Chapter One

Secret Sparks

Separation; the action or state of moving or being moved apart.

***

 

I used to think that I was unbreakable, strong mentally and mostly a robot but no, I am the exact opposite- frail, fragile and emotional. Nothing hurts more, absolutely nothing in the entire world felt as horrible as this.

 

My brain was not absorbing a single word the man in front of me said with his back facing me. Only my eyes were open and looking. I saw his slightly messy brown hair rustling in the gentle breeze which was turning more and more violent with each second, his shoulders drooped and his broad back expanded every few seconds in a slow pace.

 

"Soo-yeon?" A very distant voice was calling out to me but enough to snap me back to reality.

 

My visions started to zoom and focus back on the voice that was continuously calling me. I tilted my head downwards and bit my lower lips, determined to not let the tears get the better of me.

 

"Soo-yeon?" He repeated, his eyebrows were then knitted together, small pair of black eyes turned into lines of concern whilst he carefully placed his hand on my right shoulder.

 

"R-really..?" I hiccuped after a long pause, my legs were shaking violently as the rain poured relentlessly on us, which I took as an indication that the news were true. I looked up at him expectantly as my heart convinced me that I had misheard him.

 

I felt gravity pulling me down as the rain around us poured harder and stronger, I was no longer able to contain my tears. The last I know I would accept was acceptance itself. No no no no! I screamed and swung my arms up and down infuriated. I wanted to speak. I opened my mouth but there was a lump in my throat, no words or even sounds came out, only raindrops filled themselves in. I knew I shouldn't have looked at him! The thing I dreaded most. I regretted every second of my actions. I wish I hadn't.

 

"Y-you're joking, right?" I mumbled, my anger rose quickly, "Why? Why!? Why are you breaking your promise?" Both of my hands were at my chest, clenched into fists as I grabbed hold of the collar of my shirt and gritted my teeth.

 

We stood in silence until he pulled me and buried my head in his chest, which left me no room to struggle.

 

"Please," he pleaded.

 

I stopped immediately and he wrapped his hands around me tighter. I could feel his breath on my neck as he inhaled and exhaled slowly and calmly.

 

"I don't want to leave either, Soo-yeon but you too know I must." He said in a slighter lower voice than usual.

 

I could hear his sobbing as we both knelt on the ground. We didn't seperate, we didn't budge, we didn't struggle. We simply enjoyed each other's company for the last time.

 

"P-please don't leave me...please...I thought we made a promise...please don't leave...y-your parents can't control you, neither can they control your life...fight, please...for me, for yourself...you're a fighter." I pleaded as I began to hit his chest in fustration and sadness.

 

Every single part of me cried out, increasing the amount of tears spilled. I used to think acceptance was easy, I was wrong. So wrong. I hiccuped and choked c on a tear which invited itself into my mouth.

 

"Are you okay?" A pair of arms held my shoulders firmly yet agitatedly. I looked up and stared into the black eyes as my wary of surroundings decreased significantly. I was absorbed in those small black orbs until a hand brushed my back in a soothing, linear manner. I blinked as my face showed my usual blank expression. A thumb slid across my face, gently wiping off the still rolling tears. I heaved in and out, before I suggested in a barely audible volume, "We...we could go to another country."

 

His hands flew up in shock, his mouth agape as he stared at me blankly. He repeated, "A-another country?" 

 

I nod, not caring about how selfish I am right now, I only wanted him to stay, nothing more, nothing less.

 

"Soo-yeon, you know we, no...I, can't do that. It's useless. Our...our sepearation is inevitable," his mouth barely opened as he struggled to produce these sentences, "Something worse will happen. My parents, if I leave now, I can still maintain contact with you even overseas. If not, they will cut off all contacts with you. Please understand my tight situation..."

 

"I'm willing to take this risk. If we succeed, we'll be together, forever. That's all that matters to me. I don't...I can't survive without you. Pull me, drag me, I don't care. Please, just let me come with you!"

 

He shook his head dejectedly. The water gate opened once again, falling more quickly and furiously than before. No no no no!

 

Acceptance is never easy and will never ever be.

 

"They'll check every flight in the airports in Korea. They won't stop till I return." He said as he cupped my head in his hands, and planted a kiss on my forehead.

 

The single kiss revealed all.

 

"I am your  Kookie. And shall always be only yours. Just remember me as your love, Kie, oppa- anything! Promise me that I will always have a place in your heart. Promise me that you'll love me till the end of time. Promise me that you'll be okay when I leave. Promise me those please." He gave a gentle smile.

 

My eyelids closed and reopened, tears welled up in my eyes, streaming down again like rivulets as I took his pinky around mine.

 

"One more thing?" He asked.

 

I can only nod my head.

 

He pulled my head closer to his as our lips touched, both savouring our last kiss. He wrapped his arm around my back, pressing me even closer to him as he pushed his tongue into my mouth.

 

"I love you, Cheon Soo-yeon!" He shouted once we parted for air and took off immediately, not caring about the heavily pouring rain.

 

One. Two. Three. Seconds and steps. One more and he's gone. One more and he's out of sight. One more and...

 

"Kie, call me! I LOVE YOU, ALWAYS! I'LL SEE YOU AGAIN, JONG KOOK OPPA. GOOdbye..." I shouted and waved my goodbyes.

 

Jong Kook (only for this paragraph)

I tilted my head slightly, just enough to see Soo-yeon waving. I could only conjure a smile, she didn't have to say that. Her actions said so and I am eternally grateful for everything. Nothing but carbon dioxide escaped my mouth. I loath myself, so very much for leaving her- the love of my life, my other half that completes me entirely- I didn't fight for her nor myself. I only gripped the jacket I was wearing that's soaked with her tears which I resent myself for, that she shed tears, not of happiness but of sadness. I just left her alone. Alone in this rain... And with nowhere in mind, I ran, away from her.

 

Back to Soo-yeon's POV

I wasn't dreaming. It was all real. Reality. Cold hard reality striking and mocking me. He left. He really did. I'm alone. All alone. The strength from my legs depleted all together in a single second, turning into jelly as I stumbled down back onto the ground. I had just gotten up to shout goodbye but now, I'm back down. Collapsed. A throbbing pain ached my heart. Why? Why? What is this pain? I questioned myself. You know very well that you won't stop him even if he wanted to stay. So what's the pain for, Soo-yeon? You can be more selfish than you already are. He has potential and a brilliant voice. Stopping him from going isn't and will never help, you know that. Even if it meant you would never see him, you will put his dreams and happiness in front, right? Just like you did, Soo-yeon.

 

A tear slid. He had left.

 

Jong Kook (only for this paragraph)

I wanted to punch myself in the gut but I couldn't. I gripped the stand beside me as my body sat on its own, reminding me time and time again that I couldn't injure myself because of this. Soo-yeon would be sad. I hung my head down and stared at the rocks in front of me. Nothing could compare to this painful feeling, the pain of leaving your lover. The pain of forcing myself to tell her we're over when never wanted that. Not once and not ever.

 

Life, life isn't a fairytale. Life is a living nightmare when you're alone. Life is unfair. Life has challenges that stands in a person's way. And fate, it is cruel and unkind. Together, a pure living nightmare. They bring two people together but eventually seperate them.

 

***

 

Jong Kook

I scrolled through the pictures of us, my eyes were tearing up as I dragged my luggage to the now available for boarding airplane. I could only smile as those memories flooded my mind.

 

Two wearing black. One wearing a carefully ironed tuxedo while the other wore a black dress with a gold stripe near the neck. Hands interlocked, both beaming at the camera. Both formally attired as if going up on stage to receive a prize.

 

Our first date.

 

I closed my eyes as I put my phone on airplane mode, with a heavy heart, dragged my feet to board the aeroplane.