Chapter Two

Secret Sparks

Confusion; uncertainty about what is happening, intended, or required or the state of being bewildered or unclear in one's mind about something.

***

 

There was nothing but total darkness surrounding me as I knew instinctively that something is wrong. I could feel cold chills of the icy wind rubbing against my bare skin, that sent shivers down my spine whilst I gulped my saliva nervously in response.

 

A naseuating smell whiffed in the air and my face contorted into a look of disgust as I looked around anxiously, hoping that the smell would go. And that was when I realised, my sense of sight was gone. My eyes widened in fear and shock, my mouth agape as I stare into blackness. I closed my eyes, accepting that my line of vision will never come back.

 

Or so I thought. My eyes shot open at once upon feeling the tightening of something rough on my skin, my neck to be precise. My legs moved in all directions, frantically kicking to escape the forceful grip. My head was shaking as black dots slowly left my vision and I let out a shriek of horror.

 

Corpses laid themselves into my vision as the golden-brown grains of sand seep themselves through my feet. My chest tightened and choked and I took in big gasps of air. Calm down, Soo-yeon. Calm down, I repeated to myself over and over again till the palpitating began to slow down to its usual beat.

 

"Get...get off of...me!" I struggled to shout as the forceful grip on my neck came back, this time threatening to strangle me to death. My hands tried moving to my neck to remove the forceful object but was cut by the right ropes securing them together, refusing to budge no matter how much I tried to break free.

 

I could feel blood being drained from my face as I focused on my current situation and background I'm in.

 

SOMEONE.

 

HEL...P.

 

P-PLEAZ!

 

No words came out of my mouth, all the shouting and screaming had been in my mind. My eyebrows creased in pain as my back is hunched forward, as if air was out of my body.

 

Fortunately, the choking feeling stopped but was soon replaced with a sharp, ripping feeling on my arms and legs. I wanted to cry out, to release this unbearable pain but I couldn't. My thoughts were in a mess, my breathing now slower, heavier and shorter than usual.

 

"P...please let me go..." I managed to mutter.

 

Will you have the strength to continue? A firm voice spoke as tears ran down my cheeks.

 

"Who are you?" I raised my eyebrows questioningly, "Reveal yourself!"

 

A dark figure started looming over me as the air in front of me gather slowly.

 

I am Demise, the tall figure said, with her long black hair blowing to the gentle breeze. The God of Death.

 

"D-death?" I stammered, averting eye contact with Demise.

 

Demise nodded her head and let out her hand. Yes. I am the faded. And so is death. You're pale. What's wrong?

 

I swallowed my saliva nervously, my entire body shaking. Break free! BREAK FREE! I told myself as I used all my strength I could muster to break free from the threatening ropes.

 

Look carefully, my dear Soo-yeon. Demise stated ever so calmly.

 

I hunched my back and peered downwards.

 

"T-That's impossible!" I shouted but my voice only results in a squeak.

 

The sight before my eyes was the exact opposite of pleasant; my mouth only opened as I let out a gasp of horror. I know my face was turning paler at the second, sickly pale. My eyes bloodshot as I stared, my heart beating against my chest, the rise and fall of my chest going at a much faster and irregular pace than usual. My lips perched together, dry. My muscles tensed, even swallowing, which is an effortless task, seemed so unnatural. My clammy palms were tight together as I fiddled with the small silver ring. My previous movements stopped momentarily as I stayed there, in a frozen position, unable to believe my eyes. This reality. Is so unreal.

 

There was nothing. Absolutely nothing. Only the shadows of a rope, moving entirely on its own.

 

It was defying gravity. Defying logic. And defying everything.

 

"Please..." I panted, my head now slung down. "Please, let me go."

 

Tell me, what is the most important thing to you?

 

"Time," I replied calmly, as I slowly threw my head back, eyes locking with Demise.

 

Demise returned contact, studied me carefully and said, I see. If it's time you want, it's time you shall have. Use it well.

 

There's a quote by Publilius Syrus that states, "When there is unity, there is always victory." A victory alone is not confirmed but being together is all it takes.

 

One. Two. Three. One mere black dot is harmless but hundreds affect your vision. Everything. Went. Black.

 

***

 

My body feels weak against the soft cushion below me. My skin in contact with the shirt and pants I'm wearing that felt extremely uncomfortable.

 

I stand in what seems to be a virtual reality. Both my arms fly up to my face, covering my face instantaneously. There is someone laying lifelessly on a bed.

 

To be exact, myself.

 

A thousand murmurs pound against my head as I clench my palms into balls and hold them tight. I bite my lower lip, as a tear slides down my eye painfully.

 

Please don't fear, it's only momentarily.

 

The voice is right, the pain gradually decreased and the world around me starts to spin. Everything was a blur.

 

***

 

My frail arms are at my side, not moving; lifeless. My vision is black. No matter how hard, I am cannot get my eyes to flutter open. Despite that, I still had my other four senses.

 

There was a whiff of medicine surrounding me. Sounds of babies crying, sounds of groans and whispers. A warm hand grips mine tightly which calms me.

 

"Please wake up," a voice said and a little while later, I can feel a soft touch of lips coming in contact with my forehead.

 

Even at this state, I feel loved. My lips curved up slightly, acknowledging the person. Next, I hear a pleasant gasp of surprise, as the same voice thanks me.

 

"That's enough, that's plenty. Thank you," it says.

 

It's okay. It's okay. I want... I want to speak to you.

 

I feel a hand pressed gently against my forehead as the person's finger twirls my hair slightly and appreciatively. A hot breath brushes against my earlobe, creating a satisfactory feeling in my stomach as I muster all the energy I could to move one of my fingers slightly. A hand interlocks with mine, and lifts my hand up in the process.

 

The beating of the heart is fast yet steady, a feeling of love and joy, I am sure. A melodic, high pitch voice reaches my ear. It's so soothing that it lets me conjure a slight smile. I tune in to my surroundings more, enhancing my sense of hearing while helps me my appreciation of this beautiful piece of work.

 

It's beautiful! No words can clearly explain how I feel. Even the phrase 'a work of art' is an understatement.

 

It's time you wake up, isn't it, Soo-yeon? The same voice that told me the pain would only be for a moment speaks.

 

It all happened too fast. One second my body was fine and the next, a jolt of pain courses though my body, making my back into a n-shape curve as my chest jerks upwards. I lose control of all my senses, everything quiet and dark.

 

Jolts of electricity pass through my body while I feel a metal device on my chest.

 

"Increase," I hear an unfamiliar voice say.

 

Though my vision is still a blur, the tension in the room is high, even I could sense it. It is filled with anxiety and worry.

 

I try time and time again to open my eyes but fail. Until, they finally did. Sighs of relief could be heard minutes ago, the tension from before ceasing.

 

My vision flickers in and out as I try to focus on the person in my line of vision. The blurry two figures soon merge as the facial features became clear.

 

The man runs a hand through his messy brown hair and places a hand on his chest, sighing in relief. His small, black eyes has a calming effect and his lips that was perched together in worry is now open in joy and excitement. A tear drop slides down his eyes as he carefully wraps his arms around my figure.

 

"Thank you! Thank you, Soo-yeon!"

 

I can only blink my eyes in confusion. Who is this man?

 

"W-who are you?" I ask, his face turning white as he releases the hug, staring at me.