work purposes).
Ji Suk Jin, occupation(s): comedian. Also Jae Suk's sunflower. No doubt, a respectable elder in this family.
Yoo Jae Suk, occupation(s): comedian, emcee (MC). Also known as the nation's MC. Caring and quickwitted.
Lizzy, occupation(s): idol (After School). Lively and bubbly. Recently joined Running Man and is the youngest among us.
Kim Jong Kook aka Kie, occupation(s): singer. My boyfriend. Known as the Commander during Running Man. The leader of  'Jong Kook and the 2 kids'. Only weak spot: women.
Kang Gary, occupation(s): singer (Leessang). Peaceful in all situations. Gary and I are known as Monday Couple on set. Part of the group 'Jong Kook and the 2 kids'.
Haha, occupation(s): singer and host. Childlike, enjoyable. Has been dressing in clothings similar to Pororo. Part of the group 'Jong Kook and the 2 kids'.

"Good evening!" I greet the crew cheerfully when I see them.

They do likewise and invite Kie and I to their conversation, which we happily oblige.

Soon, arriving at the set are the remaining members: Kwang Soo, Joong Ki, Lizzy, Gary and Haha.

"Good evening. As sent in the group chat, we are going to have a 1 versus 9: Trick the Guest during our filming today. It will take place in our final destination, Gwang Myeong station, so you'll have time to discuss and plan your strategies." The PD informs us.

"Ahh..!" We all gasp, nodding our heads, our curiosity growing.

"You will a pick one piece of paper from the can. Each piece of paper will have a different line. Your job is to get the guest to say that line." The PD continues and passes us the metal can where we pick a piece of paper.

***

"It's another Running Man filming again!" Jae Suk starts and we clap our hands enthusiastically, awaiting the guest's arrival.

My heart is palpitating in my chest, filled with both nervousness and excitement.

"Hello," Jae Suk suddenly greets a few minutes into the opening, in between of the little comments and jokes we are making.

"Oh! Hello!" We all are taken aback but yet acknowledge his presence by bowing, and Haha continues, "You scared me!"

"Kim Jae Dong-ssi! Hello," Jae Suk says again before inquiring, "What are you doing here?"

Jae Dong stands beside Haha, his hands in front of him. His lips curved upwards, revealing a smile. "I'm here for filming." He answers, his reply sounding almost a question.

"Ahh... really?" Jae Suk asks, "We must take care of our guest. I am looking forward to see who it is."

"I will wait here till the guest arrives," Jae Dong replies which we agree to.

"Okay, sure. Revealing our guest- 5, 4, 3, 2, 1."

Everyone's hands are clasped together, eager to meet the real guest but no one else makes an entrance.

"It's really you?" Jae Suk turns to Jae Dong half-surprised.

"Yes," Jae Dong laughs and we resume our jokes and comments from earlier, with our new addition to today's episode.

"Today, we are at Hawng Shin station. I presume we will be travelling?" Jae Suk asks.

"Yes, the targetted venue is Gwang Meong station." The PD clearly states, "To get there, we will be passing by Yong San station where you will be tasked to do a certain mission there. Needless to say, there is a time limit and you will not be allowed to board the train unless the mission is completed. The first team to take the flag at Gwang Meong station will receive the Running Ball. Okay, I will now announce the teams. Blue team- Kim Jong Kook, Gary, Haha and Lizzy. Red team- Lee Gwang Soo, Song Ji Hyo and Song Joong Ki. Yellow team- Yoo Jae Suk, Ji Suk Jin and Kim Jae Dong."

When I heard Kwang Soo's name being called, I was sure I was in with him for sure.

"I hate this!" I expressed my displeasure aloud, jokingly of course, outside the set, I would never dislike this, they were all fun to be around.

Joong Ki cheered upon hearing his name being called. He led his hands up in the air, waiting for me to hold them and jump in joy in return, which I did, neglecting Gwang Soo who tries to do the same.

"The train we will be boarding will be the 7:35pm one. First, everyone will have to buy their tickets. Next, each team member must have a hot beverage bought from the vending machine to bring to the train. You may begin."

Everyone dashes to the flight of stairs entering the station, beginning our own methods of interruption and disturbance.

"Joong Ki-ah, follow me to buy the drinks. Gwang Soo-ah, can you buy the tickets?" I ask, quickly making my way through the station that is bustling with people who are catching the trains home.

There are no questions asked. We did as I suggest, occasionally disrupting the other teams. Not even Kie's group was let off the hook. And safe to say, we boarded the train with ease. Kie's team, however, I cannot say for certain.

The red team, us, and yellow team erupt into roars of triumph and happiness. Could it be? The strongest team, eliminated? I can't say for certain that I am not feeling sad, I was looking forward to spending more time with Kie, along with the rest of the blue team, as we joke and laugh.

"The blue team did not board the bus!?" We converse among ourselves, delighted at the outcome but yet, we are still in disbelief. It seems too good to be true.

Of course it is. Just as we are in the middle of our celebration, a familiar torso from the side of my eye comes into sight, with a blue scarf tightly wrapped around his neck, his hands holding one cup of hot beverage.

7:36pm, all safe.

The start is the easier obstacle to overcome. Sadly it is true.

Our next task, which is in our team luggages is much harder. My team had to withdraw money from the ATM and buy a book with a certain title, Kie's had to do the same, except buy four waffles for himself and his teammates. Jae Suk's too had to withdraw money but buy a variety of snacks from a convenience store. High risk of being disqualified? Definitely. As we could only send a group representative, we voted on the long-legged Gwang Soo while the blue team, expectedly sent the Commander, Kie and yellow sending the fast Jae Suk.

First, blue team. Second, yellow team. There was no third team to board the train. We got eliminated, our traces of the Runninng Ball vanished within our sight.

Kie's team had arrived at the flag first with Kie soloing the block against the yellow team using his unbelievable strength. Finally, it is our 1 versus 9: Trick the Guest challenge.

We drew our papers, unfolding them one by one in an orderly manner to reveal our lines that we have to make Jae Dong say.

Kwang Soo: Do you love her?
Joong Ki: You're not good looking.
Ji Hyo: Are you interested in me?
Suk Jin: You're really funny.
Jae Suk: Don't joke around.
Lizzy: Is there a problem?
Jong Kook: -A saying-
Gary: I envy you.
Haha: If it's one room, you're finished.

It pricks me, having to hear someone say 'Are you interested in me' but I still decide to do so, going along with the other members to fool Jae Dong. And I succeed, relieved that I won't have to do that again. Unfortunately, Jae Dong soon found out about the real 1:9 challenge which earned him the Running Ball.

"Thank you!" I am jumping up and down, extremely grateful for the opportunity the PD has given me. The crew had decided to team me up with Kie as a chaser, fulfilling my wish that I made last week, apparently. Meaning, I can spend more time with Kie.

The PD nods his head as a 'no problem' and requests, "For the birth of the strongest chasing team in Running Man, may I request if you do this?"

The request is something you would see in an action film, to hook viewers. That we agree that it is reasonable.

Kie is walking beside me to the automated glass door in front me us. His aura has changed completely, to his commanding one. "I promise I will deliver the Running Ball to you," Kie whispers, moving his mouth as little as possible to avoid being seen on camera. I smile at his whisper and my confidence builds up. The glass door opens, and we travel a few metres away from it before stopping to face each other. I place my palms on his, our forehead brushing against each other and we both give a devilish smile. We warn, "Mission team, just you wait."

"Thank you again, it was perfectly executed." The PD comments.

The horn signalling the start of the race is soon heard and we split up, running off to find our preys.

"Jong Kook oppa!" I call out into the walkie talkie, with the location of where I caught sight of people in yellow. I gave chase, my heart in ease as I know Kie will corner them in the direction I am leading them to.

And it worked. Hiding behind a poster was Kie, silently watching for them.

Jong Kook
I could hear the heavy breathing and quick footsteps growing louder with each passing second. I moved the poster slightly towards my left, just letting enough space to allow me to observe the now empty space in front. My legs are in position, ready to pounce on anyone in yellow. Yellow suits appear within a second, I think, and I am right. I shove the poster aside, sprinting to catch Jae Suk who is the nearest to me. I grab hold of him tightly and quickly finishes the job.

After catching a few, we decided that it was more effective if Ji Hyo were to act as my 'eyes', having a eagle-eyed view to the station.

"Jong Kook oopa," Ji Hyo says through the walkie talkie clearly before giving me the instructions on where to go.

Needless to say, I sprinted towards the location, first locating our prey and next, running at full speed to rip their name tags.

Back to Ji Hyo
I am walking through the station, looking for the remaining Haha and Jae Dong.

"Please let me go, Ji Hyo-yah," Haha pleads when he sees me. "Please. I helped you last week, please help me- you can catch me later if you meet me a-"

Haha signals, putting a finger on his lips and points to his hiding place where he scrambles to when he notices Jong Kook coming.

"Ji Hyo, did you find anything?" Kie asks me.

I hesitate, should I let the cat of out the bag? I nod my head, pointing towards Haha's hiding place. I didn't mean to betray him, I simply need the Running Ball to avoid getting punished which will ruin our plans for a date.

Haha eliminated? Yes. Only Jae Dong is left, as we seperate again, searching for final obstacle to overcome. Was Jae Dong successful? No. I was literally screaming when I saw Jae Dong walking in the station, searching for the mission team's items.

"Jong Kook oppa, meet me outside!" I slur, my mind booming with excitement. Jae Dong has noticed me and has ran to escape whilst I have given chase. I can feel the wind against my face slightly as I pumped myself harder to catch up with Jae Dong. I grappled him to the group, hooking him till Kie came to finish.